Raikkonen and Alonso “could be dangerous” together

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari, 2007In the round-up: Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo admits putting Kimi Raikkonen and Fernando Alonso together in the same team could create problems.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Ferrari will keep Raikkonen busy (Reuters)

“Putting together Alonso and Raikkonen could be dangerous. But in Formula One… everything is potential danger.”

Adrian Newey: “We stand to lose the most again” ?ǣ New F1 season just 73 days away (James Allen on F1)

“We?ve probably done a better job than our competitors in developing the best use of the exhaust position from the current restriction, so unfortunately we stand to lose the most again.”

Michael Schumacher’s continuing ‘stable’ condition is hailed as ‘good news’

Schumacher’s spokesperson Sabine Kehm: “It is good news. I don’t want to go into further prospects as it is too early. He is still in an artificial coma.”

Michael Schumacher’s agent describes moment journalist dressed as priest found by security – video (The Guardian)

“Sabine Kehm, Michael Schumacher’s PR agent, tells reporters how a journalist dressed as a priest was found in the former F1 star’s hospital room.”

Lewis Hamilton posts skiing photos just days after Michael Schumacher crash (The Express)

“Lewis Hamilton has angered the online community after posting photographs of him skiing just days after Michael Schumacher was left in a coma because of an accident on the slopes.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

@F199player reckons one particular rules change helped make F1 cars more reliable.

That graph on reliability really shows how much parc ferme increased reliability from 2003 onwards.
@F199player

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Regis and T3X!

On this day in F1

Happy birthday to Beppe Gabbiani, who turns 57 today.

Gabbiani’s career was a classic case of ‘too much, too soon’. After a decent showing in F2 he hurried into F1 with Surtees in 1978, but failed to qualify on his two appearances.

He returned to Formula Two but was soon back in F1 again, this time with Osella. He contested the first half of the 1981 season and his nine appearances yielded six non-qualifications, two accidents and one engine failure.

Back in F2 he had a strong year in 1983 but missed out on the championship again and never returned to F1.

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

59 comments on Raikkonen and Alonso “could be dangerous” together

1. BJ (@beejis60) said on 2nd January 2014, 0:56

So is no one in the world is allowed to post skiing pictures until March or something?

• aka_robyn said on 2nd January 2014, 1:05

I keep hearing about all this anger over those photos, but I haven’t actually seen any myself! (And I’m on Twitter constantly.) I guess I’m just not associating with the same fans…

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 2nd January 2014, 1:08

I suspect the newspaper in question had to go looking to find the “anger”.

• Sam (@) said on 2nd January 2014, 8:15

Same, I follow half the drivers and plenty more F1 sites but haven’t seen those pictures somehow.

• JCost (@jcost) said on 2nd January 2014, 16:26

@ardenflo
          I saw it on Instagram (Lewis feed) and Facebook. I don’t have any reason to believe he had any bad intention, actually he did post similar pictures before Schuamcher’s accident.

Part of the anger was because Lewis was not wearing a helmet while skiing and he did post one or two more pictures yesterday, but this time with a helmet on.

• I think that just adds to the stupidity of people getting angry. If Hamilton has gone skiing, then where would Lewis Hamilton fans expect to find pictures of him doing it? On his Facebook page!

• Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 2nd January 2014, 21:39

I guess we are in some different Internet than those supposedly angered by Hamilton’s photos.

• Strontium (@strontium) said on 2nd January 2014, 1:41

Apparently so…

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 2nd January 2014, 7:29

@beejis60 – I, for one, am outraged that the Russians are organising skiing events at the same venue that will host a Grand Prix so soon after Schumacher’s accident.

• phildick (@phildick) said on 2nd January 2014, 10:52

Uff, I’m lucky that my skiing holiday is at the end of February ;)

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 2nd January 2014, 14:20

The point obviously gets slightly missed that the only people being disrespectful are the press who are pretending that this is a huge deal and are using Schumacher’s injury to sell papers.

No-one cares what holiday photos Hamilton puts on Twitter and no-one would have seen them and decided it had anything to do with Schumacher. To try and create something like this out of what is still a very worrying situation is disgusting and a thousand times more disrespectful than what they are claiming Hamilton has done.

Obviously they aren’t going to write a story about themselves though.

• That’s a shame.

@F199player

Good point.

2. JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 2nd January 2014, 1:03

When I first saw Lewis’ pictures, I didn’t even think of any sort of link between that and Schumacher, and I’m amazed that some people did.

I have to echo Keith’s sentiments – some people clearly just relish the opportunity to have a proper whine about certain people.

3. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 2nd January 2014, 1:12

Maybe I’m reading too much into Luca’s comments, but I do recall an article from a few months ago that said he favoured Nico Hulkenberg for the seat, but Stefano Domenicali lobbied for Raikkonen and won. I get the feeling Luca is trying to flex his muscles a little.

Honestly, I think it’s a bad partnership, and I think history will remember Raikkonen and/or Donenicali as losing a lot if it does not end well.

• Breno (@austus) said on 3rd January 2014, 0:04

There wasnt exactly anywhere else for Raikkonen to go to. RB declined him, Mclaren didnt seem like an option, Lotus’ finances were pathetic. He could have gone to a smaller team, in the hopes they pull a Brawn, but that would be a bullet in the dark.

• Kimi4WDC said on 4th January 2014, 2:57

Hearing from Webber’s interview couple weeks ago, Raikkonen did not agree to Red Bull’s terms.

4. faulty (@faulty) said on 2nd January 2014, 1:14

Ok, so The Express gets Teh Block®.

Thanks for the heads up @keith.

5. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 2nd January 2014, 1:21

The Express.co.uk should be ashamed of themselves. As should anyone else who was supposedly “angered” by Lewis’s photos.

Man I hate humans sometimes.

6. mrjlr93 (@mrjlr93) said on 2nd January 2014, 1:23

The photos that Lewis posted are from Christmas day and where uploaded to his instagram account first then twitter a few days latter.

7. HoHum (@hohum) said on 2nd January 2014, 1:48

In another tweet, Lewis thanks Nico for the extra ski tickets he sent as a NYE present.

8. Funkyf1 (@funkyf1) said on 2nd January 2014, 1:54

Adrian Newey makes a good point, but I think Domenicali should be the worried man. The expectations at Ferrari will be as high if not higher this year, there is no longer any room for excuses at Ferrari.

• dragoll (@dragoll) said on 2nd January 2014, 2:55

@funkyf1 I think its funny, every year Ferrari place these “expectations” on themselves, and as you rightly point out, they only up the stakes each year… There are only 2 possible outcomes for Domenicali at this point, either produce a championship (either WDC or WCC) or don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

• Nick (@npf1) said on 2nd January 2014, 11:51

Domenicali has been under threat from internet speculation since 2010 and he’s still there. As long as he doesn’t lose championships in the style McLaren did in 2012, he’ll be fine.

• Optimaximal (@optimaximal) said on 2nd January 2014, 12:45

To be honest, nobody from McLaren seems to have been shown the door either. You’ve got to be on a perpetually downward trend like Williams before big names (i.e. Team Principals, Tech Directors) get thrown out these days.

9. Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 2nd January 2014, 3:02

Montezemolo keeps contradicting himself with what he says.

10. Mike (@mike) said on 2nd January 2014, 3:05

I think you’re about spot on about the Lewis thing Keith. Make no mistake. Massive Schumacher fan and I hope with everything I have that he comes out of this….

But, I dunno. Someone went skiing. It’s not that crazy a thing to do.

It’s nice that for the most part (I’m guilty) you’ve got a really sane community here.

11. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 2nd January 2014, 5:39

“…so unfortunately we stand to lose the most again.”

Let’s not forget that Red Bull gained the most from the last set of regulation changes in 2009, so its swings and roundabouts Adrian.

• Sam (@) said on 2nd January 2014, 8:22

One might say they gained a whole lot, and now gradually they are taking it away because in the end Bernie and others like Vettel but RB not so much.

• Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 2nd January 2014, 8:42

I think people are warming to Vettel more, but I think RB are becoming the most hated team in F1.

• ME4ME (@me4me) said on 2nd January 2014, 10:19

Redbull cannot be the most hated team in F1. Not as long Torro-Rosso is around, lol.

But seriously.. Im aware they’re not the most populair, but it’s not like they are hated either. Apparantly they trow the best paddock party’s, free of charge and open for other team’s members to join. Also they have some likeable people at the top (with the possible exeption of mr H.Marko). I very much enjoy the human side of Redbull, something that is far less existent at say.. Mclaren, in my oppinion.

12. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 2nd January 2014, 6:45

I don’t understand why people are lashing out at Hamilton for going skiing. He missed the Bahrain Pirelli test because he was in the middle of his high altitude training programme, and for as long as I can remember F1 drivers have used skiing (cross country mostly which seems to be what he is doing) as part of their winter preparations. He would have had this in his schedule for ages, so I don’t think he should be critisied for it just because of the unfortunate events that have unfolded in the last few days. In his pictures he is wearing protective gear and seems to be proficient out there (I’ve never skied, so I can’t comment on his skill level). If he wasn’t wearing protective gear, then criticise, but he is.

13. Karthik Mohan said on 2nd January 2014, 6:52

Completely agree with Keith! Even Nico Rosberg posted pictures of him skiing and it was hardly even noticed! Some people would just take about anything to take a dig at Lewis! Getting real tired of this!

14. Lewis’ photos are of cross country skiing, a very different sport to downhill skiing.
    A helmet is certainly not needed as it generally takes place on the flat with no real assistance from gravity.

15. Sam (@) said on 2nd January 2014, 8:20

This is what I want for 2014:

Lewis and Vettel going for the title both winning a proper amount of races. Who wins doesn’t matter.
    Meanwhile RAI and ALO manage to rack up the podiums with the occasional win to win the constructors. Together with the above we see Grosjean taking his maiden win in Bahrein, Ricciardo in China. The Force India is good enough for Hülkenberg to be in the top 4 on several occasions as Perez proves he is no total idiot with some good drives but really is int he shadow of his teammate. Magnussen meanwhile manages to take his first win in Hungary and possibly a second one later in the season. Button on the other hand struggles with the new engines and retires towards the end of the season to be replaced by Vandoorne (Yes I’m a belgian). Williams is not yet in form but manages to be a regular top 10 finisher with some top 5s for both drivers. Sauber is nowhere as they both lack in talent and a fast car. Caterham and Marussia share 19th-22th positions but there is no clear favourite for 10th position untill Brazil.