First image of Williams FW36 reveals ‘anteater’ nose

2014 F1 cars

Williams FW36 render, front three-quarter, 2014

Williams have become the second team to reveal the look of their 2014 F1 car – and the first to show off the design of the widely-debated 2014 noses.

The FW36 features the strikingly narrow, tapered nose which is expected to feature on many of this year’s cars due to the framing of the new regulations.

It is the first Williams to be powered by a Mercedes engine, and chief technical officer Pat Symonds said he was pleased with their collaboration so far.

Williams FW36 and FW35 compared“This is the first time that Williams has worked with Mercedes in F1 and we’ve been very impressed,” he said. “Their professionalism and commitment have been notable and we’re as confident as we can be that the power unit will be competitive.”

Aside from the striking nose design, which is expected to feature on most cars this year, the car features enlarged air intakes to cool the sophisticated new engines and energy recovery systems.

“Overall the cars will need more cooling this year,” Symonds explained. “The demands on water and oil cooling may be slightly diminished, but the [Energy Recovery System] is significantly more powerful and hence needs more cooling. We also have to cool the charge air from the turbocharger compressor which requires a substantial intercooler.”

“There’s a lot more technology on the cars this year,” he added. “We’ve had turbo-charged engines in F1 before; what’s different this time is that it is much more than just an engine change, it is a completely different system.”

“We’ve gone from a slightly hybridised normally aspirated engine to a fully integrated hybrid power unit with novel technology at its heart.”

Symonds said production of the car went according to plan. “But it’s been a challenge to get the car down to the weight limit.”

“It’s been achievable, but it hasn’t been easy because the new power unit is heavier than the outgoing V8.”

More Williams FW36 pictures

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

188 comments on First image of Williams FW36 reveals ‘anteater’ nose

1 2 3 6
  1. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 23rd January 2014, 9:09

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!! My eyes hurt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. “Anteater” yeah…. more like *cough*

3. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 23rd January 2014, 9:13

It’s nowhere near as bad as the platypus noses.

And it is considerably better than the early sketches of the designs. The one released by Red Bull made the nose look like an afterthought. Which I suspect was deliberate.

4. Casanova (@casanova) said on 23rd January 2014, 9:16

No sponsors at all?!

5. Sam (@) said on 23rd January 2014, 9:16

I don’t think it is that bad. It could be alot worse. I’ve seen plenty of possible outcomes throughtout the past months and I really like this one compared to others. I still think it is ugly but there were worse alternatives.

And in the end, if this car/year brings us some good racing I can’t be bothered with the ****-noses.

6. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 23rd January 2014, 9:17

Force India have the “panther”.

Williams have the “anteater”.

Caterham have the “alien”.

Now that Ron Dennis is running the show at McLaren, I shudder to think of how they are going to imbue it with animal qualities. I’m bracing myself for the “wobbygong”. And no, that is not a typo.

7. Eddie (@wackyracer) said on 23rd January 2014, 9:17

Who’s idea was that !?

8. Girts (@girts) said on 23rd January 2014, 9:17

The nose looks truly terrible and I only hope that I get used to it in the course of time. Keep your kids away from this sport.

If the rules were more open, we would at least have some diversity but now we’ll probably have 22 ugly cars.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 23rd January 2014, 9:27

I would think that nose is something you might enjoy looking at, well hung and all @girts :-P

Honestly, I do not think it looks as horrible as feared, at least they tapered the change in width a bit to make it a smooth transition. And it looks as if FI have done the same, making these noses look “interesting” – a bit like the “broken and badly mended” one on the Lotus in the last 2 years – rather than the horrible boxy LEGO nose on cars like the FI, Ferrari, Williams (2012) and Caterhams.

I rank it in the same category as the unformly things Newey came up with for the last Red Bulls, taking diverse looks as a pre and a point of interest to look at what changes there during the season.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 23rd January 2014, 9:31

@bascb – I agree, it’s a massive improvement on the broken noses, and frankly just an interesting design development in F1.

• Girts (@girts) said on 23rd January 2014, 9:57

@bascb Well, there are other websites for THAT, you don’t expect to see such content on F1 Fanatic or Nickelodeon :)

I’m usually open to new, extraordinary changes to F1 car designs but I just don’t like this.

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 23rd January 2014, 10:19

@bascb – If they’re all only as bad as the Williams, it’s not quite as bad as I first feared. I got used to the snowplow front wings, the tiny rear wings and eventually, the stepped noses, so I’m sure I can get used to the ****noses as well.

I’m reserving my judgement on whether it’s as horrible as I feared though until I’ve seen more though as there’s a good chance some of the teams near the top will create something turely horrible!

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 23rd January 2014, 10:49

I am sure that Adrian Newey won’t let us down there and produce something horribly but fast @petebaldwin!

• Maksutov (@maksutov) said on 23rd January 2014, 13:55

To me, the nose doesn’t look too bad. I kind of like the Williams design, given the circumstances of course.

• mantresx (@mantresx) said on 23rd January 2014, 15:30

@bascb I don’t think they tapered the transition just to make it look better, as with everything in F1 there must be a logical reason behind that, my guess is that it makes the nose stronger in a front impact.
        Force India said yesterday they will come up with a more aggressive nose design later on because they didn’t want to fail the crash tests, I imagine it will be a deeper cut “finger” within the nose.

9. Mark Young (@terry-fabulous) said on 23rd January 2014, 9:18

Eeesh

Ah! Not to worry, we’ll all get used to it!

10. Sumedh said on 23rd January 2014, 9:21

The sidepods look bigger than last year.

The nose looks ummm.. terrible would be an understatement. It looks like a limp p**is to me.

11. Roald (@roald) said on 23rd January 2014, 9:22

It’s not great, but still a whole lot better than the stepped noses of 2012.

12. SD (@sd) said on 23rd January 2014, 9:28

what r these pointed noses supposed to achieve really?

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 23rd January 2014, 9:39

The target was to have the tip of the nose low, so that in case of a crash with another car the nose gets buried under a chassis (ahm lets not think about that cxxk-pit) rather than going over the top and hitting the driver or getting airborne @sd

• SD (@sd) said on 23rd January 2014, 9:51

i get the low nose part, but what is the purpose of the pointy nose?

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 23rd January 2014, 9:58

In recent years teams have learnt how much better it is to get as much airflow under the nose as possible, so now they try to still keep as much of it high up, and let only the minimum allowed in the rules (the narrow section bending down) to block airflow in that area @sd.

• W-K (@w-k) said on 23rd January 2014, 19:56

Call me pessimist but couldn’t this low nose course almost the same type of accident as the high nose. With the high nose that car rode over the struck car but this low nose, if it goes in just behind the front wheels, could cause the struck car to ride up over the striking car, end result the same.

Here’s hoping it doesn’t happen.

• the cars would still prefer a high nose, to feed the aero but the laws state a low nose to help prevent take off situations.what the strip does is to allow both

• Neuromancer said on 23rd January 2014, 10:53

Hmm could have some interesting failure mode’s i can see that low nose digging in to the back of car in front and possibly flipping it over

13. Dan_the_McLaren_fan (@dan_the_mclaren_fan) said on 23rd January 2014, 9:31

That’s more or less OK I would say. I expected worse…
    I prefer this to the “duck cars”.

14. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 23rd January 2014, 9:31

You had one job FIA! One job!

• joetoml1n (@joetoml1n) said on 23rd January 2014, 10:21

.. And they’ve succeeded, in lowering the nose tip. It’s not their job to design cars some fans would call aesthetically pleasing.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 23rd January 2014, 11:30

It’s not their job to design cars some fans would call aesthetically pleasing.

They made it their job with the vanity panels last year.

• joetoml1n (@joetoml1n) said on 23rd January 2014, 11:50

It’s not their job though.. It’s their job to make cars safe. Should they allow something for aesthetic reasons, then surely that’s at their discretion, but it’s not their job.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 23rd January 2014, 15:03

I’m not saying they made it their job to continue doing so, but they have recent history so it in’t as though there isn’t a precedent.

• PeterG said on 23rd January 2014, 12:30

The vanity panels were optional though, Most teams opted to run them because it was found to be more aerodynamically beneficial than having the step.

This year the FIA have not forced teams to run the narrow noses, They simply lowered them. The teams decided it was better to go for a narrow nose.

If the FIA mandated nose specs to prevent these narrow noses then everyone would just complain that everyone was been forced to run similar looking noses because it had become a spec fia part.

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 23rd January 2014, 15:51

True but they all are going to run the same nose anyway so in reality, the only difference would be that they’d all look a bit less ugly.

• Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 23rd January 2014, 12:53

@joetoml1n You do realize that the rules could have been made in such a way that it didn’t include these noses, it was the FIA that restricted the teams to such designs in the first place and I will keep them responsible for this.

1 2 3 6