Red Bull RB10: First pictures

2014 F1 cars

Red Bull RB10, Jerez, 2014

The Red Bull RB10 has a lot to live up to – its four predecessors were all world champions. Here are the first pictures of the new car.

See pictures of all the 2014 F1 cars

2014 F1 cars

Browse all 2014 F1 cars articles

78 comments on Red Bull RB10: First pictures

1. Hm, looks more interesting, than Mercedes, especially the black nose tip.

2. Calum (@calum) said on 28th January 2014, 7:38

This is awesome – so exciting getting multiple car launches in a day!

Definitely my favourite part of the F1 year! :D

3. Prisoner Monkeys (@prisoner-monkeys) said on 28th January 2014, 7:41

Colour me underwhelmed – it looks quite lazy. Maybe it’s just a byproduct of the distance between camera and car, but it just looks like an RB9 with a 2014 nose.

• Nick (@nick-uk) said on 28th January 2014, 18:27

More than anything its the livery that I can’t stand. It’s always been aweful. It’s far too crowded. I think Red Bull could do with a major overhaul of its car livery style. With Webber leaving it could have been a good time to make another change. I dunno, I just hate all the lines and writing everywhere.

4. Let’s see if Vettel gives this one a woman’s name..

5. Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 28th January 2014, 7:44

The nose tip looks counterintuitive being so wide with a large frontal area. Reminds me of the bulbous extension at the front of large cargo ships that saves a lot of fuel. So maybe Newey didn’t take inspiration from America’s Cup but from much larger ships.

6. I like what I’m seeing, however the eternal argument that a beautiful car is a fast one will inevitably arise. The aesthetics are there and not long until we find out if the speed backs it up!

7. Ean (@ean) said on 28th January 2014, 7:52

Same as Torro Rosso

8. JCost (@jcost) said on 28th January 2014, 7:53

Keith you need at least 300mm of zoom :)

9. sars (@sars) said on 28th January 2014, 7:54

Is it me or does Ricciardo look like a plastic action man figure?

Looking at the Red Bull site the nose job looks pretty good

• panache (@panache) said on 28th January 2014, 8:02

Spot on! Ricciardo has such an awkward posture in those pictures, even when taking into account that he was adjusting his posture when the pictures were taken.

10. The bull gets a snake head!
    The nose is rather confusing. Not sure if it is painting gimmick or the nose itself is structured in such a manner.

11. dennis (@dennis) said on 28th January 2014, 8:20

Where will the mandatory cameras go?

12. t3x (@t3x) said on 28th January 2014, 8:38

Is this nose legal? seems like the surface area of the tip of the nose is tiny.

13. MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 28th January 2014, 8:42

Engineers up and down the paddock will be breathing a sigh of relief that the RB10 is pretty much following the same design principles as everyone else’s. They can rest assured they probably got it right…

• Mike Dee (@mike-dee) said on 28th January 2014, 9:35

@mazdachris I’m not sure I agree. The nose tip seems quite different from other cars: it is vertical and not sloping like the other anteater designs.

• MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 28th January 2014, 10:02

@mike-dee
        The concept is basically the same though. It’s just there to fulfill the mandatory nose regs, while keeping its aero profile to a minimum. Unless they’re using it to generate vortices, or there’s something more complex going on below the front of the chassis, I think there’s nothing to suggest that RBR’s design is a fundamentally different approach to that taken by the others (Except Ferrari and Mercedes)

• TMF (@tmf42) said on 28th January 2014, 10:11

@mike-dee agree, it looks rather unique. It reminds me of a bulbous bow used on ships.

14. The Blade Runner (@thebladerunner) said on 28th January 2014, 8:49

Not bad at all looks wise. I wonder how Ferrari and Mercedes feel now they know that Newey has gone down the “proboscis” route.

15. Alskie said on 28th January 2014, 8:49

So far i like this design the best. Not so much of a penis nose, more like a wedge. Plus the livery distracts from it.

16. Bullfrog (@bullfrog) said on 28th January 2014, 9:07

Not another one. At least they tried to conceal it. Lovely sleek design apart from that.
    Very little hope left now, but it’s resting on Marussia. I think we can count the Caterham out, after what its boss said about it!

17. WarfieldF1 (@warfieldf1) said on 28th January 2014, 9:34

So the solutions so far:-
    Lotus = Tusk nose. As it seems to be unique, it will either be a “Brawn” or a “Lotus under sidepod exhaust”
    Ferrari and Mercedes= Non “Bulbous Bow/ Finger” with “fancy” camera mounting. The merc interpretation looks more coherent and visually pleasing but thats no reason to think it will be faster than the FIAT. The Merc rear looks super compact.
    Others so far including Red Bull = variations on the “Bulbous Bow/ Finger”, with standard camers mountings from those i have seen so far.
    Nice to see such wide differences of approach, BUT……..who’s right??

• In my opinion it does look like Ferrari and Mercedes have gone down the wrong route. They have spent years trying to raise their noses to get better airflow under the car and then Ferrari and Mercedes block off a significant amount of airflow. Unless they have some other secret at the rear end then it looks like they have made a mistake. This is more apparent when you consider that the Ferrari looks almost identical to a Mclaren Concept picture which was released a while ago. Mclaren obviously thought of this approach and then decided against it, couple that with Adrian Newey doing much the same as Mclaren and Lotus clearly showing that underside airflow is massively important to them too, it looks like the ugly solution could be the correct one. (Although personally I think the Ferrari looks like the ugliest of the lot which is odd when Merc can do such a nice design using the same concept).

• spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 28th January 2014, 17:40

I for one would not be so sure about that as there are many ways to gain an advantage (fuel consumption, different rear airflow, less downforce, reliability,..).
        I would not be surprised if an advantage were to unfold with the way Ferrari and Mercedes did interpret the rules and more generally for exotic designs.
        As for the ugliest car, my vote definitely goes to Caterham (keeping its crown) which seems to develop some skills in making a terrible design :)

• spoutnik (@spoutnik) said on 28th January 2014, 17:41

I would not be surprised if an advantage were to unfold with the way Ferrari and Mercedes did interpret the rules and more generally for bizarre designs.

• BasCB (@bascb) said on 29th January 2014, 11:50

That picture you might have seen was not from McLAren @lee1. It was a photoshop from someone who tried to predict different nose shapes that could be legal, made on a McLaren but it could have been any car. And as that looked almost exactly like what Ferrari did I wouldn’t be surprised if they did have a bit of inside info to go by.

On a different note, the Mercedes does look like Ferrari, and does have some similarities (Camera mount idea), but the nose itself is likely different, in a sense its going on the same idea as the Lotus nose.

18. Sharon H (@sharoncom) said on 28th January 2014, 9:48

Looks fast, as usual. At least they attempted to hide the front protrusion.

19. Garns (@) said on 28th January 2014, 10:31

It looks great, and so does the Mercedes, certainly the best 2 looking cars IMO. Ferrari also looks pretty good as well but nose not a asthetic as these two…………… lets just get them on the track!!

20. WimBR said on 28th January 2014, 10:46

I’m OK with the nose. Its more bulbous nosetip may well have some fuel-saving intent and its vertical front may just be able to split the incoming airflow more efficiently (but I’m no aerodynamicist). Moreover, I think it is one of the more elegant solutions to date.
    But what does intrigue me is the back of the car as seen in the three-quarter front shot: is it me or is there some tube-like bodywork at the bottom that suggests a channel through which something (other than exhaust gasses of course) is blowing over the floor? Has Newey found some other airflow to use down there?