Force India reveal first picture of VJM07

2014 F1 cars

Force India VJM07, 2014

Force India have become the first team to reveal an image of their 2014 F1 contender.

The VJM07 was shown for the first time by the team on Twitter.

“I always enjoy seeing a Formula One car come to life, but I can?t remember so much anticipation ahead of a new season,” said managing director Vijay Mallya.

“The rule changes have presented us with a huge challenge, but I?m very proud of the approach we have taken and the direction of the technical team. It will be fascinating to see how different teams have interpreted the rules and at this stage it?s impossible to predict who has done the best job.

“It?s this uncertainty that should make for a very entertaining season of racing, which is great news for the fans.”

One of the first noticeable changes on the new car is a revised colour scheme. “The new car livery reflects the way Sahara Force India is evolving.”

“I?ve always believed the saffron, white and green livery has made our cars the most eye-catching, but adding black as a main colour gives us a fierce new look.”

“The national colours of India remain an integral part of the car, but the tiger has become a panther! As we enter our seventh season with new partnerships and new names on the car, our contemporary new look helps signal our ambition.”

The new car is the first to benefit from Force India’s expanded agreement with Mercedes which includes its 1.6-litre V6 turbo engine, energy recovery systems and eight-speed gearbox. Force India confirmed the car uses pullrod suspension at the rear and pushrods at the front.

2014 F1 cars

Browse all 2014 F1 cars articles

Image ?? Force India

107 comments on Force India reveal first picture of VJM07

1 2 3 5
  1. andae23 (@andae23) said on 22nd January 2014, 9:01

A new livery for Force India? I thought it would never happen..

Anyway, the livery looks good, I’m going to keep quiet about the car until we get a better view of the nose.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 22nd January 2014, 9:10

As its a ‘shopped image anyway, there is not much we can really say about the car itself, although the livery certainly looks more menacing than what they had last years (I would like a bit more green maybe, but less white is certainly an improvement) @andeae23

• SeaHorse (@seahorse) said on 22nd January 2014, 10:01

@andae23 I too thought they would not deviate much from their standard tricolor livery this year. I am caught by surprise!

• bananarama (@bananarama) said on 22nd January 2014, 10:05

@andae23 The livery looks fine, I actually quite like it (although they might want to have a white version at hand in the deserts and such). I think what we see of the nose is .. it could be very ugly from other angles. It does look like it is a rather regular high nose with some kind of vertical board in it sticking in it protruding to hold the front wing. We’ll see soon.

• joetoml1n (@joetoml1n) said on 22nd January 2014, 10:50

@bananarama “although they might want to have a white version at hand in the deserts and such” … I doubt it.. Teams must run their two cars with essentially the same race livery throughout the season and must seek prior approval for any major changes, can’t see the point in doing.

• Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 22nd January 2014, 11:34

@andae23 same. From the side it looks nice, but that nosecone it’s never gonna be pretty… It’s such a shame, I loved the low nosecones of the late 80′s, early 90s.

This shape, from the side, defines F1 cars. That’s how I used to draw them as a kid… kinda like the 1994 Williams or 1990 Ferrari. Sad the front will inevitably look hideous.

• bobec said on 22nd January 2014, 13:08

Some early high-nose designs looked nice too – the Benettons, the 1994 Ferrari.

I think what makes modern F1 cars really ugly is the fact they are narrow and long, and with smaller tires. Then the aero elements got very out-of-proportion.

• HoHum (@hohum) said on 22nd January 2014, 16:08

Very distinctive livery, well done FI.

• spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 22nd January 2014, 19:07

@andae23 one can notice the nose is at least “filled”, not as flaccid as some previous fan designs. I am pretty excited, it looks incredibly good :) (added to the line-up they have :))

2. craig-o (@craig-o) said on 22nd January 2014, 9:02

Well that was… Unexpected…

Unsure what to make of the black though…

3. matt90 (@matt90) said on 22nd January 2014, 9:02

I like the livery. Not giving much away about the nose unfortunately, but in profile I do like it (aside from the gawky airbox).

• Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 22nd January 2014, 9:27

With a turbo, it probably doesn’t even need an airbox any more. But there’s a stupid rule, and it might sell some beer and plane tickets.
      Nice surprise, they needed a change, and it’s better than their shirts.

• @bullfrog they probably do actually – it never used to be the case but the ERS have placed very high demands on cooling, so I imagine it’ll still be integrated as part of the cooling for the engine (in fact, I think Renault’s release pictures confirm this).

4. RoboCAT (@robocat) said on 22nd January 2014, 9:02

When I first saw that I thought it looked messy. Now I look at it again and I really like their new livery. Cant wait to see Hulkenberg and Perez behind the wheel!

5. Jimbo Hull (@kartingjimbo) said on 22nd January 2014, 9:03

The black certainly contrasts well with the existing green/orange. Really didn’t expect them to change from the white, it doesn’t look to shabby!

• OOliver said on 22nd January 2014, 10:29

It does appear that the car also has the Wulrus style nose.

• joetoml1n (@joetoml1n) said on 22nd January 2014, 10:54

Difficult to tell from that angle.. It could well be a nose with a narrow and low middle section, but tapered smoothly into the higher portion of the nose/crash structure/monocoque. (Not sure what to call the nose type I have explained)

• OOliver said on 22nd January 2014, 11:03

Yes I know what you mean, but I used Walrus to imply the front wing pylons extend much further ahead of the nose. It doesn’t however mean the walrus isn’t sticking its tongue out.

• Jack (@jackisthestig) said on 22nd January 2014, 21:08

The old Williams ‘Walrus Nose’ sprung to mind at first, but at closer look the white and black sections of what at first appeared to be a single long pylon are actually separate objects. The nose and pylons appear to be entirely white (most closely resembling the 2013 Ferrari) while the black section appears to be the uurrm… phallic object sprouting out of the middle of the nose, just like Craig Scarbrough predicted.

Notice the shading on the black dangly part, the radius on the tip of the white nose and the small chink of light above the C of Challenge on the end plate of the front wing.

6. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 22nd January 2014, 9:04

Well that looks ok. Judgement reserved until we get a head on or front three-quarter view!

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 22nd January 2014, 9:41

On a second look, there are two things that bug me. 1 The Claro logo looks like it was included as an afterthought, I would have pushed it closer to the back of the engine cover and straightened it up. 2 I don’t understand why the “Sahara Force India” logo on the sidepod is at an angle, it looks silly.

Interesting too that Green said the nose is a “banker” and that there are more aggressive interpretations to come later in testing and for the first race.

7. Daffron said on 22nd January 2014, 9:04

I really like the black in the livery. Imo the car looks nice from side profile. Looks like it has a phallus nose though, not sure I want to see it from the front!

8. Diceman (@diceman) said on 22nd January 2014, 9:06

Great livery, definitely better than the old one.

9. Verstappen GP (@verstappengp) said on 22nd January 2014, 9:07

Wow, that actually looks very good. Love the fact that most of the white has been replaced with black.
    It looks like the green is also a little lighter.
    Me like!!

10. Jan (@yancheelaa) said on 22nd January 2014, 9:08

looks awesome… i hope hulk will kick ass in this :)

11. msoerensen (@msoerensen) said on 22nd January 2014, 9:09

I think it looks awesome!

12. My god that’s ugly!

13. They might have overdone it a bit, but still, it’s better than having the old, dreary one from last year. At least they came up with something new. Black, white, orange and green with sponsor decals splashed with red and blue looks like the job of an 8-year-old.

14. Aimal (@aimalkhan) said on 22nd January 2014, 9:13

Looks Fantastic. its always nice to see a team change their colours at least once in a while instead of using the same colours over and over again.

15. Nige.B (@nigel2509) said on 22nd January 2014, 9:14

Nice livery! No matter what the cars look like we will get used to them. Doesn’t look too bad though, from the side anyway.

1 2 3 5