All change at Force India as Perez joins Hulkenberg

2014 F1 season

Sergio Perez, Vijay Mallya, Force India, 2013Force India have confirmed Sergio Perez will race for them in 2014 after signing a “multi-year deal” with the former McLaren driver.

Force India co-owner Vijay Mallya said he was “very impressed with his recent performances”.

“He already has several podium finishes to his name and being chosen by McLaren last year was a clear indication that he is a driver to watch for the future,” Mallya added.

Perez will partner Nico Hulkenberg, whose signing was confirmed earlier this month, as the team changes both its drivers for the new season.

“By pairing Sergio alongside Nico, we enter the new season with an extremely competitive line-up, which will go toward helping us achieve our goals for the new season,” said Mallya.

“Coming here was always my first choice and I?m really happy everything has now been confirmed,” said Perez.

“This is a young team with a lot of determination and they?ve produced competitive cars for the last few years. It?s all change for next season with the new regulations, but I already have a good feeling about 2014.”

The news means both Paul di Resta and Adrian Sutil have lost their seats.

See the updated list of 2014 F1 drivers and teams

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?? McLaren/Hoch Zwei

137 comments on All change at Force India as Perez joins Hulkenberg

1. I think this is a really good line-up for Force India. Nico Hulkenberg has been massively impressive in both 2012 and 2013 and is likely to continue growing, while possessing a great natural ability. Sergio Perez needs to re-capture his early 2012 form to really be any better of a prospect than Paul di Resta, but has more potential as well.

Hopefully Adrian Sutil is out of F1. He did what he could and was not enough. Paul di Resta the person I wouldn’t be sad to see leave the sport, but the driver is skilled and mature enough to be in F1, but had a lot of potential – to be the next Adrian Sutil. I’d prefer him to stay in F1 over Adrian Sutil.

Still, I’m glad to see Force India doing well enough to take on two drivers based on talent, AND them being high-potentials. Not a fan per se, but I’m sure F1 fans could use this news after Maldonado to Lotus and an eerie silence surrounding Sauber.

2. Well that’s the first piece of good news in weeks

3. Zoey (@f14life) said on 12th December 2013, 17:58

Finally some good news from the F1 world…Kudos to Mallya..give them the car and results will come..

2014 is shaping up to be a cracking season with some interesting pairings minus the last race of course :)

4. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 12th December 2013, 18:47

No disrespect to Force India but when you look at the strength of their line up you’d think it was for McLaren or Lotus!

Glad to see Perez and Hulkenberg both in F1 for next year and I hope they can both get Force India on the podium.

5. Prateek said on 12th December 2013, 19:00

Am i correct in guessing, that McLaren wanted Magnussen in Force India in 2014, that fell through cos maybe Force India wasnt interested in getting a rookie, McLaren were pretty determined in getting him into F1 and so got him the McLaren seat, and kinda swapped Perez in the process?Just guessing here people, somehow remember Whitmarsh talking abt getting Magnussen a seat in some other team originally.

6. Deurmat (@deurmat) said on 12th December 2013, 19:06

I’m sorry but for me Perez has had his time to shine. Yes the car was not good at McLaren the past year. But even so he didn’t even once impress or stood out against Button.

7. Paul (@frankjaeger) said on 12th December 2013, 20:00

Really happy for Checo. Deserved another shot at racing in F1. Would be cruel if he fell into obscurity after such poor fortunes

8. John H (@john-h) said on 12th December 2013, 20:36

Force India have just won themselves a load of fans, myself included. I have no sympathy for Di Resta – even if he was quite quick, his attitude to his own team was inexcusable. Shame Calado had to miss out though.

With this pairing, hopefully more sponsors will get on board and it will show that 2 decent drivers (not just 1) can add value to a team.

9. Nickpkr251 said on 12th December 2013, 21:20

Ok engine change, check, driver line up, check, now less orange on the car, get Brawn and the competition wil be seriously scare before even starting.
    Mmh without Di resta I think I can start liking FI.

10. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 12th December 2013, 21:33

A shame the teams are looking at their best after many years, exactly the same year FIA screws the show with the double points.
    I’m still begging for a micracle so that rule is scrapped off before Australia starts. :(

11. MarkM (@mpmark) said on 12th December 2013, 21:38

mallya made 2 great choices with what he had left to choose from! glad he removed “complaining di resta” and Sutil to start fresh. tyes di resta is a great driver but he complains way too much in my opinion…

this will be interesting pairing, I think sergio will be a great gauge for nico to prove and show the top teams what he can do, even with a weight disadvantage as sergio is of the smaller stature which is more desired by a most teams and probably one of te reasons nico was left out to dry by the top teams for next year due to the minimum weight limits on the cars.

12. jre_f1 (@jre_f1) said on 12th December 2013, 21:48

Good news for Force India, its a far more dynamic line up.

Sutil had a couple of decent races in his career but he’s had a good run and its probably time for somebody else to have a go.

Di Resta for me has shown to be very ordinary, I think he’s had plenty of time and to be brutally honest he’s brought nothing special to the table at any grand prix he’s been to, I think back to Anthony Davidson, that guy showed more potential in an f1 car but had far less of an opportunity. I think his career in f1 is over and with some justification, there is much talent out there that will do more with that opportunity, drivers can’t cruise through there careers now and keep getting drives (Nick Heidfeld anyone?!).

It does leave Sauber with the only recognisable decent seat. They need somebody established, Kovalinen?

13. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 12th December 2013, 21:56

The question is: what will Sauber do?

A Sutil-Gutierrez duo is weak, a Sutil-Sirotkin duo even weaker.

Come back Kobayashi! :D

14. Ben (@scuderia29) said on 12th December 2013, 22:09

I think thats a brilliant line-up, so much better than sutil and di resta

15. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 12th December 2013, 22:18

They tried conservative last year, so to see this kind of decision from FI is refreshing! I think they’ve done a really good job getting this lineup.