Nine races live on the BBC in 2014

2014 F1 season

Start, Interlagos, 2013Nine of the race on the 2014 F1 calendar will be shown live on free-to-air television in the UK.

The BBC will have live coverage of nine rounds of the nineteen-race season and will show highlights of the remaining rounds. Sky will show live coverage of all the races on its subscription service.

Formula One’s inaugural Russian race will be shown live on the BBC but its return to Austria will not. Here’s a full list of which races will be shown live on which channels in 2014.

Round Race Circuit Date Channel
1 Australian Grand Prix Albert Park March 14 ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ 16 Sky
2 Malaysian Grand Prix Sepang International Circuit March 28 ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ 30 BBC/Sky
3 Bahrain Grand Prix Bahrain International Circuit April 4 ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ 6 Sky
4 Chinese Grand Prix Shanghai International Circuit April 18 ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ 20 Sky
5 Spanish Grand Prix Circuit de Catalunya May 9 ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ 11 BBC/Sky
6 Monaco Grand Prix Monte-Carlo May 22 ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ 25 Sky
7 Canadian Grand Prix Circuit Gilles Villeneuve June 6 ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ 8 BBC/Sky
8 Austrian Grand Prix Red Bull Ring June 20 ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ 22 Sky
9 British Grand Prix Silverstone July 4 ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ 6 BBC/Sky
10 German Grand Prix Hockenheimring July 18 ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ 20 Sky
11 Hungarian Grand Prix Hungaroring July 25 ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ 27 Sky
12 Belgian Grand Prix Spa-Francorchamps August 22 ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ 24 BBC/Sky
13 Italian Grand Prix Monza September 5 ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ 7 BBC/Sky
14 Singapore Grand Prix Singapore September 19 ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ 21 Sky
15 Japanese Grand Prix Suzuka October 3 ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ 5 BBC/Sky
16 Russian Grand Prix Sochi October 10 ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ 12 BBC/Sky
17 United States Grand Prix Circuit of the Americas October 31 ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ November 2 Sky
18 Brazilian Grand Prix Interlagos November 7 ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ 9 Sky
19 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Yas Marina November 21 ?σΤιΌΤΗ£ 23 BBC/Sky

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?ι?® Daimler/Hoch Zwei

63 comments on Nine races live on the BBC in 2014

1. Some of these comments are a bit extreme. Sure 9 races isn’t great, and due to Abu Dhabi being the season finale, that has to be one of the 9.. But come on. What do you people want?

Colour TV License – Β£145.50 that is INCREDIBLE. Averages at just over Β£12 a month, and that funds BBC TV and BBC Radio. I don’t know about you, but between BBC News, Mock the Week, Top Gear, Total Wipeout, Panomara, Match of the Day I’m pretty damn pleased with what costs just Β£145.50 a year.

It’s almost laughable how people think they’re entitled to free race coverage. It’s a capitalist world guys…

Forget our national budget cuts which greatly effect non-essential departments (Hello, BBS), job cuts etc.
    Forget all that, I want more free races and I want them now. I ask you take a second to think about the world. F1 is not some cushioned bubble. It is affected by things, and the economy is one of them! Give the BBC a break

• Ciaran (@ciaran) said on 20th December 2013, 21:54

“It’s almost laughable how people think they’re entitled to free race coverage.”

About time someone said this. I honestly can’t believe how much people can complain about the sheer indignity of only getting half of a privately-owned sport live, and the other half as deferred coverage for free (ignoring the TV license). Maybe this is harsh, but just because someone is passionate about F1 doesn’t entitle them to getting coverage for free – if they want it they should pay for it. I’d be perfectly happy to pay for an official F1 streaming service if such a system existed.

• Have you wondered why there is no such a thing as formula one channel? there would not be enough takers to support it on cable form anyway (and moto gp will agree that not by internet either) Yet there are soccer channels all over the world, and growing, any other offer that comes to you is more welcome that one you have to go and get, as the accessibility decreases, so will the number of viewers, inevitable. The future of f1 is not secured by subscriptions, but by sponsors, sponsors need vast amounts of viewers, when it comes down to numbers, there are not enough formula one fanatics in the world to support the sport, and world economy keeps going down. I would compare it with horse racing, where real connoisseurs have the means to watch, gamble and travel, but then again, how many of them are there? you have to reach for the most viewers you can get, before they find something else, even technical minds are wondering to other sources of interest, the more you know about numbers statistics and engineering the harder it is to deny, that budget dictates results, not drivers by themselves on race day.

2. Spawinte (@spawinte) said on 20th December 2013, 18:50

Will be watching the whole season on illegal streams next year. Still no streaming offer from FOM despite sports like Major League Baseball and NFL having it for years.

3. Strontium (@strontium) said on 20th December 2013, 19:00

Annoyed that the licence payers get a worse deal if there are an odd number of races. So typical :’(

But the races the BBC have are all of the better ones this year thankfully, other than Brazil, but I blame the calendar for that one, rather than the BBC / $ky

4. Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 20th December 2013, 19:20

I think it would be better if Sky just produced the highlights and showed them on their free channel, “Pick”.
    They’ve started doing that with the cricket, a summary of the day’s action that’s been shown on Sky Sports earlier, and it’s a great, no-nonsense highlights show, with much more action per hour than previous free-broadcaster Channel 5 ever had.
    I’d prefer that approach to the BBC F1 highlight shows with their stupid montages, unnecessary build-up and wooden scripted links.

The decent interviewers and commentators are still spread between the channels in my opinion, and neither presenter is good enough, but that won’t be solved until someone gets exclusive rights.

5. What a great promotion for so called illegal downloading and streaming.

Last two seasons I had Sky F1. After this season, I cancelled it. And that was before the insane rule changes recently announced. F1 is no longer something I must watch live, and Sky simply does not offer anything I want to pay extra, over and above the UK TV licence fee, for.

From DRS to Vettel getting unchallenged praise for Newey’s genius car, F1 has become little more than TOWIE with wheels to me. In fact, at least TOWIE in creating some faked up drama.

Yeah, I’ll follow F1, but for the first time in 25 odd years, I actually dont care like I used to. F1 is now a side show, rather than an essential part of my life.

Im now a lot more excited about Formula E. Heh, I even found bloody NASCAR more engaging this year. How the hell did that happen?

6. Chalky (@chalky) said on 20th December 2013, 23:01

Look on the bright side. They have Abu Dhabi and that’s double points, so really it’s 10 races…..
    (sarcasm)

With the BBC not running every race in full (even delayed) I significantly watched less F1 this year. That’s by my choice, not because they showed less. It was just too odd trying to get into race highlights. The races with little overtaking had no suspense and those with plenty got too confusing to follow who was were. I didn’t even watch the last 3 races, live or not. Not even the highlights, as my interest of on and off live races had sapped my enthusiasm. I haven’t done that for years.

But now with the crazy double points rule and less than 50% of races in full for me to watch, I may start to miss some during the main season too.

7. PMccarthy_is_a_legend (@pmccarthy_is_a_legend) said on 21st December 2013, 0:00

No Brazil or Monaco on the BBC! What a joke. I am not paying for a subscription though, will watch Moto GP on BT sport I got for free from my broadband subscription. Better racing, no BS!

8. William (@william) said on 21st December 2013, 2:48

Apparently in Australia Ten have signed V8 deal from 2015 alongside MotoGP and F1. The V8 deal is a sad day for motorsport as it will be like BBC/Sky TV deal. James Warburton the CEO isn’t revealing anything till the 2015 V8 calendar has been announced. All I know is that MotoGP runs out at the end of next season while Formula 1 runs out after the 2015 season and no other broadcast wants either of them. Ten is the ‘home of motorsport’ in Australia.

9. Dennis Kwok said on 21st December 2013, 19:45

I’m concerned less about what races are going to be live etc. but more corcerned if the BBC are going to keep Suzy Perry as the main presenter. She’s absolutely hopeless and that’s being kind. What’s unforgivable, is that she actually got worse as the season went on. It got so bad, that I had to stick her on mute everytime she was talking during a live broadcast and deliberately used to watch the highlights delayed by twenty mins, just so I could fast forward through the her bits. It’s excruciating seeing her struggle so out of her depth.

10. Philip Keehn said on 17th February 2014, 8:56

I don’t think its fair to F1 fans who can’t afford sky etc..the programme used to be great on BBC when they showed all F1 races. they show full coverage of other sports so why not F1