Caterham CT05: First pictures

2014 F1 cars

Caterham CT05, Jerez, 2014

The Caterham CT05 has been revealed. Check out the first pictures of the new car.

See pictures of all the 2014 F1 cars

2014 F1 cars

Browse all 2014 F1 cars articles

115 comments on Caterham CT05: First pictures

1. Is that a pullrod suspension ??

2. iFuel (@ifuel) said on 28th January 2014, 15:12

Boxy, bulky, ugly, this is the contender to their make or break year… I’m not very optimistic about it

3. maarten.f1 (@maarten-f1) said on 28th January 2014, 15:15

ROFL, just when I thought we had seen the worst already. Hahahahaha

4. Ben (@scuderia29) said on 28th January 2014, 15:21

formula 1 cars should not like like this :/

5. MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 28th January 2014, 15:28

I like that it’s a very bold design. A lot of the others seem to have just taken a 2013 style nose and put a wang on the front of it, whereas Caterham seem to have explored the concept in a bit more depth. If it looked like all the others I’d be disappointed, but this at least shows they are thinking creatively and innovatively. I have no idea whether or not it’ll prove to be better or worse than anyone else’s design, but aesthetics wont count for anything either way. I’m sure they’d rather have an ugly midfielder than a pretty backmarker, and if it delivers the goods performance wise, then people will soon forget what it looks like.

In fact, I have a feeling a lot of the other noses we’ve seen so far are more like placeholders and there are lots more unusual designs waiting to be rolled out through the year. This is the first test and nothing more than a shakedown, so there will be little or no aero work going on. Same with the mega sidepods – start conservative with a chunky sidepod, see how the cooling looks and then incrementally develop the parts through the rest of pre-season testing. If your car is the only one that doesn’t blow up, because you’ve got massive sidepods with lots of cooling, then you’ve made the right choice. I’m certainly not stupid enough to sit here and scoff at the size of the sidepods, as if the people at Caterham suddenly forgot about undercutting and airflow, rather than made a pragmatic decision about the best way to design a car around totally untested technology.

6. craig-o (@craig-o) said on 28th January 2014, 15:30

MY EYES!!!!!!!

7. BJ (@beejis60) said on 28th January 2014, 15:30

I think they stole this design from a child with some crayons who scribbled on a dinner placemat.

8. Nige.B (@nigel2509) said on 28th January 2014, 15:32

Not hard to see who is going be at the back of the grid? Horrific!!!

9. Royal-Spark (@royal-spark) said on 28th January 2014, 15:42

And I thought the Renault R29 couldn’t be beat on terms of ugliness.

10. Fred Tissue said on 28th January 2014, 15:48

Hideous. Who signed this design off? Possibly the ugliest F1 car ever, and there’s been quite a few down the years to choose from. Let’s just hope it doesnt turn out to be this years ‘Brawn’ and everybody copies it.

11. andae23 (@andae23) said on 28th January 2014, 16:07

So it isn’t pretty, but it’s very interesting nonetheless. If I remember correctly, Caterham were the first ones to pass the mandatory crash test, which starts making sense now: they weren’t sure if this nose cone design would pass the test or if they would have to start from scratch.

Anyway, the nose is very narrow, so the obstruction to the airflow passing underneath the nose is relatively small I’d imagine. And aside from that, it’s nice to see them try pullrod front suspension.

12. IgrejaR (@igrejar) said on 28th January 2014, 16:24

Massive Lol. I really bursted into laughter wen the image popped up! Talk about airflow underneath the body.

13. JamieFranklinF1 (@jamiefranklinf1) said on 28th January 2014, 16:56

So they’ve gone for a proboscis and a step in the nose. Obviously one odd looking feature isn’t enough for them. Though I suppose if it gets plenty of airflow underneath the car, then it could be a significant advantage.

14. mypod (@mypod) said on 28th January 2014, 17:18

Front crash with lotus will be shown after 10pm ;)

15. Chris Brighton said on 28th January 2014, 17:22

That is hidious. Worst car out of them all by a long shot.