Schumacher in “critical” state after skiing accident

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, 2012In the round-up: Michael Schumacher is in critical condition after suffering head injuries in an accident while skiing in France.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Michael Schumacher undergoes tests after injuring head in skiing accident (The Guardian)

Grenoble hospital spokesman Jean-Marc Grenier: “Mr Schumacher was admitted to Grenoble hospital at 12.40pm following a skiing accident in Meribel towards the end of the morning. On his arrival, he was suffering from severe head trauma, with a coma, which required immediate neurosurgical intervention. He remains in a critical state.”

Force India ‘can break top five’ (Autosport)

Deputy team principal Bob Fernley: “If we have made the right decision on the powertrain, and we won’t know that until we start running, we have got to be looking at podiums and at least fifth place next year. That will be the target.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

More on Mike Beuttler from @Girts:

Thanks for mentioning Mike Beuttler, the only known gay driver in the history of F1.

I would like to add that Beuttler was a talented driver, who won several races in Formula Three and Formula Two against James Hunt and several other drivers, who would later go to F1. His nickname was ??Blocker? because he used to close the door on the overtaking driver.

Beuttler?s F1 career never really came off as he didn?t manage to score a point in his 28 grand prix appearances. His financial support came from several London stockbrokers so the 1973-74 stock market crash put an end to his career.
@Girts

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Journeyer, Naz3012, Rick and Liam Stroud!

On this day in F1

Mike Spence was born on this day in 1936. He gained swift promotion to F1 with Lotus in 1964 and some encouraging results including fourth in Mexico earned him a second year. After making more progress in 1965, and taking a podium finish again in Mexico, he was dropped in favour of the returning Peter Arundell.

He continued to race a Lotus in 1966 but driving for Reg Parnell instead of Colin Chapman meant he had to make do with an older 25 instead of the cutting-edge 33. He switched to BRM the following year but the results remained no better than fifth.

After Jim Clark’s death in 1968 Spence was welcomed back to Lotus. But he was struck by a wheel in a crash during practice for the Indianapolius 500 and died.

Image ?? Daimler/Hoch Zwei

154 comments on Schumacher in “critical” state after skiing accident

1. Nick (@npf1) said on 30th December 2013, 3:55

I can’t sleep.

Though I’m 23 and living in my own apartment, there’s still posters of Schumacher around. In F1 2012, I do quick races as Schumacher all the time, because it makes me giggle like a schoolgirl to see the words: ‘Winner: Schumacher’ appear. He is the reason for all those early mornings and the most intense heartbreak I ever felt at Suzuka 1998. Suzuka 2000 was like a dream come true. 2002 and 2004 weren’t that amazing to watch, but whenever I see those statistics, I can’t help but think ‘that’s my hero’. Even during his comeback, his was the first name I looked up on free practice results or any other missed sessions. I cheered harder for his fastest lap in Monaco 2012 than I did for anything else Suzuka 2000.

I honestly have not felt this concerned about a person since my grandfather was dying 2 years ago. However, he was an old man and had made it clear he lost the will to fight. Michael, though I’ve never even seen him race in person, is such an enigma, an example of the human spirit.. I honestly don’t want that spirit to be lost, it’s not better to burn out than fade away.

I also can’t phantom how Corrina, Gina Maria or Mick must be feeling. After all these years of auto- and motorsport.. As someone above me said, it feels like a surreal Greek tragedy. When you’re young, you think your hero’s can’t get hurt, but now I’m thinking, surely, this can’t be it for Michael?

All we can hope for is good news in about 6 hours from now.

2. Nirmal ms (@nirmal-ms) said on 30th December 2013, 4:07

I love you Michael Schumacher,Michael Schumacher, please don’t sleep to much..u are not done yet with your passions..ur family n fans are waiting for you..,Keeping u in my prayers Michael, Get well soon Michael, I always liked how you said your family were the most important thing to you, far above all your success, so I hope you get well soon for your wife and children.,We all pray for Michael Schumacher’s speedy recovery..our thoughts with the legend and his family. i love you Schumi<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

3. dragoll (@dragoll) said on 30th December 2013, 4:17

I am deeply saddened by the news of Schumi’s accident.

I have always been a Schumacher fan since he appeared for Jordan at Spa in 1991, so it troubles me greatly that he in a coma and fighting for his life. These feelings are exactly the same as how I felt when Karl Wendlinger was put into an induced coma after a crash in Monaco coming out of the tunnel. I sincerely wish that Schumi can pull through this, just as Wendlinger did back then.

The saddest part of this, is that his birthday is around the corner, he will be 45 on the 3rd January. I hope to see him celebrate that milestone, plus many more years.

4. smokinjoe (@smokinjoe) said on 30th December 2013, 4:31

Very sad & I hope he gets better but what this accident does show is what a SAFE sport that F1 is. In a race car you can be flipped into the air then roll over and over and the driver gets out and walks away angry because he is out the race not in a coma fighting for his life. One of the best F1 drivers of wall time has a skiing accident and ends up in a coma with brain haemorrhage. The one that appears to be safer is actually the more dangerous.

5. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 30th December 2013, 4:50

Thinking of you and your family Michael, hoping for a speedy recovery.

6. schumacher has never been a driver whom i like very much (not at all), but he definetely is a legend, one of the best drivers ever and above all: a person, a father, a son, a husband. michael i hope you get well soon! all my thoughts go out to you for a fast recovery!!! you can make it!!!!

7. iAltair (@ialtair) said on 30th December 2013, 5:19

Almost a year ago in Abu Dhabi, he nearly got punned in his head by Adrian Sutil in his Force India on Lap 1 of a chaotic start to the race.

A year later, he fell and hit his head hard on a rock and suffered serious head injury. This year he was not spared.

Let’s all hope that our F1 Legend along with his spirit will pull through this!

8. Sohaib Ahmad (@sohebbasharat) said on 30th December 2013, 7:13

All my prayers go out for Michael. He was the first driver i liked when i started watching f1 and he will always be the number 1 for me. Hope he wins this race also like the countless ones he has won before….

9. Come on Michael, give us one of those race stints at pure qualifying pace to win through, like you used to. You can do it!!!
    – @MBrundleF1

10. andae23 (@andae23) said on 30th December 2013, 7:27

He continued to race a Lotus in 1966 but driving for Reg Parnell

I’m sorry for being nitpicky, but he either “drove for Reg Parnell Racing” or he “drove for Tim Parnell”. Reg Parnell passed away in 1964, after which his son Tim took over Reg Parnell Racing. For some reason he decided to leave the name as it was.

11. smudgersmith1 (@smudgersmith1) said on 30th December 2013, 7:45

Don’t think I have ever said this before…Come on Schumi ! thoughts and prayers with Michael.

12. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 30th December 2013, 7:52

Since I started following motorsports any fatalities hurt. You get emotionally attached to the men and women who race.

I was in aghast when I saw Marco Simoncelli succumb to his injuries. It left me emotionally shocked and took a few days to sink in. I can relate to what @colossal-squid is saying. I went to sleep last night feeling scared that next morning, I might hear the worst news and trust me, I cannot focus today as I still fear the worst.

Would be an utter shock to loose him so early and in this fashion. Can’t imagine what his family must be going through right now.

13. Alex Bkk (@alex-bkk) said on 30th December 2013, 7:59

I keep checking F1Fanatic expecting to read the worst. I’m so glad I haven’t and I hope I don’t have to.

To his family… Many here understand your feelings and pray not only for Michael, but for you.

14. Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 30th December 2013, 8:03

Let’s hope that (1 he recovers and (2 its a full recovery.

My thoughts to his family.

15. Pink Peril (@pink-peril) said on 30th December 2013, 8:39

My thoughts are with Schumi and his family. Fingers crossed that he comes through this none the worse for wear. Waiting for the press conference is going to be just agonising.