Hamilton makes debut as pop vocalist

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, Suzuka, 2013In the round-up: Lewis Hamilton appears as a vocalist on a track by American singer Ana Lou.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Hamilton on a different track as Mercedes star unleashes singing voice in pop debut (Daily Mail)

“[Hamilton] is featured singing lyrics such as ‘Why don’t you give love another try?’ ‘Baby, you should let me be the one’, and ‘I ‘aint nothing like those other guys.'”

Update: Hamilton has since denied it is him singing on the track.

Ferrari: group governance F1’s future (Autosport)

Luca di Montezemolo: “There is no question the young boys love cars and F1 less. One of the reasons, but not the only one, is that the races are becoming too complicated to follow.”

After ‘Rush’, F1 safety hits the screens (Reuters)

“A generation of drivers has now grown up that has never suffered the loss of one of their own at a racetrack, nor started a season wondering whose funeral they might be attending before the year was out.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

Will this year’s dominant car be venerated in the same way other great cars have?

I was looking at this video about the McLaren MP4-4, the most successful F1 car ever made. So many people writing down what a legacy it was, how good it drove and how fast it is. Wondering whether people will remember 2013 for the Red Bull RB9 and Sebastian Vettel dominance in the same way or whether it will always be ‘that boring season’.
Sam (@Ardenflo)

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Lazzar!

On this day in F1

Jim Clark put a seal on his domination of the 1963 championship 50 years ago today by winning the South African Grand Prix.

It was his seventh win in ten races, and in five of those he had led every lap. Dan Gurney was a minute behind in second and Jack Brabham a lapped third.

160 comments on Hamilton makes debut as pop vocalist

1 2 3
  1. bananarama (@bananarama) said on 28th December 2013, 0:16

It is being remembered positively because it was a fight between Prost and Senna and a special weekend in Italy, not because people were happy nobody else had a chance to win for the crushing superiority.

2. Malik (@malik) said on 28th December 2013, 0:19

F1fanatic COTD in 2035
    Comment of the day

I was looking at this video about the Red Bull RB9, one of the most successful F1 cars ever made. So many people writing down what a legacy it was, how good Sebastian Vettel drove it and how fast it is. Wondering whether people will remember 2035 for the Blue Rocket BR6 and Michael Vettel dominance in the same way or whether it will always be ‘that boring season’ :D

3. Paul (@frankjaeger) said on 28th December 2013, 0:20

What’s that? I hear Hamilton getting the **** ripped out of him in the pitlane

4. Jack (@jackisthestig) said on 28th December 2013, 0:20

Someone needs to pour a bucket of cold water over Lewis.

5. xivizmath (@xivizmath) said on 28th December 2013, 0:24

LH gets dangerously close to the Villeneuve line.

And once you cross it, there’s no return.

• tmax (@tmax) said on 28th December 2013, 2:17

I was about to type that comment in… an then i saw yours…..

While admire him for having a great passion and a hobby apart from racing, I hope he does not end up like Villeneuve as a one time champ….

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 28th December 2013, 2:32

@tmax Villeneuve’s mistake was to try to make a team around him… with noone else. BAR was the most unreliable project ever seen those years. He should have tried to get a good manager who could have fit him in a McLaren or even a Ferrari. (Who wouldn’t have trembled to see “Villeneuve” printed in a Ferrari again?)
        Enough “what ifs” for a day.

• tmax (@tmax) said on 28th December 2013, 2:40

@omarr-pepper couldn’t agree more !!!!

• Robbie said on 28th December 2013, 13:49

Yeah, I could write a book of a response, but I’ll just say for starters that as much as I yearned for JV to drive for Ferrari, the fact remains that while JV was in F1 MS did not have the guts to take on a WDC level teammate to actually compete against him, and had they hired JV and actually treated him 50/50 on the team MS would not have achieved anywhere near the numbers he did. So it makes no sense to suggest JV should have had a better manager to get him to Ferrari…no manager could have done that. You have to remember that after JV’s WDC in 97, and then for some years ahead at Williams the engine was no longer being developed, so JV’s competitiveness there had been curbed, and there were no top seats available at the time, but such was his impressive resume, he was able to be a key center at a brand new team with Reynard, who built his CART winning cars and who had won in every series they ever built cars for, and then his talent was enough to bring Honda back into F1. If F1 is to be considered the pinnacle of racing, then by extension the odds are always going to be massively stacked against a brand new team succeeding, but oh my goodness how massive the rewards would have been had it worked.

• for a year or 2 it was when rather than if JV would drive for mclaren then in a matter of months he fell out of favour and everyone(wrongly) thought he was useless.

I still remember him friday qualifying the BAR in 3rd place at australia in 03 i think. Was a brilliant lap.

• @Robbie I truly believe JV was a great talent and if he had greater support from Williams team than Hill in 1996 then he might have won the WDC on debut. I always rated him much above hill and it was heart breaking for me to watch his botched Williams pitstop and rear wheels flying away in the championship decider in Japan even though winning WDC in last race would have been a far cry. Interestingly I had the same feeling when Lewis was stuck in the pit entry gravel in Chinese grandprix in 2007.

BUT I also do believe that it is not right to put all the failures of JV on one perpetual villain MS. Given the Villenueve history at Ferrari, if JV had impressed enough the trio of Big Luca, Todt and Brawn they would have put him in that seat instead of MS . MS was also having second thoughts about Ferrari and Ron was openly courting him with the Newey carrot. At the end of five years Ferrari can say “Money well spent”. I am sure they are not regretting putting MS instead of JV there. I would be surprised if Ferrari had performed any better than what they already did between 2000 to 2004 with JV. That era was absolute domination. I mean it just could’nt get better than that. Mika was moving on so JV could have gotten into Mclaren and teamed up with Newey again to build a team around him to challenge MS and Ferrari. Nothing in that scale happened. I believe he lost the interest completely after the Winfield episode and he was not motivated enough compared to others especially MS who was a winning machine by then.

All this brings me to another thought. Fast forward … people say “MY Granny would have been a 4 time WDC if they had given her the RBR which Vettel was driving.” Interestingly I never heard anyone saying the same about Hill and JV regarding the 1996 and 1997 Cars and WDCs which was a class apart Newey machinery. I mean Hill was on the front row for the entire season in 1996. I never heard the same criticism about Hill and JV like the ones on Vettel !!!!

• aka_robyn said on 28th December 2013, 2:34

Speaking as a Vettel fan, even I think Hamilton needs to get his head back in the game and stop with these distractions. In my opinion, he should be concentrating 100% on his racing. Vettel is likely to be hugely distracted during this upcoming season. If I were Hamilton, I’d be totally focused on taking advantage of that situation. Just a word of advice from an honest admirer, Lewis!

• tmax (@tmax) said on 28th December 2013, 2:43

@aka_robyn are you hinting that Vettel would be distracted because he is gonna be a dad in 2014. I don’t think so.

If that logic holds true romain grosjean should have had a bad year in 2013

• aka_robyn said on 28th December 2013, 4:19

I’d agree with that if Vettel and Grosjean were clones of one another — but they’re different people, and it’s possible they’ll respond to fatherhood differently. Believe me — I’d prefer it if you were correct! But if I were Hamilton (or Alonso), I’d be ready to take full advantage…

• @aka_robyn On the contrary I felt Vettel would be less distracted than RO GRO. I felt Vettel left the family drama and emotions in the alphine mountains when he traveled to the race weekends. I mean he never gets a cart full of family members to races nor is he interested in the media spotlight on that topic. That I believe would help him to keep things simple.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 28th December 2013, 2:48

“All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy”, same for Lewis, Kimi, Fernando, Sebastian, Jenson, Romain et al.

• aka_robyn said on 28th December 2013, 4:24

There will be plenty of time for not being dull after they’ve retired from F1! (Or at least after they’ve won their fill of championships, which Hamilton clearly has not.)

• aka_robyn said on 28th December 2013, 23:55

@lewymp4 No, that falls under the heading “work for sponsors” (in this case, Infiniti), which all drivers are somewhat unfortunately required to do. Nice try, though!

• Robbie said on 28th December 2013, 22:53

@tmax Your first paragraph…I appreciate.

Your second paragraph…It is completely inaccurate to suggest I blame JV’s failures on MS. And when JV had the equipment, he beat MS…hardly failure.

I don’t believe there was ever any thought about any driver but MS going to Ferrari, once Max and Bernie decided they needed a new icon post -Senna and it would be a move of MS from where he was winning to Ferrari where they weren’t, with all the kit and kaboodle to boot.

Such a shame there wasn’t the courage for them to take on JV treated fairly, but that was never in the plan for any driver let alone JV. It had to be a non-WDC bootlicker compliant to the extremest usage ever in F1 of the one-rooster philosophy.

I don’t recall any rumors about JV going to Mac and I don’t think that was in the cards so easily as just saying ‘he could have gone there’…really? You know that he turned down an actual offer?

I think you are trying to rewrite history with your hypothesis that Ferrari considered but rejected JV, or that JV could have walked into a car at Mac.

And JV never lost interest in anything but the distracting politics of F1.

Also, you may have never heard the same ‘granny’ insinuation about the 96 and 97 Williams, but trust me it was there. And that was when I started to hammer home the point to people that virtually all WDC’s need the WCC winning car, and it was up to the drivers then to not squander it and to handle the pressure of having a WDC-potential package. Perhaps 2 years, 2 different Champions in 96 and 97 is different than 1 driver 4 years straight in terms of suggestions of a cakewalk, but anyway like I say I defended JV like a Champ when folks tried to tell me it was just the car.

But I don’t rank SV’s race craft anywhere near JV’s, regardless of 4 unsquandered WDCs vs. 1.

• tmax (@tmax) said on 29th December 2013, 3:07

@Robbie Let me reiterate I thought JV was a good driver and definitely better than Damon Hill.

I am not trying to rewrite history. All I am saying is that if JV was that Phenomenal then big teams other than Ferrari would have picked him up or as you said the Max Bernie Luca combo would have made him the Post Senna Icon. He had more ingredients than MS as far as Image is considered. He was Young. He gave a DH a run for Money in his debut year. He won WDC in year 2. MS tried to crash him out in 1997. So here you have the best Hero JV and the best villain MS. MS was very much hated by then. So if JV was more talented than MS , then Max and Bernie would have loved to make him the Post Senna ICON. Putting him in a Ferrari and a WDC though Ferrrari would Rekindle the Memoirs of his dad !!!!! So by all means if you are saying MS was the chosen one then JV had a better chance to be the chosen one if he was really that phenomenal. And all the teams turned their backs on him.

Look at his Post 1997 performance. He did not win a Single Race after that.
            1998 – Winfield was dud. nothing much to say. Got a decent 5th.
            1999 – 2003. BAR. Nothing. Button drove the BAR in 2004 and was on the Podium many times with MS .
            2004 Renault – No Good. Next year Alonso goes on to win WDC
            2005 – 2006 – BMW Sauber – Nobody knew he existed.

Again I don’t want do compare and Vettel and JV. that is more like Watermelons and Pineapple ( Pls don’t ask me who represents what. Just example :) )

• montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 28th December 2013, 9:20

@xivizmath The Villeneuve line? First of all, its true name is the Fittipaldi line since he was the one who invented it. And I don’t remember LH signing up for a questionable project with huge ambitions but no clue whatsoever how to fulfill them

• Robbie said on 29th December 2013, 6:32

@tmax Have to disagree. MS was in a debacle at Benetton, the media hounding the FIA as to how they could allow MS the WDC in 94 with so many illegalities going on and the whack on DH, after which I believe a decision was made to deflect this mess off their new icon as soon as possible by the move to Ferrari, all while JV was winning and under contracts in CART and getting a tryout at Williams.

Everything else was timing. After Williams, JV decided to form his own team and thus made himself unavailable. He almost went to Renault but Honda promised him the world and so he decided to remain loyal and stick it out with the BAR project. After that there was 3 Renault races, then Sauber. Other top seats full. It’s about timing, and JV wasn’t available when certain top seats were, but then to assume it’s like snapping fingers and he should just be there is oversimplifying. It’s hindsight to say he or teams shoulda woulda coulda done this or that.

And to even say ‘and all the teams turned their backs on him’ again has me of the opinion you are trying to write your own history and build a case against JV while saying you do rate him highly, when in fact he was involved in several teams in his career, spoken highly of by pretty much everyone he worked with that isn’t David Richards, and many would have had him had he been available or had he wanted to go to them. Had it been that simple.

He was at Williams which was the right move as it garnered him his WDC, brought Honda back to F1, worked for Renault, and Sauber with BMW. Ferrari was never a thought because of their MS one rooster philosophy…so who are ALL the teams that turned their back on him? Said by you like they ripped off their sleeves in front of him and disowned him for shaming them by him daring to darken their doorstep.

• gregwtravels (@gregwtravels) said on 28th December 2013, 9:45

I do hope that Lewis can manage to sell more albums than JV did.

• Robbie said on 28th December 2013, 13:35

As a ‘one-time champ’ (said by a poster like it is barely worth a mention) not to mention CART Champion and Indy 500 winner, JV has nothing to hang his head about. He’s got on his F1 resume the stuff that 99% of F1 drivers never achieve, and on his whole racing resume the stuff that 99.9% of drivers in the history of racing globally have never achieved. And it’s all well and good to look back in hindsight and be an armchair expert, but it is what it is. Nobody, that I’m aware of, has a crystal ball to protect them from taking risks.

As to JV’s musical hobby, I love what JV said when he was told what MS said when they asked him what he thought about JV’s music career. When asked, MS said he wished JV better luck than he had had in F1, to which JV later replied that he took that as a big compliment, since he was a F1 World Champion.

6. Paul (@frankjaeger) said on 28th December 2013, 0:40

That F1 doc sounds absolutely cracking, I’ve always preferred these to dramatised outputs like Rush. I remember a great documentary shown on the BBC a year or 2 ago, just about the time when I was really being drawn in to F1. ‘Formula 1: The Killer Years’ it was called. It detailed the horrific disregard of health and safety practice at the time, and revisited some of the fatal crashes endured in this period, with much input from Jackie Stewart and co regaling watchers with the stories of the nordschleife ‘green hell’. It ended with a clip I will never forgot and had no idea existed. It was David Purley trying in vain to right Roger Williamson’s fire-consumed car at Zandvoort ’73. The clip really speaks volumes for the ‘traditional’ malpractice in regards to health & safety back in the early years; seriously harrowing stuff and that alone should have gave people some perspective on what needed to happen for the future. Some people might moan about health and safety now, but as long as it prevents atrocities like that happening, I’m happy. I’m glad with the care exhibited in F1 at the moment and hope they continue to strive for increased safety and reliability. It’s a shame it took so many lives for things to really change

• Toro Stevo (@toro-stevo) said on 28th December 2013, 3:22

I found that Killer Years documentary dramatised as well though, even though I agreed with the assessment of safety issues in F1 as put forward by the drivers in it.

• Jack (@jackisthestig) said on 28th December 2013, 7:09

I thought ‘Killer Years’ was woeful, just an hour long character assassination of Colin Chapman.

• accidental mick (@accidental-mick) said on 28th December 2013, 9:42

I agree with your point about Colin Chapman. However, you you consider the documentary deeper, you will realise that the two who come out worst are Bernie Ecclestone and Max Mosely. They were the two in charge but (in spite of their self congratulations later) they did nothing about safety until forced in to it by the likes of Jackie Stewart.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 28th December 2013, 11:26

Wasn’t Mosely only a team owner and subsequently legal advisor until the early ’90s? I don’t see how he was ‘in charge’ or came out worst at all.

• accidental mick (@accidental-mick) said on 28th December 2013, 13:14

I don’t remember Mosely being a team owner, I only remember him being Ecclestones lawyer when Ecclestone had Brabham. That was what made the deal when the FIA (under Mosely) sold all the advertiseing rights to Ecclestone for a very low price so questionable.

• woogle said on 28th December 2013, 14:23

he owned March

7. Jay Menon (@jaymenon10) said on 28th December 2013, 0:50

Is that a packet of fags in the background of Valtieri’s tweet?

Hehe

8. Kids, cover your ears.

9. JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 28th December 2013, 1:03

I completely disagree with di Montezemolo. There’s an old expression: a camel is a horse designed by a committee. F1 will never move forward if decisions are left to a group of people, even if they are ‘experts’. The recent sloppy decision-making by the strategy group is evidence to this.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 28th December 2013, 1:55

F1 will always go backwards if decisions are left to one man whose sole motivation is profit.

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 28th December 2013, 2:06

But at the same time, you can’t really let the teams make the decisions because they’re hardwired to win. Teams don’t make decisions based on the good of the sport, they make decisions because they think it will help them gain an advantage over the rest.

Ergo: Double Points at the final race.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 28th December 2013, 2:25

“To be, or not to be ? that is the question.”
          Chris, that is the problem, every body has a personal interest, unfortunately Bernies interest is in keeping as much of the revenue as he can, everybody elses interest is sacrificed on that altar. Double points has “Bernie” written all over it.

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 28th December 2013, 3:42

I’m sure Bernie played a role in this travesty that is “double points”, whether or not he was the orchestrator of it, I don’t know, you probably know more on the matter than me.

But, didn’t all but one team (Red Bull) on the Strategy group board support the double points rule?

Meaning they only supported the rule because it has the potential to defeat Sebastian. And I’ll bet that if say, Alonso had been the one dominating F1 the way Vettel has been, that Ferrari would have been the one to oppose double points, and Red Bull would have supported it.

• SeaHorse (@seahorse) said on 28th December 2013, 5:21

@tophercheese21 Isn’t the decision voted for unanimously by all? In that case, just because RedBull came out criticizing the double points first doesn’t mean they indeed opposed it in the strategy group.

• Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 28th December 2013, 9:23

@seahorse

But doesn’t it seem a bit odd that Red Bull would vote for the double points rule, and then proceed to criticise it?

• Breno (@austus) said on 28th December 2013, 19:40

Theres something fishy about this rule, we have had three (?) teams come out and criticise it, just weeks after it was unanimously voted.

• MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 28th December 2013, 23:39

@tophercheese21 The thing is @hohum is correct, it is a Bernie thing with the double points and it became increasingly obvious when he wanted to expand it to three races. Also the money to be made in potentially charging these track groups/owners to become a special privileged golden ticket awarded final decider, only proves how profit driven is. Teams and drivers (especially Ferrari) complained that is made the sport a bigger gimmick and took away from Tradition and prestige of the sport. (obviously paraphrasing)

I will agree that teams are not as bad as Bernie but still not nearly as impartial as the sport needs. The only way to make it work is have a group that is impartial and representatives from a teams as well that will sit down and iron out what is needed.

• MagillaGorilla (@magillagorilla) said on 28th December 2013, 23:44

More importantly it seems to be also FIA joint in nature as well, which is bad too considering what asinine decision they put forth.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 29th December 2013, 1:16

@magillagorilla, right Todt seems very keen to raise more $millions for the FIA which is a non-profit organisation, I’d like to think he was accumulating a war chest to take back control of F1 by declaring the deal whereby Max M. sold his one time business associate and good buddy Bernie E. the TV rights to F1 for $3m. pa. for 100 years, note, the rights were handed to Bernie or a company he owned and controlled, not to a teams organisation or a F1 co-operative venture, those rights now bring in over $1Billion pa., Sadly though my more sceptical self thinks Todt is just Empire building and the extra money will go on higher executive salaries and expenses and currying favour with the national chiefs who control the election of the FIA President.

10. ShaneB457 (@shaneb12345678910) said on 28th December 2013, 1:21

No matter how good/bad the song is, he most definately enjoyed being involved in it, and there’s nothing wrong with doing something that you enjoy. So people shouldn’t bash him for doing it!

• Karl (@formford14) said on 28th December 2013, 4:33

I agree with you. I think it is good to do something he enjoys outside of racing. Its up to him to set his own priorities. We shall see if it will affect his driving.

• Oli Peacock (@olliekart) said on 28th December 2013, 8:50

Nothing more to say then that really. Alonso opened up a museum like collection of all the things to do with him about 2 weeks back but nobody bats an eye lid at that ;)

11. mantresx (@mantresx) said on 28th December 2013, 2:00

OK Valtteri is now the coolest driver in my book, he’s even got a packet of cigarettes laying around! you see Lewis that’s how you spend your free time!!! :)

12. HoHum (@hohum) said on 28th December 2013, 2:01

“on this day” Jim Clark won many races in this manner but I don’t recall people complaining of boredom, of course most of the races Jim Clark didn’t win were DNFs so the possibillity of a last lap mechanical failure kept the tension high right to the end.

13. HoHum (@hohum) said on 28th December 2013, 2:33

Things are quiet so I am going to propose a hypothesis knowing that some of you will relish the excercize of proving me right or wrong:
    The heavy 7 point weighting for the winner over the second place getter played a big part in the early end to the WDC, earlier points allocations would probably have kept the championship alive longer.

That is the challenge for you statisticians out there, I await your response and hope you enjoy the exercise.

• mantresx (@mantresx) said on 28th December 2013, 4:01

@hohum mmm you may be on to something here, and on that subject I also propose some tweaks to the DRS:
      It should only be activated when the car behind is actually behind, when both cars are side by side then the telemetry could deactivate it and both drivers can fight for position, also why 1 second for the detection? why not 0.8, 0.6?

• Toro Stevo (@toro-stevo) said on 28th December 2013, 6:47

Ok, will bite. If you use the original proposal for points when the rules were changed in 2010: (25-20-15-10-8-6-5-3-2-1), then there is unsurprisingly almost no change. Title still wrapped up in India, and final points total for this year (Vettel to Alonso) is 395 vs 238, compared to 397 vs 242.

If you use 2009 points system, then the title is still wrapped up in India, final points 160 to 100 (with 10 points for a win), still 6 wins difference ultimately.

If you use the fota proposal from 09 (http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/03/05/what-will-be-in-fota's-‘future-of-f1’-announcement-today/)
      then it is exactly the same. Title in India, 189 vs 111 (12 points for a win), 6 wins difference.

In fact, I can’t find a points system used in F1 to date (http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2009/12/22/think-the-new-f1-points-system-is-weird-weve-seen-much-stranger-than-that/)
      that doesn’t result in the title being won by Vettel in India, with the exception of the 1991 points system, where Vettel would have won a race earlier in Japan. Note that for the earlier systems, I didn’t take the best x number of results or points for fastest laps, as was done in the 50s.

Big difference between first and second might have made a difference in other years (haven’t checked), but this year it made no difference, they were too dominant.

• Sam (@) said on 28th December 2013, 8:59

I race in several leagues online on several games. Most use the F1 rulebook except for one rule, the points. As our seasons aren’t 20 races but always between 10 and 13 we use two different points formats. One is that of the MotoGP, which keeps the tension in the championship for sure. Only 5 points for the winnner more compared to the second placed man. Another points format we use is the next, giving 16 points to the winner and 12 to second and 10 to third.

(MotoGP points: 25 20 16 13 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1)
      (League points: 16 12 10 8 6 5 4 3 2 1)

I think there are several better formats than this one, to mention one, the format they come from.

14. Yappy said on 28th December 2013, 2:52

Dear Luca di Montezemolo

You seem to not understand the trends. F1 was popular quite a while ago when young people wanted to own convertible sports cars and the dream was to own a supercar. Those cars had a kind of F1 feel. In the 90’s rally became popular and the trend was to own a Celica or a Subaru WRX with a touch of Lancer. Now the trend is hot hatchbacks. Cars that can be heavily modified to go as quick as a supercar and cost less than a tenth of the price of a Ferrari. Blame Fast and the Furious and R&B for that one. While F1 is trying to push into a “Road Relevant” direction it is the supercars that get that technology not cheap modifiable cars. If you want new young Ferrari fans then build a cheap hot hatch with a big sound system.

F1 is a complex sport by nature as it should be. The focus should be aimed at getting the young technically minded people with an interest with engineering to follow. The ones who would one day be designing the cars. So having some design contests for those kinds of people would bring in quite a few.

But if you really want to get everyday young person then do the following. Have Lewis Hamilton’s stylist change the all the drivers to look like Lewis. Get all the drivers to go out with American pop stars. Get all the drivers to release R&B on itunes. Give the drivers modified hatchbacks and make them take part in illegal street racing. When it comes to racing. Long lasting tires and no pitstops that way there is never a question of what position a driver is in. Make the winner score 100 points and scale it back. Give points for everything. More scantily dressed women around the pits. Sit back and watch a lot of dedicated fans find a new sport to follow.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 28th December 2013, 3:31

yappy, your Honda V-tec R would not be pulling 9000 rpm if Honda had not been racing MotoGP and F1.

• Yappy said on 28th December 2013, 4:54

@hohum Took me awhile to work out your response. Active suspension, DRS, launch control. We could give lots of examples going one way or the other. Kind of irrelevant when I was posting about marketing trends rather than “How similar is my car to an F1 car”

• Yappy said on 28th December 2013, 8:52

@hohum

I did not mean to sound so harsh. My point is that F1 bigwigs should spend more thought into how to keep the existing fans like us who get up at odd hours on the morning to watch races and visit websites out of season. Instead of coming up with sideshow rules to attract people who aren’t that interested. F1 is an engineering sport, sell it to those kinds of people.

• Not sure that you nailed it. I have next to no idea of what young car enthusiasts are after, I have never been one (I got to F1 through aviation and paper modelling), so I am not going to argue your observation, but I have a feeling that it is just secondary to the main problem: I did notice that while most of my classmates were talking cars and wanted to sit behind the wheel, my daughter’s classmates are talking games, graphic cards and processor clocks and want to sit in front of a monitor. This trend changed a lot, not just interest in F1. There is overall less interest in knowing how things work, in putting things together, and consequently less interest in engineering (other than CE). In my country, boys magazines that previously catered to boys interested in nature and technology and “do-it-yourself” projects like paper-and-glue models either went bust or changed into “lifestyle” magazines with large chunks devoted to game and movie reviews.
      To reach this new generation, a completely new approach should be adopted, one that starts with rich web contents – exactly the opposite to what FIA is doing with its strict licensing policy.

15. Nick (@npf1) said on 28th December 2013, 3:31

Mine you, usually I’m more of the 80s pop music and very different genres, I liked the song. I doubt it cost him any more prep time than going to a exhibition of his own career, getting back surgery or doing a triathlon.

That being said, he needs to work on his lyrics. Not like I’d share the first lyrics I ever wrote, so props to that.

1 2 3