Lotus will not have new car ready for first test

2014 F1 season

Romain Grosjean, Lotus, Jerez, 2012Lotus will not have their 2014 car ready for the first test of the year at Jerez.

With the first test of 2014 due to being three weeks from tomorrow, Lotus have become the first team to confirm their new contender will not be ready in time.

“We?re going to keep our car under wraps a little longer than some other teams,” said technical director Nick Chester. “We?ve decided that attending the Jerez test isn?t ideal for our build and development programme.”

Chester added the team intends to have the E22 ready for the second test of 2014 which begins on February 19th. “We are likely to unveil the car before attending the Bahrain tests,” he said, “and in Bahrain we should really be able to put the car through its paces in representative conditions”.

The new car is yet to pass all of the FIA’s mandatory crash tests, Chester added.

“We?ve made very good progress with the various homologation tests which took place before Christmas including chassis squeeze and side impact loading tests as well as the rear crash structure, meaning we just have the nose test to complete the car?s homologation.”

“We?ve undertaken chassis fits for Romain [Grosjean] and Pastor [Maldonado]. Certainly, our partners who have seen the car have reported themselves to be very impressed with the layout and various solutions to the new technical challenges.”

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?? Lotus/LAT

69 comments on Lotus will not have new car ready for first test

1. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 6th January 2014, 19:59

This isn’t surprising in the slightest. Of all the teams they were definitely the most likely to miss this one. They haven’t even signed an engine deal yet.
    I don’t think Marussia will be there either. I’ll say Caterham will because I’m sure they had a crash test done last month.

2. For the first time I can remember I read this and realised I don’t care about pre season testing. No excitement whatsoever. Bit depressing really.

3. obviously said on 6th January 2014, 20:43

This is depressing. The team that won a race and collected a whole bunch of podiums, finished 4th in the standings and now can’t even afford to finance an extremely important test.

4. haha that previous comment made it seems I have a severe short term memory problem. It should read – ‘I read this and for the first time in years of watching F1 realised I don’t care about pre season testing’

5. My guess is it will be a warm Spain this year…

6. Gilles V said on 6th January 2014, 21:39

I could go wrong. but if they could`nt pay Kimi. they must be short on money

7. HoHum (@hohum) said on 6th January 2014, 22:05

I would like to have a laugh at this PR spin and the inevitable failure of the Qantum confinancing, but this is a tragedy unfolding in front of our eyes.

8. tmax (@tmax) said on 6th January 2014, 22:11

Prima facie Nico Hulkenburg was lucky to have moved to Force India and So is Kimi…. Again only time can tell. I could be wrong. Lotus could come back. Last year red bull were not ready till the second test and we all know how that worked out :) Of course needless to say the Brawn GP only did one test in 2009 !!!!

9. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 6th January 2014, 22:20

(so far) Hulkenberg 1 – Maldonado 0
    So maybe Hulk made the right move after all.

10. ME4ME (@me4me) said on 6th January 2014, 22:32

I expect this to be due to the car not being ready for technical reasons, rather than financial. Lotus has money issues, but they are not broke. That means, in worse case they should be able to make and race a car, but then simply fall back in the development race as time goes, and possibly need to cut down on personal. But as far as i’ve read here, that hasn’t happened yet. As for missing the first test, Ross Brawn already said it a long time ago, it’s no good to miss that test this year

11. Ben (@scuderia29) said on 6th January 2014, 22:53

im sure its far too early to say, but maybe force india was the better move for hulkenberg after all .
    missing the first test is a huge deal in my opinion. No team would want to miss the first test

12. SauberS1 (@saubers1) said on 6th January 2014, 23:25

I think Lotus have some problems…

13. Hairs (@hairs) said on 6th January 2014, 23:57

It would seem other teams still aren’t learning from Red Bull:

Take time to understand what’s going on. Don’t flail about making changes for the sake of it. Take every opportunity, every benefit given, and exploit it as much as you can. Everyone was bitten by tyres last year and teams who got their car to work with them benefited. This year, engines and cooling need to be tested. A lot. Reliability will be everything.

And here are teams throwing away opportunities to test that reliability, and their packaging…. is it all down to money?

14. bwells88 said on 7th January 2014, 1:34

I do believe some teams had control of their tires last year until they changed them, Lotus bring one of them… If they stayed close to the front maybe their money issues might not of been as bad.
    Definitely be tough to make up that test!

15. GeorgeTuk (@georgetuk) said on 7th January 2014, 10:38

Really worrying news for them, no crash test done, no car (even a test bed of last years), no testing.

Not a good start and not a good sign for the start of the year.