Fernandes ‘will quit if Caterham don’t improve’

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Tony Fernandes, Caterham, 2014In the round-up: Caterham owner Tony Fernandes warns he will leave the sport if his team don’t improve on last year’s performance when they finished 11th in the constructors’ championship.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Tony Fernandes stuns Caterham F1 backmarkers by threatening to quit (The Guardian)

“My message to the 250 people here [at the factory] is we have to go for it this year. This is it ?ǣ the final chance. We’ve given you the best infrastructure, the best potential drivers but it is now down to all of you to go and do it. If we’re at the back I don’t think I’m going to carry on.”

Kobayashi happy to race for free (Reuters)

“We paid with my fans’ donations and I have to really thank my Japanese fans. I think I could not get this seat without my fans.”

Kobayashi spurned Ferrari for Caterham (Autosport)

“Ferrari offered me another contract, and Stefano [Domenicali] is not happy I didn’t take it. But it is only my decision to be here.”

Kovalainen without a drive as Caterham follows the money (Adam Cooper’s F1 Blog)

“I got a text message from Tony [Fernandes] saying they need two pay drivers.”

Caterham updates for 2014 season (Caterham)

“The TMG facility allows us to run at 60% scale, more than the 50% scale we have been using to date, and that has obvious benefits in increasing the accuracy of the data generated in the tunnel.”

McLaren: No title sponsor? (Sky)

“Speaking in an interview, McLaren Managing Director Jonathan Neale said that the unveiling of the MP4-29 chassis will not be accompanied by any new major backing as had been expected.”

Lotus wants Project Pastor to follow a previous path (The National)

“We know Pastor [Maldonado] is fast, but what I suspect is, we will be handling the same situation we had with Romain, which is trying to control that speed more and make it come out when it is really required.”

Michael Schumacher: Family ‘deeply touched’ after FC Koln and Schalke unveil banner in support of the seven-time F1 world champion (The Independent)

“Players from both clubs displayed a banner before kick-off, which read: ‘Get well soon! You can do it, Michael!'”

Exploring Robert Clarke’s EarthPrix concept (The Way It Is)

“Unfortunately, racing has gone down a road where it’s only about the people who are competing in it. It’s a bunch of self-serving people participating in a club activity that they enjoy.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

Lots of readers are very pleased to see Kobayashi return to F1:

Very welcome to see Kobayashi back. That should guarantee an extra level of madness at Suzuka. And good to see the team going back to a policy of at least one decent experienced driver again. Before 2013, they always had either Trulli, or Kovalainen, or both. (What?s Kovalainen doing now, by the way? More golf?)

Ericsson?s an underwhelming choice, like Chilton last year. I?d have preferred to see Rossi get the drive, he looked ready for it in his practice runs. Maybe he?ll take to F1 better than GP2 ?ǣ like Kobayashi did.
@Tomsk

From the forum

Site updates

With the 2014 F1 driver line-up complete the lists of drivers who have appeared for each team have been updated:

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Nathan and Salut Gilles!

On this day in F1

Mike Hawthorn was killed 55 years ago today in a road accident. He was the reigning world champion at the time but had left the sport a few weeks earlier after taking the title in a year which saw the deaths of Stuart Lewis-Evans, Luigi Musso, and Hawthorn’s close friend Peter Collins.

Image ?? Caterham/LAT

55 comments on Fernandes ‘will quit if Caterham don’t improve’

1. Funkyf1 (@funkyf1) said on 22nd January 2014, 8:54

Mclaren not having a sponsor is maybe due to Mclaren not having any presence on the podium for so long. Another reason for Ron’s return.

2. Bazza Spock (@bazza-spock) said on 22nd January 2014, 10:20

Wow, big news round up today.

I’ve not been happy with Fernandes ever since he gave up on the Lotus name after 1 (2?) years. If he leaves at the end of the year, then fine – I hope someone more dedicated to the sport comes along. I remember when he first started syaing that he was here for the long-term – yeah right.

And I think it was probably a mistake by Kamui to hitch his wagon to their train. I know F1’s great but sportscar racing wouldn’t have been that bad surely…?

Would love to get a proper look at that new Force India nose. Hohnny Noble is saying he thinks the perception is that it’ll be ugly but after the stepped noses how much worse could it get?

3. Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 22nd January 2014, 14:39

Tony Fernandes: I’ll quit QPR if we’re off the pace again (Evening Substandard)

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

4. andy2k12 (@andy2k12) said on 22nd January 2014, 15:21

THIS …this is what Formula1 is all about! Driver announcements, car presentations and the ongoing speculations during winter-testing – that’s pure excitement for real f1-fanatics! I always enjoy this part of the off-season period, because of all the uncertainty regarding the true strength of the cars/teams. Like an addict i’m searching for new information and photos about the new cars. …who set the fastest time on this day, who had best tyre degradation, checking time-monitors on the smartphone …i love it!

This time always reminds me of one thought: To me, the attraction of F1 is much more than just racing + overtaking. The technical side is even more interesting and an important part of this motorsport. If there wasn’t this kind of insight into the sophisticated and unique approaches of every engineering detail, i think i wouldn’t be interested in F1 anymore. Honestly I don’t know, wether there are other motorsport-series, that provide this much technical information – but i believe that it separates F1 from other motorsports. Without this aspect, F1 would become replaceable to me.

Not to forget: Thanks to this website, i get a lot of information to maintain my f1-additiction =) Keep up the good work, Keith!

5. DaveD (@daved) said on 22nd January 2014, 15:55

I’m surprised that the Fernandez comments don’t seem to get more interest on here. As an American, I’ve come to expect to see our sports teams have a chance at coming from behind one year and have the chance to win many games or even a championship the next year. It makes it worth supporting teams even if they aren’t front markers every year. In our NFL (American football), they have a salary cap on players and they give the last place teams higher draft picks for talent. A way to balance things and hence our phrase: “On any given Sunday, any team could possibly beat any other team” It keeps fans involved.

So why is it that Bernie and company just keeping giving more and more money to the top teams and starving the backmarkers…and then chastising them for being poor. Sounds like the sports world’s version of America’s “trickle down economics” which we’ve seen are an incredibly poor excuse for a real policy.

And why does nobody on here seem to care? Am I just out there and it’s not an issue to anyone else that Carterham or Marussia have ZERO chance of even scoring a point???

6. PMccarthy_is_a_legend (@pmccarthy_is_a_legend) said on 22nd January 2014, 21:13

Mclaren: Worst season in 20 years, no title sponsor, a second-rate driver on one race seat, a rookie on the other, and missing the first test on a season with the biggest regulations change of the pas few years.
    Thank you Martin Whitmarsh you are doing an amazing job. I actually feel sorry for Ron, at 60 he should be thinking about enjoying his life a bit more… Instead he has to step in to stop gold old Martin running Mclaren into the ground.