Double points not extended but kept for last race

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Felipe Massa, Ferrari, Yas Marina, 2013In the round-up: Bernie Ecclestone’s efforts to apply double points to the final three races of the year fail, but the last race will still award double points.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Formula 1′s double points system fails to get backing for USA and Brazil grands prix (The Mirror)

“The double points system will still be in effect at the final race of 2014 in Abu Dhabi, but an idea to bring it in for the US and Brazil grands prix were given short shrift by the F1 Strategy Group.”

Todt: double points not a big issue (Autosport)

“Honestly, I’m not very excited about it, I’m not really excited. But it’s such a little parameter, compared to so many other things.”

FIA delays decision on new F1 team (Adam Cooper’s F1 Blog)

“Intriguingly it seems that realistically Gene Haas is aiming for a 2016 start, while the Romanian project is ready to kick off in 2015, should it be given the go ahead.”

Lots of teams in the running – Button (ESPN)

“We’re all competitive and it’s absolute rubbish when drivers say we are concentrating on ourselves – utter crap. We all know that and I’ve had some of them as my team-mates!”

Alonso: No one ready for Oz (Sky)

“If you go the World Cup of football and they change the size of the ball and they give you five days to touch that ball… we would all like to have more days, but on the other hand when I see the number I have done in five days, that is probably more than any other driver.”

Q&A with Pastor Maldonado (F1)

“Q: You are sitting in Kimi [Raikkonen's] cockpit. How does that feel?
PM: Like I have a lot of responsibilities – but not only for the team, also for my country. When I won the Spanish Grand Prix it was also a sign for my country that we can do it – and we want more! My job here at Lotus is to do my best to get there again.”

Day two of the final pre-season test in Bahrain (BBC)

“No-one outside the team knows whether it happened or not, and those on the inside wouldn’t say.”

An update from Spy (Red Bull)

“A major news broadcaster posted the story this morning, along with the line ‘No-one outside the team knows whether it happened or not, and those on the inside wouldn’t say.’ Eh? Run that by me again?”

The world according to Niki Lauda (MotorSport)

“Coming into that weekend, [Lewis Hamilton had] informed McLaren that he was staying put and had told friends the same thing, that he had looked at the Mercedes alternative but decided against it. But then something came to Lewis’ attention that weekend about a background situation regarding Ron Dennis that did not please Lewis one little bit, so he was already wavering.”

Tweets

Comment of the day

@Maciek on the end of FOTA:

It is unfortunate that competing teams in this sport cannot see the advantages of laying down the arms once in a while to ensure that what they’re fighting over remains relevant and, obviously, it is precisely why one individual has been able to hold such sway over the direction of the sport.

It’s really a bit pathetic – these are major players in a major venture, yet they’re led by the nose by a little (as in petty) man who knows how to push their buttons. F1 needs a new paradigm and technical changes alone isn’t going to do it.
@Maciek

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Jose Arellano and Becca Blue!

On this day in F1

1994 F1 seasonMartin Brundle became the second driver to test McLaren’s 1994 challenger, the Peugeot-powered MP4-9, after confirmed race driver Mika Hakkinen.

But McLaren continued to hold off on confirming who Hakkinen’s team mate would be.

Image © Red Bull/Getty

71 comments on Double points not extended but kept for last race

1. Elias Lewis (@elias1995) said on 1st March 2014, 3:02

If double points had been awarded in previous years (Not going back too far) then Raikkonen would be champion in 2003, Massa in 2008 and Alonso in 2012. Pretty significant in my opinion! I just hope the leader of the championship in Brazil wins the championship in Abu Dhabi to minimise the impact of double points.

2. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 1st March 2014, 3:11

Seeing all of them, Force India’s nose, Toro Rosso’s “Gonzo” nose as I like to call it, and Caterham’s monstrosity are just so hideous that I may have to avoid using pictures that heavily feature any of these as wallpapers! And also, not that I don’t like Lotus’ nose, but it is doing my mild OCD no favours!

Hopefully next year, like they did last season with vanity panels as a reaction to the horrid 2012 stepped-noses, there will be changes made to make the cars more aesthetically pleasing, like the Red Bull, for example.

3. Hamilfan (@hamilfan) said on 1st March 2014, 4:15

Todt : Double points is insignificant

Say again ?

Like it or loathe it. But , how it can be insignificant is beyond me . The drastic rule changes amplify the effect of double points even more rather than diminish it .How would Todt feel if he were leading in a dominant car only to be put aside as someone else snatches the title due to the double points . Looks like F1 at its current state is corrupt and run by the whims of one man .

Some say, he used to pull puppets’ strings when he was 2 . All we know is he is the puppet master .

4. David not Coulthard (@) said on 1st March 2014, 4:56

@keithcollantine Prost……That was the best thing do far this year!

5. Sonkky said on 1st March 2014, 5:09

I think the Double Points could only work if they are available to the Top 3 in the Championship standings(as of Brazil).. A bit like Nascar and the Sprint Cup series , still artificial but still eliminates the chances of someone probably 5th in the standings 45 points behind..

6. AdrianMorse (@adrianmorse) said on 1st March 2014, 5:59

What’s going on with the FIA delaying its decision for new entries? Are the two potential entries ready to commit to F1 and the FIA is not letting them? Is it just that Bernie does not want to pay for one or more teams? Perhaps it’s too bad the teams did not break away in 2009, now we will never be rid of the combined mess of FIA and FOM.

• Lucas Wilson (@full-throttle-f1) said on 1st March 2014, 7:40

The FOM is holding the descion back to look through the teams.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 1st March 2014, 13:10

Perhaps the potential new teams are actually the ones who have expressed concerns about comments from BE like ‘double points are to help Ferrari.’ If I were a potential new team I don’t see how I would have confidence that it would be a wise investment right now. I’d want to see how the new-look F1 pans out for the lesser teams as to whether or not they now have any better chance of working their way up the grid.

And I’d be concerned about how 3 potential new teams put together proposals about 4 year’s ago and presented them, having gotten the backing etc etc, one of them being JV and his group who were going to revive the last Toyota chassis while it was still relevant, only to have the rug pulled out from under them and leave them feeling there was never any real interest in new teams at the time, after all. And now this.

I don’t see what the draw is right now in even trying to put something together. Do all that work…get all the ingredients together…only to have them say…’nah’. Or get in, only to find they still haven’t controlled costs as promised, leaving you assured of languishing in the back of the pack, unable to keep up, needing paying drivers whose inexperience further guarantees languishing in the back as witnessed by some of the current lesser teams, and even teams as big as Lotus.

7. Bleu (@bleu) said on 1st March 2014, 7:57

Just waiting for Bernie crying about teams not understanding “the best of sport”.

I hate the double points, one race is bad but three races would have been even worse.

• Robbie (@robbie) said on 1st March 2014, 14:20

I disagree as I say on page 1. At least if it was 3 races then teams would have a chance to answer to some unfair points grabbing that might occur in the third last race. Don’t get me wrong…I hate this as much as everyone else, and I only see a big asterisk beside the WDC’s name this year. There’s a good chance he’ll be perceived as only having won it because of points…not because he did a better job.

Double points might help bring the fight down to the last race, but it will be at the cost of the integrity of this year’s WDC. Double points and DRS passing to me pretty much eliminates the chance for us to any longer consider F1 drivers as ‘legendary’ figures performing ‘legendary’ feats.

8. karter22 (@karter22) said on 1st March 2014, 8:20

Well, I´m glad it didn´t get extended for brazil and USA but, I also think they should have gotten rid of it for good. Anyways, all this means is that MERC will get all the money they have invested in this year´s car in points alone… Nice little bonus at the final race.

9. Tomsk (@tomsk) said on 1st March 2014, 12:20

Good answer from Pastor to the stupidest question I’ve seen so far this year!

10. SeaHorse (@seahorse) said on 1st March 2014, 19:09

I think this was what we had to expect, considering that there has to be Unanimous approval for it to be removed, which of course is not going to happen in the near future with the Formula One Murderers and the Fédération Internationale de l’Antiquity wielding two thirds of the voting rights at the Strategy Group. Thank God the teams had at least one third which essentially blocked the move to expand it to the last three GPs.

11. Greg-C said on 1st March 2014, 23:48

Roflmao @ red bull Spy
    Seb chucked a massive hissy fit, jumped on his unicorn not to Sweden but headed off to Webbers house where they bitched about the team , ha .
    Cant wait for Markos album