Schumacher remains in “very serious” condition in intensive care after accident

2013 F1 season

Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, 2012Michael Schumacher remains in an “extremely serious” condition following the head injuries he suffered while skiing in France yesterday.

Doctors at the Grenoble hospital where he is in intensive care said his situation remains critical. They added he “might not have come this far” had he not been wearing a helmet at the time of his crash.

The medical team have been working to reduce pressure on the brain from an intracranial hematoma. They confirmed he had a number of lesions on his brain when he was admitted to hospital yesterday but would not give further details on the extent of his injuries or the potential outcome of a recovery.

Contradicting earlier unconfirmed reports, the team said Schumacher has undergone one operation since admission and added they don’t currently plan to carry out a second.

Schumacher’s family are at his bedside as doctors continue to closely monitor his condition hour by hour.

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? Daimler/Hoch Zwei

84 comments on Schumacher remains in “very serious” condition in intensive care after accident

1. Journeyer (@journeyer) said on 30th December 2013, 12:26

Gary Hartstein’s thoughts on today’s presscon. It reassured him, and hopefully what he wrote will reassure us too: http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/2013/12/30/the-monday-press-conference/

2. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 30th December 2013, 12:31

Schumacher was always a fighter and I really hope he can pull through and have a full recovery. Get well soon Schumi.

3. Mathers (@mathers) said on 30th December 2013, 13:07

Best wishes to Michael and his family, he was the first driver I knew of after I was born, and he has shown us over the years he has the strength to recover from this. We are all rooting for you Schumi, I hope you recover very soon.

4. Michael (@dedischado) said on 30th December 2013, 14:34

You just know that when this is all over he is going to demand an F1 car from Mercedes and take it around the Nurburgring in like 10 seconds or something, just to prove that he still can.

5. MarkM (@mpmark) said on 30th December 2013, 14:46

It goes to show that every day you live is very precious and anything can happen to anyone. I am deeply saddened by what has happened to Michael and wish him and his family the best! He is a fighter and if anyone can pull through it would be him, wishing for good news soon.

6. Steven (@steevkay) said on 30th December 2013, 14:50

I’ve been checking twitter and the news regularly for updates… I hope any forthcoming news is about him reaching a stable condition. I’ve been thinking of what to say, but I’m drawing a blank. I really hope we get some positive news, soon.

7. HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 30th December 2013, 14:53

MSC was an arch enemy for me on track, easily the most dislikable driver in the sport. But I don’t hope anything like this to happen to anybody. This is tragic and as depressing as it gets. Keep on fighting Michael, for once I am on your side!

8. Waking up (EST) I was dreading hearing any news at all, knowing how these head injuries can turn for the worst without warning. So glad there is a lack of more bad news and I hope things will improve quickly.

9. evered7 (@evered7) said on 30th December 2013, 15:01

Waiting for the biggest victory of his lifetime. Come on Schumi. Pull out a special one and win this race. You are too young to be spoken in past tense.

Please inspire us again like you have done all your career.

10. The most important race of his life, he MUST win!!

11. Alex Bkk (@alex-bkk) said on 30th December 2013, 16:30

I didn’t want to read this and I’m not yet drunk enough to accept how bad it really is. Is it OK to cry on F1Fanatic cause I really feel bad…

• Prajesh said on 30th December 2013, 21:18

It’s ok to cry. I felt really close to crying to hear the seriousness of his condition and that he is fighting for his life.

12. Brian (@bealzbob) said on 30th December 2013, 17:04

Awful awful news. A freak injury that will hopefully not have tragic consequences. Another reminder; if we needed one; of how fragile life is.

Come on Schuey. Get through this. I had a cousin who got through this exact kind of injury unscathed so I know it can be done. It is a waiting game now. We need to let the swelling subside and hopefully there’ll be no lasting damage.

It goes without saying that thoughts are with him and his family :(

13. Sergey Martyn said on 30th December 2013, 17:31

I’m terribly sad to say the least.
    My best wishes and prayers to Michael.
    Look how safe F1 has became lately.
    Most of the serious injuries happen not on track but in skiing, cycling, rallying etc. incidents.

14. TMF (@tmf42) said on 30th December 2013, 17:31

He’s a fighter and I’m full of hope that he pulls thru. My thoughts are with him and his family, this really impacted my day so I can’t even begin to imagine what they’ve to go thru right now.

15. Jack (@jmc200) said on 30th December 2013, 17:46

I’ve been disappointed to see some fans start going on about Michael’s controversies as a driver, totally irrelevant at this time. Hell, I’m not a Schumacher fan, but I feel immensely sad for a 44 year old married man with kids. I hope he gets through this. A legend and a nice guy.

16. I know he is a fighter and that he will fight this one off, but my thoughts will still be with him in this perilous time. I wish his recovery will be as speedy as his exploits on a race track.

17. PMccarthy_is_a_legend (@pmccarthy_is_a_legend) said on 30th December 2013, 19:07

Thoughts and prayers with Michael and his family.

18. bad_whippet (@bad_whippet) said on 30th December 2013, 19:29

Pretty much reiterating what everyone had already said, but I’ll do it anyway…

C’mon Michael, you CAN do this, you can beat it!

Here’s hoping for the best New Year news possible.

#legend #fighter

19. Wesley (@wesley) said on 30th December 2013, 19:41

I was never a fan but,I have massive respect.Get well soon Schuey.

20. Shimks (@shimks) said on 30th December 2013, 19:51

Wir lieben dich, Schumi. Come on. Felipe did it. Robert did it. Come on, Michael, you can do it!

I’m so sad at this news. Lots of love and luck to his family.