Lotus E22: First pictures

2014 F1 cars

lotus-e22

Here are the first pictures of Lotus’s new contender, the E22, which features a double-pronged nose.

Lotus issued the images via its Twitter account after McLaren revealed its MP4-29.

No further information was issued about the new car, which is expected to make its first track appearance at the second pre-season test at Bahrain on February 19th. It bears the logos of PDVSA, who back new driver Pastor Maldonado, and new sponsor Yotaphone.

2014 F1 cars

Browse all 2014 F1 cars articles

150 comments on Lotus E22: First pictures

1. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 24th January 2014, 12:10

I hereby dub this the “barbecue fork”.

2. Miko-Jarvinen (@miko-jarvinen) said on 24th January 2014, 12:12

To me the nose looks broken and i think the car design is quite lazy, it’s the same from 2013. At least change it little bit.

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 24th January 2014, 12:20

Their car isn’t even ready for the upcoming test so I imagine this drawing is literally just to show off their nose in the hope that people will think “ah – an F1 car that isn’t as ugly as sin! Maybe we’ll sponsor them instead”

I doubt the remaining 99% of the car is much to do with this year’s design.

3. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 24th January 2014, 12:12

Sexy beast :D

4. LESS RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. matt90 (@matt90) said on 24th January 2014, 12:17

I wondered if anybody would go for putting the low point on either side and funnelling the air directly under the middle of the nose, rather than have the air negotiate the wang section.

6. petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 24th January 2014, 12:18

The more I think about this solution (the nose), the more this makes sense. Surely it would direct more air under than with the McLaren/Williams nose?

Is it too late for the rest to go for one of these or is it too much part of the crash structure to be changed now?

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 24th January 2014, 12:23

I don’t know. On the McLaren the front wing supports look fairly wide, so in terms of frontal area which is open and leads under the wing, McLaren might have the same or greater.

7. nemo87 (@nemo87) said on 24th January 2014, 12:19

kill it before it breeds

8. matt90 (@matt90) said on 24th January 2014, 12:20

I also like the livery. Last year it moved far enough away from JPS for me to no longer be offended by it, either as a cynical marketing gimmick or poor relation to the originals. I think this just looks a little smarter than last year.

9. Finn G (@floring) said on 24th January 2014, 12:22

I’m afraid it’s not befitting Romain’s and Pastor’s driving style at all. They’ll get tangled into other cars’ rear ends
    from day one! And good luck extracting their car now!

10. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 24th January 2014, 12:25

I’m a little concerned about safety: ramming a car with such a pointy ‘fork’ nose could be really dangerous no (especially with Maldonado behind the wheel)?

This isn’t the first time I wee a forked nose by the way, remember the Audi R15?

11. a single external cross section of more than 9000mm²

ScarbsF1 posted this on twitter already, but I thought the same thing after reading the regulations: Is this a legal nose?

12. matt90 (@matt90) said on 24th January 2014, 12:30

The real question is whether the front is ‘compatible’ with the Williams or McLaren. Looks like they can mate.

13. Looks a bit like the Williams FW26 nose 2004

14. Alot of you folks are having a laugh and dramatizing the new cars looks, in my view they are not that nice but no horrible either the step nose trend was far worse and looking at other areas of the car the low front end ends up working fine to me I thought I wasn’t going to like it, what I definitely don’t like is the same thing ever since 2009, the front and rear wing ratio the extreme length of the cars since 2010 and the plain smooth overall look of the other areas of the car in many ways featureless which leads to claims that the cars are getting all alike as other rules contribute further to that oddly enough the more restricting rules are the ones that produce more innovative thinking as seen in this Lotus, the car from this angle looks tighter than any of the yet released but more predominately it sports as of now a cool interpretation of the nose which it shouldn’t surprise much as Lotus engineers always have had fun with extreme designs as for example the front facing exhausts the DDRS W shaped rear wing etc.

15. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 24th January 2014, 12:42

Compensating for something, Lotus?

16. lynnduffy (@lynnduffy) said on 24th January 2014, 12:47

I think they’re taking the mickey out if the McLaren…

17. David not Coulthard (@) said on 24th January 2014, 12:50

aaahhh, much better, I guess Lotus knows how they’d struggle to pay the fees for baby cars if their cars were able to reproduce (oops, sorry!).

18. melkurion (@melkurion) said on 24th January 2014, 12:51

AWESOME!!!!

Where is the Microsoft and Total Sponsership though?????? I thought Total was Grosjean’s main backer….?

19. David not Coulthard (@) said on 24th January 2014, 12:51

…Anyway they didn’t go with the Gold-Leaf-plus-Black-front-wing livery, did they?

20. Brian (@bealzbob) said on 24th January 2014, 12:52

Whatever about the nose. That’s an odd looking backend too. It just kinda disappears after the air intake. I think all these teams are playing it very cagey until they hit the testing track. Understandably so, I suppose.