McLaren MP4-29: First pictures

2014 F1 cars

Following a difficult season the McLaren MP4-29 needs to deliver in 2014. Here are the first pictures of McLaren’s new contender.

“We?ve never had such significant new regulations before,” said McLaren managing director Jonathan Neale. “Reacting to them, and managing those changes, while still pushing the performance limits, has been an extremely tough job.”

Neale said the team have taken a “pragmatic” approach to the new regulations. “We know that the need for consistency initially outweighs the need for performance ?ǣ the winter tests won?t be about chasing set-up or refining the car; the envelope of performance is likely to be so wide, and so relatively unknown, that the winter ?ǣ and to some extent the opening races ?ǣ will be about understanding the operational boundaries of the car as best we can.”

“This year, more than ever, will come down to a development race,” he added. “I don?t necessarily think you can expect the car that wins the opening race to be the car that leads the championship charge, something we?ve often seen in the past.”

“No, it will be all about a team?s ability to react and respond. We already have an update package that we?re readying for race one, and we?re discovering new things in the [wind] tunnel, or in CFD, all the time. Once we start track testing, I think you?ll see an intense throughput of ideas and concepts ?ǣ that?s the nitty-gritty that will win or lose the world championship.”

2014 McLaren MP4-29 and 2013 McLaren MP4-28 comparison

McLaren MP4-28 (2013) and MP4-29 (2014), profile

2014 F1 cars

Browse all 2014 F1 cars articles

198 comments on McLaren MP4-29: First pictures

1. D (@f190) said on 24th January 2014, 12:00

It just looks unfinished. The lack of main sponsor gives the impression of it being a “poor car” if that makes sense. It reminds me of the HRT, which is never a good thing. Such a shame Mclaren as usually their cards look pretty good.

2. Gamble said on 24th January 2014, 12:01

These new cars and their new noses are far to phallic of my liking but this is the worst one so far.

• Sharon H (@sharoncom) said on 25th January 2014, 10:51

It’s a real problem from a merchandise point of view. I used have Formula 1 matchbox toys and Scalelextric cars as a child. Whoever would buy their child a modern F1 toy when they look like that?

3. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 24th January 2014, 12:01

Aside from the ‘dripping-snot’ nose, it looks decent.

Seriously, has there been a regulation that says they have to have these disgusting nose cones? Can’t they just gradually become narrower, rather than just having this bulbous blob of cack drooping off the front of their car?

• jh1806 (@jh1806) said on 24th January 2014, 12:20

The rules just mandate a minimum cross section (which is quite small) for the nose beyond a certain point. This is why we see the anteater nose extensions – they’re as small as possible to maximise airflow beneath the car.

4. matt90 (@matt90) said on 24th January 2014, 12:01

From above it look like it’s giving you the finger. I assume this is just a launch livery? Although I like the black wings, it seems silly going for such a similar colour as Mercedes.

• Mads (@mads) said on 24th January 2014, 12:18

@matt90
      I don’t think the colour is any different to the chrome they have had for quite some time now.
      Chrome is entirely dependent on surrounding colours that it can reflect and since the MTC has practically no colours what so ever, it is going to look grey and dull.

5. Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 24th January 2014, 12:02

The anteater nose even has a mouth!

6. Calum (@calum) said on 24th January 2014, 12:02

That is absolutely horrendous. These noses are absolutely ridiculous. Even worse than step-noses.

7. I didn’t think you were allowed any bodywork forward of the front wing?

8. Roald (@roald) said on 24th January 2014, 12:02

It looks agressive and I like it. The first 2012 car to be reveiled, the Caterham, was MUCH worse to me. I don’t mind this one.

9. RoboCAT (@robocat) said on 24th January 2014, 12:02

I think it looks badass. It’s different and I really like it. Mclaren clearly having a much bigger penis than Williams.

10. petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 24th January 2014, 12:03

HAHAHA!!! WHAT!? Ok so I was right yesterday then when people were saying the new regs werent as bad as they thought having seen 1 car and I suggested to wait until we see the rest. I don’t even know what to say about the front end of that. It’s.. well… umm… hahahaha!!!!!!

11. Alec (@vonhoff) said on 24th January 2014, 12:03

is it just me or are the sidepods MASSIVE ?

12. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 24th January 2014, 12:03

The nose was expected so better get used to it guys. As far as I am concerned, I quite like it!

13. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 24th January 2014, 12:04

It looks like the thing which crawls from under my bed every night. Now I’m afraid Red Bull’s gonna have wings and teeth.

14. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 24th January 2014, 12:04

I kinda like it, with the narrower front wing, the car looks less like a vacuum cleaner than the 2009-2013 cars. They should reduce the width of the front wing even further and increase the width of the rear wing.

If they could sort that nose out for 2015, we’ll really have a beautiful car!

Sad they didn’t go for an orange livery though.

15. Slr (@slr) said on 24th January 2014, 12:05

That nose looks horrendous. As far as the livery goes, this video sums up my feeling of it.