Kimi Raikkonen now most popular driver on F1 Fanatic

2013 F1 season review

Kimi Raikkonen, Lotus, Monza, 2013Kimi Raikkonen has overtaken Jenson Button as the most popular driver among F1 Fanatic readers.

Here’s who F1 Fanatic readers were supporting at the end of 2013.

Drivers

Another driver whose popularity has grown among F1 Fanatic readers recently is hNico Hulkenberg, who now features inside the top ten.

Mark Webber has announced his departure from F1 having been the fifth-most popular driver on the site, with more supporters than team mate Sebastian Vettel.

Here’s the data in full:

Teams

The last time we looked at the data Lotus were poised to overtake Ferrari as the most popular team. The gap has widened since then, suggesting Raikkonen’s impending switch of teams is already having an effect.

However despite a poor 2013 campaign McLaren remain comfortably the most popular team.

Which drivers and teams do you support?

Here’s how to show who you’re supporting on F1 Fanatic:

• Log in with your F1 Fanatic account (sign up here if you don’t have one)
  • Select Edit My Profile from the top-right menu
  • Select F1 Teams and Drivers
  • Make your selections then click Save Changes

Where are F1 Fanatic readers from?

See the most recent breakdown of F1 Fanatic readers by region.

2013 F1 season review

Browse all 2013 F1 season review articles

Image ?é?® Lotus/LAT

100 comments on Kimi Raikkonen now most popular driver on F1 Fanatic

1. schooner (@schooner) said on 27th December 2013, 2:49

I’ve never been much of a fan of Kimi’s public persona, and I’m a bit surprised to see him at the top of this popularity survey. That said, I do like to watch the guy drive an F1 machine. I admire his skills, and he is surely one of the top drivers in the sport today. I’m really hoping that his pairing with Alonso will provide us with some much needed fireworks. Ferrari isn’t exactly famous for allowing that sort of thing, and it would be way fun to see their intra-team battle for top dog at the red car company become a big story next year. Kimi has his work cut out for him.

2. Sergio Perez (@sergio-perez) said on 27th December 2013, 8:00

Call me crazy but I expect Pastor Maldonado to go up in many people’s list next year, if the Lotus proves to be competitive. The man is not charismatic, but he feels like one of the few drivers on the field “on a mission” to prove something. Vettel is the absolute king right now in terms of a complete package, closely followed by Alonso- However, Alonso feels like he lost his competitive edge. Kimi loves racing, but not to be champion. The others on the field are either playboys or kids having fun. We are missing someone with that will to be Champion like Vettel. The closest one for me is… Pastor Maldonado. Would love to see Da Costa get a chance, another one with a “dream” and committed to it, but also looking forward to Alex Lynn- Remember this name. I interviewed him, very intelligent fellow, confident, and very talented. Lets see if he has the will to be champion. The talent is there. Has the Jenson charm when talking, but that extra “fire” and confidence of a youngster looking to “conquer the world”.

• Pastor won’t win people back very easy, even if he beats Grosjean and the Lotus is a good car. He might be on a mission, but that also turns him blind to the details and makes him lack some empathy. Lauda, Senna, Schumacher and Vettel are relentless, but know what friends to keep and that’s something Maldonado will have to learn. The way he talked about Williams would probably lead to getting fired from Ferrari or McLaren. He needs to learn that mission also has non-racing elements.

Alonso didn’t have the amazing season he had in 2012, but come race day he still got the best out of his car. He might not have been on the podium as much in the final races, but people are quick to forget he scored 3 consecutive 2nd places when Vettel won the first of his 3 races in a row. It could be Alonso peaked in 2012, but personally I felt Schumacher peaked in 2002, dropped off a little in 2003 but managed an amazing 2004 and nearly won the title in 2006, where he made a ton of un-Schumacher-like errors. Alonso probably has a few years left in him.

Raikkonen only shows up to win, so I wouldn’t say he doesn’t love to be champion. Kimi Raikkonen the character seems to be impeding the driver from maximizing his performance, though.

The sweeping generalization the rest are playboys or kids having fun; take it easy, scrooge. Never rule out Hamilton and not every driver will have a Hamilton/Vettel-like winning curve. Hulkenberg is taking his time, Grosjean is talented, Button is no slouch and Bianchi is an interesting prospect.

Personally, I can’t wait to see what happens with Rafaello Marciello. The guy is quick, no doubt, but I wonder how soon Ferrari will let him in F1 and if he can keep up his winning ways before then.

3. smudgersmith1 (@smudgersmith1) said on 27th December 2013, 17:31

I am really staggered that Kimi has so much support, personally i accept he is really fast, not top three but amongst the best of the rest, but boy he is arrogant moody and damn well rude to lots of people just trying to do their job…no thanks.

• mybloodyvalentine said on 29th December 2013, 15:15

best of the rest? he has top driving skill, to me even more talented than vettel. and he is not slower than alonso. vettel is the fastest today, but being fast and being talented are two different things. you may loose some speed as you age, but you can’t loose natural talent. raikkonen was in order talent, speed and race craft in his first career. in his second career he is race craft, talent and speed in order.

4. Nathan (@il-ferrarista) said on 27th December 2013, 17:33

So guys, how would you describe Alonsos personality? And what’s really his sort of ‘samurai personality’?

• Spanish. Guarded and intoverted in public but conscious that he must watch what people think of him. This can lead to him coming across very friendly sometimes but also to many expressions of the exact opposite at other times.

Maybe he is most honest when he is frustrated or happy. I don’t think arrogance is the right word to describe him but you could definitely say that he floats on a cushion of self-confidence. That is a useful strategy to stay focused if you ever doubt yourself.

He likes to be liked. He is afraid of having his words twisted. He employs certain facades to keep control of the discourse.

I think if he could relax he would come across a lot more naturally. Maybe something to watch out for as he gets older.

5. SauberS1 (@saubers1) said on 28th December 2013, 0:10

Is Jenson Button second? This is very strange…

6. Geo (@geo) said on 28th December 2013, 8:37

Like the best writers know, and successful bachelors:
    Mystery keeps an audeince and captivated.

Kimi doesn’t say much, but this feeds imaginations. In the modern F1 circus with endless chains of interviewing journalists, often those who talk too much are considered boring. It is the things that Kimi doesn’t say that let’s people’s imaginations pontificate and postulate what they think that the Iceman is really up to on and off the track.
    This fact plus how he is different from most other drivers, who seek success by doing all the right things, makes him a unique characther that is seen as more honest and breath of fresh, smoky, air.

7. mybloodyvalentine said on 29th December 2013, 15:31

who cares what one says, how he behaves and so on…personally I judge drivers for skills, talent and speed and I’m not interested in their pr work, public profile, social life. I just watch races and even don’t care how they look like. I can’t stand drivers who keep on whining or thing like “do we need to change tyres?” “do we need to change strategy?” since a driver should know what to do and drivers in the past didn’t receive help from team radios.
    I’m impressed that a driver’s popularity is decided because of his attitude outside the track.
    That’s another reason why surveys regarding “best driver” are totally sensible. do we consider their talent or their popularity? Do we consider ho much did they win or how much did they show on track?
    I read some month ago a survey which rated alonso as the best driver of all time…every time I think about it, I simply laugh because people confuse popularity and media appeal with talent.

8. Pink Peril (@pink-peril) said on 30th December 2013, 8:47

I must admit, I used to loathe Kimi. I thought he was totally lacking in personality and what little of it there was, was rude and arrogant. Then one day I just got it. Its an act he puts on, the whole ‘iceman’ persona. But its a persona of his choosing rather than a PR stunt, and that’s what is so honest about it and what appeals to so many people. Plus, on the rare occasions he lets us see the ‘real Kimi’, it is just such a treat.

9. Sam (@) said on 1st January 2014, 16:01

Di Resta out of F1 and I have yet to meet a person who really finds that a shame. Hope he does well in Indy or DTM once more. Maybe he finds a personality there and somehow learns he can be of fault too.

10. BasCB (@bascb) said on 3rd January 2014, 6:43

I only got to read this one today, and off course I grabbed the opportunity to add the new drivers.

But really, what I did was add back in Michael Schumacher, because he needs all the support he can get right now.