Caterham CT05: First pictures

2014 F1 cars

Caterham CT05, Jerez, 2014

The Caterham CT05 has been revealed. Check out the first pictures of the new car.

See pictures of all the 2014 F1 cars

2014 F1 cars

Browse all 2014 F1 cars articles

115 comments on Caterham CT05: First pictures

1. BasCB (@bascb) said on 28th January 2014, 14:28

This car could really do with a vanity panel! But hey, lets be glad we have a grid of very distinct cars this year!

2. Monish said on 28th January 2014, 14:28

I doubt whether tony will be available for 2015

3. davros said on 28th January 2014, 14:28

It looks a bit like they completely forgot about the new nose regs and in a panic constructed something out of empty cereal boxes and loo rolls.

4. Ed Marques (@edmarques) said on 28th January 2014, 14:29

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

5. Dan Brown (@danbrown180) said on 28th January 2014, 14:31

Well I like it!

The variation in all the looks this year is really great to see, after a few years of homogeneous designs. It’ll be really interesting to see who’s pulled something special out of nowhere, and for some reason, this looks quick to me. Probably because it’s kind of a combination of the Ferrari vacuum cleaner, and the other phallic noses. It looks like they’ve maximised airflow underneath well.

6. Maciek (@maciek) said on 28th January 2014, 14:32

I’ve liked pretty much all the others, but this is really…. incredibly hideous – esthetically speaking that is; would be funny if it was fast enough to play in the midfield, then it’ll be everyone’s favourite ugly duckling. I wish this team all the best, but man, that it is not a pretty car.

7. KaIIe (@kaiie) said on 28th January 2014, 14:32

I had a really long day, and this was the first image I opened up when I came back home. Made my day, as I could not stop laughing for 5 minutes.

8. Who let the dogs out, who, who, who??

9. Richard Quick said on 28th January 2014, 14:35

MY EYES!

10. It looks as if they forgot the mid part of the nose. The base is their, the tip too, the rest they probably sold as car art to make some extra cash.

11. Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 28th January 2014, 14:37

I like this one because it’s just bonkers.
    It must be more advanced than we think, because Caterham are calling it CT05, not CT04

12. Girts (@girts) said on 28th January 2014, 14:38

Seriously, you spend hundreds of millions, gather the best drivers in the world and then make them drive these… things?

13. obviously said on 28th January 2014, 14:40

No wonder this was the first car to pass the crash test. It looks like a tank!

14. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 28th January 2014, 14:43

Oh come on! Is this what the sport I love has come to?

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 28th January 2014, 15:07

Some interesting details though on a closer look. front pullrod, cooling up in the roll hoop, odd horizontal turning vane above the splitter.

15. Jarv F150 (@jarvf150) said on 28th January 2014, 14:47

I think someone has been stealing from the Mad Max 2 set.

16. Anthony (@lagerstars) said on 28th January 2014, 14:47

That nose looks awful!
    And surely not only is that sloping rearward nose going to create drag isnt it also going to generate (albeit a tiny amount) lift as well to counteract the downforce the nose generates?

17. Kevin McDonald said on 28th January 2014, 14:47

The nose aside, I’m really curious what on earth is going on with those side pods.
    They are so fat and ‘square’ looking its almost like a early 90’s car.

18. PaulM (@pmelton) said on 28th January 2014, 14:50

Looking at all of the elements, I just have a feeling that this is not going to be very fast at all (happy to eat humble pie). They have not even bothered to cut in the side pods to get air-flow to the rear of the car. The open bodywork at the back is just a wasted opportunity. I understand that Caterham are working to a limited budget, but surely they could have done better than this…

• petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 28th January 2014, 15:11

I agree – no undercut at all, catastrophically ugly, no real flow to it.

With the rest so far, if you cover up the noses, they look fairly nice but not this. This just looks…. budget.

19. DaveD (@daved) said on 28th January 2014, 14:52

Oh my god….what did they do to that poor car? Were they intentionally trying to make it as ugly as humanly possible????? OH MY GOD! That is hideous.

• DaveD (@daved) said on 28th January 2014, 14:57

OK, I just looked at it again….and it’s even worse a second time. Somebody beat that poor thing with an ugly stick, knocked it out of the ugly tree (and it hit every branch on the way down) and landed on it’s head! Then they glued the ugly stick on it’s nose.

You’d have to tie pork chops around that things front wings to get the dog to play with it.

20. JackySteeg (@jackysteeg) said on 28th January 2014, 14:56

I may be in a minority here, but I prefer this a thousand times over the other finger-nosed cars. At least there’ll be no Ann Summers-related references.

Once again, it’s incredibly interesting to see yet another different interpretation of the rules. If nothing else, 2014 has visually produced the widest range of car designs in years.