Retirements needed for points in Australia – Vettel

F1 Fanatic Round-up

Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull, Bahrain, 2014In the round-up: Sebastian Vettel says Red Bull will need some luck just to score points in Australia.

Links

Your daily digest of F1 news, views, features and more.

Sebastian Vettel predicts Red Bull debacle in Melbourne (The Age)

“If half the drivers fail to finish, then maybe we could take a few points.”

Red Bull two months behind – Marko (ESPN)

Helmut Marko: “The opening race comes at least two months too early for us. This is a very serious matter. At the moment we do not know in what time frame it will be possible to catch up, or if it is possible at all.”

Grosjean: It’s far from ideal (Sky)

“Honestly, I’m not happy tonight. It’s far from ideal, we didn’t do a third of what we wanted to, but what can you do?”

Vijay Mallya Q&A (F1)

“Q: So what are your expectations for the first four flyaway races? Are you looking to cash in in on any engine advantage?
VM: The first four races present a great opportunity, particularly for the Mercedes-powered teams, because so far they are showing that they are ahead of the rest. But in the end it will be all about – here comes the word again – reliability.”

Kvyat relieved by STR improvement (Autosport)

“When we didn’t have so many reliability problems we did some important tests on the chassis side. As soon as we saw the car was running nicely we had to get something done.”

Bomb at Bahrain protest kills three policemen (Al Jazeera)

“Three policemen have been killed by a remotely detonated bomb in Bahrain during a protest in a village west of the capital Manama, the Interior Ministry has said, in one of the worst incidents of violence in recent months.”

A new position at Ferrari (Joe Saward)

“Ferrari has had a slight switch around in its management in recent days with the appointment of Antonello Coletta as the new sporting activities director.”

Daniil Kvyat drives the Toro Rosso STR9 in the wet at Misano (F1 Fanatic via YouTube)

So what do we know? (The Buxton Blog)

“From what I understand from a high level independent source after testing had finished, the reality could be even more astonishing. If the data adds up as he believes and the factory Mercedes team was able to run their cars at 100%, right now they would win every Grand Prix not by a few seconds but by two clear laps.”

Shutter Speeding (Red Bull)

“Monaco is incredible for pictures, because of the backdrop and because of how close you can get, whereas Silverstone is dreadful because the vantage points just aren’t that great.”

Tweets

Snapshot

Porsche 919 Hybrid, Geneva Motor Show, 2014

Porsche formally revealed their 919 Hybrid LMP1 contender, which will compete in this year’s World Endurance Championship including the Le Mans 24 Hours, at the Geneva Motor Show yesterday. Mark Webber will drive the car along with Timo Bernhard, Romain Dumas, Brendon Hartley, Neel Jani and Marc Lieb.

More pictures of the car here:

Comment of the day

Spencer White reckons there’s been too much criticism of Sauber’s driver line-up:

Sutil is a very strong midfield driver who will get consistent points finishes if provided with a good car.

Gutierrez will do the same job as Sutil and he is on a learning curve, so it won’t be long before he gets a few more points.
Spencer White (@Jojobudgie)

From the forum

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Idr, Jarred Walmsley, Tommyb, Jake and James!

On this day in F1

1994 F1 seasonJordan’s preparations for the 1994 season suffered a setback 20 years ago today.

Eddie Irvine was fortunate to escape injury when he crashed at over 100mph while testing at Magny-Cours in France, though he wrote off the first example of the team’s 194 chassis.

Images © Red Bull/Getty, Max Earey

111 comments on Retirements needed for points in Australia – Vettel

1. Diego (@ironcito) said on 5th March 2014, 8:17

In Silverstone 2013, nobody cared that Rosberg took the lead. They were cheering at Vettel’s retirement, particularly the fans close to him, making the finger gesture at him, and such. Look up videos on YouTube and you’ll see. I thought it was mean and unsportsmanlike.

2. Sam (@) said on 5th March 2014, 9:58

I’m very sorry for Vettel. I already feel as this season will be used to completely break him down to an average driver in the minds of the simple F1 fan. They will not accept the RB10 is not a RB9 or RB7. They will judge Vettel on this season and he will not be judged with mercy.

If he does not win races by mid-season people will see his four titles as a product of a car rather than his driving. Which of course would be a real shame.

3. karter22 (@karter22) said on 5th March 2014, 10:43

I find it funny that nobody has said anything because of Vettel´s “wishfull” thinking… When Alonso said it last time… all hell broke loose!! Double standards??
    Anways… It´s nice to know that there might be some racing actually going on on the sharp end but it seems it´s going to be pretty much one-sided again… I really hope, for the show´s sake, that Ferrari kept a little extra hidden at these tests!

• Sir OBE said on 5th March 2014, 14:10

I said the same thing last night, about Vettel’s comment, even though I was of course only joking, since he is only pointing out the lack of speed of his car, but my comment is now deleted. Go figure.

• evered7 (@evered7) said on 8th March 2014, 1:55

I was searching for that comment. Thank goodness that you told me it was deleted. I thought of having my eyes checked :)

Vettel and RB will have all the world’s eyes on them, only this time of a different reason. Good luck to thm.

4. timi (@timi) said on 5th March 2014, 10:44

Loving the F1-inspired Porsche bonnet!!

5. Yesterday Mr OBE published an interesting comment about how Vettel’s words were similar to the ones said by Alonso last year.
    Let me agree with some of his facts, and disagree with others.
    I agree a parallel can be drawn between both Alonso 2013 and Vettel 2014 opinions.
    I disagree with the content of it. While Alonso specifically said “I need Vettel to retire”, Vettel says “The only way to get points is if a bunch of drivers (anybody) retires. Retirements are quite a normal problem, especally this year it looks as if it’s going to be common.

PS: IMHO, Mr OBE didn’t attack me with his words, so please, to whom it may concern, stop vanishing well stated opinions.

• @karter22 Look at this comment please. What OBE said was well expressed. Why was it M0d3r@t3d? No idea.

• karter22 (@karter22) said on 6th March 2014, 4:58

@omarr-pepper

Well, is it any less bad to want anbody to retire in order to add points than just to single out anybody? The way I remember, the opinions about ALO stating that was that it was “sad” that he actually said it and so now I also believe that it is even sadder for Vettel to say it since when ALO said it, he was fighting for the WDC. Vettel hasn´t even started the season and he wants everybody out just to add points! He might just be stating the obvious facts that his car is suffering but it´s still sad! See what I mean? I´m just trying to make the point of double standards. To be honest, it does not surprise me that sir obe´s comment got moderated, it tends to happen quite often when mud-slinging heads herr Vettel´s way. That is why I now limit my opinions and just read on.
        I for one hate the fact that he isn´t going to fight till Renault get their act together but, at least now, we will see what ALO stated by saying that Sebastian has never been in a car that is ready to be 5th or 8th. It´ll be interesting and see what he can actually do.
        I just thought of one thing…. Could you imagine if ALO would have switched over to RBR!!! He would´ve been in the same boat as Crashtor!! hahahaahhahaaha

Just for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEzqCcF2mps