Satellite image shows Russian GP track taking shape

2014 Russian Grand Prix

Sochi International Street Circuit, 2014

Updated satellite photographs of Sochi reveal the site of this year’s Russian Grand Prix in greater detail.

The outline of the 5.853km (3.64-mile) Sochi International Street Circuit is now visible. A typical street circuit, more than half of its 19 turns are approximately right angles.

The track will be run in a clockwise direction and the race distance is likely to be 53 laps. The race will start at 3pm local time.

Russia’s first grand prix track is being built on the site of the Sochi Olympic Park which will host next month’s Winter Olympics.

Thanks to David Reid for the tip.

Over to you

Are you planning a trip to the Russian Grand Prix? Join the discussion here:

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

42 comments on Satellite image shows Russian GP track taking shape

1. Sam (@) said on 23rd January 2014, 13:21

I like the lay-out, especially that long u-turn and not so straight that F1 cars take full throttle. I’m happy we got this and Austria to replace Korea and India.

• OllieJ (@olliej) said on 23rd January 2014, 13:30

@ardenflo I too am intrigued by the big U-turn on the south side. I don’t think there’s anything similar on other F1 tracks is there? How will cars behave around such a corner?
      I’m never any good at telling what a track’s going to be like at this stage. Are we talking Abu Dhabi, Adelaide, or somewhere in between?

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 23rd January 2014, 15:53

I was fairly critical of the original drawings but hopefully, turn 2 (or 1 depending on whether they count the kink on the put straight as a turn) could be a decent overtaking spot. Sadly the pit straight will no doubt be a DRS zone so it doesn’t really matter as everything will be done before they reach the turn anyway.

The rest of the track is a bit too “short straight, 90 degree turn, short straight, 90 degree turn, short straight, 90 degree turn, short staight, 90 degree turn” for me.

• Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 23rd January 2014, 17:53

Okay , now where is the second DRS going to be ? Any guesses ?

• dumb_man (@dumb_man) said on 24th January 2014, 8:59

Wont average lap speeds be affected by the cars having to slow down to take these right hand corners 10 times a lap?

2. Joshua Mesh (@joshua-mesh) said on 23rd January 2014, 13:26

Russia is an awesome place

3. Lustigson (@lustigson) said on 23rd January 2014, 13:29

Interesting. I could’t make any sense of some of the corners… but then I realised that the track is clockwise.

Up until a few minutes ago I was under the impression that it would be counter-clockwise. Which may work just as well… ;-)

4. Jack_Hider (@jackhider) said on 23rd January 2014, 13:30

It’s still a stop-start track, and I’m sick of them.

5. matt90 (@matt90) said on 23rd January 2014, 13:37

I still find it pretty uninspiring, but you never know. I do like the straights actually being curved.

6. montreal95 (@montreal95) said on 23rd January 2014, 13:49

Much better looking than in the hideous sketch picture on the official F1 Website. The section on the west side of the track is quite fast with corners less than 90 degrees. And there will be lots of overtaking into turn 2 after that huge curved straight(must be at least a kilometer in length) with maybe cars running side by side through the huge turn 3(would be awesome if it’s a banked turn, unlikely though) Overall, let’s wait and see but it’s much better than I expected from the sketches

7. markopoloman (@markopoloman) said on 23rd January 2014, 14:15

It’s a giant bicycle spanner!

8. Michael Brown said on 23rd January 2014, 14:17

Looks like Valencia 2.0 to be honest

9. Atticus (@atticus-2) said on 23rd January 2014, 14:21

Yep, not a classic, not a better modern track, like India and the CotA.

That U-turn and possibly that increasing radius left-hander near the beginning of the final zig-zags looks to be the only two prominent features. I wonder waht the elevation and camber changes will be like, but I have absolutely no positive expectations on those fronts either.

10. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 23rd January 2014, 14:32

“…more than half of its 19 turns are approximately right angles.”

That’s the killer for me. Very, very underwhelmed by this layout.

11. Lewis McMurray (@celicadion23) said on 23rd January 2014, 15:00

I thought under modern regulations, Turn 1 of any FIA circuit has to be at least 45 degrees? That looks like less than 45 degrees to me. Unless there’s some loophole in the turn 1 rules I’ve forgotten about (likely)

12. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 23rd January 2014, 15:19

There is a big “circle turn” around a coliseum (South section), will it be like the Turkish GP’s turn 8, and i’m especially asking about G-force? How long will it take for the drivers to go around, while feeling their heads almost being torn to the right?

13. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 23rd January 2014, 15:34

I’m not going to pass judgement on this circuit until we’ve seen a race there. I’m looking forward to it though!

14. PhilEReid (@philereid) said on 23rd January 2014, 17:15

The first lap could be mega on this track. Long run to the first real corner, and then straight into that U-turn with all of the cars piling in? Then straight into what looks like the fast section followed by the long ‘straight.’ Then there’s the odd looking left hander, which opens up the longer it goes. There are 5 corners I’d like to change though. Something like this:

• PhilEReid (@philereid) said on 23rd January 2014, 17:16

Also, whilst there are a few uninspiring corners, I hope, and think, that it’ll be one of the better new tracks. There’s enough on this track to make it different enough to be exciting I think.

• Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 23rd January 2014, 23:41

@philereid – The first half of that is actually fairly close to the original design (the back half is mostly unchanged), but it was decided that having that long left-hander feed into a fast right-hand flick was perhaps a little bit too bonkers, especially when there is very little room for run-off at that right-hander.

15. Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 23rd January 2014, 18:02

Looks interesting in parts . But apart from the u turn and the curving straights , I don’t think anything should challenge the drivers . Gradient wise sounds so boring . But hey , you can tell one corner from an other one.
    Also interesting is how much strain will be caused on the 2014 cars by running 50 odd laps on that u turn and how much fuel consumption will change ( I remember Barcelona having the highest fuel consumption).