Schumacher remains in “very serious” condition in intensive care after accident

2013 F1 season

Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, 2012Michael Schumacher remains in an “extremely serious” condition following the head injuries he suffered while skiing in France yesterday.

Doctors at the Grenoble hospital where he is in intensive care said his situation remains critical. They added he “might not have come this far” had he not been wearing a helmet at the time of his crash.

The medical team have been working to reduce pressure on the brain from an intracranial hematoma. They confirmed he had a number of lesions on his brain when he was admitted to hospital yesterday but would not give further details on the extent of his injuries or the potential outcome of a recovery.

Contradicting earlier unconfirmed reports, the team said Schumacher has undergone one operation since admission and added they don’t currently plan to carry out a second.

Schumacher’s family are at his bedside as doctors continue to closely monitor his condition hour by hour.

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? Daimler/Hoch Zwei

84 comments on Schumacher remains in “very serious” condition in intensive care after accident

1. Win7Golf (@win7golf) said on 30th December 2013, 11:30

I never was a Schumacher fan, I always was pulling for the other guy, whoever he was, but I don’t wish him harm.

Just to say that, in my opinion, I always thought that skiing was more dangerous than actual Formula 1.

I would get inside a F1 car, but no one will never catch me skiing… Best wish for Michael and a Happy New 2014 for us all !

• Garns (@) said on 30th December 2013, 13:25

All my best to a man I hold in HIGH regard!!!

I hope and trust this ends ok, all the best Micheal!!

Please recover safe mate!!!

2. I didn’t have a particularly good night’s sleep due to the news, and I didn’t wake up to the brightest of it either.

But if Massa can make a full recovery, Schumacher can. I again join the flood of support for him at this time and wish he can get back to enjoying the spoils of his very successful career!

• Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 30th December 2013, 18:39

@vettel1
      Me too, i didn’t sleep at all since i have to wake up at 5.30 am to be at time in my new internship program (8 am), now i just returned home and the situation is still critical, yeah Massa has recovered and i hope Michael can do the same we have to keep always a positive mindset

3. McKenzie (@mckenzie) said on 30th December 2013, 11:50

Schumi has always impressed me with his commitment to his family. Schumi has donated millions to charity too, including $10 million in aid after the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami.

As @magnificent-geoffrey said, it is now a waiting game. Michael, a lot of us are waiting and praying at the same time. There is nothing else I can say expect fight hard as you have always done.

His family and friends must be in the worst place possible right now.

4. SeaHorse (@seahorse) said on 30th December 2013, 12:04

This has been a sad news for the fans of the legend, the fans of the sport and almost everyone who knows about Schumi. I sincerely hope that he recovers fully from this soon! Get well soon Schumi!

5. Nathan (@il-ferrarista) said on 30th December 2013, 12:07

Get well soon Champion <3

6. Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 30th December 2013, 12:26

Gary Hartstein’s thoughts on today’s presscon. It reassured him, and hopefully what he wrote will reassure us too: http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2013/12/30/the-monday-press-conference/

7. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 30th December 2013, 12:31

Schumacher was always a fighter and I really hope he can pull through and have a full recovery. Get well soon Schumi.

8. Mathers (@mathers) said on 30th December 2013, 13:07

Best wishes to Michael and his family, he was the first driver I knew of after I was born, and he has shown us over the years he has the strength to recover from this. We are all rooting for you Schumi, I hope you recover very soon.

9. Michael (@dedischado) said on 30th December 2013, 14:34

You just know that when this is all over he is going to demand an F1 car from Mercedes and take it around the Nurburgring in like 10 seconds or something, just to prove that he still can.

10. MarkM (@mpmark) said on 30th December 2013, 14:46

It goes to show that every day you live is very precious and anything can happen to anyone. I am deeply saddened by what has happened to Michael and wish him and his family the best! He is a fighter and if anyone can pull through it would be him, wishing for good news soon.

11. Steven (@steevkay) said on 30th December 2013, 14:50

I’ve been checking twitter and the news regularly for updates… I hope any forthcoming news is about him reaching a stable condition. I’ve been thinking of what to say, but I’m drawing a blank. I really hope we get some positive news, soon.

12. HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 30th December 2013, 14:53

MSC was an arch enemy for me on track, easily the most dislikable driver in the sport. But I don’t hope anything like this to happen to anybody. This is tragic and as depressing as it gets. Keep on fighting Michael, for once I am on your side!

13. Waking up (EST) I was dreading hearing any news at all, knowing how these head injuries can turn for the worst without warning. So glad there is a lack of more bad news and I hope things will improve quickly.

14. evered7 (@evered7) said on 30th December 2013, 15:01

Waiting for the biggest victory of his lifetime. Come on Schumi. Pull out a special one and win this race. You are too young to be spoken in past tense.

Please inspire us again like you have done all your career.

15. The most important race of his life, he MUST win!!