Double points “will make things exciting” – Hill

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Damon Hill, Goodwood Festival of Speed, 2013In the round-up: Damon Hill believes offering double points for the final race will make this season more exciting.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Schumi’s accident exposes life’s vulnerability: Damon Hill (The Times of India)

“It’s going to be unpredictable with double points proposed in the final race of the season. It will make things exciting. I’ve heard a lot of people say it’s stupid but why isn’t it a good idea? Maybe it’s a great idea. It’s all artificial anyway.”

Shame Indian Grand Prix has been scrapped: Damon Hill (IBN Live)

“The question hinges on what is the value of an international event to India. Maybe within India, it does not have the popularity that it has elsewhere and so it is perceived as not being important. But I think if you go outside India, to have a Formula One race is a good advertisement for a country.”

Schumacher still ‘stable’ (Sky)

“In a possible ray of comfort to Schumacher’s fans, his condition has not been listed as ‘critical’ in the latest update.”

Moody?s warns on F1 debt holder?s rating (FT, registration required)

“Given Mr Ecclestone?s pivotal role in creating the F1 franchise, Moody?s believes that any discontinuation of his participation in negotiations and key strategic decisions may have the potential to cause disruptions in the relationships between the F1 racing teams, F1 and the FIA ?ǣ the governing motorsport body.”

Nothing has changed – Ecclestone (BBC)

“All that’s happened is a few months ago we decided that if I had to appear in court, during that period I would stand down from my role as a director of Delta Topco.”

McLaren in race to make first test (Autosport)

“Although the team plans to launch its new MP4-29 online next Friday (January 24), doubts have now emerged about whether or not the new car will be able to take part in the opening pre-season test.”

Kimi’s world – Raikkonen and the team (Ferrari via YouTube)

Romanian project applies for 2015 F1 entry (Adam Cooper’s F1 Blog)

“It?s understood that some state-owned companies are behind the new project, and that they have decided to pursue their own route after initially considering buying into an existing team late last year.”

Rising son: Jenson Button?s early career (MotorSport)

Jenson Button’s father John: “When he scored his first wet-weather victory at Clay Pigeon. I ran out onto the circuit and threw my hat in the air in the same way that Colin Chapman used to celebrate Lotus F1 victories. Afterwards, I was told very firmly that you weren?t allowed to do that and I could get him disqualified…”

Tweets

Comment of the day

Robbie’s thoughts on the new V6 turbo era.

Personally I was never concerned about the type of noise these new engines would make. It was never why I watched F1. I?m confident a field of these cars will sound just as impressive, and just different, not inferior. And I think there is ??beauty? in the noise they?ll make when they are using one third less fuel, just as I can look past the ??eyesore? that some think a field of wind turbines is when you recall that they are producing electricity by free wind, not fossil fuels.

And I remain concerned when I hear the likes of Bernie Ecclestone depending on the extra veto power of one team, Ferrari of course, but I am encouraged that even that extra weight does not guarantee them or Ecclestone everything, including drivers’ and constructors’ championships year after year. It certainly fascinates me that potential new entrants like Haas for example would even consider the series when it is skewed towards one team at least on the board if not always on the track.
Robbie

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Keeleyobsessed!

On this day in F1

Christian Fittipaldi celebrated his 23rd birthday by landing a seat at Arrows for the forthcoming season on this day in 1994. He turns 43 today.

Image ?? F1 Fanatic/Joris Meuffels

76 comments on Double points “will make things exciting” – Hill

1. pH (@ph) said on 18th January 2014, 9:27

You want unpredictability, Bernie? Here’s a rule for you. After every race, the driver who was leading the Championship coming into this race will be decked 3 points. The beauty of the rule is that you can adjust it easily just by changing 3 to 2, or to 10 in case of Red Bull domination :-).
    Furthermore, it does not affect midfield and backmarker teams, so the damage to the sport’s creditability is lower than the double-point race idea. Now if Bernie is reading this, you know how the 2015 season will go :-).

2. Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 18th January 2014, 9:52

No points for the guy on Jeopardy was a bit harsh, I thought.
    He did well to remember Michael Andretti’s time in F1…

3. RBAlonso (@rbalonso) said on 18th January 2014, 12:26

Whilst I agree with Hill that the double points will be exciting, it is completely wrong. For me the worst Grand Prix of 2013 was the one that should have been the best, Monaco was ruined by pedestrian driving. Would I swap a dull Monaco (and others) for one artificially exciting race? No.

Another horror element of this gimmick is, ironically, half points. In a season where reliability is going to be crucial we could end up with a scenario of one race worth FOUR times as much. That to me is madness.

4. Bwal87 (@bwal87) said on 18th January 2014, 12:46

I wonder how exciting Hill would have found it in ’96 if double points had been implemented then? Had it been, then a 2nd in Suzuka for polesitter JV coupled with a 6th or lower for Hill would have unjustly deprived him of his title.

• Robbie said on 18th January 2014, 13:21

As a huge JV fan I would have been over the moon, but I honestly don’t know how I would defend him against the hoards that would have been claiming DH was robbed…again. By mere math this time, not an on-track collision.

Then again…if it’s all artificial anyway, perhaps DH places no value on his WDC or his other stats in F1, and couldn’t care less.

5. antonyob (@antonyob) said on 18th January 2014, 16:22

gosh there’s a lot of outraged of Tunbridge Wells watching F1 these days. F1 has always been the pinnacle of subterfuge, cheating, stealing, silly ideas and back room politics. It is after all a pastime, it’s not real life unless you work in it. Enjoy it, laugh at it but if you can’t, stop watching. I did with football. I’m pretty sure I’m not missed. Don’t ever think as a fan you are important. You’re not. I’m not.

6. kpcart said on 18th January 2014, 17:21

I like how “from the forums” has Robert Kubica crashes out from Monte Carlo Rally. I would like to point out a few things so people do not get the wrong impression of kubica at monte carlo.

- He won the first 2 stages of the rally in very trying conditions, where the top drivers chose the same tyres, the first stage he won shockingly by 19 seconds – in only his second WRC rally! put that into perspective with Kimi Raikonnen, who only won 1 stage in his WRC career.
    -He was fighting for a genuine top 3 finish. in the 50km stage he crashed out from, he was the only driver going at the same pace as champion Ogier throughout the stage
    -he put to shame career WRC drivers like Otsberg, Sordo, Latvala and Hirvonnen – thrashing them in most stages.
    -his performance in this rally is more important then his WRC2 crown, and his recent ERC win at the Janner Rally because of the competition he is up against.
    -his rally career is only 1 year old!

-lets not forget he is basically a disabled driver now.

7. xivizmath (@xivizmath) said on 18th January 2014, 17:45

Hill: Double points “exciting”

Me: Hill “wrong”

8. spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 18th January 2014, 18:32

It’s all artificial anyway.

Pitiful mentality.

9. BJ (@beejis60) said on 18th January 2014, 19:28

Anyone find it kind of nostalic that Kimi is quite chatty?

10. montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 18th January 2014, 19:52

So, in the great philosopher D. Hill’s view, if the patient is seriously injured let’s shoot him in the head and be done with it. Pathetic

Less than 60 days until the start of my 21st season as an F1 fan. I await the new season and the new cars with immense anticipation and excitement. But unless that rule isn’t changed (or at least real moves are being made to get rid of it, not vague “maybes” about 2015) I will not be watching it. Not live, not in highlights not in any way. Yes, it’s going to be extremely difficult, but to accept such a farce is even more difficult for me

11. Chris Brighton said on 18th January 2014, 20:01

Hopefully it doesn’t happen this year but it won’t make it exciting if the Championship is already decided, that I can tell you! It’s still a stupid decision by the FIA to award double points for the last race. No race is worth double, especially Abu Dhabi.

12. Bobby (@f1bobby) said on 18th January 2014, 20:42

Part of the predictability of F1 these days (and why they’re introducing more and more gimmicks) is down to the supreme reliability of all the teams.

Go back a couple of decades and you could never be sure until the very end that a car would make it to the finish (Mansell’s ’91 campaign is a good example) but these days they’re all bullet proof – Max Chilton is proof!

Might be an oversimplification but have cost controls taken F1 from bleeding edge to relative conservatism?

Just thinking out loud now but I am so bored with this sport.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 18th January 2014, 23:12

Reliability doesn’t have to mean boring racing. Technical failures are very rare in the BTCC, yet it has some of the closest and most thrilling racing in any series I follow.

13. SauberS1 (@saubers1) said on 19th January 2014, 0:15

I think that double points don’t make more exciting.