How F1 ticket prices have risen over 20 years

2014 F1 season

Fans, Silverstone, 2013 British Grand PrixIn a sport where money is everything, the price of a ticket to a Formula One race is one of the most visible indicators of how costs are passed on to its fans.

Over the past 20 years, the price of attending some races has risen well above the rate of inflation.

The British Grand Prix is typical of this. A three-day general admission ticket to the 1993 race would have set you back ??52. Had that risen in line with inflation a corresponding 2014 ticket would cost just under ??90.

However the ordinary price of a general admission ticket to this year’s race is ??170 – over three times what it cost two decades ago. This is typical of the price increase seen at tracks which were also on the calendar in 1993.

Other tracks which have tripled the prices of their cheapest weekend tickets in that time include the Circuit de Catalunya, Hungaroring and Monza. Prices are twice what they were at Spa-Francorchamps, the Hockenheimring and Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

Perhaps unsurprisingly Monaco has seen the steepest rise in this time, increasing its general admission pass price almost six-fold in that time. But even so it is only slightly dearer to buy the equivalent ticket for that race as it is for this year’s British Grand Prix.

Prices at Silverstone have risen particularly steeply in recent years. The cheapest three-day ticket prices has gone up by ??10 per year on average since 2010, and the top-price grandstand seats have gone up even more.

F1 fans may have the chance to see the cars in action this season without spending so much. Up to four two-day tests may take place at tracks following race meetings. However it remains to be seen which venues will hold these tests, and whether they will be open to the public.

2014 ticket prices so far

NB. All cheapest tickets are general admission except Bahrain. Albert Park is a four-day ticket.

Are you going to an F1 race in 2014?

Do you have a regular race you go to every year? Are you going to one of the new additions to the 2014 F1 calendar?

Find other fans who are heading to the same race via the discussion forums below.

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?? Ebrey

43 comments on How F1 ticket prices have risen over 20 years

1. mantresx (@mantresx) said on 16th January 2014, 16:43

Any reason why “Going to the 2014 Austrian GP” isn’t in the forum yet?

2. I have been to both the british grand prix and le mans. Both pretty much the same price including tickets and travel even though i only live about 120miles from silverstone in the midlands, one was a amazing weekend away where i got to get up close to the drivers and racing cars, hence i will be attending again this year, the other i got within 50 meters of a car and driver and that was on the track and was stuck pretty much in the same seat all weekend and bored for most of the day! and will probably never go back, cant wait for my return to Le mans this year

3. foleyger (@foleyger) said on 16th January 2014, 18:45

When will they announce the 4 2 day test sessions. I would like to go one of them

4. foleyger (@foleyger) said on 16th January 2014, 18:45

5. ME4ME (@me4me) said on 16th January 2014, 18:59

I went to SPA in 2012 when Jenson Button won. Paid about €450 for a seat at Eau Rouge. I had a great time, even though the weather was quite bad, the rain poring down. Free practise wasn’t that exiting. Qualifying was good, and the race was fantistic, atleast the first couple of laps when the field was still quite close together. But to be honest, it wasn’t worth the €800 i spent for the weekend. Being at a real F1-race was something i always wanted to do. I did it, and now it’s OK. I probably won’t go again, it’s too expensive for what you get. I think it’s a real shame, and one of the reasons for why i wish the budget cap for F1 teams will make it. Hopefully that will have an effect on prices, even though that may be wishfull thinking..

6. I have attended the British GP for the past three years. The price of a ticket and camping is steep enough, but I have to add on the cost of parking at the airport for 4 days and the cost of flights across the Irish Sea. It is a great weekend. The racetrack is buzzing with activity and the campsite is really good fun too. When surrounded by friends, it is a great weekend. No doubt about it.

Having said that, (and having crunched some numbers), the 2013 British GP was my last GP, for the moment at least. It’s always been expensive, but this year it is prohibitively expensive, and I have other things I need to do and I simply can’t afford it. I won’t rule out a return to Silverstone in the future, but I’ll be watching from the comfort of my home in 2014.

7. Rodrrico (@rodrrico) said on 16th January 2014, 22:55

I will be in Italy this year for a long holiday. Is it worth going to just the race on the Sunday? Also where can you go with a general admission ticket at Monza. Is it like Albert Park where you can pretty much go anywhere that isn’t a grand stand? Someone please reply :)

8. Ra-Sewn (@deityallah) said on 16th January 2014, 23:05

I have always been a casual F1 fan and just started getting into it a bit more serious over the past 3 years. With that being said, I went to my first race (Monaco) last year and will be returning again this year for my 2nd. As a young professional who doesn’t make a ton of money, the trip is expensive since I pay for airfare (live in the states), race day tickets & lodging (for two I might add), but putting all that up against what I have to pay for sporting events here in the States, the gap isn’t as wide as some might think.

If I go to a Knicks game here and pay for good seat at the Garden which would say be the equivalent to K1 High at Monaco, those “regular” season tickets would be priced in or around $500 USD each and this could even be the case when they are even playing a bad team.

Therefore, from my perspective, though it might be a couple hundred dollars more expensive to go to Monaco (Obviously not including airfare and lodging), It’s still not as huge of a gap that you might think it is from other high priority sporting events.

Now granted, we have 3rd party vendors like Stub Hub and Ebay where you can catch a great deal every now and again and buy that same $500 ticket for maybe $175.

But the main thing to keep in mine is that these F1 events only happen “Once” a year while your favorite soccer, football & basketball team play multiple home games a season. And for their prices to reach those levels (i.e. regular season Knick tickets for $500), playing $650 USD for grandstand seats at Monaco doesn’t seem so bad in comparison.

Don’t get it twisted though, it’s still hella expensive

Just my 2 cents.

9. Bobby (@f1bobby) said on 17th January 2014, 19:47

Will there be a forum for people going to the Austrian Grand Prix?

10. Steve Kormanik said on 18th January 2014, 1:34

IndyCar at Mid-Ohio is 70 US Dollars for the weekend. No it isn’t F1, but what a steal.

11. Kenny (@kennyg) said on 19th January 2014, 22:43

Just noticed the Graph is wrong for Albert Park, it says £153 but I’ve got it at $149 so about £80, which I don’t think is any higher than I paid last year, and actually reasonable by F1 standards!

I’ve seen F1 at home in Britain in 2008, India in 2011 and Australia 2013. Ignoring all other factors like travel and lodging, the British GP was by far the most expensive. For experience the Australian and British GP tie it as both allowed you to roam pretty much unrestricted (obviously no Grandstands), plus support races, where as in India there was only 1 support race around 4 hours before the F1 and you were stuck in very small area throughout.