Sutil joins Sauber for 2014

2014 F1 season

Adrian Sutil, Force India, Singapore, 2013Adrian Sutil will continue his F1 career with Sauber next season after being dropped by Force India.

Team principal Monisha Kaltenborn said Sauber “have been wanting to work together with him for a while”.

“Adrian had already visited the factory at the end of September to have a look at the infrastructure. Adrian is not only very fast, but also brings a lot of experience, which is very important looking at the new regulations for next year.”

Sutil said he had “known for a while where I wanted to go” but “the negotiations took a bit longer than planned”.

“I am determined to do my part in order to have a successful future together with the Sauber F1 Team. The long and successful tradition in motorsport, combined with an impressive factory and one of the best wind tunnels in F1, have been fascinating me for a long time.”

Sutil made his F1 debut in 2007 with Spyker, which became Force India the following year, and remained with them ever since. He spent the 2012 season on the sidelines then returned to action this year.

Sauber have already lost Nico Hulkenberg to Force India and it remains to be seen whether Esteban Gutierrez will continue with them next year.

The team said it will announce its second driver at a later date. Sauber appointed Sergey Sirotkin as a test driver in July and said he would be undergo preparations with a view to him becoming “a racing driver for the team in 2014″, but have not yet confirmed whether he will race for them.

See the updated list of 2014 F1 drivers and teams

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?? Force India

135 comments on Sutil joins Sauber for 2014

1 2 3
  1. Alexander (@alexanderfin) said on 13th December 2013, 14:37

That’s a surprise!

2. PhilEReid (@philereid) said on 13th December 2013, 14:39

Adrian is not only very fast

Well, that’s a lie if ever I’ve heard one.

• magon4 (@magon4) said on 13th December 2013, 14:53

I think that is quite an exaggeration. Sutil has shown his worth many times. I can understand people not thinking he should stay in F1 because he’s been around so long, but he is in the sport on merit.
      Most F1Fanatics from this site actually voted him into their Top 6 only 2011, before he sat one out. And with him, you can always expect gutsy attacking moves and some wonderful performances.
      He might not be that consistent, but I do think he is relatively exciting to watch!

• PhilEReid (@philereid) said on 13th December 2013, 15:08

@magon4 I said he wasn’t fast, which he isn’t. He’s relatively exciting, but I wouldn’t choose him over a number of drivers.

@joshua-mesh Yeah, but I don’t rate Di Resta that highly, so it’s not such a great achievement to me.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 13th December 2013, 15:18

@magon4 how many times has he showed his worth? 5 in 6 years maybe. Not enough. Koba and Kova were shown the door with a lot more than that…

He might be exciting to watch (IMO, he isn’t), but if 2011 was his highlight, then it doesn’t say much. He was matched by a newcomer in his first season in formula cars fo a long time… and I don’t rate Di Resta that highly.

Sutil is a very average driver in my view… dissapointing to see him on the grid.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 13th December 2013, 15:44

@fer-no65

In fact, if they were looking for an exprienced driver Adrian Sutil is a good choice once Massa has joined Williams. Their options were: Di Resta, Kobayashi, Kubica, Alguersuari, Glock or they could just go crazy and bring Juan Pablo Montoya back. Another option could be a young promess like Félix da Costa…

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 13th December 2013, 16:54

@jcost I remember people were saying he has some sponsors, so that is just the only explanation…

• @jcost His girlfriend in the garage is still worth hiring him, I bet Sauber will get air-time boost due to Mrs Sutil’s presence…

more inappropriate objectification of women, sexism and near-misogyny here sullying @keithcollatine’s otherwise nice F1 site.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 14th December 2013, 9:00

Really @joepa? I apologize if my comment hurt your principles, I did not intend to. Highlighting people appearance, men or women, is not something wrong in my culture. However, sorry for that mate.

• @jcost – I acknowledge your apology, and appreciate your response.

What you said was sexually objectifying of Sutil’s girlfriend, unmistakably implying that her principal value is her appearance and, worse, that Sutil’s principal resource (to justify employing him) is her presence – based on her physical appearance/beauty!

the objectification of women involves the act of disregarding the personal and intellectual abilities and capabilities of a female; and reducing a woman’s worth or role in society to that of an instrument for the sexual pleasure that she can produce in the mind of another

Again, I appreciate your reasonable response, and I have nothing against appreciating human beauty (and am lucky to partner w/ an incredibly beautiful woman)…but I don’t condone or want to participate in the sexual objectification of any women but especially the partners of the athletes who compete in the motor-sport that I love…

• Joshua Mesh (@joshua-mesh) said on 13th December 2013, 15:03

Well he stepped into F1 after a lengthy break and almost beat his in form team mate and was probably the sole reason for Ri resta’s exit.

• Almost beat his team-mate ??? 19 points behind!!
        Lengthy break = 1 year out – criminal charges, suspended sentence and almost going to prison
        Di Resta in his rookie season scored 27 points(2011) – Sutil in 7th season scored 29 (2013)

I think that answers who is more deserving of a seat. Money is the only reason Sutil is still in F1!

• I think that was meant with his girlfriend, Jenny Becks. He is really fast there.

• Optimaximal (@optimaximal) said on 13th December 2013, 16:17

He was certainly a better prospect a couple of years back than the terminal under-achiever that was Liuzzi.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 13th December 2013, 16:59

@philereid – Yes, I think we can say that a history of good drivers at Sauber, including Raikkonen, Massa, Perez, Heidfeld, Kobayashi, Kubica and of course Hulkenberg has been somewhat soiled by the inevitable Sutil-Gutierrez line-up. Saying that, he’ll still have a comfortable advantage over Esteban, and I suppose, whilst he’s not fast, he is Buemi-esc in his unspectacular consistency, which is fine for a midfield team. And to be fair, he had a season out, but still managed a season that was not overtly lagging behind Di Resta, who, due to his reputation for being a decent driver, was almost certainly expected to crush Sutil. The fact that he didn’t, coupled with his lack of sponsorship arguably justifies his inevitable return to DTM. As Brundle so rightly said in response to the departure of Glock and Kovalainen next year, if you have the pedigree such as Di Resta had, you need to live up to it, and one can’t help but feel that the young hopefuls of Vergne and Di Resta haven’t done so, and that’s why Di Resta is out and why Vergne will be out if he doesn’t make marked improvements.

• Prof Kirk (@prof-kirk) said on 14th December 2013, 3:28

What Monisha meant was:

Adrian is not only average, but also brings a lot of money,

• +99 (Sutil’s number)

3. NickF12013 (@nickf12013) said on 13th December 2013, 14:40

Not a surprise, but still pretty dissapointing. I didn’t want him on the grid next year. Not that I don’t like him, but I think he’s a very average driver.

4. Juan Pablo Heidfeld (@juan-pablo-heidfeld-1) said on 13th December 2013, 14:40

What an uninspiring choice

5. Mashiat (@) said on 13th December 2013, 14:40

Not much of a surprise but still, I believe that Adrian Sutil shouldn’t be put ahead of Di Resta or even Bianchi. But I guess money talks eh?

• Proesterchen (@proesterchen) said on 13th December 2013, 14:56

In the case of Di Resta, it’s the results (or lack thereof) that do the loudest talking.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 13th December 2013, 15:23

No, it’s di Resta who does the loudest talking. Usually “Look at what I’ve done! Don’t I deserve a car that can win races?”, or words to that effect.

• BJ (@beejis60) said on 13th December 2013, 15:25

@proesterchen And also DIR himself doing the bulk of the loudest talking…

• infernojim (@infernojim) said on 13th December 2013, 15:34

And 3 consecutive DNFs related to driver errors (crashes) in the middle of the season. Inexcusable for any F1 driver. He had to go. He’s a miserable chap too, which can’t help him to endear himself to well, anyone really, but his team in particular.

Sutil is a good driver, deserves his place.

• Sutil had the same number of retirements as Di Resta this season, Paul was unlucky to have them together, probably due to him trying to make up for being Maldonadoed out of the race at Spa after qualifying 5th and ALMOST putting the car on pole!

• Peter Cotterill (@stigrennfahrer) said on 13th December 2013, 16:05

I wouldn’t be surprised if FI (and the other teams) got fed up of DIR’s constant self-aggrandizement and subsequent whinging, blaming of the car, tyres, track, weather, air, and indeed anything else he could think of to avoid placing the blame for his lack of performance at his own door…

• smokinjoe (@smokinjoe) said on 13th December 2013, 20:08

Sutil and Perez are both decent driver and both got some sponorship behind them at least to cover there wages,while Di resta got none.Team Di Resta and Antony hamiltion did try to get energy drinks company Go Fast to sponsor him for 21 million euros but that deal got botched up and ended up in a court case.I think that was beginning of an end of Di resta F1 carrier.Sad he got no drive and a court case to fight

6. Beto (@chebeto) said on 13th December 2013, 14:43

Not so happy about this, Sutil is for me a “meh” driver, but it was to be expected. He brings several millions with his Medion sponsorship and Sauber is all about finding money at the moment. I’m still a fan of Sauber – they are like the underdog that everyone loves – but with Sutil and Sirotkin completing their driver line-up I will find it very hard to warm up to them in 2014.

• Mashiat (@) said on 13th December 2013, 14:47

Same here. I’ll probably start rooting on Force India starting from 2014. I’ve a Hulkenburg fan and have always said he was underrated since the 2010 season. And on his days, Perez can be lightning quick. If they can produce a good car, they are all set for a top 5 finish with one fast and consistent driver, and one fast and less consistent driver, but one who brings fundings. That is probably the smartest way to go for any midfield team.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 13th December 2013, 15:49

I think Force India managed to put together a good pair. Perez is still work in progress but sure FI has one of the best duos, my rank:

1. Mercedes
        2. Ferrari
        3. Red Bull
        4. Force India
        5. Lotus

• So except for Hamilton and Rosberg everybody else on the grid is getting a new Team mate. !!!!!!

2014 looks like a year of big driver turnover. Incidentally I thought it would have been the other way around with least movement among drivers given that there are massive changes in the regulations, engine et all.

• Mashiat (@) said on 13th December 2013, 16:53

Perhaps not. Max Chilton seems set to continue in Marussia alongside Jules Bianchi and who knows what’ll happen at Caterham

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 13th December 2013, 17:19

@jcost – All of logic, reason, philosophy, mathmatics and science ranks the Ferrari paring of Alonso-Raikkonen along way ahead of the Hamilton-Rosberg pairing…unless you’re only talking about qualfying. See my rankings…

1. Ferrari
          2. Mercedes
          3. Force India
          4. Red Bull
          5. McLaren
          6. Lotus
          7. Williams
          8. Toro Rosso
          9. Marussia (probably)
          10. Caterham (probably)
          11. Sauber (certainly)

• JCost (@jcost) said on 13th December 2013, 18:37

@william-brierty

Ferrari topping Mercedes is not shcoking for me, I’d say they’re close to each other but I think the Merc duo is slightly stronger than the combination Kimi+Alonso. On Sauber, I agree with you (being the Russian teen of Gutierrez)

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 13th December 2013, 18:49

@jcost – I just don’t see how you can rank two of the very, very best F1 has to offer below a guy that can’t look after his tyres and his often anonymous Di Caprio look alike teammate. Harsh but true.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 13th December 2013, 19:09

My friend @william-briertyI think the tyre saving capacities are usually overstated, the car plays a huge part in that department and I don’t think Kimi would conserve his tyres just as good if he was driving the WO4. In many occasions Rosberg saved his tyres better but in others Lewis was better than him like in Brazil this year.

I don’t Kimi will bring the results Ferrari is hoping for.

• Stretch (@stretch) said on 14th December 2013, 0:05

@william-brierty

Wondering why you put RB below FI? I’m not the biggest Vettel fan and Ricciardo is still relatively unproven in F1 compared to Hulkenberg and Perez but surely RB top FI easily.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 14th December 2013, 10:49

@stretch – I probably should’ve swapped that around but I think Hulkenberg and Perez are closer in terms of talent than Vettel and Ricciardo. My logic was Perez almost matched JB in 2013, so Hulkenberg would has easily beaten him, so in fact Force India may have a partnership similar to the Hamilton-Button partnership at McLaren. But yeah, I know, Vettel won the 2013 WCC on his own, so he doesn’t really need a teammate…

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 13th December 2013, 17:05

@chebeto – Sergey Sirotkin won’t be in a Sauber in 2014, he doesn’t have a super-license, and the Russian corporation no longer cite it as a condition of their investment. Gutierrez will almost certainly be there, although I heard rumours of Antonio Felix Da Costa and even Fabio Leimer being linked with the seat. Saying that though, I wouldn’t put much stock in those rumours: I’m 99.999% sure Sauber will be fielding Sutil and Gutierrez next year. Groan…

• Beto (@chebeto) said on 13th December 2013, 17:28

@william-brierty – Well, I would actually be happy if you are right about Gutierrez haha. He is the young driver that I support the most, although he had a very tough first season. But I’m not so sure about that. The fact that he took a visit to Caterham tells me that he has been rejected by the team. Caterham is a step backwards and I don’t think he would be interested if he was 99.999% sure he would stay at Sauber.
        Sutil – Gutierrez would be interesting for me. Sutil, as uninteresting he is, he is also a solid driver. If Guti can learn a thing or two from his experience he can develop into a very good driver.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 13th December 2013, 18:45

@chebeto – From what I hear, Gutierrez visited Caterham whilst Sauber were still working on keeping Hulkenberg. But frankly, with Perez at Force India and Maldonado at Lotus, there are no other “pay-drivers” that have the budget Sauber need, unless that fancy a Chilton or a Nasr, which they won’t. I like Gutierrez too. I met him at Silverstone and a nicer chap you possibly couldn’t hope to met, but is he any good? No. Is he better than Chilton? You bet.

• And it adds some continuity to keep Gutierrez as well, who should show more pace like his Suzuka result next year. If the Mexican cash hasn’t dried up (as Perez got 15m Euros to make sure he got the Force India drive), it must be the best option, with Sirotkin as test/reserve driver. That would make 3 nice sponsorship pots to keep Sauber afloat for 2014 – German, Mexican and Russian. And if they replaced McLaren/Williams (Please Honda!) for Mercedes engines, possibly an engine subsidy…

It’d be nice for Leimer or even Felix da Costa getting a look in of some sort, but that would require them to be on a sure-fire financial footing. I think Leimer has previously done a YDT for them a few years back, so they do know him and he is Swiss as well as now being the GP2 winner.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 14th December 2013, 11:00

@fastiesty – My logic exactly. It can’t help however but feel that Leimer is not overtly deserving of a seat. OK, he’s not Valsecchi who was a GP2 midfielder aside from the one year he won the championship, and was generally there or thereabouts, but it did take him several seasons to take the title and he didn’t look that special when he tested for Sauber. Da Costa on the other hand…

Saying that, GP2 drivers may be in demand in the 2014 driver market, because F1 in 2014 will be “GP2-esc” in the way the torque often exceeds the rear traction, so that might play into the hands of Leimer and his GP2 peers.

• @william-brierty You would have thought so.. but I reckon a lot of the ex-GP2 guys will turn up in Formula E.. it’s a guaranteed paying drive, even if not too much (hence Sato may stick with IndyCar), but Di Grassi and Chandhok are starting off the ex-GP2 lot… perhaps Valsecchi and Leimer could do well in Formula E, which will have a similar torque-overpowering-treaded-tyres feel!

If Frijns could round himself off a bit from being overly-aggressive, he’s perfect for F1. Da Costa is worth a shot, while Vandoorne is definitely up to F1 speed as well. Now, just to find space for them all…

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 15th December 2013, 18:07

@fastiesty – I can’t see Chandhok anywhere a racing car, mostly due to the fact that he has repeatedly proved that he is better at commentating on motorsport than taking part in it. And although Di Grassi tested the FE car, I can foresee that a driver that many forget is a brilliant racing driver, and very impressive in the junior categories, although unable to make an impression in his single season with Virgin, will elect not to sign up for a race seat. Di Grassi is firmly in the clutches of Audi’s P1 squad, due to several very impressive performances in the R18, and I’ve even heard it rumoured that he’ll be taking Treluyer’s place alongside Fassler and Lotterer (I think we mention Andre in the same sentence as Vettel in terms of raw speed. He definitely deserved a seat in F1). However, yes, I can certainly see Valsecchi and Leimer in Formula E.

Regarding Frijns, few drivers has impressed so much in my many years of watching motorsport. To watch him track-side as I have is such a thrill, and in many ways he reminds me of a young Alesi in the way he, and I’m sure there’s a better word for this, “shuffles” a car through slow corners, using massive entry speed, a rearward brake balance and an aggressive turn-in to rotate the car mid-corner. The fact that he won’t end up in, or even close to F1 any time soon really is tragedy epitomized. I rank Da Costa and Vandoorne fairly equally, and I think we will see both in F1 soon, although I don’t think have Frijn’s level of natural ability. However happily, there will be plenty of space for them once we’ve gotten rid of Vergne, Sutil, Chilton, Gutierrez, Pic, Van der Garde and Maldonado. And yet, that doesn’t look like it’s going to happen anytime soon…

7. nidzovski (@nidzovski) said on 13th December 2013, 14:48

Is there anybody who supports Sutil on this site? :D

• magon4 (@magon4) said on 13th December 2013, 14:55

I surely do.

• I do, for his girlfriend.

• I’m pretty happy that he is still in F1. His one year break from F1 seems to have hurt him quite a bit, both in terms of raw pace and consistency. I found him to be “the best of the rest” kinda guy, being a solid choice for a mid-table team bringing sponsorship as well as strong results. If I was looking at Sutil based on this years results then I would rather not have him, but since my memory reaches farther than that I still have hope for him.

If everyone believes that Kobayashi deserves to be in F1 just because he pulled off a nice move here and there, then I don’t see why everyone wants to get rid of Sutil. I would take Sutil any day of the week over Kamui.

• Deej92 (@deej92) said on 14th December 2013, 1:12

“I would take Sutil any day of the week over Kamui”.
        Likewise. I never understood the hype surrounding Kobayashi. I personally don’t miss him at all in F1 and I can’t see him returning unless he gets some manufacturer backing, which is unlikely.

• Personally I think this is a solid signing. He wont set the world alight, but he will bring in guaranteed results as he always has done throughout his career. If the car is capable of a top 6, he will almost certainly finish top 6 unlike others that when the planets align just right, might get a podium but the rest of the time would probably bin it. Doesnt mean he is a percentage man though (something di Resta liked to do), he will always scrap on track, just he knows how to do it properly. People nowadays judge him on his off-track behaviour. Shame really. If it hadnt happened, people would probably have been putting him in that vacated Lotus seat next season and on driving skill, may well have deserved it (moreso than Maldonado anyway). To me, the fact he brings sponsorship is just an added bonus, like getting a toy in your cereal

• I’ve met them both and were totally starstruck, so my friend had to do the talking, but I also remain neutral, though I can attest to how hot she is in real life (hence the race director getting a shot of her every race!). I find it impressive that Sutil is an ‘old school’ driver, in that he only started karting at 14, yet was in F1 after only 10 years in Motorsport. Him and Di Resta would both be lauded if they didn’t get beaten by a certain Hamilton and Vettel in their respective best years in the junior ladder!

I would say Di Resta deserves the place on the grid more now, but maybe from their lay-offs Sutil and Massa seem to be losing that last few tenths and overall consistency, putting their careers in a downward trend. But it seems to happen for most drivers when they get to their 30′s.. How Schumi kept so much pace into his 40′s in this era is mightily impressive. Alonso, Raikkonen, Button all seem to be race pacers now, as the reactions are gradually lost for that banzai qualifying lap. Maybe this started to happen to Kobayashi in 2012, although for him it just seemed to be consistency that went, same for Perez in 2013, but he was always a little inconsistent in the Sauber.

• I support him! Alongside Kimi, Rosberg, RoGro, Hulk, Perez,
      JEV, Massa and Bianchi!
      I really hope he does well!

• Seriously guys, alot of people dislike him! I like him!
      I really want him to do well!
      And a message to those who don’t like/support him:He’ll do well you’ll see! He’ll get his first podium, he’ll get some solid points
      finishes!

8. Lewis McMurray (@celicadion23) said on 13th December 2013, 14:48

Looks like Sauber will also have to invest in some plastic glassware for the motorhome

9. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 13th December 2013, 14:50

So Sauber ran out of good options right?

• Mashiat (@) said on 13th December 2013, 14:52

I can’t really tell whether you’re sarcastic or not but I believe that they had no alternative. The only other driver with over 5 years of experience and funding in F1, doesn’t exist.

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 13th December 2013, 15:10

Sutil isn’t a bad choice. It’s fairly uninspiring but in terms of a decent driver with plenty of experience, he’ll do good enough job.

Who would be a better choice? Frankly, you’re probably right – they got him because the other options have gone! If they’d acted quicker, they could have potentially brought Perez back or Massa but now they’re left with Sutil or someone with next to no experience.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 13th December 2013, 16:57

@omarr-pepper just like Force India last season.

Funny. Though Vijay did have an option in Jules Bianchi yet decided for Sutil after losing the Hulk. Just like Sauber this year.

10. petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 13th December 2013, 14:51

Not hugely exciting news but it’ll be interesting to see how he gets on. He does bring quite a lot of experience so if Sauber are still thinking about Sitorkin, I’m not sure who else they could pair him with who would be better…

11. Girts (@girts) said on 13th December 2013, 14:51

I was happy to see Sutil back in February and the beginning was quite promising but he rarely demonstrated anything special later in the season. I think he is still better than Max Chilton or Esteban Gutierrez but now I agree with @KeithCollantine that “Sutil has had a good run and we’ve seen the best he has to offer”.

I’m sure that Sauber has grabbed the best package of performance and sponsorhip that they could get and he’s definitely going to score points now and then but it’s hard to call that an inspiring choice.

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 13th December 2013, 15:57

The least compelling driver signing of the season so far. If going for experience for the possible Sirotkin pairing they could have brought in Kovalainen, but I don’t think he has substantial sponsorship money. Sauber is sadly in a position similar to what Lotus has been going through with their finances. Rumors persist that the Russian funding is in doubt, but who really knows for sure. They could probably keep Gutierrez with his sponsorship if the Sirotkin deal doesn’t pan out. Probably waiting to announce until the last minute depending on finances or Sirotkin’s testing performances.

• Rockie said on 13th December 2013, 17:47

Is this a joke or something Kovalainen was put in a podium car and didnt score a point and his name is being mentioned for a race seat, I think too much sentiment from Hamilton fans with regards to Sutil is causing the animosity.
        Kovalainen what a joke?

12. kcpart said on 13th December 2013, 14:54

Adrian Sutil had a disappointing season, but he has proven before he is a top class driver, I hope he has a good year next year, I don’t believe Nico Hulkenburg is any better then him, the drives Nico had this year are like the drives Sutil had 3-4 years ago, if Sutil hadn’t had the year off he probably would be further up the field now. if he doesn’t regain top form next year, then the haters of him will win, it really is make or break for sutil in 2014.

13. Tomsk (@tomsk) said on 13th December 2013, 15:02

Congratulations to Adrian – I always thought he’d never switched teams because nobody wanted him.
    Didn’t miss him in 2012, but he does have his moments, like Melbourne and Monaco in 2013. But, most of the time, you’ll be able to forget he and Sauber are there at all.

This could be their weakest line-up since Salo & Diniz, possibly ever. A bit of an insult to the name ‘Sauber’. But, as Williams are doing, hopefully they can come out the other side with some exciting and likeable drivers.

14. Tiago Carvalho (@tiagocomodoro) said on 13th December 2013, 15:07

well I was looking to see him retired in F1
    but I guess need to see this non impressive driver one more year.

It would be better the call back Kobayashi…

15. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 13th December 2013, 15:08

Adrian is not only very fast

And he is extremely boring, in 2009 i was excited by Fisichella more than him when they were teammates in Force India, a wasted seat especially when Robin Frijns and Felix Da Costa still didn’t made it to F1

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 13th December 2013, 15:13

I doubt Sauber’s criteria was an exciting driver. It was more likely an experienced one who will help develop the car. If they got Da Costa or Frijns in, they’d need someone experienced alongside them anyway.

• Rockie said on 13th December 2013, 17:52

“It was clear for me that he was going to have that seat, Sauber now have the weakest drivers line up in the midfield and maybe the weakest in the grid with Caterham ”
      The mistake you make is, it would be funny if the Sauber is faster than the FI then being a weak pairing won’t matter.

1 2 3