Schumacher in “critical” state after skiing accident

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, 2012In the round-up: Michael Schumacher is in critical condition after suffering head injuries in an accident while skiing in France.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Michael Schumacher undergoes tests after injuring head in skiing accident (The Guardian)

Grenoble hospital spokesman Jean-Marc Grenier: “Mr Schumacher was admitted to Grenoble hospital at 12.40pm following a skiing accident in Meribel towards the end of the morning. On his arrival, he was suffering from severe head trauma, with a coma, which required immediate neurosurgical intervention. He remains in a critical state.”

Force India ‘can break top five’ (Autosport)

Deputy team principal Bob Fernley: “If we have made the right decision on the powertrain, and we won’t know that until we start running, we have got to be looking at podiums and at least fifth place next year. That will be the target.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

More on Mike Beuttler from @Girts:

Thanks for mentioning Mike Beuttler, the only known gay driver in the history of F1.

I would like to add that Beuttler was a talented driver, who won several races in Formula Three and Formula Two against James Hunt and several other drivers, who would later go to F1. His nickname was ??Blocker? because he used to close the door on the overtaking driver.

Beuttler?s F1 career never really came off as he didn?t manage to score a point in his 28 grand prix appearances. His financial support came from several London stockbrokers so the 1973-74 stock market crash put an end to his career.
@Girts

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Journeyer, Naz3012, Rick and Liam Stroud!

On this day in F1

Mike Spence was born on this day in 1936. He gained swift promotion to F1 with Lotus in 1964 and some encouraging results including fourth in Mexico earned him a second year. After making more progress in 1965, and taking a podium finish again in Mexico, he was dropped in favour of the returning Peter Arundell.

He continued to race a Lotus in 1966 but driving for Reg Parnell instead of Colin Chapman meant he had to make do with an older 25 instead of the cutting-edge 33. He switched to BRM the following year but the results remained no better than fifth.

After Jim Clark’s death in 1968 Spence was welcomed back to Lotus. But he was struck by a wheel in a crash during practice for the Indianapolius 500 and died.

Image ?? Daimler/Hoch Zwei

154 comments on Schumacher in “critical” state after skiing accident

1. kbdavies (@kbdavies) said on 30th December 2013, 0:40

Skiing is an extremely dangerous pastime, and no matter how experienced you are, an unfortunate incident is only literally around the corner. The seeming “soft” snow hides rocks, boulders and ice extremely well.
    Just returned from a skiing trip in St Moritz, and a friend (experienced skier) fell on what seemed like powder snow and shattered his shoulder. He had to be airlifted of the mountain. I also got lost trying to get back to the ski lift to take me down the mountain. I eventually ended up walking all the way down the mountain in darkness and zero visibility fog; with sheer drops either side of me. It took me 2hrs and i was quite lucky to find my way down – It could easily have been a different story.
    There is also the issue of colliding with trees or other skiers – a very common occurrence and one with often disastrous consequences.
    Wearing a helmet on the slopes should be made compulsory. I wore one (as i was a learner), but didn’t see any experienced skiers wear them (Snow boarders tend to wear them more IMO).
    MSC should count himself lucky he was wearing one; it shows how safety conscious he must be, as it certainly isn’t the norm on the slopes!

• tmekt (@tmekt) said on 30th December 2013, 1:21

@kbdavies

A bit of an exaggeration. Skiing is nowhere near being “extremely” dangerous. If you have your gear properly set up, use helmet, know your skills AND ski only on the marked slopes you’re gonna be fine. Obviously, accidents happen but you can have just as severe injuries just from walking down the street and falling. However it’s a whole different story if you decide to leave the marked slopes as I understood Schumacher did.

Nevertheless, my thoughts and prayers are with the Schumacher family.

• kbdavies (@kbdavies) said on 30th December 2013, 9:32

Really? What would be the criteria of an “extremely dangerous” sport then? A risk of death? Severe head trauma? Broken limbs? Shattered cheekbones? All these injuries happen in skiing. And the point is most people do NOT use helmets, though their use has been mandated by the FIS since 2006.

2. Ben (@scuderia29) said on 30th December 2013, 1:10

Not sure where the Guardian get some of their f1 facts from, in the 2 articles concerning michael schumacher that i read, they called Massa an f1 champion, and said that schumacher returned to the sport in 2009 and covered for Felipe massa after his crash.

But this is a newspaper we’re talking about, what do they care about facts..

3. schooner (@schooner) said on 30th December 2013, 1:10

Some very conflicting reports on Schumacher’s condition out there at the moment. Surely there will be a more accurate update tomorrow, and hopefully it will bring us good news.

4. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 30th December 2013, 1:13

It was such shocking news and I am still quite taken aback from it. Let’s hope for some good news at 10am and he recovers from this incident.

5. Mark in Florida said on 30th December 2013, 1:17

Hated to hear the bad news about Michael Schumacher. It seems like a Greek tragedy .The hero who conquered all falls at the end of the story. I hope that he will pull through and make a full recovery. May God watch over him and his family.

6. d3v0 (@d3v0) said on 30th December 2013, 1:32

Praying for michael.

Great comedic placement of HAM’s off-topic tweet (prior to accident)

7. Best wishes to Schumi!

8. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 30th December 2013, 1:45

Gary Hartstein deserves a big thank-you here. I think he’s really done a lot to demistify the situation surrounding Schumacher. I’ve seen a lot of people across the wider internet who are working themselves into knots over the lack of information coming out of France, wanting to know why Schumacher was moved to another hospital, why there haven’t been regular updates, what the difference between serious and critical is, and so on and so forth. I think Hartstein has really gone a long way towards helping people understand what is happening, why certain decisions are being made, and what we can look forward to over the next few days,

• Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 30th December 2013, 8:27

@prisoner-monkeys Yes. So very yes. Press is all over him asking for interviews.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 30th December 2013, 8:32

@journeyer – It’s certainly been an education for me. I knew a little bit about the subject because my sister works in medicine and because I’ve had to take some pretty advanced first-aid courses for my job, but Hartstein has increased the depth of my knowledge considerably. And he does it in a way that utilises Twitter’s 140 character limit quite well – short and succinct.

• gregwtravels (@gregwtravels) said on 30th December 2013, 9:35

I agree completely. I found his stream last evening, and read his comments. It’s great to have someone commenting from a medical perspective, even if some of his comments must be hypothetical based on the little information he has.

9. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 30th December 2013, 1:56

I, along with so many of his fans and my fellow F1Fanatics, are tonight thinking only that Michael makes a full recovery, and my support and good wishes are with his friend and family through this ordeal, for what little those words mean.

He is my childhood idol, and although many would not see him as such, he was a role model for me growing up. I have taken a lot of strength from his dedication, passion and determination both on and off the track through my own life. I will probably never meet him, and he will never know that I exist. Yet, I am shaken from the news today. It’s funny (and illogical) how personally invested and attached we can get to such public figures. Yet here I am, and I know that I am not alone. I share in the anxiety of his many, many fans and the desperate hope that he will come through this to make a full recovery. My thoughts are with you, Schumi.

• Indranil Dudhane (@indranildudhane) said on 30th December 2013, 4:26

Exactly my thoughts..

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 30th December 2013, 5:21

@colossal-squid I, like you, was really taken aback by this news when I heard it this morning on the way to work. It really has hit me quite hard, even though I was never a fan of Michael’s, quite the opposite in fact. I started watching the sport in the early 90′s and after Senna’s death I switched my full allegiance to his team mate Damon Hill who was on the receiving end of Michael’s move at Adelaide. Michael turned into a sort of pantomime villain for me, but over the years my view of him changed. Though I’m still not a “fan”, I have massive respect for him, his abilities, and all that he has achieved and recall some of his most famous drives with great fondness, glad to have been able to have seen them. I remember catching myself smiling when he took “pole” at Monaco in 2012 and again when he took his podium at Valencia.

I really do hope he makes a full recovery.

• Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 30th December 2013, 13:23

@geemac That is a great view to have of him. I know that many only see him for his several unsporting incidents, but as with everything his career was not just black and white. Your comment shows that even for people that wouldn’t be his fans there is still a lot of goodwill and respect towards him and what he did in F1. I think it’s fair to say that almost every F1 fan will be touched by this news and hope as you do for a full recovery.

10. FI have been very solid, I remember hearing from Windsor, Scarbs and the FI designer who’s name I can’t recall and that man whom I didn’t get the name to stick was able to stick all the essence of his design and all the challenges he that were considering in the concept of the car into my mind, in short he sounded like he knew exactly what he had just designed. FI started the year well and to do it with a very sound budget year after year is no fluke there must be someone shining there and I hope this next season is the year where they can tie some of the other pieces together and make a further step up in a tricky next season but if there’s a solid team in this past years is FI…………..and RBR, FI grew fond on me. Schumi had an accident that’s bad that’s life good luck.

11. Mark in Florida said on 30th December 2013, 2:17

Keith don’t worry about the tweet from Lewis being in the same column as the news about Michael. It just seems frivolous that’s all. I pray for him and his family. Get well soon.

12. Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 30th December 2013, 2:43

This morning’s presscon will be crucial, as will the next 2-3 days, I think. We just need to hang tight. And pray for the best.

13. RAMBOII said on 30th December 2013, 3:02

Back in 1998, Schumacher was the one who got me in to F1. He was the one coming back at the almighty McLarens who nobody could beat. He was like a little, skinny boy fighting back at the big bully’s. Although, that’s how it seemed backed then. I remember thinking about him the evening before that titledecider, when he was on pole, he has to win, he deserves it, he will win, I know it. How dissapointed I was when he stalled. But he came back up in to third and I had high hopes again to eventually see him drop out with a puncture.

So came ’99. Nine years old I was.. Seeing Schumacher battle the mighty McLarens yet again, looking like he had a real chance for the championship that year, breaking his leg in Silverstone, what a dissapointment for me again. But he came back in Malaysia, and how. He might not have won in Japan nor did he win the championship for Irvine, but to be honest, as a kid, I didn’t mind that much, Schumacher was my hero.

In 2000 things finally seemed right. Schumacher pulled a 3 out of 3, had a healthy lead in the championship but then dropped out 4 times in a span of 5 races. I couldn’t believe it. I thought he was going to lose it again. But he came back, and how. He won the championship five times in a row and the little skinny guy was becoming the new bully.

Then came 2005 and 2006. Being 15 – 16 years old, I could handle the loss of 2005, I knew Schumacher would come back, he always did, didn’t he? It eventually took until halfway 2006, but he came back and was ready to win another world championship. He eventually got his part of bad luck in the final two races, but I didn’t mind. I thought the cycle was complete, or for me it was. He ended it for me, how it all started in 98, fighting the bully as the little skinny guy, losing, but not without a fight. I thought that was it. I lost my hero in F1 and could only root for Massa, knowing he was a good friend of Schumacher, so I did.

But, as he always did when I was a kid, in 2010, he came back. He didn’t win any races, let alone titles, but after 2010, he came back again. He might not have beaten his new bully, Rosberg, but he gave him a serious run for his money. And he came back again, on the podium in 2012 and even on pole position. I was overjoyed and although being 22, I felt like that kid of 8 years old, cheering when my hero won a race. This time, I knew it would be his last time in F1.

Now that he is gone, I don’t root for anyone. I still like Massa, but I didn’t have much to cheer for, the last couple of years. And then, all of the sudden, you read news like this.

All I can think of now.. Michael, come back once more. Like you did when I was a kid.. Cause hero’s don’t die at 45, they life happily ever after.

Best of luck fighting this one, my thoughts are with you and your family.

• mike-e (@mike-e) said on 30th December 2013, 4:28

For one thing, schumacher was a 2 time world champion bully in 98, fighting in a ferrari (dq from the previous championship for attempting to run villeneuve off the road) in what was the second best car the year before, against mclaren who in 97 were nowhere, hitting some form with newey and the rule change. They wernt the big mclarens, they were the underdog, not winning or coming close to since 1991. Schumacher was the bully, mika was the ‘skinny quiet kid’ as was hill in his fight against him from 94-96. Schumacher was always the bully.

For two, heros rarely live till they are old.

• mike-e (@mike-e) said on 30th December 2013, 4:34

I do just want to add that I do wish him to recover and hope he is in a good state for his kids. I wasn’t a fan of the decisions he made during his career, but that has no bearing on my compassion for a fellow human being.

• faulty (@faulty) said on 30th December 2013, 5:42

Agree wholeheartedly, never was a fan of his, but as much as he seemed to be an arrogant athlete, he has displayed a lot of kindness off the field. The charity football games and the Burkhard Cramer donation immediately come to mind.

It sucks that his son had to witness the incident. Get well soon, so I can get back to hating you, Schumacherface!

• David-A (@david-a) said on 30th December 2013, 5:45

And Ferrari hadn’t won since 1979. Hill, who you mentioned, was in the Williams that won dominantly in 1992 and 1993, the latter, he drove and won 3 races in. Schumacher was very much the underdog in the late 90′s when I started watching (1998), before becoming the dominant figure of the early 2000s.

Get well soon Michael.

• mike-e (@mike-e) said on 30th December 2013, 14:28

In 98 schumacher was runner up the previous season making him favorite for 98 after williams lost renault support. In 94 he was the underdog at the begining of the season, but once senna expired he was by far the favorite, especially with his traction control. Hill was the underdog taking over the challenge from his late and far superior team mate.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 31st December 2013, 0:23

Well, no. Mclaren arrived at the beginning of the 1998 season with the best car, having acquired the chief designer of the previous 2 years title winners. And while Hill wasn’t expected to have to lead Williams, they were still again, the double reigning constructors champions. And no “traction control” was ever proven.

• mike-e (@mike-e) said on 31st December 2013, 1:54

Ok it was never “proven” but charlie whiting was not satisfied the car complied with the rules at all times. Here is a link to the FIA report on “launch control” which in its self uses traction control.

• David-A (@david-a) said on 31st December 2013, 7:43

Well again, it wasn’t proven to have been used at any time, which effectively overrides the fact that Whiting wasn’t “satisfied”.

Anyway, the main point is that many, including RAMBOII and myself, saw Schumacher as the underdog against the Williams/Mclarens who won the drivers titles in 1992-1999 (except ’94-95), especially in 1996-98.

• RAMBOII said on 30th December 2013, 10:55

I was 8 years old when I watched my first seasons in F1, I had absolutely no idea how good Schumacher was before, maybe I didn’t make that clear enough.

14. matt90 (@matt90) said on 30th December 2013, 3:38

I could have sworn the BBC news coverage of Schumi said he was concious and seemed okay (in himself).

15. Gerry said on 30th December 2013, 3:41

Our prayers are with you Michael, get well soon!