A statement on the website of the sports’ governing body said the selection process would choose “a candidate team to participate at a competitive level” until the 2020 season at least.
“The overall long-term interests of the championship will determine which candidates are selected,” it added.
Potential applicants have until January 3rd to submit expressions of interest to the FIA.
Formula One has suffered a dearth of new entrants in recent seasons due to spiralling costs. Since 2002 only five new operations have entered the sport, three of which have since left:
|2002||Toyota||Left at end of 2009|
|2006||Super Aguri||Left in mid-2008|
|2010||HRT||Left at end of 2012|
The FIA previously announced a new cost cap will come into effect for teams from 2015, the first year in which the new competitors could arrive.
2015 F1 season
- Will Hamilton have the chance to take the fight to Rosberg?
- 2015 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix qualifying in pictures
- “Huge mistake” by Ferrari caused Vettel’s Q1 elimination
- Set-up change left Hamilton at a disadvantage
- Perez expects difficult race after qualifying fourth
Browse all 2015 F1 season articles
Image ?é?® Lotus