Irvine lambasts “insane” double points rule

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Yas Marina, 2013In the round-up: Eddie Irvine ridicules the controversial new F1 rule which will award double points for the last race of the season.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Eddie Irvine: Formula 1 is now embarrassing (Belfast Telegraph)

“I think Formula One has lost its way. This latest rule of double points for the last race is insanity. That actually made me realise I am not going to watch another race until that rule gets kicked out. That is just embarrassing. It really is. They should be ashamed of themselves.”

Vijay Mallya Q&A: Force India throwing everything at 2014 (F1)

“I will not compromise the quality of drivers for money. I will not let down all of my people in Silverstone who are so passionate about designing and building a competitive race car and then compromise the car on the track by taking a driver who is not the very best, simply because he brings money to the table.”

I’m among the best in F1 – Grosjean (ESPN)

“I think I have proven that I am part of the best drivers and that’s how I consider myself.”

Di Restas ??fixated? by chance to make millions (The Telegraph)

Paul di Resta and his father Louis were accused of being ‘totally unreliable witnesses’ who became ‘fixated’ by the prospect of a multimillion-pound sponsorship windfall, as the damages lawsuit brought by the Scottish driver?s former manager Anthony Hamilton continued in the High Court on Tuesday.”

Newey warns F1 risks stagnation (Autosport)

“If the regulations continue to become ever more restrictive we’ll eventually get the point where the car’s more or less designed by the rulebook.”

Worst. Rule Change. Ever. (The Buxton Blog)

“This rule change threatens to devalue the entire championship. The entire sport.”

Ecclestone’s new formula for F1 finale is a folly that may yet blow up in his face (The Herald)

“It is a fundamental principle of sport that the best person wins. The latest F1 idea flies in the face of that. They are creating a lottery which could deny the best for the sake of resuscitating flagging interest. And making the sport even more artificial than it is now.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

@Uan takes issue with revisionist views of Sebastian Vettel’s breakthrough victory in the 2008 Italian Grand Prix.

Can we put to rest the canard using [Sebastien] Bourdais to marginalize Vettel?s win? The win is only one metric. Look at the season as a whole.

Vettel had nine points finishes to Bourdais’ two. Look at the way both finished the season after Monza: Vettel ?ǣ 5th, 6th, 9th, 4th; Bourdais 12th, 10th, 13th, 14th.

As for the win, one of the more impressive things is that he didn?t bin it. Look at Hulkenberg last year in Brazil, he really should have won the race, P2 at the minimum, but he did collide with Hamilton, and while the penalty was harsh (it was more a racing incident), it shouldn?t have happened.

Vettel had 35 points in 2008, more than both Red Bulls drivers and Bourdais combined. And he was only 21 years old. At Monaco, he qualified 18th, but finished 5th (if any driver did that today they?d be hailed as the second coming).
@Uan

From the forum

Happy birthday!

No F1 Fanatic birthdays today

On this day in F1

Onofre Marimon was born 90 years ago today. He drove alongside his great Argentinian compatriot Juan Manuel Fangio at Maserati in 1953, finishing on the podium at Spa. He did so again the following year at Silverstone, but during practice for the following race at the Nurbrgring he crashed and was killed.

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

116 comments on Irvine lambasts “insane” double points rule

1. Chad (@chaddy) said on 19th December 2013, 3:06

I went back and read the article on Vettel’s first win, and saw this comment in the discussion:

@DC said on 14th September 2008, 16:59
    Great drive for Vettel. It is really exciting to see someone new up there.”

Ha!

• Well, it WAS really exciting to see someone new up there!

Now we have to wait for the next big thing. Grosjean? He is really impressing me, and it’s surprising to see how far he has come. I can’t wait to see how he does next year.

• That depends on whether or not Lotus can turn out a competitive car next year – which, given their financial difficulties and loss of personnel in recent months, is not assured by any means.

One slight issue that I do have with that COTD is the fact that there a couple of caveats with those results – the next race after Monza, the Singapore GP, is somewhat unrepresentative given the race fixing scandal (after all, that same race saw Rosberg 2nd when, for most of the season, he couldn’t even finish in the top 10 in most races).
        As for the Japanese GP, Bourdais actually finished ahead of Vettel but was penalised – many felt entirely wrongly – after the collision between himself and Massa.

2. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 19th December 2013, 3:17

Never thought I’d say this but Eddie Irvine is completely right. The double points rule is an embarrassment to say the least. Now that Eddie has said something sensible, I fully expect the four horsemen of the apocalypse to come along any minute.

• S2G-Unit (@s2g-unit) said on 19th December 2013, 6:04

The DRS passes & tyres that last 5 laps (@ 80% or 1 lap in quali) in Formula one is a joke.

• Paul A (@paul-a) said on 19th December 2013, 15:30

Apparently Rosberg has just suffered a 200mph tyre blowout during the Bahrain “secret” testing. When will F1 stop gimmicks? They’re killing competitive technology, making a lottery out of the championships, taking away from driving skill, and insulting most of the fans — certainly those like me who’ve been following it for over sixty years.

3. Ciaran (@ciaran) said on 19th December 2013, 4:09

The complaining about the double points is getting ridiculous. People claiming to never watch another race won’t end up doing a thing, they’ll just keep whining as always. For what it’s worth, I’m not for double points at all, but it’d be nice to see some coherent backlash from fans instead of whatever we’re seeing recently.
    Also interesting to see Irvine say “I am not going to watch another race until that rule gets kicked out”, and then go on to say “I don’t watch sport really” in the same interview.

• montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 19th December 2013, 11:57

@ciaran I’d say that it’s the complaining about the complaining that’s getting ridiculous. Can you read another people’s minds to decide that they “won’t do a thing”? You’re too free to pass your opinion as a fact that will def. happen. And what’s not coherent about people that say they despise everything about this rule and will stop watching unless it’s changed? People need to get vocal in masses, send angry e-mails etc. and only then there’s a chance that this lunacy will be stopped.

Also I don’t see anything wrong about what Irvine had said as obviously he meant sports that are not F1. For an insider, like a former F1 driver it’s quite normal to refer to F1 as just “F1″ with separation from other sports

• JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 19th December 2013, 12:51

Please, let’s just stop this complaining about the complaining about the complaining already.

(Note: this isn’t a complaint, just a polite request :P)

I also don’t understand everyone talking about not watching come March, if you hate the double points rule then watch the first 18 races and boycott the Abu Dhabi race?

• montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 19th December 2013, 14:58

@jerseyf1 Request noted… But politely ignored! :)

As of the reason not to watch in March then it’s purely because there’s no point in watching a tainted championship which goes against everything F1 stands for(at least for me it’s purely because of that, I’m sure other people will have other reasons). If in the opinion of Scrooge McBernie and the FIA the first 18 races aren’t worth as much as Abu Dhabi then in my eyes the whole championship is worthless that may possibly crown a worthless champion too

Admittedly the curiosity level about the new F1 is very high but I have a strong enough character to stand up to my promise

4. Fisha695 (@fisha695) said on 19th December 2013, 5:08

Growing up in America going to various short-tracks I don’t really have an issue with it because “Double Points Nights” are the norm for usually atleast 2 races a year (midway & season finale, sometimes the season opener too).

5. David not Coulthard (@) said on 19th December 2013, 5:19

Yet abother one from a Red Bull (OK, Jaguar) driver.

At least he was a ferrari driver as well :p

6. Pandaslap (@pandaslap) said on 19th December 2013, 5:44

Interesting words from Mr. Mallya. I agree with him wholeheartedly but he seemed to have no problem taking Adrian Sutil’s money over Jules Bianchi’s talent last year and, while Perez is a great move for the team, I’m sure Mallya won’t mind Telmex money either. However true his words are, they seem rather absurd coming out of his mouth.

• maarten.f1 (@maarten-f1) said on 19th December 2013, 7:16

@pandaslap You can’t blame Mallya for not taking Bianchi over Sutil. Sutil is a known quantity, he’s a solid driver (not awesome, not bad either) and Bianchi was an unknown. There aren’t many teams that are near the front willing to put a rookie in their car. Only McLaren comes to mind, but they have such an advanced simulator they can have rookies prepare properly and judge them accordingly. And now with the rule change coming up, maybe having a more experienced driver is preferable over someone who is less experienced.

What also counts are the things we, as fans, cannot see. It’s one thing that a driver is quick around the track, but there’s so much more to a good driver. Look at Di Resta, he’s a fairly quick driver, but he’s pretty much out of Formula 1. Not because he’s slow or a bad driver, but because of other things.

• Sharon H (@sharoncom) said on 19th December 2013, 12:25

I think he has also said he doesn’t want to develop other teams’ young drivers, which might explain why he didn’t take on Bianchi. How realistic that is when belonging to a young driver program or having a big sack of money is just about the only way of getting an F1 drive these days is another matter.

7. Maksutov (@maksutov) said on 19th December 2013, 7:15

I don’t see whats all the fuss about the double point system… yeah ok, its not fair , but so are many other rules. Just get over it.

• montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 19th December 2013, 12:05

@maksutov It’s not just unfair, it’s both unfair and rubbish, more artificial than the sprinklers idea and all other retarded Bernie ideas. All races in the championship should be equal otherwise you’re opening a Pandora’s box. Next Monaco wants extra points and Bahrain as they pay more and Bernie will sell rights for points for xtra money to tracks etc. This will kill any semblance of a sport in F1 it’s going against something as essential as open-wheel single seaters in F1. If you have no problem with that then fine everyone’s entitled to their opinion

• Maciek (@maciek) said on 19th December 2013, 15:58

That’s not much of an argument – might as well make any number of random changes and say ‘get over it, it was unfair already’.

• Maksutov (@maksutov) said on 20th December 2013, 2:06

@maciek

As I’ve said before , I don’t completely agree with the rule, but I don’t disagree with it either. The rule is equal for everyone I guess. One positive I see is at least it will make the leaders think twice before they become too comfortable with their championship lead 2/3 of the way trough the season, or the teams for the constructors lead/points. It’s the last race of the year and so why not go out with the bang. Usually by this time/race majority of the teams are winding down because everyone knows the outcome, and some teams have even stopped developing their cars. But I think this needs to change, or forced to be changed. So that’s one good thing. But if it’s going to be exploited as @montreal95 suggested, then I agree it’s no good.

8. eljueta said on 19th December 2013, 7:35

Dang! I was in Dubai and took a picture of the exact same helmet as Alonso :D

9. jh1806 (@jh1806) said on 19th December 2013, 7:57

Could someone please explain to me (in a nutshell) what this whole DiResta/Hamilton thing is all about?

• maarten.f1 (@maarten-f1) said on 19th December 2013, 8:30

@jh1806 Moneyz!! What else would it be about?

Hamilton is sueing Di Resta for wrongful dismissal, while Di Resta argues that Hamilton has done a crappy job, etc, etc. Whatever the outcome of this, nobody is a winner, that’s for sure

10. 68btyme (@steadyb) said on 19th December 2013, 8:20

Isn’t Irvine a commentator? If that is so, I guess he just quit his job.

11. Not sure if a recent interview with Grosjean has made it into the anglo press yet, but he made some interesting remarks about Raikkonen (my translations, so please forgive any inaccuracies):

“He’s someone quite “special”. There was zero human relationship [between us]. I was even surprised when, arriving at Spa, he said “Well done on your kid”. It’s pretty much the only thing he must have said to me in two years…”
    Link in French

12. smudgersmith1 (@smudgersmith1) said on 19th December 2013, 8:55

Imagine a driver, any driver being 49 points ahead after a great season, and some other guy who has lucked in a few podiums suddenly gets a lucky break in the last race, the leader gets a puncture (hey it happens) and then we have a champion who quite frankly doesn’t deserve it, well remember you heard it first here !

13. Sjostrand (@sjostrand) said on 19th December 2013, 9:38

In other news:
    The football World Cups group play will award the usual 3 points for the winners in the first two matches the teams play. The third (and final group play) match will award 6 points for the winners. This is to keep the excitement for the audience.

Also, in all national European football leagues, the final matches will give 10 points for wins and three points for draws.

14. craig-o (@craig-o) said on 19th December 2013, 9:42

For the first time ever, Eddie Irvine speaks some sense.

15. MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 19th December 2013, 10:04

If the championship was decided in Brazil, I could well imagine a scenario where the champions deliberately finished outside of the top ten in the final race because they don’t want to have to pay the extra points premium. Which would create a bit of a farce. I’m sort of hoping that will be the case, and that F1 will finally reap what it sows.

• JerseyF1 (@jerseyf1) said on 19th December 2013, 12:56

But then some of the poorer teams down the grid may not be able to afford to pick up too many points either and so we then end up with the first ever “who can drive the slowest” F1 race in Abu Dhabi.