New cars’ looks are “not good enough” – Alonso

2014 F1 season

Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, Jerez, 2014Fernando Alonso says F1’s engineers need to find ways of making this year’s generation of cars look better.

The appearance of many of the new cars has drawn criticism as teams have resorted to unorthodox solutions to new aerodynamic regulations. Many cars feature long, thin noses while Alonso’s Ferrari has a steeply sloping front.

“They are uglier,” Alonso admitted in an interview for CNN. “I think we have to be honest with our fans and ourselves first of all.”

“They are not good enough because people look Formula One like excellence of motorsport, of aerodynamics, excellence of performance and technology. And when you see those front parts of the car, it doesn’t look like all the things we’ve said.

“I think we will find different solutions. The engineers are clever enough to make the car fast and also beautiful.”

Alonso added he will have to perform at the top of his game this year in order to stay ahead of new team mate Kimi Raikkonen.

“I think he’s very talented,” said Alonso, “so that is a huge help and a huge motivation for myself, first, and also for the team because the team knows it has to deliver a good car because Kimi will deliver a good result.”

“Myself, I know that I need to deliver at my best. If not, I will not be able to be in front of Kimi. So that is only a good and positive news for Ferrari.”

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image ?? F1 Fanatic | f1fanatic.co.uk

73 comments on New cars’ looks are “not good enough” – Alonso

1. Steven (@steevkay) said on 4th February 2014, 19:17

I don’t think the looks have been good enough since 2008, and many others would say that looks haven’t been good enough in F1 since long before that.

To be fair, I’m sure most drivers would drive the double-pronged Lotus (or that funny looking Toro Rosso) in a heartbeat if it meant that he could drive harder and faster. If all the cars were equally fast… then definitely, I’d want the better looking one. Funny that he’s complaining since I think the Ferrari and Mercedes look the best with their more conventional-looking noses.

2. MarkM (@mpmark) said on 4th February 2014, 20:22

I just can’t get used to the look of the Ferrari, I’ve tried to let it grow on me and it just feels like that nose doesn’t belong. it goes from square edge to round edge quite oddly.
    But all cars aren’t ugly, the Mercedes looks good, but it feels like someone stole the front part of the nose, (looks incomplete).
    But of all the cars, the red bull looks amazing, one of the best cars I’ve seen in years, even better then any of the raised nose era.

Honestly the re bull is very beautiful and what I would expect a F1 car to look like.

3. Denis 68 said on 4th February 2014, 22:20

New cars’ looks are “not good enough” – Alonso

Fernando the founder of the team you drive for today used to say that “una machina e solo bella quando vince”

English translation is “a car only looks beautiful when it win’s”.

4. MattiM (@mattim) said on 4th February 2014, 22:45

I strongly believe that the looks of the F1 car will grow on people. Now the new looks are all fresh and everybody is crying out.

If we had 2014 looks first and 2013 immediately after, I bet people would be equally appalled.

By the end of 2014 we will all love all this year’s anteaters, penises and reverse quasimodos.

5. SauberS1 (@saubers1) said on 4th February 2014, 23:05

The FIA doesn’t care this.

6. MazdaChris (@mazdachris) said on 5th February 2014, 12:31

I’m pretty sick of everyone involved in F1 publicly moaning about F1. If you bang on and on and on about how cars are hideous looking, then people will believe it. The cars don’t look bad – some of the frontal appendages are a bit odd looking, but otherwise I think the cars generally look great. Definitely better than the cars which featured those hideous fins connecting the airbox to the rear wing, that made the cars look like vans in profile. And y’know, it’s really time to stop complaining about this. The look of the cars was predicted almost as soon as the rules were published, and now the cars have rolled out looking exactly how we expected them to. There was ample time for people to take action back then but nobody wanted to, so here we are. Just accept it, stop whining about it, because about ten minutes into the first session you will have gotten used to them. Just like we got used to the odd wings in 2009.

7. Tionkin said on 5th February 2014, 16:09

All of this years cars look great on radio.

8. Farragher (@supercar) said on 6th February 2014, 3:05

Let’s face it, 2014 is the year of the Lego car.

9. Damon (@damon) said on 6th February 2014, 15:43

LOLWUT?!
    I don’t understand this criticism at all! The 2014 cars look 1000 times better than last season’s cars. They actually are some of the best looking cars in the last 10 years.

Low nose (with or w/o the penis) >>> High flat plate nose of any kind.

10. Rob (@sleeper) said on 6th February 2014, 16:48

It looks like Ferrari has been trying out different noses, possibly trying to come up with something that looks a little better, and yet satisfies aero and F1 requirements.

This one reminds me of something; I can’t quite put my finger on what.

11. Why is everyone so worried how they look when all we want is to see are cars racing .
    How many of the early racing cars were criticised on their looks. Lets just hope they’re fast.