McLaren to reveal title sponsor “in next few events”

2014 F1 season

McLaren MP4-29, above, 2014Ron Dennis says McLaren will not start the season with a title sponsor but will have one in place within the first few races.

Dennis, who took back the role of McLaren Group CEO in January, told media at the team’s base: “Our cars will not feature a title sponsor at the first event, but it will definitely feature a title sponsor in the next few events.”

Dennis likened the team’s position to that of successful football team Manchester United.

“Inevitably, when you have a run of poor results people push the rate card down.”

“I won’t accept that,” he said. I know what this company is. I know what this grand prix team can achieve and that requires the correct recognition when it comes to the commercial relationship with the principal sponsor.”

Ahead of last season McLaren announced previous title sponsor Vodafone would not be remaining with the team and that a replacement would be revealed in December. However no new sponsor has yet been announced.

Dennis indicated the team was looking for a long-term arrangement and had declined offers from sponsors looking to occupy the one-year gap between Vodafone leaving and McLaren commencing a new engine supply arrangement with Honda in 2015. “We turned away stopgaps,” he said.

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Image © McLaren/Hoch Zwei

59 comments on McLaren to reveal title sponsor “in next few events”

1. GeeMac (@geemac) said on 6th March 2014, 13:40

By all accounts Ron Dennis is very much in fighting mood, if 2014 needed something else to spice it up, we’ve got it.

• Jeanrien (@jeanrien) said on 6th March 2014, 17:56

@geemac And he also believe they have a good car this year or that wouldn’t have any sense to play that tactic … Now he can be wrong, but not a bad idea to wait a few races to raise the bids. But that’s quite give or take …
      Surprising to see such team ending up to that kind of practice

2. Mashiat (@) said on 6th March 2014, 13:40

I wonder what it’ll be. I do think that they will probably keep the same livery, except for the new sponsor replacing the MP4-29 writing on the top and the sidepods of the car.

3. Rigi (@rigi) said on 6th March 2014, 13:46

hopefully they’ll get a new livery aswell.. the chrome got really boring.

4. Chu said on 6th March 2014, 13:47

I love the livery as it is now. Hope they don’t change it.

5. OneBHK (@onebhk) said on 6th March 2014, 13:50

is it SONY?

6. iAltair (@ialtair) said on 6th March 2014, 13:56

The lack of Vodafone doesn’t make it feel more McLaren.

• Boomerang said on 6th March 2014, 14:27

I think, McLaren is much older than Vodafone. I can’t see the point in Vodafone defining the Image of McLaren F1 team.

• Panzerschreck said on 6th March 2014, 17:31

I disagree. I hated McLaren merchandise with giant Vodafone logos and title Vodafone McLaren Mercedes. WEST was a very good fit, and it shaped McLaren’s livery in following years.
      Sony would look and sound cool with McLaren.
      I think currently the coolest name on the grid is Willams Martini Racing though.
      It’s one of those moments I wish McLaren-Lamborghini partnership worked out or TAG McLaren Porsche … Oh the possibilities.

7. ME4ME (@me4me) said on 6th March 2014, 14:10

Huawei maybe? Would be the perfect way for them to get more public awareness in the “rich western world of F1″.

• BJ (@beejis60) said on 6th March 2014, 15:47

I know they were getting a little chummy with the chinese in recent months; I wouldn’t be surprised if it were in fact a chinese group.

8. petebaldwin (@petebaldwin) said on 6th March 2014, 14:37

Good news – the car just looks a bit boring as it is now….

9. mik said on 6th March 2014, 14:40

What about a good British company with a strong British heritage……struggling………..can’t think of any…………..no thats German………and thats Japanese………oh got it !….Maclaren and with a championship winning season watch them come groveling back, leave it as it is Ron love the livery now.

10. MattJ said on 6th March 2014, 14:45

“I won’t accept that,” he said. I know what this company is.

Yeah right Ron. No drivers title for 5 years. No constructors for 15 years. You’re Arsenal mate!!

11. Ricosaurus said on 6th March 2014, 14:46

Since late 2012, they had an agreement with Telmex to replace Vodafone as they major sponsor, and then comes Whitmarsh and trows away the bath water with the baby still in it. Withmarsh ridiculous efforts to secure Checo a seat elsewhere to keep the Telmex deal failed miserably. No wonder Mclaren lost his patience

12. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 6th March 2014, 15:31

This is good news as at least they will get one. McLaren have always gone for long-term deals with title sponsors (a stop-gap deal isn’t in their nature) so the wait will be worth it.

Speculation will be, and has been, rife as to who it will be. I’d say it will be out of Sony (through PlayStation), Coca-Cola, Gillette, Emirates, and Lucozade (who are not sponsors at the moment).

13. tmax (@tmax) said on 6th March 2014, 15:55

Ron Dennis is the only reason I am not a fan of McLaren !!!!

As far as McLaren is concerned they will do good. My only question is if Mercedes happen to be top notch engine do they want to risk that and go to an unproven Honda and start all over again ?

• Baron (@baron) said on 7th March 2014, 12:45

They will have exclusive rights to the Honda for at least one season – maybe more, against being a “customer” team of Mercedes, and not a preferential one at that. It is my view that McLaren will eventually develop and build their own F1 engine as they are not that far away with their P1 Hybrid motor, (almost 1,000 HP) in production now. With the road car program developing steadily, I would think it likely that this is on RD’s radar screen.

I am also glad to see RD back. It was always more interesting with the ‘Oligarchs’ of F1, even Enzo himself with his weird logic, brought much to the F1 party and who can forget the creative genius of Colin Chapman & Ken Tyrell? Now only Frank Williams & Ron Dennis remains.

14. HoHum (@hohum) said on 6th March 2014, 17:06

Since we are all speculating wildly, how-about ;
    1.New sponsor will only sign after McL prove they will be competitive this year.

2. Actually it’s a Honda buy-out of McLaren, not just an engine deal.