Williams confirm Martini sponsorship and reveal livery

2014 F1 seson

Williams have confirmed a new sponsorship deal with Martini and revealed their car’s colour scheme for 2014.

“Williams and Martini share a rich history in the world of motorsport, and the values of our two brands and our shared passion for racing make this partnership a natural fit,” said team founder Frank Williams.

“It will be great to see the distinctive stripes of Martini Racing return to Formula One once again in unison with Williams.”

The Martini history has a long history in motor racing, having appeared on Porsche sports cars, Lancia rally and sports cars, and Brabham, Lotus and Ferrari F1 cars as well as many others.

Video: Williams FW36 in action

2014 F1 season

Browse all 2014 F1 season articles

Images © Williams/LAT

143 comments on Williams confirm Martini sponsorship and reveal livery

1 2 3 5
  1. Veggen (@veggen) said on 6th March 2014, 11:38

Fantastic, I know which team I will support this year!

2. DaveF1 (@davef1) said on 6th March 2014, 11:40

Looks amazing. I’m not a Williams fan but that is by far the best livery on the grid.

3. andae23 (@andae23) said on 6th March 2014, 11:40

Awesome livery. Bonus points for black wings and customized driver fonts.

• craig-o (@craig-o) said on 6th March 2014, 14:28

@andae23 Spot on. Looks quick and sleek too, with two very good drivers. I’m so glad they got the livery right!

• Euro Brun (@eurobrun) said on 6th March 2014, 15:09

Bonus points for livery? That’s not another of Bernie’s suggestions is it?

• FlyingLobster27 said on 6th March 2014, 21:21

The fact that no other team uses different fonts for different drivers shows why, IMO, the career number thing was a bad idea. It was sold on a false basis (Todt claimed NASCAR drivers had career numbers, which they do not, the teams own the numbers), and if the numbers are going to be printed in a team font, then the numbers can’t be marketed in the same way as in MotoGP. If it’s a yellow 46, it’s Rossi, but if it’s a 14 with a Tricolore struck through it, it’s not Alonso, it’s Alonso at Ferrari.
      Career numbers won’t change the racing (at least non-superstitious minds won’t think so), it’s purely cosmetic, but I think it’s been done wrong. In top notch car racing, it has always been the teams that have had the numbers. I think that if someone had to choose numbers, it should have been the teams.

Great livery for Williams, however. I hope they’ll finally get back to at least respectability.

• but I think it’s been done wrong

Well, I think you are right, but just because it has been done wrong doesn’t mean it’s a bad idea. Quite the opposite. I really like how Williams Martini Racing have given the freedom for their drivers to put the numbers’ font as they wished.

4. Love it but it needs more Martini before it hits those kerbs!!

5. gruntr18 (@gruntr18) said on 6th March 2014, 11:42

Looks great, my next F1 shirt is going to have to be a Martini one now.

6. Great livery.

I wonder what McLaren are planning on doing with their livery. I would love the classic orange.

7. Tricky (@tricky) said on 6th March 2014, 11:42

Side on, it looks like a beautiful car.

8. dutch in sweden (@dutch-in-sweden) said on 6th March 2014, 11:43

Much white, maybe they will have more sponsers coming now that it looks like they have a good package, good drivers and good backing. But I would have loved more Martini in that mix, to sweeten it up a little. It’s a bit flat.

• GeeMac (@geemac) said on 6th March 2014, 12:24

They’ve announced a load of new sponsorship deals this off season in addition to Martini (Banco du Brasil, Petrobras, Genworth and it looks like an Esquire logo has slid onto the car unnoticed too). They seem to be in a much better place financially (and sporting-ly) than they have in ages.

Long may it continue!

9. Magnificent Geoffrey (@magnificent-geoffrey) said on 6th March 2014, 11:45

I like that. I like that a lot.

Although, I already knew I was going to.

10. Tomsk (@tomsk) said on 6th March 2014, 11:45

Magic.
    Would have been easy to overdo it (see all the recent photoshop jobs, and Ferrari) but this is really well done job, and will stand out from all the grey and over-familiar cars around it.

11. sato113 (@sato113) said on 6th March 2014, 11:46

too much white, need to use the martini colours more. otherwise looks great!

12. Dave (@raceprouk) said on 6th March 2014, 11:47

The first 2014 car to be desktop wallpaper worthy.

Now all Williams needs to do is make some desktop wallpapers :)

13. Deej92 (@deej92) said on 6th March 2014, 11:48

Very nice. Very nice indeed.
    I like the amount of white they’ve used. The Martini colours aren’t too overbearing.

14. electrolite (@electrolite) said on 6th March 2014, 11:48

Hell yes! I was already avidly supporting Williams this season, and this has just made it better.

15. ajokay (@ajokay) said on 6th March 2014, 11:51

Where were these taken? Thats a very pretty skyline. Portimao?

• Tomsk (@tomsk) said on 6th March 2014, 11:55

Could be Mugello. I wonder if they’ve really taken the car there.

• Jack said on 6th March 2014, 21:25

Ascari Resort perhaps?

• Sander said on 7th March 2014, 0:01

The pictures are made in the photoshop world! The color differances between the background and the car are so big. This was done by an expert photoshopper. If you look at the high speed photo from the front, the front of the car seams to be floating above the tarmac.
      But the livery is amazing! so retro these stripes.

• Dave (@raceprouk) said on 7th March 2014, 9:41

Or by setting the camera up correctly and using a filter.

Sometimes a piece of coloured plastic is all you need.

1 2 3 5