Hamilton makes debut as pop vocalist

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, Suzuka, 2013In the round-up: Lewis Hamilton appears as a vocalist on a track by American singer Ana Lou.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Hamilton on a different track as Mercedes star unleashes singing voice in pop debut (Daily Mail)

“[Hamilton] is featured singing lyrics such as ‘Why don’t you give love another try?’ ‘Baby, you should let me be the one’, and ‘I ‘aint nothing like those other guys.'”

Update: Hamilton has since denied it is him singing on the track.

Ferrari: group governance F1’s future (Autosport)

Luca di Montezemolo: “There is no question the young boys love cars and F1 less. One of the reasons, but not the only one, is that the races are becoming too complicated to follow.”

After ‘Rush’, F1 safety hits the screens (Reuters)

“A generation of drivers has now grown up that has never suffered the loss of one of their own at a racetrack, nor started a season wondering whose funeral they might be attending before the year was out.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

Will this year’s dominant car be venerated in the same way other great cars have?

I was looking at this video about the McLaren MP4-4, the most successful F1 car ever made. So many people writing down what a legacy it was, how good it drove and how fast it is. Wondering whether people will remember 2013 for the Red Bull RB9 and Sebastian Vettel dominance in the same way or whether it will always be ‘that boring season’.
Sam (@Ardenflo)

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Lazzar!

On this day in F1

Jim Clark put a seal on his domination of the 1963 championship 50 years ago today by winning the South African Grand Prix.

It was his seventh win in ten races, and in five of those he had led every lap. Dan Gurney was a minute behind in second and Jack Brabham a lapped third.

160 comments on Hamilton makes debut as pop vocalist

1. James (@jaymz) said on 28th December 2013, 7:19

Lewis being a pop artist just solidified my dislike for him.

He is the most uncool guy on the grid. Maybe even in the whole of F1. Ever.

2. Arki (@arki19) said on 28th December 2013, 9:01

Todays update possesses an interesting juxtaposition of what drivers do in their off time; Lewis Hamilton indulging his love of R&B whilst Valtteri Bottas is driving a computer simulated car.
    Whilst I am sure Lewis’ fame and fortune played some role in his ability to appear on this artists’ single (which, I have no doubt is not to my personal musical preference) l think it is a positive thing that he has a ‘life’ outside Formula One, even if his hobby/interests do seem remarkably self indulgent at times.
    Then we have a TwitPic of Valtteri Bottas doing ‘more of the same’. Is he a boring little tic or just extremely dedicated? The truth is probably a bit of both – not that that’s a bad thing. In motorsport I always hope/like to believe that the combatants are fully dedicated because they may indeed end up paying the ultimate price, as that doco featured in the Reuters article will testify to.
    (Did anyone spot the Monty Python ref?)

3. montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 28th December 2013, 9:28

I don’t understand what the COTD is trying to say. How can anyone compare 1988 with 2013? in 2013 Senna and Prost fought tooth in nail for the title in equal machinery 8 wins Vs 7 which also happened to be one of the best cars in human history. There’s really no comparison whatsoever. A valid comparison would be 1992. Everyone still remembers it as one of the dullest seasons ever, despite(again everyone’s) admiration of the Williams car

So, without a doubt even in 2035 we will remember how awful the 2013 season was, and we will also remember the RB9 as a super great car and SV as a great driver of that car. But nobody will ever forget the dullness of this season, sorry to disappoint you @ardenflo

• Sam (@) said on 28th December 2013, 12:47

Basically what I’m saying. For any non-McLaren fan, knowing the MP4 would swipe the victory away as easy as it is looked for SV to take those 9 in a row 1988 might have been an even duller season. Now we speak of legends like Prost and Senna because of those cars.

• Robbie said on 28th December 2013, 14:11

‘1988 might have been an even duller season’

But it wasn’t. It was, imho, exactly as F1 should be. Even if a team dominates, there should always be two gladiators on the team free to compete against each other. So while you pretty much got to expect a Mac to win, you didn’t know which one, so even with a dominant team you weren’t robbed of real racing in the pinnacle of racing. The polar opposite being MS/Ferrari where a decision was made in the boardroom to have MS’s teammates contracted to not compete and the result was a true snorefest and the viewing audience was robbed.

For whatever reason, SV/MW/RBR just didn’t carry the same feel with MW either not being WDC material in the end, or the car just never suiting him quite as well either by design or by accident, but in the end SV was not really pressured by him, during an era of fake DRS passing, and delta time running, which I blame just as much for a dull 2013 as SV having no real competition.

• montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 28th December 2013, 15:32

@ardenflo So you think that had this been a fantastic fight between Webber and Vettel for the championship in a RB9 other teams fans would still find it boring? Cannot agree with that view, since there’s no separation here between the “oh my team isn’t winning” and the “oh the racing is rubbish” views. The worst seasons are those who share both and 2013 falls into that category, and it’s so happened that because two of the greatest drivers ever were team-mates then 1988 doesn’t. Only Vettel fans could’ve enjoyed 2013, for purely partisan reasons.

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 28th December 2013, 14:24

@montreal95 well, it’s not Sebastian’s fault to beat Mark during all the seasons they were teammates. It’s impossible to ask a driver to be “worse” (except in Austria 2002 and Germany 2010), and it would be delusional to ask Mark to level-up his game, so it wasn’t Mark’s fault either. Maybe it’s RB fault who could have hired the second best driver available (Kimi? Romaiin?, we know Alonso is tied to Ferrari) but decided not to because they are WCC year after year with the SV / MW line-up?

• montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 28th December 2013, 15:41

@omarr-pepper Absolutely no blaming Seb for that. But that wasn’t the problem with COTD I was disputing. If I wasn’t clear enough I’m sorry. I was disputing the notion that you can compare 2013 with 1988. You can totally compare it to 1992. 1988, no way! Webber most definitely wasn’t Vettel’s Prost. I am a huge fan of MW but he was never on that level. 1988 is a bad example because of the unique situation when two drivers who are in almost everyone’s list of “greatest ever” ended up as team-mates.

4. craig-o (@craig-o) said on 28th December 2013, 9:40

So what if Lewis is deciding to become a popstar? I don’t give a monkey what he does off the track as long as he drives well on it.

He can do what he likes. I’d rather him do that rather than risk his limbs doing rallying over the winter.

• Sam (@) said on 28th December 2013, 10:00

Nobody cares what he does off-track. It is the fact that he let’s himself being influenced the most easyily and it shows in his racing.

• @ardenflo

Presumptuous fact of the day goes to…

In my mind, Hamilton had a great season, and drove very well for most of it. New team, developed for different drivers, and beat his teammate. If this was 2011 I would completely agree with you, but the last two seasons he has been on form, especially 2012 where the WDC was there for the taking but reliability issues cost him. I don’t think fans realise you can drive well without winning every race or making a tonne of overtakes.

• Sam (@) said on 28th December 2013, 12:56

I know but I also mean this in a positive way. If everything off-track is going well, he drives better too.

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 28th December 2013, 14:34

In my mind, Hamilton had a great season,

@timi in your mind maybe… he ended up 4th (thanks to Kimi’s surgery), so here it’s him year after year:
          2007: 2nd (really promising)
          2008: Champion (the youngest ever champion, he’ll be a multiple WDC and a legend)
          2009: 5th (maybe a bad year, he will bounce back)
          2010: 4th (you see? he started to recover)
          2011: 5th (Oh no, this is worrying)
          2012: 4th (and the 2nd WDC?)
          2013: “5th” (it has become a pattern)
          I really don’t understand why people keep considering Lewis on the same level of Vettel and Alonso, when clearly he hasn’t, I’m not saying he´s bad, he’s really good, but not superb anymore.

• @omarr-pepper Maybe “great” was an exaggeration, but you can’t say it wasn’t a good season. Having driven at one team his whole F1 career, made a move to a new team, got however many poles, and a win in his first season there. As well as beating his team mate who has been at the team for years.. I don’t get how you can look at that and say it isn’t good lol, that makes no sense at all.

My comment wasn’t a view of his career as a whole though, it was of this/last season (always confuses me how to refer to the latest season). But just taking a season’s results is naiive. I’ll do what you did, but with actual evaluation and not just the result, starting 2009.

09: Mclaren produced an awful car, not worthy of competing for wins until mid season. Brawn miles ahead, same with RBR 2nd half season.
            10: Refuelling banned, RBR had pole every race bar 2. If you look at the results that season, hamilton was very consistent. note: he came 4th yes, but there were 12 points between 2nd and 4th. [Oh no, horrible pattern forming right? lol].
            11: He lost his head haha. Not much more to add,- very bad season.
            12: Could have won the WDC,- retired from the lead 3 times.. blah blah, drove a v solid season.
            13: 4th, Mercedes lost a lot of ground in the second half of the season. But as I said beat his team mate in the first season at new team. Can’t complain.

And you’re just putting words in my mouth, I didn’t even compare him to Seb or Alonso! And I never said he was superb, you might have read someone else’s comment there buddy…

• It’s fair to say he is not quite on the level of Vettel, Alonso and Raikkonen just yet, but showed signs of being there in 2007 and for a few years after that.. perhaps he just needs things to come together. Along with Hulk (hard to say if he is better or worse, as his car is slower, but many place him 4th best this year and Lewis 5th, Rosberg 6th, Grosjean 7th and Button 8th) – so when Kimi, Button, Alonso and Massa retire, we’ll be into a battle between Vettel, Lewis, Hulk, Grosjean, the best upcoming drivers etc.

Lewis will still have a few years to be in that select top 3, but lets hope he hasn’t peaked already. He is starting to lose consistency as he gets older (which puts the elite drivers in that top 3).

5. andae23 (@andae23) said on 28th December 2013, 10:15

Regarding the documentary 1: I reckoned it would be a documentary that focuses mainly on the fatalities. And unfortunately my fear has come true. I am sick and tired of media looking back at the 1960s and 1970s and only picking out the fatalities. Of course there were a lot of drivers who died and of course this has to be acknowledged (which has been done excessively), but that period has so much more to offer than just that.

The thing that strikes me most about the 1960s are the heroic stories, made possible by a much simpler formula. Clark’s recovery from a lap down to almost win the 1967 Italian GP, Rindt winning the 1970 Monaco GP by overtaking Brabham in the final corner, Stewart with a V8 battling against the big V12 engines to finish second in the 1970 Italian GP.. I could go on for quite some time.

But the thing I like most about that period of time is the bond between drivers and their families: why isn’t there a documentary that depicts these friendships?

I’ll tell you why: because these documentary makers don’t give a monkey’s toss about the true meaning of F1 anno 1960, 1970. The shots of Purley trying to rescue Williamson are what makes people watch the documentary, so that’s what they’ll get. Why can’t there be someone with a genuine love of classic F1 that can paint the true picture of F1 back then?

• @andae23 Amen. I love the pictures of the GPDA meetings from those days; friends hanging out. Nowadays, they hardly even interact on the podium..

I guess tragedy sells more than camaraderie. I’d love to see someone like Joe Saward or Peter Windsor tackle a documentary on F1 in the 60s and 70s. Of course death will be an element, as you can’t talk to Jackie Stewart about Cevert without talking about the tragedy of his death; but I’m more interested in people like Ickx, Brabham, Hill, Stewart, Fittipaldi and F1 was like, than another shot of a burning wreck or the same talk about ‘the circuits were not as safe as they are now’.

6. karter22 (@karter22) said on 28th December 2013, 10:33

Wow, Nicole really did a number on Lewis! Now what?? Lewis out to form his own boy-band?? I am a bit disapointed in Lewis, it seems he has too many things on his mind. This might definitely be the reason for his inconsistency. He needs to prioritize!

On another note… One would think that with the money Bottas has, he could at least get the f1 steering wheel from thrustmaster! geeeez…

• “Lewis out to form his own boy-band?? I am a bit disapointed in Lewis, it seems he has too many things on his mind.”

Lol, what a load of horse ****.

You think F1 drivers have to think about driving at every moment of the day, even in the off-season? They are normal people with normal hobbies. All drivers have hobbies, its just the media don’t care about the other drivers hobbies and therefore you don’t hear about them.

Stop being a **** and let Lewis live his life, he knows how to go fast in a race car without it having to consume his day from the moment he opens his eyes to the moment he sleeps.

• Chris (@ukphillie) said on 28th December 2013, 16:48

Well Vettel seems to live and breathe F1 off track and keeps his distractions to a minimum.

So….It would appear that not only are you rude and aggressive, you are also wrong.

• LOL any proof perhaps? You have a handle on his day to day activities/hobbies?

• Again, what a load of horse ****.

You know Vettel has a girlfriend right? you think they don’t have a normal relationship where they go places? You think Vettel sits on his own 24 hours a day thinking about what rear third spring setting he needs? lol, you are proper delusional.

And I think if you actually do a bit of reading, you’ll see Vettel has plenty of hobbies outside of racing that keeps him occupied. As has every driver in history.

• I’m also dissapointed in Alonso for opening his own exhibition.

• G27 is alright, I have a G25. Not sure if others are better (e.g. Thrusty). The real question is, what sim/game was he driving!

7. Girts (@girts) said on 28th December 2013, 11:57

Rumour has it that Rosberg plans to respond with “Hit me Lewis one more time”.

• Robbie said on 28th December 2013, 14:37

Lol so you are suggesting LH was singing those lines to NR (aka Britney)?

‘Why don’t you give love another try, Nico, and stay behind again when ordered.’

‘Baby, you should let me be the number one.’

‘I ain’t nothing like those other guys, so don’t drop the soap.’

8. Chris (@ukphillie) said on 28th December 2013, 14:32

I remember when everyone hated Senna. Those old enough to have watched him can deny it all they like, but Senna was thought of exactly the same as Vettel when he was in his prime.

It winds me up when my fellow Brits or Europeans go on about how great Senna was, even though they were the one’s booing him and ripping on him ‘cos he destroyed their hero Mansell for the best part of a decade.
    Now they all love him, obsessed even, Senna is the Godwins Law of F1, any argument ends with ”Well Senna did this, Senna did that”

Well….I loved him in 1990 and I love him now, not a bandwagon jumper like 90% of the rest of you.

Same with Vettel, you’ll all jump on the bandwagon in 20 years and say how great he was and how it was one of the best era’s of F1 blah blah.

The RB9 and the MP4-4 are both classic, dominant cars that should go down in history. And Vettel is one of the greatest drivers in history.

I’ve just finished building the bandwagon….You can all jump on in 2030.

• OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 28th December 2013, 14:44

@ukphillie here in Latin America, and for sure in Japan, people worshiped Senna. but thanks for the update, I didn’t know Senna was hated in Europe back in the 90s.
      And I would be proud in 2030 to say I was Vettel’s fan before he got his first Red Bull car. It all started with his great performances in 2008, the year when I was disssapointed of Kimi. How great was Italy and Brazil for Seb that year!

• Chris (@ukphillie) said on 28th December 2013, 14:53

I have actually only became a Vettel fan this year, the only thing stopping me from cheering him on every race is my love for McLaren. Vettel at McLaren is my biggest dream.

Yeah in UK Senna was vilified almost every race. He was treat a lot worse than Vettel is now in fact. I can’t say for sure the rest of Europe had the same attitude but the French and Germans couldn’t have been massive fans with Prost and later Schumacher going up against him.

It just shows how time changes views. Vettel will be talked about in the same breath as Senna, Prost, Fangio, Clark….one day. I guarantee it.

• Robbie said on 28th December 2013, 23:17

For me, if we were to take SV’s career so far, the only context for putting him with Senna, Prost, Fangio, and Clark, would be in numbers, but certainly not in terms of race craft. And that’s an unfortunate side-effect of today’s F1 that is shamefully being forgotten. Race craft is being replaced with guaranteed DRS passing, and lottery tires that hopefully will at least be less lottery like for 2014.

Without the massive danger Fangio and Clark faced, and the massive competition physically and mentally on and off the track that Senna and Prost faced, SV’s experience has been tame, and that is said without trying to take away his 4 WDC’s. It’s just an inevitable fact.

• Baron (@baron) said on 30th December 2013, 12:50

What a load of rubbish…

• Chris (@ukphillie) said on 30th December 2013, 15:10

@Baron

Yeah, erm…..No.

As I said, deny it all you like, that’s how it was?

In denial or too young to remember? Either way you’re argument really was a thought provoker…Oh wait, no…It was a load of rubbish :)

• Baron (@baron) said on 30th December 2013, 21:18

Senna wasn’t particularly ‘vilified’ until he and Prost decided to completely ignore everyone else decide two world championships their way. Senna was a sore loser and bad sportsman; Prost was an equally poor loser but both men had undeniable talent behind the wheel of an F1 car. Todays’ pilots are far better team players and all round sportsmen than those two ever were. As good in the driving dept? Not hardly.

• Robbie said on 28th December 2013, 14:47

Nope. For me…loved Senna…and for now I will never consider SV as being able to stand in his shadow. Greatness is simply not something that can be achieved while being a passenger monitoring tire conditions and being told over the radio when you can compete, and don’t even get me started on DRS passes and how they shape a race even for passes that are not done using DRS.

If F1 continues their trends of late, there won’t be an entity called F1 before long, and so the only way people will look back at 2013 with admiration is that ‘at least back then they had F1, dumbed down as it was.’

9. f1anton said on 28th December 2013, 18:09

will 2038 be a season dominated by someone?
    2013- sebastian vettel 13/19 wins
    1988- mclaren 15/16 wins
    1963- jim clark 7/10 wins

ALL 25 apart…..

10. ed (@doombug11) said on 28th December 2013, 21:55

Um considering the fact they’ve now taken the song offline, gone after the youtube videos and deleted the dailyhatemail article, I’m going to have to presume that was a Demo or not something that was intended for release. It doesn’t sound like its been through final mastering to polish it off yet, the Auto-Tune is so obvious it’s on the verge of being used as an effect in its own right! It actually has the potential to be a good R&B song, generic tripe that I personally can’t stand but decent for what it is. Though one entire verse of Lew’s falsetto was pretty painful!!!

11. andrew345612 (@andrew345612) said on 29th December 2013, 4:44

It’s all a hoax, Lewis just posted this on his twitter
    “Hey all. Have just heard that someone has put a song out saying it’s me..LMAO I’ve never met this girl Ana nor heard of her. #***”

12. According to Lewis’ Twitter account that’s not him singing, nor has he heard of the girl who he’s supposedly dueting with…

13. given that none of this is TRUE w/r/t Hamilton, why doesn’t @keithcollatine CORRECT THE HEADLINE? If the Guardian can make a correction when it reports totally bogus information as fact, then why can’t this site????

14. karter22 (@karter22) said on 30th December 2013, 11:30

he should stick to racing