New Ferrari named F14 T by fans vote

2014 F1 season

Ferrari F138 launch, 2013Ferrari have confirmed their new F1 car will be called the F14 T following a poll on its website.

The name was chosen by 32.9% of the 1.1 million fans who voted in the poll. The runner-up choice of F166 Turbo attracted 31.2% of the vote, with the rest split between F14 Scuderia, F14 Maranello and F616.

The Ferrari F14 T is set to be launched tomorrow. It will be the team’s first car powered by a V6 turbo engine since the F1/87-88C used in the 1988 season.

“The amazing number of votes shows just how popular Ferrari has always been and this will be, as always, a further impetus for us to do well this year,” said team principal Stefano Domenicali.

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?é?® Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

54 comments on New Ferrari named F14 T by fans vote

1. disjunto (@disjunto) said on 24th January 2014, 11:38

Fiat was just the best choice!

2. Argh, I was in favour of the F166 Turbo, just because the F14 T first sounded to my hear as a Ford T!

• Jake (@jakehardyf1) said on 24th January 2014, 12:10

Me too. F14T was too simple. I like the sound of F166 TURBOOOO

• I was too in favour of something with 6 though my favourite was f161 but F14 T is reminiscent of other Ferraris in the past at least hasn’t got “TURBO” written anywhere how childish and somewhat Renault reminiscent Fiat works well with everyone.

3. Mashiat (@) said on 24th January 2014, 11:39

The name I voted for. Must say though, I kindda hoped for better like F166 Turbo to be the one.

4. andae23 (@andae23) said on 24th January 2014, 11:41

Rubbish! LaDave it is.

5. Mashiat (@) said on 24th January 2014, 11:42

I think that the Ferrari with the new p***s noses will look better than most. The Red Bull’ll probably be pretty bad as it is a different color to the rest of the car. Can’t wait for the McLaren launch. 15 minutes baby!

6. Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 24th January 2014, 11:42

Obviously this was rigged! People think its a coincidence that it reads FIAT!

7. Mashiat (@) said on 24th January 2014, 11:43

I think that the Ferrari with the new ‘private’ noses will look better than most. The Red Bull’ll probably be pretty bad as it is a different color to the rest of the car. Can’t wait for the McLaren launch. 15 minutes baby!

8. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 24th January 2014, 11:44

Am I the only one that doesn’t give a damn about the name of cars?

9. Mashiat (@) said on 24th January 2014, 11:46

LaF14T. LaSo LaBetter Lathan LaFerrari LaF616. Lahalahalalahalahalahala

10. petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 24th January 2014, 11:50

hahaha!!!!! What a rediculous name… Here comes Alonso in the Fiat. :D

That’s what happens when you let non-Ferrari fans vote for the name of the Ferrari.

11. Johan said on 24th January 2014, 12:01

F14 T = FIAT !!!! :D

12. Paul (@frankjaeger) said on 24th January 2014, 12:05

Brilliant, how humiliating

13. MistaWu said on 24th January 2014, 12:09

So, the IceMAn in a F14 Tomcat.. aweseome!

14. deanmachine (@deanmachine) said on 24th January 2014, 12:20

I picked F166 Turbo because it links in with old Ferrari naming convention as the 458 Italia does. 1.6 litres, 6 cylinders. But whatever, Ferrari doesn’t really like sticking to the convention itself.

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 24th January 2014, 12:35

@deanmachine – exactly. Someone mentioned it when the names were first suggested a while ago. Previously they had the 312T. The T stood for ‘transverse’ and related to the way the gearbox was mounted.

It’s probably just me being a bit OCD about it but I like for these things to all make sense so that when you see a T on a Ferrari, you know what it means.

F14T just feels like a gimmick… I suppose that makes it perfect for modern day F1!

• these are different from 458 kind of naming convention cause, you need a name every year, what are you going to call it next year ? f166/2 turbo ??, i like F14 T which has year in it, and is kind of industry standard to suffix turbo cars with “T”, i like it :)

15. I mentioned this before but don’t feel i got enough credit:

If this year’s Ferrari is called the F14T, next year’s Ferrari has to be called the F15T

;)

• Chris said on 25th January 2014, 21:05

Exactly! It’s all about what they’re gonna call next years car. They’ll still be running the 1.4L turbo haha. Soooo maybe the F14 T2 – terminator edition??

16. The Blade Runner (@thebladerunner) said on 24th January 2014, 12:33

Maybe they should have called it the “Ferrari Phallus”…

We’ll know when we see the pictures

17. Mads (@mads) said on 24th January 2014, 12:40

Meh.. overall the names to choose from were incredibly uninspiring.
    F14T = FIAT.
    I think 166 Turbo was okay, apart from the Turbo part. What is this? A cleaning product from the late 80’s?
    F14 Scuderia… meh.. might as well just be F14.
    Same story with F14 Maranello.
    F616 is okay I think.
    I would have liked if they had brought back the old ‘C designation from the 80’s.
    I think that is a little more unique. Instead of the standard T used on practically anything.
    F14C for instance. But then it wouldn’t read FIAT, which was probably the point, so..

18. David not Coulthard (@) said on 24th January 2014, 13:15

And Kimi Raikkonen, who doesn’t care about the old saying “You don’t win an F1 race in a Fiat Panda”, is leading the race and driving a FI4T….Panda?

19. celler (@celler) said on 24th January 2014, 16:42

“T” stands for “Top Gun”? They have the Iceman and Maverick (or should it be Goose?) so they needed the F14’s for battle