First image of Williams FW36 reveals ‘anteater’ nose

2014 F1 cars

Williams FW36 render, front three-quarter, 2014

Williams have become the second team to reveal the look of their 2014 F1 car – and the first to show off the design of the widely-debated 2014 noses.

The FW36 features the strikingly narrow, tapered nose which is expected to feature on many of this year’s cars due to the framing of the new regulations.

It is the first Williams to be powered by a Mercedes engine, and chief technical officer Pat Symonds said he was pleased with their collaboration so far.

Williams FW36 and FW35 compared“This is the first time that Williams has worked with Mercedes in F1 and we’ve been very impressed,” he said. “Their professionalism and commitment have been notable and we’re as confident as we can be that the power unit will be competitive.”

Aside from the striking nose design, which is expected to feature on most cars this year, the car features enlarged air intakes to cool the sophisticated new engines and energy recovery systems.

“Overall the cars will need more cooling this year,” Symonds explained. “The demands on water and oil cooling may be slightly diminished, but the [Energy Recovery System] is significantly more powerful and hence needs more cooling. We also have to cool the charge air from the turbocharger compressor which requires a substantial intercooler.”

“There’s a lot more technology on the cars this year,” he added. “We’ve had turbo-charged engines in F1 before; what’s different this time is that it is much more than just an engine change, it is a completely different system.”

“We’ve gone from a slightly hybridised normally aspirated engine to a fully integrated hybrid power unit with novel technology at its heart.”

Symonds said production of the car went according to plan. “But it’s been a challenge to get the car down to the weight limit.”

“It’s been achievable, but it hasn’t been easy because the new power unit is heavier than the outgoing V8.”

More Williams FW36 pictures

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

188 comments on First image of Williams FW36 reveals ‘anteater’ nose

1. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 23rd January 2014, 11:45

Other than the very, very front of it, that’s a handsome looking thing.

2. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 23rd January 2014, 11:51

The nose may not be greatly pleasing on the eye, but it isn’t as bad as the stepped nose. Nothing will ever be as bad as the stepped nose!

3. Avril F1 said on 23rd January 2014, 11:59

could be cool if they made normal nose and holes in it. Then they would get needed air under the car and it won’t be so ugly. maybe somebody will make it.

4. Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 23rd January 2014, 12:00

Look at that exhaust position, it’s still clever – I believe there must be a rule that no bodywork is allowed outside the central area, where the exhaust should exit, but this central area was a bit wider than the exhaust itself, so Williams created mini-beam wings left and right of it.

Impressive.

• jodrell (@jodrell) said on 23rd January 2014, 12:47

isn’t that just the Monkey Seat?

• BJ (@beejis60) said on 23rd January 2014, 15:40

@atticus-2 @jodrell It looks like the monkey seat is directly behind the exhaust which is a no no.

Also, where are the upright beams to support the wing? It seemed like everyone was saying those will be present in the cars unless Williams is omitting them in this rendering for now.

• Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 23rd January 2014, 15:46

@beejis60 Yes, it cannot be the monkey seat. It does look like it, but I guess Williams would say it’s how they shaped the exhaust… :D

I read in an Autosport analysis that the rear wing of the FW36 is cleverly attached to the top of the diffuser on the sides with no central upright elements. This is very smart as well (unless it is deemed illegal, of course), because this way there is still no distraction to interrupt airflow between the mini-beam wing, the diffuser and the rear wing. So this is intentional from Williams.

5. Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 23rd January 2014, 12:02

Interestingly, the Williams looks far more compact at first sight than the Force India despite using the same engine – it could still be an illusion though without a proper sideview of the former.

6. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 23rd January 2014, 12:07

Cars look better with a narrower front wing though.

7. Tomsk (@tomsk) said on 23rd January 2014, 12:33

That’s a Womble nose, not an anteater.

8. Robbie said on 23rd January 2014, 12:33

Personally I am absolutely fine with this look. I find we usually get quite used to a style as a season goes along, but with all the fear mongering I was starting to think that wouldn’t happen this year. I no longer fear that, and in fact find the Williams more pleasing in appearance than the step nose cars.

9. JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 23rd January 2014, 12:46

You know what, I don’t think this looks too bad. But maybe I’m just already desensitized to the new noses.

10. toiago (@toiago) said on 23rd January 2014, 12:47

Couldn’t just the FIA shorten the length of the nose cone in such a way that these ugly inches of the nose would simply disappear?

11. James (@jamesf1) said on 23rd January 2014, 13:05

Well she has a bit of a butterface doesn’t she?

Jokes aside, I don’t think the car looks particularly ugly. I remember when the 2009 noses were being tested towards the end of the 2008 season and people were complaining about vomiting after looking at it (ok, I’ll stop joking now).

I’m fairly happy with it and I think people are over reacting. Yes, it could do with being rounded of a bit at the nose, but I would say the car looks better than last year.

Furthermore, this is only a computer generated image, I’ll reserve proper judgement until the car is revealed for real rather than via email/website upload.

• Steven (@steevkay) said on 23rd January 2014, 18:11

There will always be polarizing opinions about the looks. I always thought that the 2008-spec cars were beautiful, despite all the winglets and protrusions that sprouted off the body. I’m thinking specifically about the MP4-23 and the F2008 (I think that’s what Ferrari called it) which were really cool looking machines; if anything, I thought all those little winglets were very F1, in that they looked like futuristic jet fighters for the road. Many thought that the 2008-spec machines were ugly for the same reasons I thought they were beautiful.

I think one of the reasons why this car doesn’t bother me as much as the initial renderings made by Scarbs is that this nose tapers to the narrow point, whereas the inital Scarbs rendering showed… well, an expletive hanging off the front.

I think we’ll quickly get used to this. My reaction to this one wasn’t nearly as strong as when they switched to the 2009 formula, when the wings radically changed their proportions; I still remember that BMW was the first to render their 2009 racer and I thought it was awful. Once the season started, I pretty much forgot about my issues with the way the car looks.

Ultimately, if it produces good racing, you can paint the cars hot pink and hang phalluses all over the car for all I care.

12. Ben (@dirtyscarab) said on 23rd January 2014, 13:11

I quite like it. Has a sort of ‘talon’ look to it.
    The most important thing for me is that we’ve got nice low swooping noses again. Those high noses were horrid.

13. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 23rd January 2014, 13:26

I thought we would be able to trust Williams to come up with a design which was easy on the eye, but they have disappointed. The rules are so tight I think most teams will be forced into going down this route.

14. Paulocreed (@paulocreed) said on 23rd January 2014, 14:11

This is Margins better than the stepped nose of 2012 so, this platypus doesn’t bother me at all.

15. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 23rd January 2014, 14:22

I think there are quite a few overreactions to this nose at the moment. Yes, it’s not the best looking nose, but compared to the step-noses (Which I actually got used to anyway), it doesn’t bother me. I don’t even think it looks that bad. Sure, I’d prefer if it was either pointy or rounded off (Like the Brawn or Red Bull of early ’09), but I don’t think it’s as bad as people are making it out to be.