2014 F1 season
Over the past 20 years, the price of attending some races has risen well above the rate of inflation.
The British Grand Prix is typical of this. A three-day general admission ticket to the 1993 race would have set you back ?é?ú52. Had that risen in line with inflation a corresponding 2014 ticket would cost just under ?é?ú90.
However the ordinary price of a general admission ticket to this year’s race is ?é?ú170 – over three times what it cost two decades ago. This is typical of the price increase seen at tracks which were also on the calendar in 1993.
Other tracks which have tripled the prices of their cheapest weekend tickets in that time include the Circuit de Catalunya, Hungaroring and Monza. Prices are twice what they were at Spa-Francorchamps, the Hockenheimring and Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.
Perhaps unsurprisingly Monaco has seen the steepest rise in this time, increasing its general admission pass price almost six-fold in that time. But even so it is only slightly dearer to buy the equivalent ticket for that race as it is for this year’s British Grand Prix.
Prices at Silverstone have risen particularly steeply in recent years. The cheapest three-day ticket prices has gone up by ?é?ú10 per year on average since 2010, and the top-price grandstand seats have gone up even more.
F1 fans may have the chance to see the cars in action this season without spending so much. Up to four two-day tests may take place at tracks following race meetings. However it remains to be seen which venues will hold these tests, and whether they will be open to the public.
2014 ticket prices so far
NB. All cheapest tickets are general admission except Bahrain. Albert Park is a four-day ticket.
Are you going to an F1 race in 2014?
Do you have a regular race you go to every year? Are you going to one of the new additions to the 2014 F1 calendar?
Find other fans who are heading to the same race via the discussion forums below.
- Going to the 2014 Australian Grand Prix at Albert Park
- Going to the 2014 Malaysian Grand Prix at Sepang International Circuit
- Going to the 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix at Bahrain International Circuit
- Going to the 2014 Chinese Grand Prix at Shanghai International Circuit
- Going to the 2014 Spanish Grand Prix at Circuit de Catalunya
- Going to the 2014 Monaco Grand Prix at Monte-Carlo
- Going to the 2014 Canadian Grand Prix at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
- Going to the 2014 British Grand Prix at Silverstone
- Going to the 2014 German Grand Prix at the Hockenheimring
- Going to the 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix at the Hungaroring
- Going to the 2014 Belgian Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps
- Going to the 2014 Italian Grand Prix at Monza
- Going to the 2014 Singapore Grand Prix at Marina Bay
- Going to the 2014 Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka
- Going to the 2014 Russian Grand Prix at Sochi
- Going to the 2014 United States Grand Prix at the Circuit of the Americas
- Going to the 2014 Brazilian Grand Prix at Interlagos
- Going to the 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix at Yas Marina
2014 F1 season
- Mercedes’ Bahrain battle “too dangerous” – Warwick
- Streiff’s comments on Bianchi crash investigation prompts legal action from FIA
- Is stewarding improving? Analysing 2014’s penalties
- The Complete F1 Fanatic 2014 season review
- No improvement in Bianchi’s condition
Browse all 2014 F1 season articles
Image ?é?® Ebrey
Promoted content from around the web | Become an F1 Fanatic Supporter to hide this ad and others