Schumacher remains in “very serious” condition in intensive care after accident

2013 F1 season

Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, 2012Michael Schumacher remains in an “extremely serious” condition following the head injuries he suffered while skiing in France yesterday.

Doctors at the Grenoble hospital where he is in intensive care said his situation remains critical. They added he “might not have come this far” had he not been wearing a helmet at the time of his crash.

The medical team have been working to reduce pressure on the brain from an intracranial hematoma. They confirmed he had a number of lesions on his brain when he was admitted to hospital yesterday but would not give further details on the extent of his injuries or the potential outcome of a recovery.

Contradicting earlier unconfirmed reports, the team said Schumacher has undergone one operation since admission and added they don’t currently plan to carry out a second.

Schumacher’s family are at his bedside as doctors continue to closely monitor his condition hour by hour.

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? Daimler/Hoch Zwei

84 comments on Schumacher remains in “very serious” condition in intensive care after accident

1. When I first heard about it, I didn’t think it to be so serious. Now, after reading everything throughout the day, I’m hoping and willing for my childhood hero to pull through (writing this with a lump in my throat). Here’s hoping for better news about Schumi as we enter the new year.

2. DaveD (@daved) said on 30th December 2013, 20:37

I am soooo wishing the best to Michael and his friends and family. I went through something similar when my younger brother was in a car accident when we were kids. Waiting to see if he would wake from the coma and, just as bad, hoping he will fully recover after that is a terrible thing for everyone involved and a long road back for Michael.

I hope his situation turns out as well as it did for our family. But MSC is a fighter and any doctor will tell you that is more than half the battle. Get well Michael!

3. Sander V said on 30th December 2013, 20:59

I can’t find the words for this….. So i use the tweet of martin Brundle today, this says it all
    “Come on Michael, give us one of those race stints at pure qualifying pace to win through, like you used to. You can do it.”

4. Lord please, let this end well. .

5. andae23 (@andae23) said on 30th December 2013, 21:04

I admit, during his ‘first career’, I never liked his style. The two incidents in 1994 and 1997 merely showed that the championship is all that counts, whether he ‘deserved’ it or not. Hence I’ve never really connected with him. During his second career at Mercedes, he showed that he would still strive to be the best, but he could accept being second best, knowing that he had done everything about it. In my opinion, coming out of retirement was one of the best decisions he has ever made. I even cheered for him at Valencia in 2012.

There isn’t a lot of information to go by. I don’t wish to speculate on his condition or get involved in medic talk that is way over my head or use the (already over-used) metaphor about winning this final race. I just wish he makes a full recovery.

6. icemangrins (@icemangrins) said on 30th December 2013, 21:47

It is very emotional to read all the messages from the f1 fans immaterial of whether they supported Michael in the past or not. Thanks guys. He will get better.

7. Pink Peril (@pink-peril) said on 30th December 2013, 23:13

Very anxious time, I can only imagine how his poor family is feeling. Fingers crossed for a recovery soon.

8. Matthew (@f1matt) said on 31st December 2013, 0:06

I want Michael to be OK.

He was my first hero

I can’t eat or sleep.

I just want him to be OK

9. Shimks (@shimks) said on 31st December 2013, 10:24

Michael’s condition has improved slightly.