Ferrari F14 T: First pictures

2014 F1 cars

Ferrari F14 T

The Ferrari F14 T has been revealed for the first time by the team. Ferrari hope to win their first world championship in six years with their 2014 contender.

Ferrari have retained pull-rod suspension front and rear on the car, but the F14 T is otherwise very different from its predecessor, largely due to the changes in the technical rules for 2014.

The name for the new car was chosen by a public vote of over one million Ferrari fans.

2014 F1 cars

Browse all 2014 F1 cars articles

Images ?é?® Ferrari/Ercole Colombo

220 comments on Ferrari F14 T: First pictures

1 2 3 8
  1. Aditya F. Yahya (@adityafakhri) said on 25th January 2014, 13:29

Kimi and Fernando will be driving a car with a vacuum cleaner nose!

2. Neel Jani (@neelv27) said on 25th January 2014, 13:29

Ah! A better version for 2014 at least

3. Chris (@tophercheese21) said on 25th January 2014, 13:29

Actually looks decent!

Reminds me a bit of a vacuum cleaner nozzle, but Atleast it’s prettier than the Mclaren and Lotus.

• I would put a bet on Ferrari changing to a mac later or lotus style nose later on as this design does not seem to allow nearly as much air flow to the underside of the car as other designs.

4. special! not too bad actually :-)

• Jon (@patomilan) said on 25th January 2014, 14:08

Special is definitely the adequate word. I’m enjoying the variety these rule changes are bringing but why couldn’t they have this nose but without the dramatic drop before it… I’m guessing we will not be seeing any good looking cars this year…

5. WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 25th January 2014, 13:31

I actually think it looks quite cool! And yes, I have indeed lost my mind…

• I actually agree with you on this one! Yes, with YOU!?!) Lol

I think it looks quite bullish and I honestly never found the high noses very harmonic at all.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 25th January 2014, 18:33

@poul Wow, you agree with me? Careful, you might make the sun die prematurely! And yes, reports fresh in, it is snowing in hell…

I completely agree, I actually hated the high noses of chassis like the F138, FW35 and STR8. Now whilst it’s a stretch to say that this is an improvement, I don’t think it is worse…

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 25th January 2014, 16:40

I find it not as jarring as some of the other designs we have seen so far.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 25th January 2014, 18:34

@bullmello – Yes, it is not as bad as the MP4-29 and especially the HORRENDOUS E22…

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 25th January 2014, 19:00

@william-brierty – One thing I like about the F14 T is that it does not have a protruding snout. Something looks really wrong about the snouts that extend so far out beyond the front wing. Particularly, so far, the MP4-29.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 25th January 2014, 20:28

@bullmello – Yes, the MP4-29 definitely has the worst iteration of the “anteater nose”, but I think that is in part redeemed by the fact that the rest of the car is thoroughly aesthetic and very similar to the MP4-27 – the car I thought was the best looking of the hideous “wide front wing and tall rear wing” era.

• bull mello (@bullmello) said on 26th January 2014, 2:08

@william-brierty – I concur, the rest of the MP4-29 is to me the best looking car we have seen so far. Even the grey color looks nice to me, though others don’t seem to be so fond of it.

We tend to be critical of our current cars, but at least none of them have 6 wheels or other even more bizarre features seen in the past.

• Robbie said on 26th January 2014, 2:17

Yeah, after I picked myself up off the floor, I decided that I liked that it put me on the floor, and I kinda don’t mind it…I think…it does look odd but I find it also looks striking, like Ferrari road cars do, and it looks fast, and powerful, and intimidating. Maybe seeing it in action will decide it for me. I sure like all the cars from the side, but I really only like the Ferrari and the Williams (rendering) so far.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 26th January 2014, 13:27

@bullmello – I really don’t think it will take too long to get used to the new look. Without their noses, the MP4-29 and FW36 would be beautiful racing cars, and the F14 T is perfectly palatable. The only problem is the E22, or the walrus, as I shall dub it, but still, at least we are seeing design variation. Also, at least we haven’t seen a car ugly enough to trigger an involuntary projectile vomit like the FW26, yet…

6. Nick Jarvis (@nickj95gb) said on 25th January 2014, 13:31

Extremely fat sidepods.
    This could be an extremely mad year. This could be the fastest, or the slowest car by an absolute mile.

7. Colossal Squid (@colossal-squid) said on 25th January 2014, 13:31

I hope Ferrari haven’t missed a trick by not having an Aardvark nose…there’s a lot riding on the F14 T being competitive. Here’s hoping it’s fast even if it isn’t that pretty!

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 25th January 2014, 14:22

@colossal-squid – My thoughts exactly. Even though I like the look actually, the fact that Ferrari haven’t gone for an “anteater nose” is somewhat concerning, especially with the nose set to be a pivotal area of division for the teams with the FW36, MP4-29 and E22 all addressing it differently. That said, we all thought McLaren had missed a trick in 2012 by not going with a nose step, and what happened? The MP4-27 turned out to be the fastest car of the season.

• MattDS said on 25th January 2014, 22:09

McLaren really did miss a trick with the MP4-27. By the time we got to the fifth grand prix they changed the nose completely, making it a lot higher.
        The problem for McLaren was hanging on to the low chassis for too long. The low chassis wasn’t as dependant on the high nose as the high chassis design was. But the high chassis was the right design for the previous rule set. McLaren admitted as such by abandoning the low chassis for 2013. They had exploited all of it and would be hard pressed to make it faster for 2013 (while all other teams did turn up with faster cars) so they went the high chassis route. Of course we saw how that went for them but that had more to do with them lagging the others a few years.

TL;DR the MP4-27 was the fastest but it was developed to the extreme and didn’t have anything left to improve on for 2013. High chassis and thus stepped noses were the definitive best solution for the 2012-2013 rules.

8. craig-o (@craig-o) said on 25th January 2014, 13:32

Ladies and gentlemen, the world’s first V6 Turbo Vacuum Cleaner!

9. MNM101 (@mnm101) said on 25th January 2014, 13:32

Never thought the penis noses would actually look good compared to something, guess I was wrong

10. hunocsi (@hunocsi) said on 25th January 2014, 13:32

That’s hysterically ugly! I hope everyone who criticised the McLaren will now rethink.

11. sozavele (@formula-1) said on 25th January 2014, 13:33

Prefer the McLaren! This just looks weird in my opinion!

12. PhilEReid (@philereid) said on 25th January 2014, 13:33

It is essentially like last years car has melted.

13. HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 25th January 2014, 13:33

The ugliest car Kimi will ever have a “privilege” to drive, that’s for sure.

• bananarama (@bananarama) said on 25th January 2014, 13:51

Which could be said about every car we have seen so far. Especially the Lotus would have achieved that too.

• HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 25th January 2014, 14:08

I think Lotus is clearly the best-looking car we’ve seen so far. Especially their livery is just superior compared to anyone else.

• matt90 (@matt90) said on 25th January 2014, 17:40

Force India was nice. We haven’t seen final liveries for McLaren or Williams yet.

• HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 25th January 2014, 19:03

I have to disagree with you. Force India completely ruined their decent color scheme by adding that random black to their car.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 25th January 2014, 18:39

@huhhii – What?????????????? The E22 was HORRENDOUS! Two noses? Really? The Williams, Ferrari and even McLaren were much better, and in the case of all three, they looked better than I expected.

• HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 25th January 2014, 19:05

@william-brierty At least E22 is on balance. It looks like the odd nose actually fits the rest of the car. Ferrari did nothing else but brought F138 and slammed that horrendous nose to it. And added some random uninspired black to the rear. Wohoo.

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 25th January 2014, 20:37

@huhhii – The E22 has two noses! Nothing more needs to be said! It is not a Formula 1 car, it is a walrus. I just can’t see myself getting used to that, but the F14T is perfectly tolerable. Yes, it looks weird. Yes, it looks like John Prescott sat on the nose but at least it isn’t an anteater. OK, the black is a mistake, but if you what is behind the black you’ll notice that the rear end is completely different to the F138 now that Ferrari have abandoned their focus on the “coke-bottle” region of the car. I think it looks good, especially with the rear wing that bears an incredible resemblance to the one used on the MP4-24.

• HUHHII (@huhhii) said on 25th January 2014, 20:45

@william-brierty By the same logic I could say F14T is not a formula one car but a vacuum cleaner with prancing horse logo painted all over it.

It’s a matter of taste. I’m already completely fine with E22. I don’t think F14T will ever grow on me, but of course it’s still possible at this point. It’s a long way to go and anything can happen.

Resemblances to MP4-24 don’t sound promising as we all remember what a dog of a car MP4-24 was ;)

• WilliamB (@william-brierty) said on 26th January 2014, 12:58

@william-brierty – I guess on balance I prefer the look of a vacuum cleaner to the look of a walrus! Beauty, really does appear to be in the eye of the beholder…

Saying that the F14 T doesn’t sound promising based on a rear wing that bears a frankly incredible resemblance to the rear wing of a MP4-24 is somewhat premature though. Especially since Hamilton scored more points than anyone in the second half of the season, scored two wins and four pole positions in the “dog” that was the MP4-24…

14. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 25th January 2014, 13:34

It still looks weird ! but at least it’s a bit prettier at the nose than the Lotus, McLaren or Williams.

Black is winning over red?!

15. Nick (@npf1) said on 25th January 2014, 13:34

Forgive me Luca for I have sinned!

1 2 3 8