Ferrari to reveal car on January 25th after fan vote

2014 F1 season

Ferrari F138 launch, 2013Ferrari is putting the choice of what to call its 2014 F1 contender to a public vote.

Fans can choose from a selection of five different names listed on Ferrari’s official website.

The options available are F14 T, F14 Maranello, F14 Scuderia, F166 Turbo and F616. A winner will be chosen on January 24th.

Ferrari will then reveal its new car for the first time the following day. Ferrari drivers Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen plus team principal Stefano Domenicali, will also answer a selection of questions put forward by fans.

Get all the 2014 race, test and launch dates on your mobile device using the F1 Fanatic Calendar

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?? Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

116 comments on Ferrari to reveal car on January 25th after fan vote

1 2 3
  1. Bookoi (@bookoi) said on 15th January 2014, 13:21

No ‘La Formula 1 car’?

2. pking008 (@pking008) said on 15th January 2014, 13:24

Ferrari has got to be kidding with the name selections. Well, it keeps their fans busy till the car is released at least.Ingenuous if you think about it. My guess is they already know the name they want to use but this is just an exercise to engage fans.

3. andae23 (@andae23) said on 15th January 2014, 13:29

I don’t like any of those names. Let’s call it ‘Dave’.

4. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 15th January 2014, 13:39

As a measure of just how immature us petrolheads are, I’ve just voted for the F166 Turbo, for no other reason than the fact that it has the word “turbo” in it.

However, if the car name is decided via a fan vote, what have they been calling the chassis during the development phase? I went to the Lotus factory after this year’s Korean GP, and I saw a tub marked “E22″, so what label is on the Ferrari? Kimi’s Magnum PI special? Or, “the one with the V6 in it”?

• Bleeps_and_Tweaks (@bleeps_and_tweaks) said on 15th January 2014, 13:42

Ditto, surely it’s got to be the turbo option!

• S2G-Unit (@s2g-unit) said on 15th January 2014, 14:52

haha! I did also because it had to have turbo!

• Ferrari traditionally have two separate designations for their cars – they have an internal code, which is “6XX”, that is used during the development phase and an official code which is then used when the car is first presented to the wider public.
      The exception to that would be the 640 to 643 models that were used in the late 1980′s and early 1990′s – there, the public code and internal development codes were exactly the same. Had they continued with that logic, the car known to the public as the F92A would have been the Ferrari 644, it’s successor the 645 and so forth.

Ferrari would therefore be referring to the car by the internal project code, which I believe would be either Project No. 665 or 666.

• Jakob (@jakobh) said on 15th January 2014, 21:56

Ferrari LaDave Turbo?

5. Calum (@calum) said on 15th January 2014, 13:46

F2014 Turbo would have been my vote.

F14 T… close enough.

6. F1FerrariFan1 (@f1ferrarifan1) said on 15th January 2014, 13:46

Does anyone know the significance of the numbers 166 and 616?

7. Wallbreaker (@wallbreaker) said on 15th January 2014, 13:47

Voted for F14 Scuderia. Don’t really like the names referring to the engine specifications.

8. Maciek (@maciek) said on 15th January 2014, 13:47

F14T is a pretty good name for an F1 car.

By the by – anybody notice the nose on that picture http://formula1.ferrari.com/news/red-letter-day ? certainly doesn’t look like anything the doom-mongers have been predicting.

9. mixwell (@mixwell) said on 15th January 2014, 13:50

doesnt F14T look like FIAT ?

10. Fixy (@fixy) said on 15th January 2014, 13:56

Voted for F616 because I don’t like text in a name. A letter is fine, but T already stands for transverse in the 312 series, referred to the gearbox type, so a T for turbo doesn’t sound appropriate. Also, two only digits referred to the year aren’t interesting enough to me.

11. verstappen (@verstappen) said on 15th January 2014, 14:22

Shame there isn’t something like Fth 166th Turboth Italia Scuderiath

12. matt90 (@matt90) said on 15th January 2014, 14:30

Not a fan of attaching names like Maranello and Scuderia to a race car, as I already associate them with road cars. Plus it seems a little self-selving to have Scuderia in the name of a car by Ferrari Scuderia. Using something as blatant as Turbo seem a little unlike Ferrari. So on that basis I prefer F14 T and F616. Although personally I’d like to see Dino return for V6 cars.

13. BJ (@beejis60) said on 15th January 2014, 14:31

I was hoping to vote for “f1fu”

14. nvHerman said on 15th January 2014, 14:37

If I got the choice I’d vote for 266F1.

The F1 is obvious, but what do the numbers refer to, and why would I have chosen them?

15. Daniel Garcia said on 15th January 2014, 14:43

Can’t we call it something that sounds like a hummer or L200 so we have the problem of mixing up an F1 car with a pick-up or 4×4 again?

1 2 3