Sutil joins Sauber for 2014

2014 F1 season

Adrian Sutil, Force India, Singapore, 2013Adrian Sutil will continue his F1 career with Sauber next season after being dropped by Force India.

Team principal Monisha Kaltenborn said Sauber “have been wanting to work together with him for a while”.

“Adrian had already visited the factory at the end of September to have a look at the infrastructure. Adrian is not only very fast, but also brings a lot of experience, which is very important looking at the new regulations for next year.”

Sutil said he had “known for a while where I wanted to go” but “the negotiations took a bit longer than planned”.

“I am determined to do my part in order to have a successful future together with the Sauber F1 Team. The long and successful tradition in motorsport, combined with an impressive factory and one of the best wind tunnels in F1, have been fascinating me for a long time.”

Sutil made his F1 debut in 2007 with Spyker, which became Force India the following year, and remained with them ever since. He spent the 2012 season on the sidelines then returned to action this year.

Sauber have already lost Nico Hulkenberg to Force India and it remains to be seen whether Esteban Gutierrez will continue with them next year.

The team said it will announce its second driver at a later date. Sauber appointed Sergey Sirotkin as a test driver in July and said he would be undergo preparations with a view to him becoming “a racing driver for the team in 2014″, but have not yet confirmed whether he will race for them.

See the updated list of 2014 F1 drivers and teams

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?? Force India

135 comments on Sutil joins Sauber for 2014

1. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 13th December 2013, 17:24

Brw: di Resta thanked his team on twitter. He proves he can show respect from time to time ^^

• Girts (@girts) said on 13th December 2013, 19:43

@Paeschli That’s right, he has actually done that several times. On the other hand, I can immediately recall at least three articles that show Perez in a bad light as regards his attitude. I think people often see what they want to see and the role of media also shouldn’t be undervalued.

2. Jem (@osella) said on 13th December 2013, 17:31

Well, I’m glad he stays in. It’s a bigger concern to me that there are so few seats in F1 and that new teams cannot join – he’s in on merit. And he plays piano, so he can’t be entirely stupid.

3. Michael Brown (@) said on 13th December 2013, 17:39

Good thing they chose Sutil over Sirotkin. Personally I would have gone for Di Resta.

4. AndrewT (@andrewt) said on 13th December 2013, 17:44

I wouldn’t write Sutil off. Remember the days when he was rumoured to take Alonsos and one year later Kovalainens place at McLaren? after seasons he wasn’t even close to score a point… It’s true that he stucked a bit at Force India, and this move might be just what he needed to save his career. I also believe that even Lewis Hamilton stucked a bit at McLaren – obviously on a whole other level – , but at Mercedes we saw a whole other Hamilton this year. who knows what Sutil can deliver after this change…

5. What a waste of seat.

6. I am determined to do my part in order to have a successful future together with the Sauber F1 Team.

I really doubt that. Considering Sauber’s track record, I really doubt they are going to keep Sutil for more than 1 year. He is certainly one of the greatest average racing driver in the grid in the last few years. And with the situation Sauber is in now, I am sure he is here only for his experience coz of the new regs and the money he brings. Once they are done with that by the end of next year, I am sure that he will be out. Its really a make or break year next year for Sutil and I guess he knows.

7. karter22 (@karter22) said on 13th December 2013, 23:24

Unbelievable… DiResta who actually beat him leaves and this guy stays… F1 is getting far more farcical as days go by…. I`m getting very desilusioned about it…

8. William (@william) said on 14th December 2013, 12:43

So 4 seats left and what are the rumours/possibility of people going to buy 1 spare Sauber seat, 2 Caterhams and 1 Marussia. Since Sergio Perez has been announced on a multi year deal now I am sure Carlos Slim will get this Mexican GP ready for 2015 as it will just take under 2 years to do

• William (@william) said on 15th December 2013, 6:44

Vandroome is rumored to go to Marussia. Paul di Resta is a rumour at Sauber while Sergey Sirotkin ‘is in danger’ and Esteban sadly will be leaving Sauber I believe. At Caterham, Hekki and Giedo are likely to be in those seats while Charles Pic ‘is in danger’ and Ericsson is a rumour of going to Caterham

9. sbl on tour (@sbl-on-tour) said on 14th December 2013, 12:56

thats a backward step for sauber then, theyd been better off with di resta
    sutils never going to set the world alight, but maybe sauber have a different agenda i do not know

10. He has experience. But he doesn’t strike me as a Badoer-style development driver.
    He has some speed. But he doesn’t strike me as a Hulkenberg-stlye quick driver.
    His career is in decline, he has been dismissed from the only team he raced for in F1 after an uninspiring season: why, Sauber? Sure, your year wasn’ a great one, but many drivers would love to race for you, and many might have the backing. Heck, Sirotkin might even be a better choice than Sutil. Hope Gutierrez keeps his seat.

11. Jono (@me262) said on 15th December 2013, 0:57

I think sutil is a decent driver – but what about Bianchi???

12. Nikhil said on 16th December 2013, 7:03

Feeling sorry for Paul di resta, but also excited with force india f1 team new driver line up,
    if not sauber , di resta should try for a smaller team like maRussia or caterhem f1 team, for next year,
    let him be in f1 , i am sure there will lbe lot of driver changes again in 2015, he should then try his luck to come back again in force india f1 team,

13. I honestly hope that he does well (for Sauber’s sake).
    I think he will get his first podium, and will have some
    of those races where he showed amazing form and
    potential, but most of the time he will be his usual
    uninspiring, mediocre self! Go Sauber (hopefully!)