Lotus E22 hits the track in Bahrain

2014 F1 season

Romain Grosjean, Lotus, Bahrain, 2014

Lotus have become the final team of 2014 to run their car in public as their new E22 chassis appeared on the first day of testing at Bahrain.

Romain Grosjean drove the unusual-looking car with its twin-pronged nose on its first laps as the second test began.

This article will be updated

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image © Lotus/LAT

39 comments on Lotus E22 hits the track in Bahrain

1. Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 19th February 2014, 8:08

Stangely fond of this :-)

2. BasCB (@bascb) said on 19th February 2014, 8:13

It looks a bit of 70-80 kind of cool really. A lot better than all the appendixes on the front of many cars, this actually looks purposefull ,like Mercedes and Ferrari, well and Caterham, but that looks pretty crude.

3. sumedh said on 19th February 2014, 8:20

Wow! That looks terrible from this angle. And here I was thinking that I will hate the first-launched cars more and like the ones launched later. Now, I like the Mclaren and Ferrari than the Caterham and Lotus!!

4. jhg103 (@joshgeake) said on 19th February 2014, 8:26

I really hope these guys do well this year, everyone there could do with it. Ignoring the retracted Sochi tweet, these guys seem the nicest in the pitlane.

5. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 19th February 2014, 8:51

It looks odd, but it is great o have some variety on the grid for a change. Looking at those pictures form the first turbo era I was struck by just how different all the cars where, and not just from an aero point of view either, as all the engine manufacturers took different routes (I4, V6 and V8 turbos a few normally aspirated cars).

It’s going to be great seeing which solution proves to be the most effective and then seeing all the other teams coming out with their own interpretations. Vive la difference and all that…

6. Patrick (@paeschli) said on 19th February 2014, 8:52

Well, I must admit they have some guts at Lotus. I hope they do well this year. :)

7. Jared H (@thejaredhuang) said on 19th February 2014, 8:55

Best looking nose.

8. Tomsk (@tomsk) said on 19th February 2014, 9:17

Unmistakeable and not as bad as the other smart-**** noses. And it reminds me a bit of the Lotus 78.

The first copy of it has already been spotted in the Bahrain paddock

9. rdpunk (@rdpunk) said on 19th February 2014, 9:38

I so hope that the Lotus version of the front nose isn’t quickest so the other teams don’t follow suit!

10. Best looking noses in F1 this year

11. Bazza Spock (@bazza-spock) said on 19th February 2014, 10:05

I just saw a shot of the back of it on the sky website live feed. the exhaust is asymmetrical too. I wish them well but I’m not supporting them like I was last year. With this year’s driver line up and Boulier gone, the most colourful part of the team is the PR dept.

12. Fer no.65 (@fer-no65) said on 19th February 2014, 11:30

There’s no other word for it: horrible. It just is. I like it’s uniqueness, but it’s just plain horrid.

13. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 19th February 2014, 11:33

Why am I warming to this nose? I shouldn’t be warming to this nose. Maybe it’s seeing the hideous noses of Force India, Toro Rosso, and Caterham again.

To be fair to Lotus, although their financial-state has been in question, they have a lot of sponsors on their car. Mind PDVSA may as well be title sponsors with the amount of logos they have on the car.

14. ME4ME (@me4me) said on 19th February 2014, 11:43

Wow, the chassi looks incredibly high at the front. Almost looks like Grosjean is looking over a wall, trying to see whats on the other side!

15. mypod (@mypod) said on 19th February 2014, 11:55

Hope there won’t be front crash with caterham ;)