Williams confirm Martini sponsorship and reveal livery

2014 F1 seson

Williams have confirmed a new sponsorship deal with Martini and revealed their car’s colour scheme for 2014.

“Williams and Martini share a rich history in the world of motorsport, and the values of our two brands and our shared passion for racing make this partnership a natural fit,” said team founder Frank Williams.

“It will be great to see the distinctive stripes of Martini Racing return to Formula One once again in unison with Williams.”

The Martini history has a long history in motor racing, having appeared on Porsche sports cars, Lancia rally and sports cars, and Brabham, Lotus and Ferrari F1 cars as well as many others.

Video: Williams FW36 in action

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Images © Williams/LAT

143 comments on Williams confirm Martini sponsorship and reveal livery

1 2 3 5
  1. Veggen (@veggen) said on 6th March 2014, 11:38

Fantastic, I know which team I will support this year!

• Thomas A (@gremlinwon) said on 6th March 2014, 11:42

This is so good! those colours are amazing and if the car is quick this year they will have them for many years to come.

Need some British drivers in the team though

• joetoml1n (@joetoml1n) said on 6th March 2014, 12:18

You can pick up and drop teams you support on a yearly basis?

• Dan Brown (@danbrown180) said on 6th March 2014, 12:25

Absolutely.

• Veggen (@veggen) said on 6th March 2014, 12:39

I have always had a soft spot for Williams, but the last few years they have not really done much to be enthusiastic about.
        This year they seem to be on the right track, they have a nice driver pairing, encouraging test results, and this livery is a classic.
        They have rekindled my enthusiasm, just hope it is not another false dawn.

• JackL said on 6th March 2014, 13:00

Some amazing liveries on the grid this year (mclaren, force india, williams, marussia), its a shame the cars dont look better. It could be one of the best looking grids of all time.

• antonyob (@antonyob) said on 6th March 2014, 17:29

It’s not football dude. Usually people follow someone from their own country but you can do what you want. It’s about great racing.

• Jay Menon (@jaymenon10) said on 7th March 2014, 0:53

Yeah..been reading a lot of similar comments here..haha

Who picks a team based on livery?….hehe..maybe I’ll start supporting Arsenal next year on the basis that their kit looks good?

What a joke. Anyways, Williams is the only team I’ve ever supported (Im more of a driver supporter). I was wearing my Williams BMW T-shirt from 2003 when I read this news yesterday :)..maybe its time to get some new merch…the age of my old shirt is starting to show…haha

Great livery!…as always, I wish the best to Williams.

• Chris (@ukphillie) said on 6th March 2014, 13:06

You pick a team each year?

• Mashiat (@) said on 6th March 2014, 13:29

I pick a team every session.

• Veggen (@veggen) said on 6th March 2014, 14:06

No, I do not.
        I have never really rooted for a specific team or driver. In fact I strongly dislike blind fanboyism in any form or shape.
        However I always root for the underdog, the newcomers, the unexpected comebacks, or just an amazing performance, regardless of who the driver is or what team they drive for.
        Hopefully Williams be that team this year.
        And did I mention the livery is awesome?

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 6th March 2014, 14:57

You can be a fan and not be a fanboy – in fact most fans are about as far from fanboyish as you can get ;)

• JCost (@jcost) said on 7th March 2014, 6:42

I usually root for drivers and by consequence the team…

• Joshua Mesh (@joshua-mesh) said on 6th March 2014, 15:34

On one hand I love the car’s paint, but flip, they really did not need to photoshop the colors in the photo so much.

• Mark (@marlarkey) said on 7th March 2014, 18:13

Looks good but lets see how it drives

2. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 6th March 2014, 11:40

Looks amazing. I’m not a Williams fan but that is by far the best livery on the grid.

• The Blade Runner (@thebladerunner) said on 6th March 2014, 12:04

I agree, it’s EPIC!

Williams are my second favourite team but have hardly registered in my thoughts for years, other than Catalunya in 2012.

3. andae23 (@andae23) said on 6th March 2014, 11:40

Awesome livery. Bonus points for black wings and customized driver fonts.

• craig-o (@craig-o) said on 6th March 2014, 14:28

@andae23 Spot on. Looks quick and sleek too, with two very good drivers. I’m so glad they got the livery right!

• Euro Brun (@eurobrun) said on 6th March 2014, 15:09

Bonus points for livery? That’s not another of Bernie’s suggestions is it?

• FlyingLobster27 said on 6th March 2014, 21:21

The fact that no other team uses different fonts for different drivers shows why, IMO, the career number thing was a bad idea. It was sold on a false basis (Todt claimed NASCAR drivers had career numbers, which they do not, the teams own the numbers), and if the numbers are going to be printed in a team font, then the numbers can’t be marketed in the same way as in MotoGP. If it’s a yellow 46, it’s Rossi, but if it’s a 14 with a Tricolore struck through it, it’s not Alonso, it’s Alonso at Ferrari.
      Career numbers won’t change the racing (at least non-superstitious minds won’t think so), it’s purely cosmetic, but I think it’s been done wrong. In top notch car racing, it has always been the teams that have had the numbers. I think that if someone had to choose numbers, it should have been the teams.

Great livery for Williams, however. I hope they’ll finally get back to at least respectability.

• but I think it’s been done wrong

Well, I think you are right, but just because it has been done wrong doesn’t mean it’s a bad idea. Quite the opposite. I really like how Williams Martini Racing have given the freedom for their drivers to put the numbers’ font as they wished.

4. Love it but it needs more Martini before it hits those kerbs!!

5. gruntr18 (@gruntr18) said on 6th March 2014, 11:42

Looks great, my next F1 shirt is going to have to be a Martini one now.

6. Great livery.

I wonder what McLaren are planning on doing with their livery. I would love the classic orange.

7. Tricky (@tricky) said on 6th March 2014, 11:42

Side on, it looks like a beautiful car.

8. dutch in sweden (@dutch-in-sweden) said on 6th March 2014, 11:43

Much white, maybe they will have more sponsers coming now that it looks like they have a good package, good drivers and good backing. But I would have loved more Martini in that mix, to sweeten it up a little. It’s a bit flat.

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 6th March 2014, 12:24

They’ve announced a load of new sponsorship deals this off season in addition to Martini (Banco du Brasil, Petrobras, Genworth and it looks like an Esquire logo has slid onto the car unnoticed too). They seem to be in a much better place financially (and sporting-ly) than they have in ages.

Long may it continue!

9. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 6th March 2014, 11:45

I like that. I like that a lot.

Although, I already knew I was going to.

10. Tomsk (@tomsk) said on 6th March 2014, 11:45

Magic.
    Would have been easy to overdo it (see all the recent photoshop jobs, and Ferrari) but this is really well done job, and will stand out from all the grey and over-familiar cars around it.

11. sato113 (@sato113) said on 6th March 2014, 11:46

too much white, need to use the martini colours more. otherwise looks great!

12. Dave (@raceprouk) said on 6th March 2014, 11:47

The first 2014 car to be desktop wallpaper worthy.

Now all Williams needs to do is make some desktop wallpapers :)

13. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 6th March 2014, 11:48

Very nice. Very nice indeed.
    I like the amount of white they’ve used. The Martini colours aren’t too overbearing.

14. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 6th March 2014, 11:48

Hell yes! I was already avidly supporting Williams this season, and this has just made it better.

15. ajokay (@ajokay) said on 6th March 2014, 11:51

Where were these taken? Thats a very pretty skyline. Portimao?

• Tomsk (@tomsk) said on 6th March 2014, 11:55

Could be Mugello. I wonder if they’ve really taken the car there.

• ajokay (@ajokay) said on 6th March 2014, 12:03

Yeah, I’m beginning to wonder that too. Wouldn’t take much to stitch in a background. Or even the livery onto a plain white car.

• For Sure (@forsure) said on 6th March 2014, 12:27

Doesn’t Mugello have red and yellow kerbing? Yeah, it wouldn’t be too difficult to ‘shop in a background.

• Jack said on 6th March 2014, 21:25

Ascari Resort perhaps?

• Sander said on 7th March 2014, 0:01

The pictures are made in the photoshop world! The color differances between the background and the car are so big. This was done by an expert photoshopper. If you look at the high speed photo from the front, the front of the car seams to be floating above the tarmac.
      But the livery is amazing! so retro these stripes.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 7th March 2014, 9:41

Or by setting the camera up correctly and using a filter.

Sometimes a piece of coloured plastic is all you need.

1 2 3 5