Schumacher’s condition “slightly improved” after second operation

2013 F1 season

Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, Hockenheimring, 2012Doctors treating Michael Schumacher at a hospital in Grenoble say his condition has improved following a second operation on his head injuries last night.

Schumacher underwent a two-hour procedure at 10pm last night to evacuate a hematoma on the left-hand side of his brain. Surgeons took advantage of a “window of opportunity” to operate on the hematoma, one of several he incurred in a skiing accident on Sunday.

Doctors said the operation was possible because the hematoma was in accessible location and presenting minimal risk. A scan following the operation showed a slight improvement in Schumacher’s condition compared to yesterday and no further worsening of the initial lesions.

However doctors cautioned Schumacher is still in a critical condition and is not yet out of danger. He remains in an artificial coma with multiple lesions on his brain, which are smaller in size than the one operated on yesterday, and are being monitored hour-by-hour.

Schumacher’s family remain at his bedside and were consulted prior to his second operation yesterday, which was performed with their consent.

The medical team said the extent of Schumacher’s injuries showed he suffered an “extremely hard… very violent” impact during his accident.

They advised further updates will be given only when there is a change in Schumacher’s condition.

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?? Daimler/Hoch Zwei

48 comments on Schumacher’s condition “slightly improved” after second operation

1. Steven (@steevkay) said on 31st December 2013, 15:53

Glad to see it’s positive news, still saddened that it’s not as big an improvement as I was hoping for. Slow, steady improvements are okay, though, as long as we get MSC back. Definitely in my thoughts nearly all day, hopefully we’ll see more positive news shortly.

2. Mclarengal (@mclarengal) said on 31st December 2013, 17:37

I sincerely hope that he makes a full recovery. He is a legend and I am grateful for being able to watch him race over the last 21 years (give or take), both on TV and in person. Thinking and praying for Michael’s recovery and for his family at this horrible time.

3. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 31st December 2013, 19:12

Forza Shumi, i’m pretty confident that he is flat out now fighting the race of his life which i hope he will win like the other 91 wins , Shumacher the man who inspired millions of fans and brought them to the sport and i’m proud that i’m one of them, believe me back in the early 00’s in my country Tunisia i remember my friends and many other people watching every GP just to watch Michael, they knew nothing about F1 and they still don’t know anything about F1 but what stole their attention was Michael, a bit of relief to hear that he is improving
    Forza Shumi !!!!!!!!

4. I think all of these articles should be linked to the appropriate posts by Gary Hartstein. In this case, tuesday-press-conference-take-1.

I’m pretty sure he’s been linked to in previous articles but I think it deserves a constant reminder.

5. Pink Peril (@pink-peril) said on 31st December 2013, 20:10

Some good news at least. I hope that famous fighting spirit hasn’t been damaged by the accident.

6. Paul (@frankjaeger) said on 31st December 2013, 21:00

I really hope you pull through Schumi! Hang in there bud

7. dragoll (@dragoll) said on 31st December 2013, 21:56

My thoughts are with Schumi and his family as I celebrate the New Year. There are so many touching comments by everyone on this site and around the world, it is great to see the F1 community pull for an ex-champion.

8. Stefan (@dingowild) said on 1st January 2014, 4:49

you shrugged off the hysterical hatred of the british media which twisted every one of your words when you couldn’t yet speak engl. just because you made their damon hill look like a driver with a learner’s permit. you were unlucky to inherit ayrton senna when he couldn’t keep up with you anymore. now it’s the ultimate battle for u schumi. if anyone can get through the worst, it’s you! hoping that this time all are supporting you!

9. Laine Baker (@bainelaker) said on 1st January 2014, 9:12

Good to hear any good news on Schumi. I lost my dad on Monday in a car accident in Italy, and any good news is something right now. :(