Kimi Raikkonen now most popular driver on F1 Fanatic

2013 F1 season review

Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, Monza, 2013Kimi Raikkonen has overtaken Jenson Button as the most popular driver among F1 Fanatic readers.

Here’s who F1 Fanatic readers were supporting at the end of 2013.

Drivers

Another driver whose popularity has grown among F1 Fanatic readers recently is hNico Hulkenberg, who now features inside the top ten.

Mark Webber has announced his departure from F1 having been the fifth-most popular driver on the site, with more supporters than team mate Sebastian Vettel.

Here’s the data in full:

Teams

The last time we looked at the data Lotus were poised to overtake Ferrari as the most popular team. The gap has widened since then, suggesting Raikkonen’s impending switch of teams is already having an effect.

However despite a poor 2013 campaign McLaren remain comfortably the most popular team.

Which drivers and teams do you support?

Here’s how to show who you’re supporting on F1 Fanatic:

• Log in with your F1 Fanatic account (sign up here if you don’t have one)
  • Select Edit My Profile from the top-right menu
  • Select F1 Teams and Drivers
  • Make your selections then click Save Changes

Where are F1 Fanatic readers from?

See the most recent breakdown of F1 Fanatic readers by region.

2013 F1 season review

Browse all 2013 F1 season review articles

Image ?? Lotus/LAT

100 comments on Kimi Raikkonen now most popular driver on F1 Fanatic

1 2 3
  1. bharat (@bharat141) said on 26th December 2013, 10:37

Where is marussia in the team rankings?? I don’t see them

2. ME4ME (@me4me) said on 26th December 2013, 11:11

For some reason these numbers don’t seem right to me. Could very well be cause they don’t match my personal preferences, but Di Resta over Rosberg, Hulkenberg and Massa.. really? Also when reading comments on this site the last few months, thats not what people write. I guess maybe some people haven’t updated their F1F profile in a while, and therefore these “new” stats include old data. Would have been interesting if preference-profiles got cleaned some weeks before this article is made, and then see what people really think at current date. Anyway, thats just a suggestion. Thanks for the article Keith :)

• There might be some old info in there, but I think we also have to remember the language of the site and those who use it. If you go to a German-language F1 website, I expect Rosberg and Hulkenberg are higher. A Portuguese site, you probably will find a lot of Massa fans. Every so often people complain about F1Fanatic being too UK-centric, but I think it is just natural to have this tilt because of the language.

• It’s pretty hard to determine what profiles aren’t updated, used or temporarily inactive without having a dedicated person to check on that. Heck, most pay-to-register forums have tons of ‘lurkers’ and people who post 3 times a year. You can’t delete or decide not to include those profiles or clean them; they might not come back.

People are going to like who they are going to like, too. Hulkenberg hasn’t been around that long, Massa probably lost a lot of support in 2011 and early 2012 and Rosberg is the guy everyone keeps forgetting about.

Besides, Keith posts references to updating your support lists every once in a while. If you’re not going to update then, you’re probably not going to if they’re cleared, while the rest of us have to sort it out again; which’ll end up having a ton of people also not filling in those lists despite being active on here.

• ME4ME (@me4me) said on 26th December 2013, 15:41

I see your point. Not every active member will notice that votes are being collected for presentation. But i guess it’s still better to clean-swipe and get some decent statistics, rather than meaningless data from previous years being used.

3. Haha Kimi’s top, no doubt for his straight talking/rudeness. It just puzzle me how people laugh it off when it’s him, but other drivers get vilified the second they’re not polite to their engineer etc

• Nick (@nick-uk) said on 26th December 2013, 11:31

I know what you mean. I like to watch him race… but on the rare occassion he opens his mouth I wish he hadn’t!

• It just puzzle me how people laugh it off when it’s him, but other drivers get vilified the second they’re not polite to their engineer etc

@timi Care to share any examples?

• Hamilton saying anything akin to ‘Just let me drive, man’ often leads to ridicule.

• Yes, it does lead to ridicule when he begs for more information the next second or when he tweets crap about his team and team mate, radio’s that his own terrible maneuver is the other guys fault and so on and so on. If you can’t see Kimi as far above all that then so be it. At least a lot of people can.
          Peace!

• vineet (@vineet1658) said on 26th December 2013, 16:34

You should have gone through team’s radio communication posted by Keith before commenting on Lewis. Blindly criticizing someone will not do any good to you or your favorite driver. Peace!

• You are funny @vineet ! Maybe you should have gone through which drivers I support? I don’t blindly criticize anyone but however much I love Lewis he still often behaves in hopeless ways that work directly against him. Especially regarding popularity.
            Cheers!

• Because he is trying to imitate Kimi

• Ud (@udm7) said on 26th December 2013, 12:22

Probably because he doesn’t talk well due to PR and then screams at his engineers when most of the time the general audience doesn’t get to know of it. He isn’t hypocritical, he doesn’t care what others think of him. You don’t see that kind of people.
      Unlike Hamilton, as Nick said. Or Vettel (atleast Malaysia and him ignoring Rocky’s “dont do a purple” every race.
      And I don’t support Kimi, I’m not biased against you.

• @timi. I am with you. I don’t get all the fawning over Kimi. He is robotic, sometimes rude towards his team and yet every syllable he utters is received with bated breath and applause by his fans. Not to mention he hardly engages them (fans)

4. sushant008 (@sushant008) said on 26th December 2013, 11:33

Di Resta more popular than Hulkenberg, Rosberg, Massa, Parez? Force India less popular than Sauber despite having a better driver line-up? You are kidding me, right???

5. zoom (@zoomracing) said on 26th December 2013, 11:39

lol Vettel.

6. Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 26th December 2013, 11:53

Kimi’s help column: Brazil 2007

“When you win a world championship, show some excitement but not too much so as to not waste your energy levels”

Kimi’s help column: Malaysia 2009

“When its raining, don’t go outside. Simply have an Ice Cream and a Coke”

Kimi’s help column: Abu Dhabi 2013

“When your teams not paying you, a ‘back’ problem always comes in handy”

7. spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 26th December 2013, 12:00

Seriously, Raikkonen? I personally find him quite tasteless.

• I’m not a big fan of Kimi off-track. You can have a laugh at him, but in the end he can come across as a forced character. In some interviews you can get a glimpse of the real Kimi, but generally he puts on a persona of the Iceman and ends up shunning the people who support him.

On track, though, Kimi is one of my favorites, right up there with Alonso, whose personality doesn’t get my full blessing either. However, I support the drivers I like on-track a whole lot more than the ones I like off-track. You’d be more likely to see me pissed at Alonso and Raikkonen doing poorly, than being happy Vergne or van der Garde doing well.

• mantresx (@mantresx) said on 26th December 2013, 16:15

@spoutnik Yeah, I find it quite strange that he has so many fans, people complain that we don’t see the driver’s personalities anymore but I don’t think Kimi is all grumpy with his family and friends too, so we’re not seeing his real personality either.
      I think people just like something different that’s all.

8. Funkyf1 (@funkyf1) said on 26th December 2013, 12:31

I’m tipping Mercedes and Williams, Rosberg and Massa will again gain momentum next year along with Ferrari overtaking Mclaren

9. wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 26th December 2013, 13:10

Why is Raikkonen the most-liked? Simply because he’s different from the rest. He’s apolitical, straight-talking, matter-of-fact and very cool. Yes, even he loses his calm on occasions, but who doesn’t? He doesn’t order about the team to build a fast car from him, does not try and put the talent of others down, doesn’t blame his team for errors that are his doing, owns up for his mistakes, doesn’t play mind games. He is, on many levels, better as a person than all of the champions in the field. Vettel is probably a close second, with Button and the rest following.
    Of course, he wouldn’t be as much in the limelight as he is, if he wasn’t successful, which brings me to the drivers who haven’t won championships. Many of them may actually have the potential to be more liked than Raikkonen (Ricciardo’s Colgate Smile comes to mind as a potential likeability magnet), but they are still young and/or are not yet in the limelight. So, Kimi’s opposition is just the champions, and he’s definitely the one with the least bones about stuff.

• montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 26th December 2013, 18:29

@wsrgo Spot on, mostly. Disagree about DR however. I never got the appeal of Ricciardo to be honest, both in and out of the car. Yes, he smiles a lot(too much?), but he looks to me just another PR robot like the rest of them. Different programming that’s all

10. HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 26th December 2013, 13:14

Kimi’s 1st place doesn’t really surprise me, but Di Resta being P7 is a surprise. I guess big amount of British users explaisn that.
    I’m glad to see Bottas is the most popular rookie over Bianchi!

How many Kvyat supporters are there? I can’t be the only one… right?

11. iAltair (@ialtair) said on 26th December 2013, 13:18

Yes yes yes, I know what I am doing. Just leave me alone.

12. James (@speedking84) said on 26th December 2013, 13:20

Raikkonen? Yeah I found his little stunt in India heroic (sarcasm), the biggest surprise of this article was when I read he overtook Button, I mean how is Jenson ‘the balance isn’t right’ Button popular in any way, I get bored of his monotonous drone on the team radio, like “Just no grip out there guys” or “Yeah the Caterham’s completely screwed us”.

13. Ivan (@wpinrui) said on 26th December 2013, 13:42

Not surprised Toro Rosso isn’t particularly popular. They just don’t feel like a proper team, just a baby team for Red Bull. I’m sure not many people would make friends with a badly cloned version of me, with everything about my clone being worse than me, if you understand my attempt at an analogy…

• mantresx (@mantresx) said on 26th December 2013, 16:24

I agree, whatever little respect I had for Toro Rosso went out the window when poor Tost was trying to justify Helmut Marko’s decision of dropping Alguersuari and Buemi, he said something like “our only purpose is to find young talent for Red Bull” any other team would say winning!!!

• in the end that is what they are here for: provide RB with experienced drivers when they need it. but im sure, some italians must be rooting for them…

• MattDS said on 26th December 2013, 22:28

Al last that’s one team that consistently brings talent into F1 instead of pay drivers. I tink they’re to be commended for that.

14. Girts (@girts) said on 26th December 2013, 13:56

Well, this is a Finnish website, what else would you expect?

15. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 26th December 2013, 14:09

Now Webber and Di Resta are gone, Hulk climbs up 2 places.

1 2 3