Webber has first run in LMP1 Porsche

F1 pictures

Mark Webber, Porsche LMP1, Algarve, 2013Mark Webber has driven Porsche’s 2014 LMP1 contender for the first time at the Autodromo Internacional do Algarve in Portugal.

Webber will race for the team in the World Endurance Championship next year following his departure from Red Bull. He will officially join the team on January 1st next year and thanked his former F1 team for allowing him to make an early start to his Porsche career.

“This is a major and important step for us all,” said Webber. “It allows me to integrate with the team quicker and to contribute to further developing the LMP1 race car.”

“We have a long way to go and it involves a lot of hard work. I have no misconceptions about this.”

The car ran in camoflaged bodywork as it has done in all of its tests so far.

F1 pictures

View more F1 pictures

Images ?é?® Porsche

62 comments on Webber has first run in LMP1 Porsche

1. Bosley (@bosley) said on 11th December 2013, 11:09

I for one am very excited.
    3 Big teams hitting it out for le-mans, been a while since that happened.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 11th December 2013, 15:07

@bosley same ! I never really got interested in teh results of the race since I never followed a driver in teh series, but now that I do, I’m looking forward to a new experience as a fan aswell !

• Ryan Fairweather said on 11th December 2013, 15:10

Toyota will quit if they don’t win this year.

• Flying Lobster 27 said on 11th December 2013, 15:52

I would have said that of 2013. I know Peugeot made a new car (the 908) and ran it only one year, but the manufacturer hit major trouble. I think Toyota will be in for another two years. The TS010 ran for two years, the TS020 (GT-One) did too, and the same goes for the TS030, as next year’s car is the TS040. Two years, then I think Toyota will turn their focus to the WRC.
        Amusingly, the last time we had more than two factory prototype teams at Le Mans was 1999, and two of the manufacturers present were… Audi and Toyota.

2. Proesterchen (@proesterchen) said on 11th December 2013, 11:11

One can only imagine how underwhelming it must be to switch from what is arguably the quickest race car of the year to this oddly-proportioned lump.

3. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 11th December 2013, 11:29

His helmet suggests that he’ll be retaining some form of link to Red Bull, similar to DC. It seems like his usual lid with all of the RBR sponsors other than red Bull taken off of it (Inifiniti and Co).

4. The car looks ok from the front or back, but ugly as sin from the side with that fin. Might not be quite as bad with the livery rather than camoflage. Never watched the series but i guess most of the teams’ cars have this feature.

5. MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 11th December 2013, 11:58

Nothing funnier than seeing the few who have commented that clearly don’t follow sports car racing nearly as much as F1

• Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 11th December 2013, 12:02

Well this is an F1 site, it’s to be expected. Other than Le Mans I don’t watch WEC at all, but I might follow Webber into watching it next season. It sounds a good bit more enticing than many aspects of F1 at the moment! I think I’m not alone in this, Webber is such a popular figure that WEC looks like it’ll be getting a few more fans next season.

• JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 11th December 2013, 14:39

I gave the WEC a try at Silverstone this year and I’ve been hooked ever since. I’d firmly recommend you watch it. It’s the perfect remedy for anyone who has grown disenchanted with F1’s new gimmicky image. And with Nissan, Honda and Ferrari all looking into building prototypes, the future looks genuinely bright for Le Mans. That’s more than what we can say for F1.

• Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 11th December 2013, 17:52

Unfortunately considering the double points fiasco on top of everything else, I’d have to agree. From what you’ve said WEC definitely sounds like something I’d enjoy. Looking forward to giving it a go, thanks!

6. JPedroCQF1 (@joao-pedro-cq) said on 11th December 2013, 12:08

Yes, the AIA finally got some interesting use!

7. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 11th December 2013, 12:25

At least they have testing in WEC, maybe they are not so concerned about costs ….

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 11th December 2013, 13:26

@tifoso1989 or maybe those costs are not so big. But yes, testing is needed in F1 to level the field (I mean, restricted days for every team, as it’s now, but many more days during the year).

• PeterG said on 11th December 2013, 13:48

testing is needed in F1 to level the field

Testing would have the opposite effect as the teams who can afford to design, manufacturer & test more bits will quickly build an advantage over those who cannot.

Its no coincidence that the field has been much closer since testing was banned in 2009.

8. I feel nothing for Porsche but I will try to follow Mark as he’ll turn the endurance racing upside down not literally though, figuratively is better literally is used too often right Mark?

9. Sergey Martyn said on 11th December 2013, 13:21

Good luck Mark!
    So far I haven’t seen many closed wheels races except DTM at Moscow Raceway last August but now I will follow LMP series.

10. Timothy Katz (@timothykatz) said on 11th December 2013, 13:29

Looks pretty gorgeous to me.
    I wonder how they apply a livery like that all over – it’s even on the mirror supports. Do they map the entire surface ( and inside the air intakes) and then produce vinyl pre-cut to size or do they cut and snip it into position as best they can and then hair-dryer it tight?
    Hope it goes well for Mark next season. Just as long as Porsche don’t beat Audi.

11. sato113 (@sato113) said on 11th December 2013, 14:02

Is Webber still part of the Red Bull drivers group? or has he not updated his helmet yet to remove the logo?

• katederby (@katederby) said on 11th December 2013, 18:35

Webber will remain a Red Bull athlete but not part of a driver group or IRBR, just like Mitch Evans. That continued sponsorship is due to his great relationship with Dietrich Mateschitz.

12. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 11th December 2013, 17:34

Looks a great track :P

13. That car looks absolutely stunning, if a little dazzling from the side view (I know it’s an interim livery). I’m looking forward to following Wibbah, and the WEC in general, next year. No doubt he’ll do a great job.