Marussia confirm Chilton for 2014

2014 F1 season

Max Chilton, Graeme Lowdon, Marussia, 2014Max Chilton will continue to drive for Marussia in 2014, the team has confirmed.

Chilton’s name appeared on the entry list revealed by the FIA yesterday and the team has now officially announced Chilton will remain with them for a second year.

“You learn such a lot in your debut season, but the second year is when you can really pull all of those new experiences together and show your true potential,” said Chilton. “That has always been the case for me in the junior categories and I?ll be aiming for a similar step in my second year of F1 competition.”

Marussia will retain the same driver line-up as it had last year, following Jules Bianchi’s rehiring in October.

Team principal John Booth said: “In view of next year?s regulation changes, continuity is key, so it is highly beneficial to our technical team that we retain the same driver line-up moving forward.”

“Max had an impressive debut season last year and, of course, achieved a new rookie record for finishing all 19 races. He can be justifiably proud of the progress he made through the course of 2013. With our race driver line-up complete we can now focus all of our attentions on our 2014 car and moving the Marussia F1 team to the next level.”

See the updated list of 2014 F1 drivers and teams

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?? LAT

110 comments on Marussia confirm Chilton for 2014

1. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 11th January 2014, 13:13

Such a heart-warming tale of triumph.

If people still don’t believe that anyone can achieve anything, take a look at this man right here. Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside…

2. KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 11th January 2014, 13:22

While Chilton was definitely one of the worst drivers of 2013, this continuity should be a good thing. If Caterham switches both their drivers, Marussia could end up ahead again in the standings, especially if the results are once again decided by one lucky finish early in the season: experienced drivers should be able to capitalise on such opportunities better than rookies still trying to get familiar with the car and the team.

• Karthikeyan (@ridiculous) said on 11th January 2014, 13:36

He can continue to be the worst, nobody can beat that

• George (@george) said on 11th January 2014, 15:03

@kaiie
      I dont know, I think Caterham basically didn’t spend anything on last year to concentrate fully on this year, so that would explain how Marussia beat them. I expect they’ll hire at least one exciting driver for this season.

• SeaHorse (@seahorse) said on 11th January 2014, 17:33

@george I don’t think they dint spend much on last season. Dint they bring an upgrade package which pushed them ahead of Marussia as the season progressed?

• Jeanrien (@jeanrien) said on 12th January 2014, 17:31

They both decided to do very little work on their 2013 package to stay alive for this year and allowing themselves to develop a bit.
          And I had the same feeling than you, Marussia almost did nothing while Caterham brought an upgrade putting them ahead for the second half of the season which worried Marussia quite a lot apparently.

3. Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 11th January 2014, 13:24

“you can really pull all of those new experiences together and show your true potential”

You have none Chilton. Go Home.

4. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 11th January 2014, 13:33

How disappointing.
    I’m not against teams hiring pay drivers as they are often needed and they are usually decent drivers at worst, but the likes of Chilton just degrade F1 and that is frustrating.

5. Paul (@frankjaeger) said on 11th January 2014, 13:36

Give him 1 more year, if he fails to pull something out the bag, CHOP HHHHHHIIIIIIMMMM!

6. Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 11th January 2014, 13:42

What I hate is that the British press make him out like he is brilliant.

• Chris (@ukphillie) said on 11th January 2014, 14:05

No they don’t. That’s not true at all.

they have an obsession with JB and don’t seem to like Hamilton, but Chilton is so inconsequential he never gets a mention.

• Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 11th January 2014, 14:25

@ukphille

I see him being mentioned all the time!

• Chris (@ukphillie) said on 11th January 2014, 14:34

Ok then, maybe you read different stuff to me.

As far as I can tell in the publications, websites and shows I watch, he might as well not exist.

Sky try and feature him more than anyone cares to see him, thats about as much exposure as I see him get.

• wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 11th January 2014, 14:32

@ukphillie Actually, they do, and it’s a running gig among F1 fans as to how the British press fawns over Chilton. I can think back to Croftie, who mentioned that Chilton finished all the 19 races last year so many times that I lost count.

• Chris (@ukphillie) said on 11th January 2014, 14:37

Yeah, I would agree if you replace the words ‘British Press’ with ‘Sky’

Sky do seem to have a little twinkle in their eye for Max, but I’m sure the Indian Press featured Narain Karthikeyan a lot, and he was no better.

• jre_f1 (@jre_f1) said on 11th January 2014, 14:49

Karthikeyan was awful. Chandhok was good though.

• wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 11th January 2014, 15:28

@ukphillie It’s funny you should say India, but evidently, you know where I live..:)
            Yeah, Karthikeyan is featured a lot, and the Indian press did tend to focus on his wet-weather racing ability and his few good races with Jordan. But it was more to do with the pride of having an Indian driving an F1 car in the Indian GP etc., rather than raising him to the skies. Unlike Britain, India isn’t the home of motorsport, so we like to see the country venturing into things it isn’t renowned for. It’s different from Britain, which is the most-represented country in F1.

• yes they do, you only have to watch bbc f1 brazil 2013 forum. they went to the maurrasia garage and praised max for getting 10th place in constructors because of finishing every race, they failed to mention that it was bianci who got them 10th and the fact that bianci smashed chilton.

• George (@george) said on 11th January 2014, 15:05

I think they’re so embarrassed they just ignore the bad points and focus on the one good thing he’s managed.

• Keith Collantine (@keithcollantine) said on 11th January 2014, 16:38

@full-throttle-f1 (and @force-maikel below) I never know what to make of comments like this as they’ve obviously been posted here and while I suspect you’re not referring to F1 Fanatic (for example, because you may have read this) you haven’t said who you are referring to.

• wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 11th January 2014, 17:37

@keithcollantine I’m sure they aren’t referring to you Keith, you weren’t showing any particular leanings towards Chilton. This site is fair and I’m sure they know that too.

• Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 14th January 2014, 18:46

@keithcollantine My appologies for the late response Keith. I was certainly not referring to you, I was targeting the bigger British media like BBC of Sky (not that F1Fantic is small). The only reason I post here on F1 fanatic is because this is one of the most objective media websites out there concerning F1. I have nothing but the highest respect for the way you bring us the news, sure nobody is perfect but you come very close to being a 100% objective reporter!

• In_Silico (@insilico) said on 11th January 2014, 17:06

@full-throttle-f1 Like all the drivers in F1, he’s a really nice guy. So that somewhat explains why he’s admired by the british press. And his driving is nowhere near as bad or as slow as people make it out to be. After all, he does bring with him some financial backing which definately helps Marussia and at the same time, he does a solid job. Yes, maybe there are some drivers who perhaps would do a better job if they were in the same seat as him. But I find it amazing how people say he is absolutely rubbish.. after all, could any of us even come close to driving an F1 car as well as he does? Of course not. He, like a huge number of professional racing drivers have sacrificed and done so much in regard to training, fitness, practice etc. and this is overlooked a lot of the time by many. So please people, lay off on the extreme bashing and criticism.

7. Ciaran (@ciaran) said on 11th January 2014, 13:50

Absolutely ridiculous criticism of Chilton as usual from people. Marussia have nothing to gain by getting a driver a few tenths faster, since they’d be finishing 20th-22nd anyways, so getting a driver that keeps them financially afloat is perfectly fine. From the way people talk about him you’d swear he’s the next Jean-Denis Deletraz or something…

8. Dave (@raceprouk) said on 11th January 2014, 13:57

In other news, water confirmed to be wet.

9. AndrewT (@andrewt) said on 11th January 2014, 14:02

I’m a bit like surprised. Virgin/Marussia never gave its “another driver” a second season. di Grassi, d’Ambrosio and Pic had to leave after their first and only season, they only retained their leader driver Glock and now Bianchi. Chiltons argument that his second year will be “it” can easily cost him his seat I believe, as long as he won’t be able to perform well. And to be honest, we don’t really know how good he is, as he drove basically invisible. The only comparison could be his teammate Bianchi, but that’s also a bit tricky as the Frenchman had plenty of experience in F1 cars before. Let’s just hope that Marussia will be able to deal with the back of the midfield and both their drivers can show what they really capable of.

10. ME4ME (@me4me) said on 11th January 2014, 14:18

People seem overly negativ about this announcement. I can fully understand why Marrusia hired Chilton for another year. The money he and his familiy bring, are worth more than a tenth or two on track. Marrusia needs to thing about their financial position, rather than being to eager to go fast. A good car is worth more in this case. Besides, Chilton was rubbish at the start of 2013, but in the end he was closer to Bianchi.

• @me4me – thank you for your very fair, rational comment. it’s a pleasure to read reality-based comments such as yours, rather than the typical anti-Chilton, anti-reality braying.

• Kimi4WDC said on 13th January 2014, 0:00

No they dont need to stabilize anything. If they can’t compete they should just cease as a team and as result drop the F1 public value, instead of inflating the bubble F1 already is.

No one should be subsidized for be kept in F1. I’m all for fair distribution of F1 profits but team must be competent, not really on pay-drivers to keep operating. This is why we end up in this situation now, teams dont have brains or brain power to actually find marketing opportunities.

11. Girts (@girts) said on 11th January 2014, 14:24

It will be interesting to see if Chilton can challenge Bianchi now and then as the second half of the 2013 season wasn’t actually that bad for him. Still, I believe that there is more than one driver left outside, who would deserve this seat more.

12. I guess he will run the number 0

13. jre_f1 (@jre_f1) said on 11th January 2014, 14:51

Zero would be cool!

14. wsrgo (@wsrgo) said on 11th January 2014, 14:53

Pretty expected, but unlike the Gutierrez announcement, I’m a lot more disappointed. At least Gutierrez went up against a driver who was more experienced and is hailed as the next big thing. Chilton went up against a fellow rookie, a driver who has been exceedingly fast in junior formulae, but has been prone to mistakes under pressure. The net result was almost the same…
    Chilton was undeniably the slowest driver in the field last year. It’s pretty obvious that there are two reasons of taking Chilton. The first one is the financial reason, and it does seem that despite the loss of Aon, Chilton’s financial consortium is still strong.
    The second one is continuity, coupled with the lack of feasible choices. There aren’t many drivers in junior formulae who have the power of both money and sponsors, alongwith a strong dose of talent. Nasr fits the bill only to some extent, his 2013 season proved, if anything, that he is still far from a finished product. OGX filing for bankruptcy has not helped his financial side either. From last year’s GP2 field, Calado has talent, but RSF are not strong by themselves to bring a driver into F1. Leimer is reasonable, but not great, and his backing is limited. Bird is probably F1-ready, but at 27, is getting on and one wonders he has reached or is approaching his peak, He has little funding, apart from the scanty support he gets from Merc. In WSR, Vandoorne is talented, and given an F1 chance in 2014, wouldn’t’ve struggled, but I think he’s better off with another year of junior series to make him a complete, consistent machine that Magnussen was this year. Nobody else is really ready or has funding and talent or both. So, I can understand that Marussia want to be going with Chilton.
    What I cannot agree with, though is the fact that taking anybody else would not have been able to make much of a difference. Next year, we are entering an era of unpredictability and unreliability. There is, thus far, nothing concrete that the Ferrari turbo will be poorer compared to their rivals. Marussia might find themselves in a pointscoring position. New changes being new opportunities, and their is no use sinking to cynicism, that the team will NEVER break their duck. They might be in a position to do so next year, and the odds for have never been heavier. And that is where the difference between a Chilton and say, a Calado might come to the fore.
    Continuity, in my opinion is overrated. We have rookies saying their job next year will be easier since the rule changes will be a new thing for experienced drivers, and that might be an opportunity for them to prosper. That’s a stark contradiction to continuity. Either way, the decision is probably largely down to ‘$’ and that Marussia had more on their mind than spending much thought on whom to take alongside Bianchi.

15. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 11th January 2014, 15:02

It was to expected I guess but some of the British media really need to turn down a bit on the protectionism. Max Chilton was neither fast nor will he ever be. The only reason he is still at Marussia is the money he brings, which is apparently more than the others that were up for the seat.

It is disapointing because there are other drivers out there (even if they are pay drivers) that deserve a chance, for instance Fabio Leimer, it seems like he will not be getting into F1, not even as a reserve or test driver, that means that F1 is either most definitely stocking it’s seats up with pay drivers or that GP2 is seriously losing its status as a feeder series.