FIA proposes new 2014 rules but keeps double points

2014 F1 season

McLaren, Korea, 2013The FIA World Motor Sport Council has proposed further changes to the F1 rules for 2014 following today’s meeting in Geneva. They will be added to the rule book if they are approved by the F1 Commission.

Among the changes is the power for race stewards to impose a five-second time penalty on a car which can be served during a pit stop. A driver serving such a penalty would have to sit in his pit box with no work being performed on his car for five seconds, after which his team may change his tyres and perform other tasks.

Drivers will also be forbidden from stopping on the track after the race has finished in order to ensure they have enough fuel left in their car to provide a sample, as happened on several occasions last year. If it is approved by the F1 Commission, this will no longer be considered satisfactory grounds for stopping a car.

A further proposal would allow teams additions exemptions from the current curfew governing how much time their mechanics can spend working on their cars during a race weekend. Instead of the current two, teams would have six exemptions this year, to allow for the added complexity of working on this year’s cars.

The World Motor Sport Council also proposed requiring team members to wear helmets during qualifying as well as in the race, and increasing the minimum weight limit by one kilo to 691kg, due to differences in weight between this year’s tyres and those used last year.

The changes were agreed at a Strategy Group meeting chaired by FIA president Jean Todt and attended by Bernie Ecclestone and team representatives

A statement issued by the FIA made no reference to new rule which will award double points for the last race of the season, which has attracted widespread criticism from fans.

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?? McLaren/Hoch Zwei

93 comments on FIA proposes new 2014 rules but keeps double points

1. Girts (@girts) said on 23rd January 2014, 19:54

I have put my plans to go to this year’s German Grand Prix on hold after today.

For sure, I will get used to the double points rule, just like I will get used to the anteater noses. Just like I got used to inappropriately sized wings, DRS, loss of HRT and Kovalainen and other nonsense that should have never happened. But should my passion be about “getting used to” something all the time?

I still love a lot of aspects about F1 but I want to rethink my relationship with the sport, particularly the financial side of it.

2. According to James Allen, none of the teams even raised the issue at the meeting…….

3. sato113 (@sato113) said on 23rd January 2014, 21:30

from what I read, the issue of double points was never even brought up as the teams didnt feel it was worth the argument with Bernie.

• Kazihno (@kazinho) said on 23rd January 2014, 22:44

I doubt that. It was probably way down, at the bottom of the agenda and after they got to halfway down the list, Bernie announced “gotta go chaps, I’ve got a bail hearing. Meeting adjourned.”

4. Tiomkin said on 23rd January 2014, 21:50

F1 is not a sport. Its boys club meeting at weekends. No other sport changes the rules so often. If the fans want to change F1 for the better, then don’t subscribe to it. Let it rot on the vine. When viewing figures tumble, all these stupid rules will go out of the window. As long as idiots continue to pay they will continue on the ‘entrainment’ route. I love wrestling but I don’t want it on 4 wheels.

5. Kazihno (@kazinho) said on 23rd January 2014, 22:42

This new “1L fuel sample” rule for the race is ridiculous. They are already severely limited by only being allowed to run with 100kg, now they have to stretch that out by another 5-7km?

I hope the winner of the Aus GP crosses the finish line in the pit lane. If they do, the rule will be scrapped before they get off the podium.

6. This reminds me of a quote by Fernando Alonso in 2006 which can now be used by me in this conversation:

“I don’t consider F1 anymore a sport.”

7. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 23rd January 2014, 22:49

Well I guess my emails to the teams made no difference… As predicted lol.

8. maxthecat said on 23rd January 2014, 23:42

The Fia are Idiots. Best and easiest way to show how much fans hate this, don’t watch the last race.

9. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 24th January 2014, 0:13

So as far as I’m concerned, F1 ceased to be a sport this year. I’m sad, really sad.

10. Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 24th January 2014, 3:08

“Okay guys this is riddddicccculous”

11. I wonder what will happen if the double point rules serves well for Vettel at the end of the season?

12. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 24th January 2014, 8:20

If you want someone to blame for double points, look at whoever stands to gain the most from its introduction – broadcasters.

Every time the championship is settled before the final race, viewing figures slump. The sooner it is settled, the bigger the drop-off. Races that go down to the wire, like Brazil 2008, Abu Dhabi 2010, and Brazil 2012 are a ratings goldmine for broadcasters. Conversely, people stopped watching when Vettel won the 2011 and 2013 titles three or four races in advance. They spend millions of dollars on the rights to broadcast the sport (which is not uncommon for international sporting events), and so naturally want the championship fight to go on for as long as possible.

I suspect that double points is a way to appease the broadcasters, if not a product of their putting pressure on the sport. If broadcasters walk away from the sport, that means that there is less prize money to go around, and with the costs of competing being what they are, teams are no doubt depending on getting as much of that money as possible. Hence, if the broadcasters starr throwing their weight around, the teams will quickly move to placate them.

We have already seen how broadcasters can be self-serving. After all, the BBC brokered the joint broadcasting agreement with Sky, as they did not want to give up the rights to Formula 1, but did not want to keep paying full price for it. It would not surprise me if the broadcasters started piling pressure on the sport for double points.

• Timothy Katz (@timothykatz) said on 24th January 2014, 12:07

Do you have a source for the 2013 viewing figures? I didn’t think they had been released yet.

• Estesark (@estesark) said on 25th January 2014, 12:53

If we are going to blame the broadcasters, then why doesn’t the same “points-fixing” happen in every other sport shown live on television?

I’m sure that broadcasters would like a lot of things that go against the wishes of some fans. It’s up to each sport to find a balance between its integrity and profit. And if you ask me, F1 is getting that balance very, very wrong at the moment.