Mercedes W05: First pictures

2014 F1 cars

Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes W05, Jerez, 2014

The Mercedes W05 has broken cover – here are the first pictures of Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg’s car for 2014.

Executive director of business Toto Wolff said car and its new V6 turbo engine was “the result of several years of intense effort”.

“But we know that the adventure has only just begun. We have a busy winter testing period ahead of us and a long season where both performance and reliability will be critically important.”

Paddy Lowe, the team’s executive director of technical, said the new engines represent “the biggest change in packaging in Formula One for many years”.

“There is a lot more equipment to cool: more hybrid systems plus the intercooler for the charge air from the turbocharger. That has both a packaging and an aerodynamic dimension.”

“With the introduction of a turbocharger, managing the heat around the exhaust system is important for both car integrity and also for performance,” he added. “If losses can be minimised in the primaries between the engine block and turbo, that is energy that can be recovered and used for car performance.”

Weight is also a significant concern, as Lowe explained. “Although the minimum weight has been raised to 691kg, it is far more difficult to achieve than last year’s target because of the extra equipment in the power unit and its associated systems, plus the cooling demand and the new, heavier side impact structures prescribed by the FIA.”

See pictures of all the 2014 F1 cars

2014 F1 cars

Browse all 2014 F1 cars articles

78 comments on Mercedes W05: First pictures

1. Makana (@makana) said on 28th January 2014, 11:43

Maybe someone can help me clarify something here; what does the rulebook say about the nose length? Because my impression is that, other than Merc and Ferrari, people opted for “long” pointy tips, obviously to reach a certain length within regulation, otherwise they would ditch the tip altogether no!

So what have Merc done? Is the front wing altogether longer? I can’t make that for sure. I am confused as to how the different teams reach the mandatory car length really. If anyone can clarify, I’d appreciate it :)

2. Robbie said on 28th January 2014, 11:53

Must agree with most here…my first reaction was relief…finally a decent looking solution….wonderful. Looks great. Don’t mind the RBR either, nor the Ferrari, but I’m liking the Merc the best. Yay!

3. Chris Brighton said on 28th January 2014, 11:59

It’s not looking so good now… Hamilton’s front wing failed… I think that’s it from him today

4. Mads (@mads) said on 28th January 2014, 12:03

Look quite good. The nose is still awkward, the slope is a little odd and the horns doesn’t do it much good either. Still much better then anything else. It also looks properly well packaged.

5. Gerdoner (@gerdoner) said on 28th January 2014, 12:12

Am I the first to notice Rosberg’s new helmet?
    Guess he lost the draw when one of them had to change colors, because two yellow helmets in one team just didn’t work :P

6. Maciek (@maciek) said on 28th January 2014, 13:48

I find all the 2014 cars to be an improvement over the raised/stepped noses, but yeah, esthetically this is the nicest. I imagine those camera mountings will be challenged and/or imitated.

7. Fixy (@fixy) said on 28th January 2014, 14:18

Don’t like the black on the fin at all. Nor Rosberg’s helmet. And what’s happened to the Petronas logo?
    But finally, a decent nose! And I hope they win all races, to show everyone that the stupid noses weren’t necessary to win.

8. DaveD (@daved) said on 28th January 2014, 14:45

I dub thee: The Mercedes Eyebrows

9. Steven (@steevkay) said on 28th January 2014, 14:56

If it races as good as it looks, we’ll be in for an interesting season.

10. Old Lightnin (@lightnin-hopkins) said on 28th January 2014, 15:02

Wow that car is beautiful. To see a formula 1 car like that is just breath taking. You see all different kinds of road cars and sports cars and racing cars. Then you see a brand new, £200 MILLION works Mercedes Formula one car and it just leaves you in awe.

11. DaveD (@daved) said on 28th January 2014, 15:09

OK, I love the car. It looks brilliant and I hope it runs well.

My questions:
    How are they getting away with such tiny air intakes for the larger cooling needs this year?!?

Will that nose get enough airflow “under the car” for performance.

Will they get away with the camera mounts being used as aero devices?

12. Ben (@scuderia29) said on 28th January 2014, 15:11

well it certainly looks fast, interesting that ferrari and mercedes have had a similar philiosophy on the nose

13. Ben (@scuderia29) said on 28th January 2014, 15:13

good luck distinguishing it and the mclaren on track

14. tmax (@tmax) said on 28th January 2014, 18:36

When I look at the Mercedes W05 it reminds me of the McLaren 2012 ( MP4-27 ). In 2012 almost every other car moved to the stepped nose concept while McLaren had a cleaner version of the nose which was gradually sloped. I see the same has happened to the Mercedes W05 this year. Every other car has the anteater or its derivatives on it while the Mercedes has managed to get a clean nose.

Is this the Paddy Lowe Trade mark ????

15. chi-tom (@chi-tom) said on 28th January 2014, 20:21

What I find remarkable is that in recent designs Mercedes so lacks the color accents typical of F1, the most bland competitive car on the track – again.