Caterham CT05: First pictures

2014 F1 cars

Caterham CT05, Jerez, 2014

The Caterham CT05 has been revealed. Check out the first pictures of the new car.

See pictures of all the 2014 F1 cars

2014 F1 cars

Browse all 2014 F1 cars articles

115 comments on Caterham CT05: First pictures

1. Verstappen GP (@verstappengp) said on 28th January 2014, 17:40

I don’t know why but I think this looks like one of the better noses. probably because the front wing is held up by the tip itself.
    The colour scheme is not busy. The green and black work really well together tough I would probably have made all of the front wing black except the outside of the end plates. Would make it looks like a nice 90s car.

Marcus is said to have paid 11 million for his seat. I see no sponsors of that.

2. I sure hope the bodywork is just a temporary ad-hoc solution… X-(

3. BarnstableD (@barnstabled) said on 28th January 2014, 17:50

This is what slow looks like. I’d love to eat my own words, but I think this is the car that firmly puts Caterham at the back and out of F1.

As people have said, and ignoring the front, the car just looks budget. I generally find that if a car looks slow, it usually is.

4. US_Peter (@us_peter) said on 28th January 2014, 18:06

Hey @magnificentgeoffrey, you may want to consider changing your livery. This is going to be a hard team to root for this year despite Kobayashi in the car.

5. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 28th January 2014, 19:49

I see they still insist on using a colour that is unflattering at best.

Interesting approach to the nose, but the lip does the aesthetics no favours. If the tongue is too flimsy, it could be a problem in the event of an accident, but if it is too thick, then it’s going to interrupt airflow under the car.

6. Stephen Higgins said on 28th January 2014, 20:09

And now if you’ll excuse me, I am going to be sick.

7. GongTong (@gongtong) said on 28th January 2014, 20:38

Haha, that is amazing.

8. Graham said on 28th January 2014, 22:29

This Caterham CT05 looks more like the CT01, the big square thing, I also noticed the side panels are made up of lots of small panels on both sides. Not sure this is finished yet.

9. Mebabyme said on 28th January 2014, 22:41

I dont understand why you guys hate this so much ive always thought F1 cars are more function than form and this caterham arrival makes sense to me seems like they took a reading of the rules went as far outside the box as possible and went with it the other teams all went the same route cheers to caterham for going outside the stupid box f1 regs put these guys in

10. Airrider said on 28th January 2014, 22:48

Check out pictures of the CT05.

Then, immediately wish you hadn’t.

That can’t possibly be clean aerodynamically, no matter how much air is being funneled under!

11. SauberS1 (@saubers1) said on 28th January 2014, 23:33

This nose is very interesting! :)

12. Irejag (@irejag) said on 29th January 2014, 1:31

No wonder they have an all new driver line up. What self respecting veteran racer would let himself be seen in that monstrosity! I will give them credit for being different though.

13. Mark McDonald said on 29th January 2014, 1:54

Seriously, what is that?

14. d3v0 (@d3v0) said on 29th January 2014, 2:10

Looks like they just stuck a long sausage on the front of the old nose.

15. Alex McFarlane said on 29th January 2014, 11:31

This is one of the ugliest noses of all time, I had to google the ugliest F1 cars ever to find an equal.
    I think I see a way out of this.. the Dallara DW12 looks great at the front and not so great at the back. The 2014 F1 cars look great at the back and hideous at the front.. any photoshoppers care to weave a hybrid of the two?