John Button, father of Jenson, dies aged 70

2014 F1 season

John Button, Jenson Button, Interlagos, 2009John Button, father of 2009 world champion Jenson, has died at the age of 70.

Button competed in rallycross events in the seventies before turning his attention to his son’s racing ambitions. He set up a company to build karting engines while Jenson began his ascent of the motor racing ladder.

The younger Button had only been out of karts for two years when he was able to tell his father “Dad, I’m a Formula One driver,” after gaining a surprise promotion to the top flight with Williams.

John Button remained at his son’s side through the highs and lows of his F1 career which culminated in his 2009 world championship triumph and subsequent move to McLaren.

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh joined many Formula One figures paying tribute to him: “In my long Formula One career, I’ve encountered many drivers’ fathers, but I think it’s safe to say that John was perhaps more devoted to his son than any of them.”

“Ever since Jenson was a boy, racing go-karts, his dad has been at his side, helping him, supporting him, finding the money for the next race.”

“As Jenson grew older, and continued to win in cars, still John was always there, his most steadfast helper and supporter.”

“He was not only a great dad, but also a lovely man, and he’ll be enormously missed by Jenson, of course, by all at McLaren, and indeed by the Formula One community at large,” added Whitmarsh.

“I’m sure that everyone at McLaren, and indeed everyone in Formula One, will join me in sending our heartfelt condolences to Jenson, to the Button family, and to their many friends.”

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?é?® Brawn

54 comments on John Button, father of Jenson, dies aged 70

1 2 3 4
  1. Nick (@npf1) said on 13th January 2014, 17:28

Very sad to hear this. John Button always seemed like one of the most honest people on the paddock and there was something very heartwarming to see him at so many races, supporting his son.

RIP John. My thoughts are with Jenson and his family..

2. Deeply saddened. Our thoughts go out to Jenson and all of his family.

3. Tayyib (@m0nzaman) said on 13th January 2014, 17:35

All thoughts with JB and the rest of the Button family. Will miss the pink shirt and the quality interviews. He was a great character in the F1 circus and will be missed. January seems to be a month for bad news.

RIP John Button

4. Mach1 (@mach1) said on 13th January 2014, 17:37

Very sad. What a shock to see that headline….out of the blue;

RIP John…..

5. Mike (@mike) said on 13th January 2014, 17:40

Well said Martin. I feel so sorry for Jenson, I don’t think words could describe what he is going through.

You could see how proud he was. An honest, good man. R.I.P.

6. Jimbo Hull (@kartingjimbo) said on 13th January 2014, 17:41

Very sad news. Going to miss this guy’s witty remarks and lavish pink shirts in the paddock. You would never see anyone else supporting their lad at races like this man. Worked hard and played hard, just like JB. RIP John.

7. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 13th January 2014, 17:41

Very sad news, I loved how positive and supportive this man was. A true father, missed only one race during his sons career. Keep on smiling down on us from up there John!

RIP John Button (1943-2014)

8. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 13th January 2014, 17:44

Why must F1 insist upon maintaining this glut of shocking and very sad news.

John was the definitive racing dad, supportive and enthusiastic, and one of the members of Jenson’s inner circle to which Jenson owes so much of his excellent performances in recent years to. Combine the humour and cool head of John with the support of a girlfriend like Jessica, and Jenson found himself with a framework that even Hamilton spent most of 2011 envying.

John, we will miss your humour, pink attire, ever present charm, sharp wit and calm head from the paddock. Rest in peace dear chap.

9. As a fan, I would see Mr John Button at few F1 races in the McLaren hospitality area. So i dont know how much he will be missed in F1 but I understand this is really a sad news for Jenson and his family. Reports on how he helped with Jenson’s career is really inspirational. Hope Jenson recovers from this. Its a sad loss for him. One vivid memory I have of Mr Button is the excitement he had when Jenson overtook Vettel in the last lap in the 2011 Canadian Grand Prix. I could see his joy at that moment..well, now i know why he ll be missed in F1. RIP John Button.

10. Mashiat (@) said on 13th January 2014, 17:59

R.I.P John Button. I remember seeing him for the first time in the 2006 Australian GP when Jenson got his second ever pole and led one lap with a Honda. It is sad to see someone well known who you see so often in the television pass away like this. All the best to Jenson and hope that he and his family can recover well and good luck to Jenson for this yeear. I’m sure John Button would have loved to see Jenson win another world title.

11. LexBlair (@lexblair) said on 13th January 2014, 18:02

This is honestly heartbreaking. So sudden. He always seemed so fit, never did I suspect anything of his ailing health. He was perhaps one of the most(if not the most) prominent fathers in F1, always there, supporting Jenson along the way….Who could ever forget the way he broke out in tears whenever Jenson crossed the finish-line first, the Union Jack wrapped steadily around his shoulders. Such a gentle and loving man, who also raised one hell of a son(If I may say so) and knowing how close Jenson has been to his father. It is honestly gut-wrenching. Bless his soul. May he rest in peace. Praying for the whole family.

12. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 13th January 2014, 18:04

What horrible news to read. The F1 paddock will be much poorer for his absence.

Sympathies with the entire Button family.

13. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 13th January 2014, 18:05

This is really saddening news. John Button seemed like such a really emotional, charismatic character, so it’s easy to see where Jenson gets it from. They always looked so close. My thoughts are of course with family and friends.

14. celeste (@celeste) said on 13th January 2014, 18:07

RIP. My thoughts are with Jenson and his family.

15. Broke84 (@broke84) said on 13th January 2014, 18:08

Sad news indeed. condolences to JB and family!

1 2 3 4