Alonso says he “can learn a lot” from Raikkonen

2014 F1 season

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Interlagos, 2013Fernando Alonso welcomed new team mate Kimi Raikkonen to Ferrari, saying he can learn from the 2007 world champion.

“I have faith in Ferrari and I am happy to be able to work with Raikkonen, a driver who has a rare talent and from whom I can learn a lot,” said Alonso.

“The experience he and I have will be vital to develop the car: the most important thing is that we work together for Ferrari and that a red car is first across the line, no matter which one.”

Alonso, who was rumoured to be considering leaving the team during the season, said he was optimistic about Ferrari’s prospects with the new 2014 regulations.

“Maybe now there are those who believe that it would be better to chose Red Bull, but Ferrari is always the winning hand and one has to have maximum faith in them. I hope we can improve on 2013, maybe making the most of the rule changes to be at the same level as the best.”

Alonso added his preferred number for next year, when drivers will be able to choose their car numbers, is 14. “It?s always brought me luck, ever since I won at the age of 14, on 14th July in 1996, with a kart that had the number 14. Let?s see it if still brings me luck.”

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

51 comments on Alonso says he “can learn a lot” from Raikkonen

1. Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 21st December 2013, 9:22

You cant learn a lot from kimi, simply because he never talks.

2. David not Coulthard (@) said on 21st December 2013, 9:28

Alonso’s going to learn how to “smoke” snus?

3. Hmm!! so Alonso’s lucky number is 14 … and the next year is 2014.
    Any guesses, as to what Alonso might be thinking right now?

4. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 21st December 2013, 10:03

on 14th July in 1996

I was 7 years and 30 days old

5. Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 21st December 2013, 10:07

Great choice of photo!

6. Gaston (@gastonmazzacane) said on 21st December 2013, 10:22

Even if he doesn’t get any more championships, for sure he will get an academy award for the best actor;)

7. Ud (@udm7) said on 21st December 2013, 10:49

I was interested in what number Fernando would choose. He’s superstitious around numbers.
    Hopefully he wins in 14 :)

8. ME4ME (@me4me) said on 21st December 2013, 11:38

I like Alonso as a driver and what he does on track, but boy sometimes he talks rubbish.

• Robbie said on 21st December 2013, 13:46

Yeah I don’t know who has had the option to ‘choose’ Red Bull, unless you are a fan and can choose to cheer for them or not, but I don’t think FA has had a choice when it comes to RBR. And I don’t think FA has always had maximium faith in Ferrari, but what is true is that they will always be a top team…it’s practically written in the FIA/F1 constitution, along with the extra money they get and the extra veto power.

Anyway…don’t we have to throw out 2013, so drastic are the rule changes? I think Ferrari and Mercedes should carry the greater potential of nailing their package out of the box, due to their marriage of factory chassis’ to factory engines. That’s still no guarantee, but I’m certainly not assuming it’s going to be an RBR runaway just because of the last 4 years.

• Robbie said on 21st December 2013, 13:49

Just to add…what I do like a lot is that KR is on the team and Ferrari have done a reversal and are now a 2 rooster team. Best move they could have made for the F1 fans, imho. They’re going to be great to watch.

9. Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 21st December 2013, 15:16

Did Luca di Montezemolo not recently declare Kimi was official #2 driver?

10. Timothy Katz (@timothykatz) said on 21st December 2013, 15:18

You don’t think do you, that Red Bull offered the seat to Alonso when Webber was retired?

11. NotMyFault64 (@notmyfault64) said on 21st December 2013, 15:24

Preseason talk…. Just wait until Kimi beats him for 3 races in a row. I will give this “marriage” half the season until fireworks… Not that it would be unexpected, both these guys think they are number 1! It should be fun no matter what….

12. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 21st December 2013, 15:58

Alonso says he “can learn a lot” from Raikkonen

Like how to fool the fans waiting outside the paddock at Silverstone by leaving at 5? Trust me Fernando, I have a signed 1/2 scale replica of Kimi’s helmet that proves that doesn’t work.

13. pking008 (@pking008) said on 21st December 2013, 16:33

Fernando, always the politician. now he has to get the Ferrari garage behind himself by saying these things. Let the mind games begin. would be fascinating to watch how this one plays out.

14. Swindle94 (@swindle94) said on 21st December 2013, 18:59

Can’t wait to see these two on track next year. Especially if Kimi gets the better of Alonso a couple races in a row. The two could not be more different away from the car.

15. Mackeine Loveine (@cocaine-mackeine) said on 21st December 2013, 19:24

Fernando can learn a lot from Kimi because the Iceman never talks and always makes actions instead of talking, as Fernanado does.