Ecclestone sceptical about Haas F1 team bid

F1 Fanatic Round-up

In the round-up: Bernie Ecclestone doubts Gene Haas’s F1 team bid will make it into Formula One.

Thanks

Yesterday was one of the busiest days ever on F1 Fanatic. At one point the number of simultaneous visitors to the site was 80% higher than the previous peak recorded last year.

Had those levels of traffic occurred 12 months ago there is no question the old server would have buckled under the strain. But we’ve upgraded to a new server since then – the increased cost of which has so far been largely paid for by F1 Fanatic readers – and it coped superbly. There was no sign of any loss of performance, which hopefully bodes well for the future.

So I would like to once again say thanks to everyone who has contributed to F1 Fanatic either by becoming a subscriber (through which you can also view the site ad-free) or making a donation – and in some cases both! Your support is deeply appreciated.

If you would like to contribute to F1 Fanatic you can find out more information here:

Links

Bernie Ecclestone, 2013Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Ecclestone casts doubt on American team joining F1 (Racer)

“The FIA is not introducing a new team, the team is asking for an entry. Somebody has asked, ‘Can we have an entry.’ I doubt they will get in.”

Cosworth reveals 2014 F1 power unit (Racecar Engineering)

“The English company started work on a 2014 engine as long ago as 2010, when the regulations stipulated an I4 layout at the behest of Volkswagen.”

Eric Boullier set to be McLaren team principal after Lotus resignation (The Guardian)

“It is understood, though, that the choice of Boullier would principally have been made by the Bahrain royal family’s Mumtalakat investment company, which owns 50% of the group. Dennis and his business partner Mansour Ojjeh each own 25%. Boullier is well connected in Bahrain, where he has been involved in a number of sponsorship negotiations.”

German court orders Google to block Max Mosley sex party images (the Independent)

“A German court has ruled today that Google must block all access in the country to images of a sadomasochistic orgy involving the former Formula One boss Max Mosley.”

Winter drama changing the face of F1 (Autosport, subscription required)

“Where fans hoped the daft decision to award double points for the season finale would be rescinded, sources advise that Ecclestone brooked no discussion, stating it would be tried this year, full stop.”

F1 2014: Finger Noses (ScarbsF1)

“To make a nose ideally suited to the 2014 rules, it needs to raise as much of the nose shape out of the way of the airflow passing under the raised chassis. However the nose still needs to form the low tip and of the right cross section. While to meet the crash tests the nose shouldn?t be too short or hooked and maintaining the minimum cross section is not as crash-able as nose that tapers outwards towards the chassis.”

Welcome to F1 2014… (Mercedes via YouTube)

Official Launch Video: McLaren Mercedes MP4-29 (McLaren via YouTube)

FIA?s new Logistic and Technical Centre opened in Valleiry (FIA)

As well as providing much-needed office space for logistics and technical personnel, which will allow them to better co-ordinate the federation?s presence at motorsport events worldwide, the facility will also house all the support vehicles and equipment the FIA regularly sends to events. This includes the radio and weather vehicle, two catering trucks and the two technical trucks that attend each Formula One Grand Prix in Europe as well equipment and vehicles used in the World Rally Championship, World Touring Car Championship and in the World Karting Championships.

James Hunt Goes Testing (F1 Speedwriter)

“As the medical men ran over to see what could be done for the driver Niki noticed there didn’t seem to be any damage to the car and when he came closer Teddy Mayer was leaning over the slumped figure in the cockpit. ‘James’, said Teddy, ‘I think you’d better go back to the hotel and sleep it off.’”

Tweets

Comment of the day

The problem with this year’s cars in a nutshell.

I remember when I used to use F1 car launches to change my desktop background.
@Deanmachine

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Mouse_Nightshirt, Taimur, Dylan Lopez and Dylan Lopez!

On this day in F1

Happy birthday to Johnny Cecotto who is 58 today.

Cecotto was the second Venezuelan driver to qualify for an F1 race, following Ettore Chimeri’s single start in 1960. Pastor Maldonado is his only successor to date.

Cecotto had a successful career in motorbike racing before switching to cars. He made his F1 debut with Theodore in 1983 and the following year was Ayrton Senna’s team mate at Toleman.

Unsurprisingly he was eclipsed by Senna’s stunning talent, a ninth place in Canada his only finish before his season was curtailed by a dreadful crash in practice at Brands Hatch which ended his F1 career.

He had a successful subsequent career in touring cars, winning the Italian championship in 1989 and Germany’s Supertourenwagen Cup in 1994 and 1998, all with BMW. He has also helped guide the career of son Johnny Cecotto Jnr.

Image ?? Jamey Price/James Moy Photography

58 comments on Ecclestone sceptical about Haas F1 team bid

1. bull mello (@bullmello) said on 25th January 2014, 5:29

The best news of the day is that 2014 F1 cars are beginning to be fired up and put through some of their paces. Soon they will be driven in anger, wheel to wheel. When the lights go off in Melbourne a lot of the doubts and hype will fall away and the racing will be what matters most. At this point there is hope for a season full of expectations and pleasant uncertainties even though now there are more questions than answers. But we know one thing for sure, 2014 will be different.

2. obviously said on 25th January 2014, 6:18

Why does everyone moan so much about how they look? Ok, it’s not a dream, but after you see it and have an initial reaction, why not just get over it and forget about it after 5 minutes? It’s not that big deal really.

3. Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 25th January 2014, 7:24

I hope that Ecclestone article is a piece of rubbish as I would love to see Haas in F1, they have got the facilities for it. I hope that Ecclestone isn’t still going on about the whole ’10 teams’ idea and that is why ‘he’ is resisting.

Get rid of him…

4. Jaanus (@jaanusl) said on 25th January 2014, 8:05

So I guess we all agree, “Bernie, go home. You are drunk.”

5. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 25th January 2014, 9:44

On COTD: take a picture taken from the back of the car …

6. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 25th January 2014, 9:48

I suppose I’d be branded a heretic for saying that I actually prefer the sound of the V6 to the old V8. I found that with all the teams fundamentally gearing and mapping the old V8s in the same fashion, the noise was growing rather stale. A new soundtrack, and a fabulous one at that, really does audibly announce the fact that we’re heading into a new era. I am very chuffed…

On a secondary note, I can only doff my cap to you Keith. I have an app on my phone, Newsify, which uses various RSS feeds to give me news, and F1Fanatic was always the first to upload pictures from the launches. F1Fanatic has already established itself as the home of F1 discussion, and now it is the home of F1 news too.

• @william-brierty I guess I am a heretic too! The lower frequency sound produced by the lower revs and fewer cyclinders make the cars sound less forced (ironically, considering they are forced induction engines) – the V8 cars sounded rather like lynxs trying to be lions, whereas the V6′s are lions.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 25th January 2014, 11:39

@vettel1

I love that! And its true, Max. Towards the end of the V8 era, the engineers where so utterly optimizing the engines, that the sound was fairly uniformed across the field. However, with these new engines we will have teams operating their engines with massively different philosophies, or at least initially. The Mercedes has something of a petrol LMP1 car about it, and reminds be of the Toyota TS030 of last year, whereas the Renault of the Caterham is a little less deep in terms of pitch, and much more shrill at higher revs than the Mercedes. That means in 2013 I will be able to pull the same trick I did on the Friday of the 2004 British GP, where I lent up against the inside of the pit wall, facing away from the track (I had a pit pass, I was a guest of McLaren – my friend was a press officer for them) before saying “Ferrari…Toyota…Williams…Jordan…McLaren…BAR…” as they went past, as the McLaren engineers looked at me with utterly astonishment…

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 25th January 2014, 11:41

*That means in 2014

• @william-brierty I assume you scored 100% in your little test? ;) What a great F1 party trick though, I may test myself on that one if I manage to get to a Grand Prix this year!

The interesting one for me is the Ferrari – will it sound anything like the supposed Formula One engine in the LaFerrari chassis we saw? Also, I wonder how engine sound will correlate to performance – hopefully it’s a positive trend!

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 25th January 2014, 13:26

@vettel1 – Yes, 100%, but it was not possible when I tried it at Spa last year. The only decipherable features were the deeper sounding downshifts of the Mercedes-engined cars, the wail of the Ferrari engine at high revs and obviously the RB9 cutting four cylinders. I’ll give it a go this year at the grands prix I’m going to, I bet it’ll be easier…

Yes, Ferrari will be interesting, a) in that they have an illustrious history in engine development with the 2006 V8 in the 248 F1 allowing Ferrari to challenge the mechanically and aerodynamically superior R26, b) in that they are reportedly lagging behind Renault and Mercedes in terms of development and c), Montezemelo said some months back that V6s aren’t in Ferrari’s “culture”. Regarding the LaFerrari, yes, it essentially has two F1 V6s pushed together in it, albeit with a KERS system not an ERS system.

7. I wonder how long it will take before some erotic toy company comes up with F1-related vibrator line.

8. anonymouscoward (@anonymouscoward) said on 25th January 2014, 10:17

When i heard Ron was returning i thought that finally Whitmarsh would be removed as team principle, what i didn’t expect was to be replacing him with the team principle i admire less :(

9. Not much notice of Boullier to McLaren in the comments? Rather surprising as I (personally) find that to be by far the most interesting story above. I am aware it broke sometime yesterday but apparently Dennis has been against a lot of Whitmarsh’s decisions of late.

Several times during the season Dennis advised Whitmarsh to scrap the 2013 contender and return to MP27. He also wanted Perez to stay (solely because of his sponsors) while finding a different seat for Magnussen for 2014. Whitmarsh refused the first point while trying to oblige to the second one which fell apart when Force India walked away from the agreement.

The internal turmoil this close to the season opener sounds like a pretty bad start to me. The fact that Button was already officially welcoming Dennis back almost just hours before Boullier was announced seems like nobody knows what is really going on or what the new intentions are. It will cause a lot of people to feel uncertain and even if it can cause some to increase performance I think the timing is pretty bad right when everything needs to come together for the new season.

Personally I would trust Whitmarsh over Dennis any day and without knowing what else goes on behind the scenes I doubt that the actual replacement of principal will move the team forward. Clearly the design efforts of MP28 were not up to par and if the design team couldn’t even find any real causes; well, that’s where I would have cracked the whip instead!

Now the team suddenly find themselves with a principal who was mainly so successful with Lotus because of a top designer and a top driver that were both above the budget he had available. Is that really going to help? To me it looks like another erratic overreaction from a frustrated Dennis.

Ripples are not going to make the team ship sail any faster.

10. Force Maikel (@force-maikel) said on 25th January 2014, 10:56

When was Bernie not sceptical about something that didn’t involve filling his pockets?

11. Obi-Spa Kenobi (@obi-spa-kenobi) said on 25th January 2014, 16:15

Given the state of things, and a need for F1 to grow its awareness in the US, you would think little Bernie would be more positive at the possibility of a US run team.

12. matt90 (@matt90) said on 25th January 2014, 17:34

As most in F1 would say, they tend to look beautiful when they win.

That wasn’t the case in 2012.