Ecclestone sceptical about Haas F1 team bid

F1 Fanatic Round-up

In the round-up: Bernie Ecclestone doubts Gene Haas’s F1 team bid will make it into Formula One.

Thanks

Yesterday was one of the busiest days ever on F1 Fanatic. At one point the number of simultaneous visitors to the site was 80% higher than the previous peak recorded last year.

Had those levels of traffic occurred 12 months ago there is no question the old server would have buckled under the strain. But we’ve upgraded to a new server since then – the increased cost of which has so far been largely paid for by F1 Fanatic readers – and it coped superbly. There was no sign of any loss of performance, which hopefully bodes well for the future.

So I would like to once again say thanks to everyone who has contributed to F1 Fanatic either by becoming a subscriber (through which you can also view the site ad-free) or making a donation – and in some cases both! Your support is deeply appreciated.

If you would like to contribute to F1 Fanatic you can find out more information here:

Links

Bernie Ecclestone, 2013Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Ecclestone casts doubt on American team joining F1 (Racer)

“The FIA is not introducing a new team, the team is asking for an entry. Somebody has asked, ‘Can we have an entry.’ I doubt they will get in.”

Cosworth reveals 2014 F1 power unit (Racecar Engineering)

“The English company started work on a 2014 engine as long ago as 2010, when the regulations stipulated an I4 layout at the behest of Volkswagen.”

Eric Boullier set to be McLaren team principal after Lotus resignation (The Guardian)

“It is understood, though, that the choice of Boullier would principally have been made by the Bahrain royal family’s Mumtalakat investment company, which owns 50% of the group. Dennis and his business partner Mansour Ojjeh each own 25%. Boullier is well connected in Bahrain, where he has been involved in a number of sponsorship negotiations.”

German court orders Google to block Max Mosley sex party images (the Independent)

“A German court has ruled today that Google must block all access in the country to images of a sadomasochistic orgy involving the former Formula One boss Max Mosley.”

Winter drama changing the face of F1 (Autosport, subscription required)

“Where fans hoped the daft decision to award double points for the season finale would be rescinded, sources advise that Ecclestone brooked no discussion, stating it would be tried this year, full stop.”

F1 2014: Finger Noses (ScarbsF1)

“To make a nose ideally suited to the 2014 rules, it needs to raise as much of the nose shape out of the way of the airflow passing under the raised chassis. However the nose still needs to form the low tip and of the right cross section. While to meet the crash tests the nose shouldn?t be too short or hooked and maintaining the minimum cross section is not as crash-able as nose that tapers outwards towards the chassis.”

Welcome to F1 2014… (Mercedes via YouTube)

Official Launch Video: McLaren Mercedes MP4-29 (McLaren via YouTube)

FIA?s new Logistic and Technical Centre opened in Valleiry (FIA)

As well as providing much-needed office space for logistics and technical personnel, which will allow them to better co-ordinate the federation?s presence at motorsport events worldwide, the facility will also house all the support vehicles and equipment the FIA regularly sends to events. This includes the radio and weather vehicle, two catering trucks and the two technical trucks that attend each Formula One Grand Prix in Europe as well equipment and vehicles used in the World Rally Championship, World Touring Car Championship and in the World Karting Championships.

James Hunt Goes Testing (F1 Speedwriter)

“As the medical men ran over to see what could be done for the driver Niki noticed there didn’t seem to be any damage to the car and when he came closer Teddy Mayer was leaning over the slumped figure in the cockpit. ‘James’, said Teddy, ‘I think you’d better go back to the hotel and sleep it off.'”

Tweets

Comment of the day

The problem with this year’s cars in a nutshell.

I remember when I used to use F1 car launches to change my desktop background.
@Deanmachine

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Mouse_Nightshirt, Taimur, Dylan Lopez and Dylan Lopez!

On this day in F1

Happy birthday to Johnny Cecotto who is 58 today.

Cecotto was the second Venezuelan driver to qualify for an F1 race, following Ettore Chimeri’s single start in 1960. Pastor Maldonado is his only successor to date.

Cecotto had a successful career in motorbike racing before switching to cars. He made his F1 debut with Theodore in 1983 and the following year was Ayrton Senna’s team mate at Toleman.

Unsurprisingly he was eclipsed by Senna’s stunning talent, a ninth place in Canada his only finish before his season was curtailed by a dreadful crash in practice at Brands Hatch which ended his F1 career.

He had a successful subsequent career in touring cars, winning the Italian championship in 1989 and Germany’s Supertourenwagen Cup in 1994 and 1998, all with BMW. He has also helped guide the career of son Johnny Cecotto Jnr.

Image ?? Jamey Price/James Moy Photography

58 comments on Ecclestone sceptical about Haas F1 team bid

1. OmarR-Pepper (@omarr-pepper) said on 25th January 2014, 0:07

That Lotus interpretation of the rules shows me how wide the possible ways to elaborate on the rules are. The rules were clear about just one tip, so they decided to make one longer than the other. Ugly but clever.

2. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 25th January 2014, 0:09

Perhaps we can take some solace in Ecclestone saying double points will be *tried* this year. It is not going to become a permanent fixture just yet, and if it falters, there is always the option of forgetting about it next year.

• Robbie said on 25th January 2014, 13:26

Perhaps you are right. Seems like millions upon millions, including the teams, hope you are. It all comes down to viewership. Some fans have said they are done with F1. I suspect whatever number of fans that might be will be overwhelmed initially by a healthy number viewing out of curiosity over the new regs.

Then it will come down to how the product is on the track…how processional or not…how DRS’y or not…how lottery or not…how ‘gatey’ or not. If one team, particularly RBR, runs away with it and wins with 4 races to go, BE will push for 3 double points races. If 2 or 3 drivers have a shot with one race to go, even without the double points available, then BE’s case for it is weakened.

Ultimately the fans will decide. If they truly can’t stand the manufactured ending to the season, and the diminishing of all the other races’ importance, then the lack of viewership will speak volumes to BE, especially if it means the major reg changes didn’t help the numbers ultimately, but the double points hurt doubly.

• cjpdk (@cjpdk) said on 25th January 2014, 21:14

@prisoner-monkeys Was the same not said about DRS?

• Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 26th January 2014, 10:02

@prisoner-monkeys Don’t worry. When Vettel snatches the title at the final race from Alonso due to the double points system, the ensuing backlash from fans will be enough to kill double points forever.

• Robbie said on 27th January 2014, 1:33

Lol…pretty much BE’s nightmare, huh…Vettel taking it from FA, or what if it was LH’s to lose and SV took it….Either someone who had the edge already is going to win it, or someone is going to get robbed in 2014.

3. Bleeps_and_Tweaks (@bleeps_and_tweaks) said on 25th January 2014, 0:14

COTD is priceless! I had exactly the same thought today thinking back to the MP4-26 launch with the incredible U-shaped side pods. The MP4-29 though…oh dear. Interesting stuff from Scarbs as well, that the bigger teams may be investigating a blunt shorter nose that we might see later in the season.
    Lets hope that Mercedes and Ferrari have gone against the first four teams and opted for something less…mammalian.

4. Meander (@meander) said on 25th January 2014, 0:17

After some consideration, I have decided that, even though I can’t get used to the silly noses (yet?), the cars look pretty stunning so far. I really like the new shapes and liveries so far and can’t wait to see them move.

5. bull mello (@bullmello) said on 25th January 2014, 0:23

Random thoughts…

Ecclestone sceptical about Haas F1 team bid

• Haas team sceptical about Ecclestone bid to stay in F1

COTD
    (The problem with this year’s cars in a nutshell.)
    I remember when I used to use F1 car launches to change my desktop background.
    @Deanmachine

• This is hereby declared the year of the snout.

Which is more embarrassing to the FIA?
    • The poorly thought out snout nose regulations?
    • Or, the demeaning double points debacle?

Boullier to McLaren. Brawn to __________?
    • Honda?
    • HaasF1?
    • Replace Ecclestone?

• Robbie said on 25th January 2014, 13:41

Haas sceptical about F1’s inability to control costs and knee-jerk double points rules with the threat of even more of that, while at the same time the fox (Ferrari) is in charge of the hen house.

Brawn to Honda? I can see that.
      Brawn to Haas? Why would he?
      Brawn to replace BE? That’s gonna take billions, no? It’s not like he can be unelected, like the head of FIA could. Or am I wrong…can’t say I’m intimate with the reality of how the next ‘BE’ will be determined.

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 25th January 2014, 16:47

Brawn to Haas? Why would he?

The challenge?

This is my pipe dream, that somebody with real firsthand knowledge of how F1 should be and could be run eventually take over when Bernie is out. Brawn is the one name that comes to mind. Details of how to make it happen are out of my realm. Like I said, this my pipe dream…

6. Tomsk (@tomsk) said on 25th January 2014, 0:41

I hope Bottas gets that whole strip of stickers going down the nose of the car! That’d look great.

That piece about Bernie is rubbish. Just a single soundbite and a load of padding, typical of its author attempting to get a reaction from the shrivelled crook’s increasingly eccentric rantings.

7. SD (@sd) said on 25th January 2014, 1:11

We humans r always resistant to change. The same with F1 fans; we r always skeptical about new cars and designs. We dint like the new cars in 2009, we dint like them with the stepped noses, we r not liking them now. but what we are not considering is how much thought and effort went into getting that nose right. The focus of an average F1 fan is tending towards how good the cars look and sound, not how the rules have been interpreted to get the maximum out of it. It makes me sad to see there are so many comments about the ugly noses but no one takes about the wings, the diffusers, the engines etc. The opinions and views of an average fan seems to be very shallow and that is not a very good sign.

• Ciaran (@ciaran) said on 25th January 2014, 2:44

@sd Couldn’t agree more. And it gets worse when people complain about innovations, then complain even louder when they get taken away – see the winglets on the 2008 cars as an example. It probably doesn’t help that most COTDs on this site seem to be complaining about something, I’d imagine it doesn’t leave a good impression on many fans.

• Kelsier (@kelsier) said on 25th January 2014, 4:10

The problem people have with the noses is that its just a clumsy formulation in the regulations that made them that way.

Nobody ever thought: “Hey lets make an F1 car with a snout because thats the best way to make F1 cars”.

• Mads (@mads) said on 25th January 2014, 11:43

@sd
      I don’t think I have seen ANYONE complain about what the teams are doing. The complains are about the shape of the noses, and that is because the FIA made a rule change and didn’t bother to make sure the cars didn’t end up looking like god knows what. that is the problem.

8. schooner (@schooner) said on 25th January 2014, 1:24

The Mercedes sound bite reminded me of Indy car. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I will miss the ear piercing howl of those high revving, naturally aspirated V8s. For anyone who gets the chance, I highly recommend attending an event where there is a good collection of historic F1 cars participating. Listening to (and watching, of course) that amazing collection of V8s, V10s, flat 12s, turbos, etc., on track at the same time … it truly is an internal combustion symphony.

9. Todd (@braketurnaccelerate) said on 25th January 2014, 1:43

I have to say, it will be bitter-sweet for me to see the day that Ecclestone has to relinquish control of F1. Every time he speaks to the media, it’s about something negative. We only want 10 teams, we’re going to do double-points, Haas F1 isn’t going to happen, etc. It’s annoying to see how much of a negative outlook this guy has. For the leader of a multi-billion dollar company, I’ve never seen anyone so negative!

• obviously said on 25th January 2014, 3:27

If you were a crooked thief who, at the end of his life, realized he can’t take his wealth with him in to the grave, and all you are leaving behind are two horrible brats that won’t amount to anything in their life but vanity and reality shows, and that your ex wife, just as shallow and cold, won’t miss you at all, that’s when you realize you don’t have much to be happy about.

Money is worthless if you don’t have anything worthier in life.

10. Paul (@frankjaeger) said on 25th January 2014, 1:51

I, as many others could see the impact John Button’s death has had on his son; It was unusual seeing Jenson so uncollected and absent. I sincerely wish him all the best and hope he stays strong.

On another note, I would like to say Thank You, Keith.

I am sure I wouldn’t have been such an avid follower of F1 if it wasn’t for this site. It really has helped cement my interest for the sport.

11. On Cosworth, it seems so wasteful that they have gone to all the resource to develop an engine for Formula One…only for it not to see use. I do hope they find customers (perhaps in the WEC) because they are a great company who of course (in partnership with Ford) created the most successful engine of all time.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 26th January 2014, 17:20

Yeah, I think Cosworth is looking at supplying it to a WEC team, although who knows, maybe they will be back in F1 not too far from now too. For an engineering company its probably a must to show that they have the capacity to do such an engine, if they want to stay in the picture for F1 and top level motorsports.

12. Yaya Ishaq (@ferrari_412t) said on 25th January 2014, 2:17

Getting a bit bored of the negativity surrounding the new cars to be honest. I personally like the sleek and simple designs. Sure the noses look odd but at least different teams have taken different approaches to their application which can’t be a bad thing in terms of variety. I would take these any day in comparison to the stepped noses of 2012.

Can’t wait to see them in action. The sound shouldn’t be a problem either.

13. David not Coulthard (@) said on 25th January 2014, 3:45

will we see a Haas-Cosworth (for those who like gossips: The source of the question is one of my brain cells – no reliable sources or anything like that)?

14. Kelsier (@kelsier) said on 25th January 2014, 4:05

“I doubt they get in” = I’ll make sure they don’t get in.

15. Stroked & Blown said on 25th January 2014, 4:15

Wonder what Seb is going to call this year’s car…
    Beth’s horny brother?