Schumacher’s condition “slightly improved” after second operation

2013 F1 season

Michael Schumacher, Mercedes, Hockenheimring, 2012Doctors treating Michael Schumacher at a hospital in Grenoble say his condition has improved following a second operation on his head injuries last night.

Schumacher underwent a two-hour procedure at 10pm last night to evacuate a hematoma on the left-hand side of his brain. Surgeons took advantage of a “window of opportunity” to operate on the hematoma, one of several he incurred in a skiing accident on Sunday.

Doctors said the operation was possible because the hematoma was in accessible location and presenting minimal risk. A scan following the operation showed a slight improvement in Schumacher’s condition compared to yesterday and no further worsening of the initial lesions.

However doctors cautioned Schumacher is still in a critical condition and is not yet out of danger. He remains in an artificial coma with multiple lesions on his brain, which are smaller in size than the one operated on yesterday, and are being monitored hour-by-hour.

Schumacher’s family remain at his bedside and were consulted prior to his second operation yesterday, which was performed with their consent.

The medical team said the extent of Schumacher’s injuries showed he suffered an “extremely hard… very violent” impact during his accident.

They advised further updates will be given only when there is a change in Schumacher’s condition.

2013 F1 season

Browse all 2013 F1 season articles

Image ?é?® Daimler/Hoch Zwei

48 comments on Schumacher’s condition “slightly improved” after second operation

1. Sean Doyle (@spdoyle17) said on 31st December 2013, 12:56

1) It’s a bit unnerving to think someone’s condition can improve yet still be classified as in “critical” condition. Methinks the medical staff had considered classifying MSC as “grave” on Sunday, and held back out of respect of the stir it would cause and the inevitable extra stress that stir would cause for his family. If that’s the case, I respect that staff even more for their efforts this week. If not, well, I don’t mind admitting being wrong.

2) The reporter who attempted to enter the operating room disguised as a priest needs a lifetime ban from any FIA-sanctioned or even FIA-related events. Zero exceptions, full stop, done.

3) Ok Michael, you had to start from the pitlane, but you’ve passed some backmarkers. This is France, and if you can win anywhere, it’s here. Go get 92, it’s a long race, we’re all behind you.

• kimrogue (@kimrogue) said on 31st December 2013, 13:07

Great way to put it!

• McKenzie (@mckenzie) said on 31st December 2013, 21:19

Agree 100% @spdoyle17. That maggot might have been trying to grab images to sell to the highest bidder.

What he tried to do wasn’t journalism; it was an attempt to violate someone’s privacy at a time of tragedy. These sort of people are beneath contempt.

2. kimrogue (@kimrogue) said on 31st December 2013, 13:21

I am really happy to hear this news. Hope this trend continues. My two cents on Michael, to my generation (I’m 30 now) he ‘was’ F1. I knew him before I knew the sport. So, in a way you can say that he was even bigger than the sport. Having said that, I never could warm up to him for obvious reasons. But, it all changed when he came back with Mercedes. It was like he had spent his sabbatical in Tibet. He was a totally different person. He was much more human, not because he was getting beaten, but because he was – genuine. I can’t think of a better word. Schumi ’91-’06 won championships, Schumi ’10-’12 won my heart. Watching this now….it got a little dusty in the room.

3. JCost (@jcost) said on 31st December 2013, 14:09

Michael Schumacher is my F1 hero. I was born in the Portuguese speaking country Angola where I grew up until I left to spend 10 years in Portugal. Back in early 1990s when I started watching F1, Senna, from another sister Portuguese speaking nation was the boy to sheer for, but not in my case, I liked Senna but my fave was Nigel Mansell, his skills were undeniable and back then I did not know much about F1 to understand the superiority of Newey designed FW14 in 1992, my hero was crushing the opposition all due to his ability, period. Then Mansell left F1 and I was in need of new hero and he showed up in style, young Schumacher was an obvious choice for me, fast and ultra competitive giving F1 god Ayrton Senna a hard time won me over. After two WDC with Benetton those years of drought at Ferrari did not kill my hope, then Schumi and the team of Ross Brawn, Todt and Byrne created a well oiled machine that almost killed the sport due to their ego destructive dominance, but for me all those “boring” Sundays were days of pure joy because Michael Schumacher was winning and I hope he wins this much tougher race too.

Happy new year sisters and brothers. I’m sure the first days of 2014 will be much better than the last days of 2013. #fingerscrossed

• Stefan (@dingowild) said on 1st January 2014, 6:07

feliz ano novo, happy new year 2014 to you too, friend. the battles schumi had getting performances out of the no-hope soap box ferrari of his time (especially his incredible win at barçelona in 1996 as “rain god”) will hopefully give him that tiny extra edge to get out of this ultimate challenge.

4. ferrox glideh (@ferrox-glideh) said on 31st December 2013, 14:10

If anyone can use their force of will to survive such an injury, it is Michael Schumacher. His determination and physical fitness will work in his favour, and I feel that he will make it. All we can do is wait and hope for the best. Thanks to f1fanatic, we also have a dignified place to comment on this difficult situation.

5. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 31st December 2013, 14:25

Thankfully some good news from Grenoble. I know he isn’t out of danger yet, that’s been made crystal clear, but let’s hope his situation keeps improving.

6. Steven (@steevkay) said on 31st December 2013, 15:53

Glad to see it’s positive news, still saddened that it’s not as big an improvement as I was hoping for. Slow, steady improvements are okay, though, as long as we get MSC back. Definitely in my thoughts nearly all day, hopefully we’ll see more positive news shortly.

7. Mclarengal (@mclarengal) said on 31st December 2013, 17:37

I sincerely hope that he makes a full recovery. He is a legend and I am grateful for being able to watch him race over the last 21 years (give or take), both on TV and in person. Thinking and praying for Michael’s recovery and for his family at this horrible time.

8. Tifoso1989 (@tifoso1989) said on 31st December 2013, 19:12

Forza Shumi, i’m pretty confident that he is flat out now fighting the race of his life which i hope he will win like the other 91 wins , Shumacher the man who inspired millions of fans and brought them to the sport and i’m proud that i’m one of them, believe me back in the early 00′s in my country Tunisia i remember my friends and many other people watching every GP just to watch Michael, they knew nothing about F1 and they still don’t know anything about F1 but what stole their attention was Michael, a bit of relief to hear that he is improving
    Forza Shumi !!!!!!!!

9. I think all of these articles should be linked to the appropriate posts by Gary Hartstein. In this case, tuesday-press-conference-take-1.

I’m pretty sure he’s been linked to in previous articles but I think it deserves a constant reminder.

10. Pink Peril (@pink-peril) said on 31st December 2013, 20:10

Some good news at least. I hope that famous fighting spirit hasn’t been damaged by the accident.

11. Paul (@frankjaeger) said on 31st December 2013, 21:00

I really hope you pull through Schumi! Hang in there bud

12. dragoll (@dragoll) said on 31st December 2013, 21:56

My thoughts are with Schumi and his family as I celebrate the New Year. There are so many touching comments by everyone on this site and around the world, it is great to see the F1 community pull for an ex-champion.

13. Stefan (@dingowild) said on 1st January 2014, 4:49

you shrugged off the hysterical hatred of the british media which twisted every one of your words when you couldn’t yet speak engl. just because you made their damon hill look like a driver with a learner’s permit. you were unlucky to inherit ayrton senna when he couldn’t keep up with you anymore. now it’s the ultimate battle for u schumi. if anyone can get through the worst, it’s you! hoping that this time all are supporting you!

14. Laine Baker (@bainelaker) said on 1st January 2014, 9:12

Good to hear any good news on Schumi. I lost my dad on Monday in a car accident in Italy, and any good news is something right now. :(