Ricciardo not feeling pressure despite lack of laps

2014 F1 season

Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull, Jerez, 2014Daniel Ricciardo says the pressure is not on Red Bull despite their early end to testing at Jerez.

The world champions left Jerez having completed less than 100km during the first test of the season while Mercedes logged over 1,300km.

“I don?t think it adds pressure,” said Ricciardo after another technical problem halted his Friday running.

“For all we know, they could be racking up a lot of laps but they could be a second off the pace, so who knows? We?re not going to read into it.”

“Obviously we?d love to have done more laps ?ǣ even for me, I came here to drive ?ǣ but we?re not going to get down about it.”

Ricciardo declared himself confident his team could solve the problems with the car: “I mean, if anyone can pull this off, it?s these guys.”

“But there?s nothing to pull off yet. It?s still early. But I?m sure they?ll make a quick turn-around because they?re the best in the world.”

“With the complex systems we?ve got here, it?s not going to take 24 hours to solve,” he added.

“I think that now we have some time away from the track to figure out what needs to be done. Obviously that?s not my job, but I?ll be keeping in touch with the team over the next few weeks to see how it?s all going.”

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?? Red Bull/Getty

22 comments on Ricciardo not feeling pressure despite lack of laps

1. Ron (@rcorporon) said on 31st January 2014, 17:59

As a RBR fan I can’t say that I’m not worried about the testing. However, if anybody can pull it off it’s Newey & co.

2. Todfod (@todfod) said on 31st January 2014, 18:03

Looks like there will be a change in the RB10′s design

If Newey can still put this car on pole in Australia… then hats off to him and his team.

3. Cyclops_PL (@cyclops_pl) said on 31st January 2014, 18:11

Normally I would be sure that Newey and RBR can pull it off. They usually do remarkable job at returning from dead-end solutions which bring only trouble. However this time it’s not only their own wrong-doing. The Renault engine is not performing well at any team and Red Bull made it even worse. That’s why their losses might be doubled, even compared to other Renault-powered teams.

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 31st January 2014, 19:35

Indeed, I think the problems come from both Renault and a too extreme design from Newey.

I even heard Renault was quite unhappy with the way the RB was built (even though RB submitted their plans to Renault for approval).

4. Kingshark (@kingshark) said on 31st January 2014, 18:22

Poor Daniel. If Renault don’t get their engine fixed by Feb 28th, his career could very well take a similar path to Perez. Join a top team just as they produce a turd car.

• Patrick (@paeschli) said on 31st January 2014, 19:47

@kingshark

He has a 2 year contract :)

• Jack (@jmc200) said on 31st January 2014, 20:08

I’m fairly sure Perez’s contract was “multi year” which of course tuned out to mean: one year. But if Red Bull drivers get dumped they very rarely find a seat, as they’ve gone their whole career without sponsorship. I think the only one who got a meaningful F1 seat after getting dumped from the programme was Liuzzi, but he was terrible…

5. Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 31st January 2014, 18:30

Riccardo will win a race and Vettel will win the championship.

6. JCost (@jcost) said on 31st January 2014, 18:36

So far, the best Renault team is… Caterham! Who could predict that?

Keep pushing Red Bull, I want you guys at the front.

7. Akshay (@hamilfan) said on 31st January 2014, 19:03

Any body else likes the way Daniel answers questions ? I think I am beginning to like him more.