Irvine lambasts “insane” double points rule

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Yas Marina, 2013In the round-up: Eddie Irvine ridicules the controversial new F1 rule which will award double points for the last race of the season.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Eddie Irvine: Formula 1 is now embarrassing (Belfast Telegraph)

“I think Formula One has lost its way. This latest rule of double points for the last race is insanity. That actually made me realise I am not going to watch another race until that rule gets kicked out. That is just embarrassing. It really is. They should be ashamed of themselves.”

Vijay Mallya Q&A: Force India throwing everything at 2014 (F1)

“I will not compromise the quality of drivers for money. I will not let down all of my people in Silverstone who are so passionate about designing and building a competitive race car and then compromise the car on the track by taking a driver who is not the very best, simply because he brings money to the table.”

I’m among the best in F1 – Grosjean (ESPN)

“I think I have proven that I am part of the best drivers and that’s how I consider myself.”

Di Restas ??fixated? by chance to make millions (The Telegraph)

Paul di Resta and his father Louis were accused of being ‘totally unreliable witnesses’ who became ‘fixated’ by the prospect of a multimillion-pound sponsorship windfall, as the damages lawsuit brought by the Scottish driver?s former manager Anthony Hamilton continued in the High Court on Tuesday.”

Newey warns F1 risks stagnation (Autosport)

“If the regulations continue to become ever more restrictive we’ll eventually get the point where the car’s more or less designed by the rulebook.”

Worst. Rule Change. Ever. (The Buxton Blog)

“This rule change threatens to devalue the entire championship. The entire sport.”

Ecclestone’s new formula for F1 finale is a folly that may yet blow up in his face (The Herald)

“It is a fundamental principle of sport that the best person wins. The latest F1 idea flies in the face of that. They are creating a lottery which could deny the best for the sake of resuscitating flagging interest. And making the sport even more artificial than it is now.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

@Uan takes issue with revisionist views of Sebastian Vettel’s breakthrough victory in the 2008 Italian Grand Prix.

Can we put to rest the canard using [Sebastien] Bourdais to marginalize Vettel?s win? The win is only one metric. Look at the season as a whole.

Vettel had nine points finishes to Bourdais’ two. Look at the way both finished the season after Monza: Vettel ?ǣ 5th, 6th, 9th, 4th; Bourdais 12th, 10th, 13th, 14th.

As for the win, one of the more impressive things is that he didn?t bin it. Look at Hulkenberg last year in Brazil, he really should have won the race, P2 at the minimum, but he did collide with Hamilton, and while the penalty was harsh (it was more a racing incident), it shouldn?t have happened.

Vettel had 35 points in 2008, more than both Red Bulls drivers and Bourdais combined. And he was only 21 years old. At Monaco, he qualified 18th, but finished 5th (if any driver did that today they?d be hailed as the second coming).
@Uan

From the forum

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today

On this day in F1

Onofre Marimon was born 90 years ago today. He drove alongside his great Argentinian compatriot Juan Manuel Fangio at Maserati in 1953, finishing on the podium at Spa. He did so again the following year at Silverstone, but during practice for the following race at the Nurbrgring he crashed and was killed.

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

116 comments on Irvine lambasts “insane” double points rule

1 2 3
  1. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 19th December 2013, 0:05

I hope more drivers, not only former drivers, start doing something, or at least giving a reasonable opinion against the double points in Abu Dhabi. Or 2014 will not be worth watching. Would you watch a movie if the end is spoiled before you go to the cinema? i wouldn’t.

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 19th December 2013, 0:06

What Irvine says there sums up my opinion too.

• celeste (@celeste) said on 19th December 2013, 0:09

Somebody pointed last week that most driver in F1 aren´t vocal about this because their teams supported the rule change (named Ferrari and Mercedes) so I don´t think we will see some drivers like Vettel and Ricciardo againts the rule.

Whats made me mad is that even when 90%! of fans is againts the rule FIA is not listening! And it´s made wonder that at this point does FIA even care about the fans and what they want?

• karter22 (@karter22) said on 19th December 2013, 0:44

@omarr-pepper

Hear, hear!! I agree totally on this for the only reason that if ALO or anybody else wins the WDC there will always be that : “that championship is fake since the last race counted double” spine in it!! No sir…. I want my racing clean!!

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 19th December 2013, 1:41

@karter22 if Vettel is 2nd all the championship and wins it just because of this rule, I will keep saying he’s a 4WDC. I mean, it doesn’t really makes a difference to me if I’m his fan, if he wins the championship, the only way I would be happy about it is if he (or any other driver) wins it in Brazil with a 51-points margin.

• Chris (@ukphillie) said on 19th December 2013, 4:07

If Vettel is second for the whole season and wins at Abby Dabby, I’ll be absolutely over the moon, seeing as this rule has literally been created to try and hinder him..

Never have I seen a rule made with only one person in mind. It’s disgusting.

Imagine how Vettel feels about it, it’s quite upsetting really. He’s had to put up with all those boos, he’s had to put up with his competitors, his peers, saying his machinery is superior. The media saying it’s boring and now they’re changing the rules as if to say Vettel winning is bad for the sport, at least if he wins as quick as he did this year.

If Vettel packed it all in and quit tomorrow, I wouldn’t blame him. Never has a champion been treat with such disrespect. To be frank, Formula 1 as a whole from the fans to the Rule Makers don’t deserve Vettel at the moment.

• Pandaslap (@pandaslap) said on 19th December 2013, 5:52

@ukphillie +Billions and billions.

• AlbertC (@albertc) said on 19th December 2013, 6:37

I couldn’t agree more!

• JCost (@jcost) said on 19th December 2013, 7:39

Indeed.

I’m not supporting Seb for 2014 but if he wins helped by this rule I’ll be delighted.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 19th December 2013, 7:46

Never have I seen a rule made with only one person in mind. It’s disgusting.

Don’t you remember all the rules brought in by the FIA to slow down Schumacher/Ferrari in winning championships @ukphillie?
            It also included a rule changing the points (to award less extra for winning), amongst other things.

I am not even sure this rule is against Red Bull or Vettel especially, because for the last couple of years they have been the ones winning the last race more often than not.

• Solo (@solo) said on 19th May 2014, 12:52

What a lot of bull*hit, the rule wasn’t created to hinder Vettel, it was simple made to keep the mathematical decision of a championship last longer so that TV stations won’t have ratings dropping in the last few races. Only a person with no common sense will say something like this and i have a feeling the whole Red Bull reaction was exactly based on such no-sense people because they want to play a marketing trick on the rules supposedly being made to stop them.
            This way they will appear greater if they win and they will have a bag of internet defenters saying the rules were against them if they screw-up.
            Anyone with any sense of logic sees very clearly that such a rule will not hinder Vettel anymone that will hinder anyone else. There is no way do know how the championship might develop and whether it could end up helping or hindering someone like Vettel. As you many said here he may even end winning based on such a rule so if it was a rule specifically ro hinder Vettel then ether the FIA has some crystal ball that tell them how the 2014 championship will end up going to the last race or they muse be the biggest fools ever for making a rule that has every chance of benefiting him as hindering him.

• mantresx (@mantresx) said on 19th December 2013, 1:55

@omar-pepper
      You mean that if the championship is very close between two or more drivers then what’s the point of watching all the races if it’s only going to be decided in the final one?

To be honest I don’t expect it will be close so I wouldn’t even worry about that, 5 races in we will have a pretty good idea of who’s going to win it (like 2009/2011) one team and driver will dominate and will make this rule useless for the first places in the championship.

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 19th December 2013, 2:29

@mantresx what if “TEAM A” is dominating but we go to Abu Dhabi with Mr A-team driver with 30 points or so over Mr. B-team driver. Mr secondB-driver could kamikaze against Mr A, (or even just plain bad luck can make a backmarker or any of the other 20 cars crash Mr A-driver). MrB becomes champion by bad luck of the best driver? I mean, FIA is trying to recreate Silverstone 2013 on purpose? That was the most unpleasant race to see alongside Indy ’05. I won’t eat the story of “One team dominate”, because nobody can predict this. All the races will be somehow linked to Abu Dhabi.

• Pandaslap (@pandaslap) said on 19th December 2013, 5:59

@omarr-pepper Japan ’89 or ’90? You would like to think that a DNF tactic wouldn’t be used to decide the championship but it’s happened before and, with so many points at stake (and so many casual fans targeted for an artificial finale) a controversial ending might be what the commercial rights holder wants.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 19th December 2013, 7:14

Yes F1 drivers must start having a voice again like in the old days. This PR dictatorship doesn’t help the sport. Some are giving their opinion though, Checo likes it, Seb hates it but what about the rest? They all have twitter accounts after all. Here at F1F, sure it’s not the largest sample possible, the results are simple to read, the bulk of people hates this move and I’m starting to think this rule was made in UAE and it did cost a fortune!

• TMF (@tmf42) said on 19th December 2013, 8:52

What I don’t get s why Merc and Ferrari favor this change. I really hope it bites one of them at the end of 2014

• NomadIndian (@nomadindian) said on 19th December 2013, 11:37

My only problem with this new rule is at a fundamental level – How can you deem one race is worth more points (and thereby more efforts/more skill, etc.).
      On top of that, this has not been the done for circuits like Monaco (historical), Spa or Monza (arguably more challenging) but for Abu Dhabi… there’s no way this will not be seen as a gimmick.
      And I agree with the sentiment that if a driver wins The Title with the aid of this rule, his victory will be diluted and controversial at best…

• Robbie said on 20th December 2013, 12:46

So what this tells me is that viewership must have been so massively down with SV winning so early, that they are willing to take a desperate measure to try to prevent a driver doing that again. Perhaps I missed info on this but do we know how bad the ratings got, or get these days with an early WDC?

I thought there was going to be enough change for 2014 that they didn’t need to do this, but I’ll have to assume desperation has set in. After all, phony DRS, and lousy tires, didn’t do it…didn’t even stop the processions let alone prevent a runaway winner.

What a shame F1 no longer trusts the viewing audience to be there through good hard wheel to wheel racing by reduced aero creating the story on the track, and instead feel they must create the story in the boardroom using methods that have proven to not work, and have only repelled viewers, not attracted them, and obviously will continue to do so.

I refuse to believe that today’s audience (ie. new viewership) is so different vs. diehard long time racing fans, that they wouldn’t be enthralled by true wheel to wheel action on the track, and instead must have their ‘victories’ manufactured. Is phony the new real? If so, I refuse to believe that will last. Surely to goodness F1 will wake up out of this fog once they realize there is no longer a way to determine Great Champions, so dumbed down will be the product.

2. George (@george) said on 19th December 2013, 0:12

In regard to the Herald’s headline, as far as I’m aware this rule had nothing to do with Ecclestone?

3. cduk_mugello (@cduk_mugello) said on 19th December 2013, 0:25

I’m dead against the new double points rule change, but I think opposition has to be proportionate. Otherwise it sounds scathing for scathing’s sake.

That quote out of the Herald article seems a bit over the top..

They are creating a lottery…

It’s far from a lottery. We’re not quite at BTCC’s way of forming the grid just yet.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 19th December 2013, 0:38

The odd thing about that BTCC rule is it was actually introduced for safety reasons. Before the grid reversal draw, you’d get drivers purposefully slowing down on the last lap, so they’d finish 10th and get pole in race 3. Thanks to the draw, they now race lights-to-flag. Which is better for everyone :-)

• spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 19th December 2013, 11:52

@raceprouk FIA too introduced double points for safety reasons as they want to avoid you to break your neck while falling asleep in the final rounds of the championship.

• Deb Luhi (@debeluhi) said on 20th December 2013, 2:28

FIA and Bernie got spooked by the big outcry of the non-Vettel fans that the championship is boring and they’ll stop watching if Vettel keeps winning. This sentiment was amplified by some drivers like Hamilton, and extensively repeated by the media.
          FIA and Bernie just had to do something about it (and prevent further neck injuries) and they came with the “brilliant” idea of double points that works on multiple levels. It will keep the interest, or better the controversy, until the last race and will enable them to charge bigger fee for hosting the last race. No wonder the race is in Abu Dhabi.

4. Joshua Mesh (@joshua-mesh) said on 19th December 2013, 0:34

The level of hype being made around this rule is just too damn high. FIA need to show some backbone and show everyone that they will not bend to their wishes every time a lot of people complain.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 19th December 2013, 0:42

You’re probably the only fan who wants the FIA to ignore the one reason F1 is still going – the fans.

• Brian (@bforth) said on 19th December 2013, 0:48

@raceprouk +1000
        Not sure if I could have said it better.

• Aficionado said on 19th December 2013, 1:25

I don’t know… he has a point. I’m not in favor of the rule either, but it’s not the end of the world. This is all turning a bit too fanatical. If viewership goes down because of it, then I’m sure they’ll change it back. That’s a WAY more reliable indicator than a bunch of overdramatic divas who gang up on anyone who doesn’t agree with them.

• Robbie said on 20th December 2013, 12:59

It’s not just ‘a lot of people’ complaining, nor just a ‘bunch of over dramatic divas’…it is an overwhelming number of fans as well as highly experienced F1 insiders from the past and present, who are extremely against this. So much so that trying to sweep this under the carpet by claiming F1 knows what they are doing, in spite of phony DRS, and huge tire problems, and now this, will not go very far.

• mantresx (@mantresx) said on 19th December 2013, 1:59

Well if only they reacted to the teams in the same way they do with the fans then I wouldn’t complain but…

• Kimi4WDC said on 19th December 2013, 2:13

When they are competent at it, yes. Right now it’s a disaster and Newey brings up valid points.

Next year rule change is nothing like shake up. It is so restrictive, teams like Red Bull will benefit more from it as they are specialists at marginal development.

It’s not like other teams can’t come up with radical solutions, they are NOT ALLOWED to.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 19th December 2013, 23:45

@kimi4wdc, As you, and Adrian Newey, point out this is just one more stupid rule, but the biggest problem with F1 is the homogenisation of the cars by restrictive rules. Newey being an aerodynamicist rather than an engineer overlooks the fact that the engines already are not allowed to have any differences but his point is still valid, I for one would rather trade open development and design in power trains for a one-design body/aero-package, it would have been lovely to have heard a V12 Ferrari at 18,000 rpm competing with the V8s and possibly V10s as well, for the last few years, and who knows, maybe Ferrari or Mercedes could have found enough extra power to compensate for the RBRs aero advantage.

5. Daniel (@collettdumbletonhall) said on 19th December 2013, 0:40

Irvine is spot on. Can;t think of any casual viewers who have praised it and given it’s coverage in the media they certainly won’t.

6. Roald (@roald) said on 19th December 2013, 0:54

We all hate it, just like we hate DRS and tyres that turn into **** when being raced on instead of being carefully driven on. We hate the fact a lot of us have to pay for a channel owning the rights to F1, we hate about half of the circuits on the calendar and we hate having to pay sickening amounts of money to attend a race. We hate the stewards interfering with the few decent on-track battles we have nowadays and we hate the cars getting slower year after year. We hate the looks of the cars, we hate the ever-growing feeling among people running F1 that they’re managing a show instead of a sport. We hate Ecclestone’s ideas like turning on sprinklers to make races more exciting, we hate mandatory pitstops, we hate run-off areas about the size of footballfields. We hate double points for the last race of the season, we hate paydrivers stealing away race seats from actually talented drivers, we hate teams being bullied out of F1 and we hate the retarted way money is being divided among the teams. We hate, hate, HATE. Everything.

And just like you, I’ll be in front of the tv come March. See you then!

• montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 19th December 2013, 10:57

@roald Won’t be so sure of that. These things pile up and at one moment you reach the limit of the things you can hate and still remain a fan. For each person it’s different but it comes eventually, that last straw. I might change my opinion yet but as of now, provided this rule isn’t changed then I won’t be watching in March for the first time in two decades.

I really hope Bernie and the FIA don’t share your opinion as there’s a whole lot of wishful thinking involved on their part if they do

• COTD!

You’re right. We all be to curious to boycott the Australian GP for starters. Although the purity of F1 devaluates.
      I was curious; will drivers get 20 second stop and go penalty’s in Brazil? Will backmarkers get a two race ban when they crash with one of the frontrunners? A DNF in the last race will be disastrous!

• Robbie said on 20th December 2013, 13:24

I think what F1 should fear is that people will no longer care enough to even bother hating aspects of it. They will just be indifferent, and fickle, and won’t care if they miss a race or not, and certainly won’t pay the big bucks to go to a race…not that F1 seems to care about actual attendance at a track anyway.

I would hate to see F1 peter out into nothingness, because I am a long time fan who has seen better days, and therefore know the difference, but I hope that if that happens then someone will start a new series that actually will be the pinnacle of racing that will actually put the show back in the hands of the drivers on the track.

Meanwhile, I think fewer and fewer will be the people that will even bother to muster the energy to the level of hating, as more and more people just shrug their shoulders, shake their heads, and turn their backs.

Perhaps it’s time for a breakaway series that doesn’t insult the viewership’s intelligence.

7. Having done 148 races, driven for Ferrari and coming 3rd in the WDC, his opinion is formed with some experience. It also bears a strong resemblance to the opinion of the current champion.

All these interviews start somewhere and then get syndicated world wide. This one happened to start in the Belfast Telegraph, the next Vettel interview may be done by the Ulan Bator Bugle and that too would get syndicated. .

8. Dane. (@dane-1) said on 19th December 2013, 1:32

So, is the double point rule set in stone for next season? Or can it be changed?

• Diego (@ironcito) said on 20th December 2013, 6:39

Given that it’s not something that the teams have to think ahead, design, or anything like that, I would think that it can be changed up to the last minute. But I’m just guessing.

9. Rally Man (@rally-man) said on 19th December 2013, 2:02

Grosjean – actions speak louder than words. It’s better for others to say it rather then one saying it.

10. Neil (@neilosjames) said on 19th December 2013, 2:02

I really hope the 2014 championship is decided before the final race. That’s the first time in my 20-year F1-watching career that I’ve wanted that to happen.

And spare a thought for the first driver who wins the title because of it… he’ll spend the rest of his life being told he didn’t deserve it, and knowing himself he didn’t deserve it.

Even after being given some time to think about it and calm my viewpoint, I still reach the same conclusion. I hate it. Just hope sense prevails in the end and it’s gone before the season gets started.

• Shena (@shena) said on 19th December 2013, 3:26

I really hope the 2014 championship is decided before the final race

So do I then I shudder at the thought that in that case they will push a lot harder for the initial plan – double points for the last 4 races and it will become realized sooner than later.

• Sharon H (@sharoncom) said on 19th December 2013, 12:12

I would be highly surprised if this rule had nothing to do with Bernie. Abu Dhabi being switched with Interlagos for the finale, then it just so happens that a rule is introduced making it worth double: just too much of a (money-making) coincidence.

• JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 19th December 2013, 12:43

@neilosjames

and knowing himself he didn’t deserve it

I’m sure Alonso would be quite happy based on his comments on his 2008 Singapore GP victory “I still count it as a win”. Also after Hockenheim 2010 when asked how he would feel if he won the title by the small margin resulting from the illegal team order he answered “If you win the title, you win the title”.

11. Mark McDonald said on 19th December 2013, 2:08

For once, I find myself agreeing with Eddie Irvine. I doubt very much if I’ll bother watching a single lap of 2014 unless the ‘Abu Dhabi Super Prix’ is scrapped.

12. Swindle94 (@swindle94) said on 19th December 2013, 2:21

I’ve got a sneaky suspicion Force India could be 3rd or 4th in the WCC next year.

13. Jack (@jackisthestig) said on 19th December 2013, 2:36

How F1 could do with a character like Irvine at the moment, especially with Webber leaving the sport. Being a self-made man he was never cautious when it came to speaking his mind or rubbing people up the wrong way. His recent Sky ‘Legends of F1′ interview is well worth a watch (it’s up in full on Vimeo), particularly the insight on how highly he rates Schumacher while seemingly trying not to praise him too much, it’s a fascinating interview.

14. I’ve seen a lot of people worried about the championship being put into a giant mess because of double points. I find it strange that a lot of people are arguing that it makes one race more important yet are saying they’re boycotting the season due to one race. I disagree with double points but chance has always been a part of Motorsport and any variable, artificial or not, can create undeserving results.

• Sharon H (@sharoncom) said on 19th December 2013, 12:19

It is a fundamental part of sport that the best man (and machine) wins. The regulations of the sport should be there to find which was the best combination that year. In the past there have been rules made to try and negate disadvantage caused by technical failure (dropping results), this rule doesn’t negate any disadvantage; it’s purely about the show.

• Robbie said on 20th December 2013, 13:36

I think of it like this…I don’t just have disregard for DRS passes…I consider that even the non-DRS passes happened because DRS shaped the outlook of the race, the positions of the players on the track. So will the presence of double points for the last race affect the feeling and the aura of the other races starting with the first one.

Sure chance is part of the game, and many variables can create undeserving results, but that does not mean they should keep inviting more and more artificial ones into the mix.

15. Maciek (@maciek) said on 19th December 2013, 3:04

Is Vettel the only current driver to have spoken out against the double points? Of course, he’s the one who reasonably stands to lose the most by it, but still… F1 drivers are such corporate automatons these days. Blecch.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 19th December 2013, 8:53

No, his Red Bull teammate Ricciardo was actually the first (a day before the Vettel interview went out he mentioned it on twitter) @maciek.

But I remain skeptical about how much different it is that both Red Bull drivers spoke out to support their teams dislike of this from the other drivers remaining as silent as their teams have been on the issue. In that respect, only Perez stands out by being in favor, although I might have missed that Mallya praised this stupid idea before him.

1 2 3