Schumacher remains in “very serious” condition in intensive care after accident

2013 F1 season

Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, 2012Michael Schumacher remains in an “extremely serious” condition following the head injuries he suffered while skiing in France yesterday.

Doctors at the Grenoble hospital where he is in intensive care said his situation remains critical. They added he “might not have come this far” had he not been wearing a helmet at the time of his crash.

The medical team have been working to reduce pressure on the brain from an intracranial hematoma. They confirmed he had a number of lesions on his brain when he was admitted to hospital yesterday but would not give further details on the extent of his injuries or the potential outcome of a recovery.

Contradicting earlier unconfirmed reports, the team said Schumacher has undergone one operation since admission and added they don’t currently plan to carry out a second.

Schumacher’s family are at his bedside as doctors continue to closely monitor his condition hour by hour.

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? Daimler/Hoch Zwei

84 comments on Schumacher remains in “very serious” condition in intensive care after accident

1. Alex Bkk (@alex-bkk) said on 30th December 2013, 16:30

I didn’t want to read this and I’m not yet drunk enough to accept how bad it really is. Is it OK to cry on F1Fanatic cause I really feel bad…

• Prajesh said on 30th December 2013, 21:18

It’s ok to cry. I felt really close to crying to hear the seriousness of his condition and that he is fighting for his life.

2. Brian (@bealzbob) said on 30th December 2013, 17:04

Awful awful news. A freak injury that will hopefully not have tragic consequences. Another reminder; if we needed one; of how fragile life is.

Come on Schuey. Get through this. I had a cousin who got through this exact kind of injury unscathed so I know it can be done. It is a waiting game now. We need to let the swelling subside and hopefully there’ll be no lasting damage.

It goes without saying that thoughts are with him and his family :(

3. Sergey Martyn said on 30th December 2013, 17:31

I’m terribly sad to say the least.
    My best wishes and prayers to Michael.
    Look how safe F1 has became lately.
    Most of the serious injuries happen not on track but in skiing, cycling, rallying etc. incidents.

4. TMF (@tmf42) said on 30th December 2013, 17:31

He’s a fighter and I’m full of hope that he pulls thru. My thoughts are with him and his family, this really impacted my day so I can’t even begin to imagine what they’ve to go thru right now.

5. Jack (@jmc200) said on 30th December 2013, 17:46

I’ve been disappointed to see some fans start going on about Michael’s controversies as a driver, totally irrelevant at this time. Hell, I’m not a Schumacher fan, but I feel immensely sad for a 44 year old married man with kids. I hope he gets through this. A legend and a nice guy.

6. I know he is a fighter and that he will fight this one off, but my thoughts will still be with him in this perilous time. I wish his recovery will be as speedy as his exploits on a race track.

7. PMccarthy_is_a_legend (@pmccarthy_is_a_legend) said on 30th December 2013, 19:07

Thoughts and prayers with Michael and his family.

8. bad_whippet (@bad_whippet) said on 30th December 2013, 19:29

Pretty much reiterating what everyone had already said, but I’ll do it anyway…

C’mon Michael, you CAN do this, you can beat it!

Here’s hoping for the best New Year news possible.

#legend #fighter

9. Wesley (@wesley) said on 30th December 2013, 19:41

I was never a fan but,I have massive respect.Get well soon Schuey.

10. Shimks (@shimks) said on 30th December 2013, 19:51

Wir lieben dich, Schumi. Come on. Felipe did it. Robert did it. Come on, Michael, you can do it!

I’m so sad at this news. Lots of love and luck to his family.

11. When I first heard about it, I didn’t think it to be so serious. Now, after reading everything throughout the day, I’m hoping and willing for my childhood hero to pull through (writing this with a lump in my throat). Here’s hoping for better news about Schumi as we enter the new year.

12. DaveD (@daved) said on 30th December 2013, 20:37

I am soooo wishing the best to Michael and his friends and family. I went through something similar when my younger brother was in a car accident when we were kids. Waiting to see if he would wake from the coma and, just as bad, hoping he will fully recover after that is a terrible thing for everyone involved and a long road back for Michael.

I hope his situation turns out as well as it did for our family. But MSC is a fighter and any doctor will tell you that is more than half the battle. Get well Michael!

13. Sander V said on 30th December 2013, 20:59

I can’t find the words for this….. So i use the tweet of martin Brundle today, this says it all
    “Come on Michael, give us one of those race stints at pure qualifying pace to win through, like you used to. You can do it.”

14. Lord please, let this end well. .

15. andae23 (@andae23) said on 30th December 2013, 21:04

I admit, during his ‘first career’, I never liked his style. The two incidents in 1994 and 1997 merely showed that the championship is all that counts, whether he ‘deserved’ it or not. Hence I’ve never really connected with him. During his second career at Mercedes, he showed that he would still strive to be the best, but he could accept being second best, knowing that he had done everything about it. In my opinion, coming out of retirement was one of the best decisions he has ever made. I even cheered for him at Valencia in 2012.

There isn’t a lot of information to go by. I don’t wish to speculate on his condition or get involved in medic talk that is way over my head or use the (already over-used) metaphor about winning this final race. I just wish he makes a full recovery.