Ferrari plan birthday tribute for Schumacher

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Michael Schumacher, Ferrari, Monaco, 2013In the round-up: Ferrari plan a tribute for Michael Schumacher who remains in an artificial coma on his 45th birthday.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Motor racing-Ferrari fans plan red vigil for Schumacher (Reuters)

“Ferrari fans will hold a silent 45th birthday tribute to Michael Schumacher outside his French hospital on Friday with the seven times Formula One world champion in a coma and fighting for his life after a skiing accident.”

Michael Schumacher’s manager to be interviewed about skiing accident (The Guardian)

“French investigators examining the exact cause of Formula One former champion Michael Schumacher’s skiing accident intend to interview the driver’s manager over the coming days, according to the lead prosecutor.”

Schumacher remains stable but critical in hospital (The Telegraph)

“The German racing great remained in an induced coma and a critical condition, with his wife Corinna, 16-year-old daughter Gina-Maria and 14-year-old son Mick at his bedside in the French Alpine city of Grenoble.”

Magnussen: I can emulate Hamilton (Autosport)

“He [Hamilton] had great success at McLaren arriving there as a rookie and it is definitely possible to do.”

Happy New Year – Five things to look forward to in 2014 (F1)

“Double points in Abu Dhabi… Whether you love or loathe the idea, it?s impossible to believe that there won?t be an additional intensity to the racing at Yas Marina and that can only be a good thing.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

To the ten things we want to know about the 2014 season, @Roodda adds an eleventh:

Another thing we would like to know is how long will F1 continue with DRS?

The purists know it should be on borrowed time, but so many clowns are in decision making positions that I am quite worried we will have another year of gimme overtakes.
@Roodda

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Ajokay and Coefficient!

On this day in F1

Today is Michael Schumacher’s birthday. The seven-times world champion turns 45, and I’m sure all F1 Fanatic readers will join me in wishing him a swift and full recovery from his recent skiing accident.

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

51 comments on Ferrari plan birthday tribute for Schumacher

1. dragoll (@dragoll) said on 3rd January 2014, 9:07

I wish all the best to Michael Schumacher on his Birthday today. I think of him daily and wish him some of the luck he had in his F1 career.

2. Has there been any comment from Ralf about Michael’s accident? I haven’t seen any mention of him in the reports which seems a little strange, although I don’t think they have been all that close for some years now.

• Marciare_o_Marcire (@marciare-o-marcire) said on 3rd January 2014, 14:00

I read somewhere that he showed up at the hospital on Michael’s birthday.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 3rd January 2014, 14:51

I think its perfectly normal that we do not see comments specifically from Michaels brother, father, mother, wife, son, daughter JSC.
      I am sure that his family are in close contact with each other, visiting him as far as possible and staying together, but they give out “statements from the family” instead of all having to go and post things on social media, talk to printed media and TV/radio separately

3. Rockie (@rockie) said on 3rd January 2014, 13:28

All the best Michael get well soon champ stay strong keep fighting!

4. AlokIn (@) said on 3rd January 2014, 14:39

Happy B’day Michael. I pray for the quick recovery.

5. Garns (@) said on 3rd January 2014, 15:29

All the best to The Schu on his 45th birthday, thoughts with his wife and kids and a ‘speedy recovery’ to him.
    My brother-in-law had a small heart attack today (only 42) but doing well and ok, and we had a REAL bad day so only imagine how the Schumachers are feeling in comparison- all positive thoughts to them!!!

There have been a few articles on Michael ‘The Robot’ (but I did think they go paid to do that job) but I would like to share the humane side of The Shumi that I saw.

My wife and I were in Suzuka on the Saturday before Q1 in 2012 and waiting for the drivers and there are only a few people waiting (5-20) but one lady was in a wheel chair, her friend asked The Schmui to come say hello and a photo and he was excellent- “Of course I can”!! He spent a few minutes, had a few photos’ and was quite the gent!! Normally when a 7 time champ is around people jump on it, but on this occasion the crowd stayed back and gave much respect for the moment!!

I liked the Shumi in the the past 3 years the best but it was only when Nico was as fast as Lewis in this year they realised how fast the old fella still was the 3 years before!!

6. falken (@falken) said on 3rd January 2014, 19:27

Oh for gawds sake – it’s no like the man is dead !

7. Why is the accident being investigated?

8. Wesley (@wesley) said on 3rd January 2014, 23:24

Happy Birthday Michael and get well soon!

Can you imagine being Schumi and waking up to see all those people outside the hospital supporting you?

9. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 4th January 2014, 0:35

I believe that double-points finales can be good for Formula 1.

I believe that they can be a catalyst for change.

I believe that they can make the teams realise that they have gone too far in emphasising style over substance.

I believe that they can make the governing bodies realise that they have been relying on temporary solutions to fix problems for too long.

I believe that they can make the fans realise that they need to do more than get angry in order to bring about change; for far too long, the fans have been upset with the rule changes and demanded something new, but have given no indication of what might fix the problem and have gotten upset with the response, starting the cycle anew.

I believe that the spokesman had something else in mind when he said it would be good for Formula 1.

10. LosD (@losd) said on 4th January 2014, 11:48

According to Danish media, the surgeon Gerard Saillant has now told Schumacher’s friend Philippe Strief that he is no longer in danger of dying, but that his condition remains serious.

http://politiken.dk/sport/ECE2174167/kirurg-har-talt-schumacher-overlever/ (danish)