Lotus E22: First pictures

2014 F1 cars

lotus-e22

Here are the first pictures of Lotus’s new contender, the E22, which features a double-pronged nose.

Lotus issued the images via its Twitter account after McLaren revealed its MP4-29.

No further information was issued about the new car, which is expected to make its first track appearance at the second pre-season test at Bahrain on February 19th. It bears the logos of PDVSA, who back new driver Pastor Maldonado, and new sponsor Yotaphone.

2014 F1 cars

Browse all 2014 F1 cars articles

150 comments on Lotus E22: First pictures

1. Slr (@slr) said on 24th January 2014, 12:08

I like the livery, nice one there Lotus. And at least they have tried to make the nose look good, it reminds me somewhat of the “Walrus nose” that Williams once had on their car.

• BJ (@beejis60) said on 24th January 2014, 16:49

Someone said in the last month that Lotus was looking at the walrus nose… I wonder how they knew that and I also wondered how it would work. Now I know.

2. Gebraden Kip (@gebradenkip) said on 24th January 2014, 12:08

Are… are those two sections of the double nose not the same length?!

3. joetoml1n (@joetoml1n) said on 24th January 2014, 12:08

Central pillar on the rear wing, or lighting effect on the inside of endplate?
    Also, I can’t see the exhaust..

4. Paul (@frankjaeger) said on 24th January 2014, 12:08

I’m liking this and really enjoying the regulation change thus far. It really shows a team’s ingenuity when given a set of specification and everyone comes out with a different results.

Let’s hope they work on track

5. Camel hoof?

6. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 24th January 2014, 12:10

I hereby dub this the “barbecue fork”.

7. Miko Järvinen (@miko-jarvinen) said on 24th January 2014, 12:12

To me the nose looks broken and i think the car design is quite lazy, it’s the same from 2013. At least change it little bit.

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 24th January 2014, 12:20

Their car isn’t even ready for the upcoming test so I imagine this drawing is literally just to show off their nose in the hope that people will think “ah – an F1 car that isn’t as ugly as sin! Maybe we’ll sponsor them instead”

I doubt the remaining 99% of the car is much to do with this year’s design.

8. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 24th January 2014, 12:12

Sexy beast :D

9. LESS RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. matt90 (@matt90) said on 24th January 2014, 12:17

I wondered if anybody would go for putting the low point on either side and funnelling the air directly under the middle of the nose, rather than have the air negotiate the wang section.

11. petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 24th January 2014, 12:18

The more I think about this solution (the nose), the more this makes sense. Surely it would direct more air under than with the McLaren/Williams nose?

Is it too late for the rest to go for one of these or is it too much part of the crash structure to be changed now?

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 24th January 2014, 12:23

I don’t know. On the McLaren the front wing supports look fairly wide, so in terms of frontal area which is open and leads under the wing, McLaren might have the same or greater.

12. nemo87 (@nemo87) said on 24th January 2014, 12:19

kill it before it breeds

13. matt90 (@matt90) said on 24th January 2014, 12:20

I also like the livery. Last year it moved far enough away from JPS for me to no longer be offended by it, either as a cynical marketing gimmick or poor relation to the originals. I think this just looks a little smarter than last year.

14. Florin G (@floring) said on 24th January 2014, 12:22

I’m afraid it’s not befitting Romain’s and Pastor’s driving style at all. They’ll get tangled into other cars’ rear ends
    from day one! And good luck extracting their car now!

15. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 24th January 2014, 12:25

I’m a little concerned about safety: ramming a car with such a pointy ‘fork’ nose could be really dangerous no (especially with Maldonado behind the wheel)?

This isn’t the first time I wee a forked nose by the way, remember the Audi R15?